Advising one who does not pray

Alisha

I've a friend who likes to pray five times a day, and he likes to advise others to pray. He'll listen to whatever I talk about Islam. Whenever I approach him he'll listen to me and I tell him, why can't you pray? He told me he will, and I have heard this for the past ten to twenty years. One day I call him to pray and he gives excuses. I think that during prayer time his mind goes somewhere else; after that he thinks "why can't I pray?". I am very tired of telling him. I need advice.

:salam2: When Allah the Almighty ordered Muslims to pray He warned those who delay the prayer after its designated time, saying:
"So woe to the worshippers Who are neglectful Of their prayers" [Surat Al-ma'oon 107:4-5]
it is a major sin to neglect salah intentionally. However, according to majority of Ahl al Sunnah, a person becomes kafir when he/she denies or rejects the basic principles of Islam, but he will not become kafir simply by negligence of some obligations.

AbuKhalid

Quote: I've a friend who likes to pray five times a day, and he likes to advise others to pray. He'll listen to whatever I talk about Islam. Whenever I approach him he'll listen to me and I tell him, why can't you pray? He told me he will,

I'm not sure I understood ... u said he prays 5 times and advise others likewise. But later u said he doesnt? can u explain a lil bit more plz

But anyway, if u mean he doesnt, so this is not good as even the hypocrites prayed (to be seen anyway, but in his case as long as there is some eemaan at leat he will accomplish his obligation): " They delay the prayer to the last possible time ... at which they quickly peck the ground as the crow does." "And Allah says" When u call to prayer they make a mockery and a game of it" taken from sifaat al munafiqoon (characteristics of the hypocrites) by Ibnul Qayyim

I've read a fatwa from islamqa.com about a similar issue of abandoning prayers. It is not my intention to make takfeer here, and I wont but it is good to know about a hadeeth that mentions that salaat is what differenciates a muslim from a kaafir (i dont have the exact wording for this hadeeth). it seems in his case, he abandoned salat?

acedoc

Salat is it a requirement to be a Muslim???

Asalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh

[/QUOTE]""I've read a fatwa from islamqa.com about a similar issue of abandoning prayers. It is not my intention to make takfeer here, and I wont but it is good to know about a hadeeth that mentions that salaat is what differenciates a muslim from a kaafir (i dont have the exact wording for this hadeeth). it seems in his case, he abandoned salat?[/QUOTE]\

"Then there has succeeded them a posterity who have neglected and lost the prayers, and followed their lusts; thus, they will face devastation (on the Day of Judgment, i.e., he will face Hell)." Surat Maryam 19:59.

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The covenant that stands between us and them is prayer; whoever gives it up is a kaafir.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2621; al-Nasaa’i, 463; Ibn Maajah, 1079; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever hears the call to prayer and does not respond, his prayer is not valid unless he has an excuse.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 793; also by al-Daaraqutni and al-Haakim, who classed it as saheeh; also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

The Prophet (SWS) said, "What is between a person and committing shirk (associating partners with Allaah) and kufr (disbelief) is abandoning the prayer." (Sahih Muslim, #82)

"The obligation and pact between us and them (the munaafiqeen, the hypocrites) is the prayer, so whoever abandons it has indeed committed kufr (i.e., become a kaafir, a non-believer)." (Tirmidhi, hadeeth #2621, and it is sahih)

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
He told me he will, and I have heard this for the past ten to twenty years. One day I call him to pray and he gives excuses. I think that during prayer time his mind goes somewhere else; after that he thinks "why can't I pray?". I am very tired of telling him. I need advice.

Well, if u have been advising him for 10 to 20 years, u sure got sabr...:mashallah:

If he doesnt, why dont u concentrate your efforts on advising others who are more deserving than those who dont listen. :angryblue: