Allahu Akbar --- How the Arab Springs and Hijab changed my Life

Fatima Amenda

Suban’Allah I began studying Islam just after the Egyptian revolution in 2011. Friday February 11 2011 renewed my faith 110 percent the power of prayer is powerful for a reason, that the will of Allah swt answered the prayers from the unity of Egyptians. The Arab Springs in Egypt to me was a great sign and invitation of a mass Exodus for the world watching to Muslims and Non Muslim alike to leave behind our vain desires of sin including our never ending attachment to our iPhones, iPads, iPods, so many ‘i’s connecting to the world of space age technology (used for the wrong reasons, instead of righteous actions). It was a call to prayer to come towards the right path, not to be lost anymore and left behind. Allah swt reminds us in many ayats throughout the Qur’an about a specific lifestyle, as we know as Muslims these messages are timeless:

“Then, after them, We sent Moses with our tokens unto Pharaoh and his chiefs, but they repelled them. Now, see the nature of the consequence for the corrupters! (7.103).

Living in the society and lifestyle I was raised the pressures of vanity had put a price tag on my life especially my insecurities (cosmetics industry first gained 82 million dollars in 1912, in 1967, 7 billion dollars, 2007 $170 Billion dollars to change the way a woman looks and smells). What we are told is a carefree spirit in the freewill society is really enslaving our spirit with a heavy price to pay; in the end if we don’t heed the warnings we suffer great regrets in our individual life and as a community.

Wearing the hijab is one of the many true gifts and blessing from Allah swt. During my first year of study in 2011 and first half of 2012, Suban’Allah I began changing, from being concerned about my hair and makeup to wearing a hat, buying lose clothing and began discarding wearing makeup. I realized even with mascara I couldn’t perform proper ablution. Alhamdulillah after making Shahada on July 21 2012 I was ready to wear hijab, not only was I ready I was excited although it didn’t come easy.

Beginning to wear hijab and discarding all makeup was a difficult transition because I would look in the mirror and didn’t feel I was looking at me, the person I knew nor did I see a Muslim looking back. I would cry while hearing this voice in my head telling me to stop wearing this hijab but I didn’t give up instead I would pray to Allah Subana wa Ta’ala, Please Allah! Let me love my hijab. I would pray when I performed ablution to wipe away the vanity from my eyes.

I would struggle with how to wear one while looking in the mirror. It was taking me an hour to learn to wrap one where I would feel comfortable, I would watch Youtube videos and realized I was wrapping my hijab right but this was an inner struggle of my outer vanity, so I would pray to Allah Subana Wa Ta’ala to give me ease in wearing my hijab. It took months of fighting in the mirror if I wanted to go out taking sometimes an hour and in tears until one day I cried so much because I didn’t want to stop wearing my hijab but to stop this fuss in the mirror. I was crying so hard when I felt a gentle tug at my heart telling me to go try one more time and so I did. Alhamdulillah it took me five minutes to wrap and was so easy Suban’Allah, when this happened I also saw a Muslimah looking back, not the deception of my eyes anymore that the mirror wanted to confuse me with.

“O Allah! Purify my heart of hypocrisy, my actions of pretence, my tongue of lies and my eyes of deception. For You know well the deception of the eye and all that is concealed in the heart “[Kanz al-Ummal of Ali al-Muttaqi]

The concept of the ‘makeup your face, perfume your body’ was all I knew, Suban’Allah I felt so liberated and given dignity as a woman when I became part of the Islamic community and realized beauty comes from the mind and spirit, the inner self, the outer self is just an illusion (test) on what we want others to perceive about us, but even more, how we perceive ourselves.

Allah Subana Wa Ta’ala promised Muslim woman when we wear a hijab we are recognized, and as more women become Muslim the more womenof strength will show the world a woman in hijab is to be respected. A hijab/niqab/burka wearing woman is not oppression, telling a Muslim woman we can’t wear one and be covered up or shouldn’t wear one, is oppression. We are intelligent human beings who are more then a hijab , instead the hijab is a large part of our identity so we can be recognized as an individual and not be annoyed.

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)

The Beauty of a Muslim woman is felt more then seen and we don’t want to become just another face in the crowd, if we do it is then we will actually loose our identity and risk being put on the market for every Tom, Dick and Harry to think they can approach us with unclean thoughts or intentions, instead they see a woman not to be annoyed because we submit with the Prophet of Allah :saw:

ouddene bouziane

we agree that hijab surely will change your life
but Arab Spring is going in the wrong way
all our hopes starts disappearing one after another
none is happy to what is happening in Tunisia .Liby Egypt and so on.

Searching_soul

Assalamu Alaikum

May Allah (Subhana wa'tala) Bless you sis. Ameen

We All struggle in life in various ways. Allah tests us in order to make us better because HE alone knows our potential. And he wouldn't burden us more than what we can bear out of his Infinite mercy. If you are struggling with something sis, know that You can overcome it. And if you see someone else going through even a tougher life than yours, then also know that Allah knew you couldn't bear this.

Fatima Amenda

we agree that hijab surely will change your life
but Arab Spring is going in the wrong way
all our hopes starts disappearing one after another
none is happy to what is happening in Tunisia .Liby Egypt and so on.
Walikum asalamu warahmutullahi wabarakahu, Yes hijab is life changer for a woman who comes from a background of what is believed is democracy is really spiritual oppression. Does anyone in my society care that the half naked model ads growing up, brainwashing of the entertainment business, women's lib etc that made me feel I had to be someone I'm not, sound like, "a form of government in which all eligible citizens have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives" (democracy in other words). Suban'Allah the Arab Springs had me re-evaluate my lifestyle (my wrong use of technology and way of life I was programmed into) and brought me toward Islam and the right way of life and worship because what I recognized that day was what seemed I had spent my life reading about in the Bible. May Allah Subana Wa Ta'ala ease the burdens of our brothers and sisters and bring peace to the oppressed ... Ameen

Fatima Amenda

Assalamu Alaikum

May Allah (Subhana wa'tala) Bless you sis. Ameen

We All struggle in life in various ways. Allah tests us in order to make us better because HE alone knows our potential. And he wouldn't burden us more than what we can bear out of his Infinite mercy. If you are struggling with something sis, know that You can overcome it. And if you see someone else going through even a tougher life than yours, then also know that Allah knew you couldn't bear this.
JazakAllah Khairan

shah mir

Banned
Suban’Allah I began studying Islam just after the Egyptian revolution in 2011. Friday February 11 2011 renewed my faith 110 percent the power of prayer is powerful for a reason, that the will of Allah swt answered the prayers from the unity of Egyptians. The Arab Springs in Egypt to me was a great sign and invitation of a mass Exodus for the world watching to Muslims and Non Muslim alike to leave behind our vain desires of sin including our never ending attachment to our iPhones, iPads, iPods, so many ‘i’s connecting to the world of space age technology (used for the wrong reasons, instead of righteous actions). It was a call to prayer to come towards the right path, not to be lost anymore and left behind. Allah swt reminds us in many ayats throughout the Qur’an about a specific lifestyle, as we know as Muslims these messages are timeless:

“Then, after them, We sent Moses with our tokens unto Pharaoh and his chiefs, but they repelled them. Now, see the nature of the consequence for the corrupters! (7.103).

Living in the society and lifestyle I was raised the pressures of vanity had put a price tag on my life especially my insecurities (cosmetics industry first gained 82 million dollars in 1912, in 1967, 7 billion dollars, 2007 $170 Billion dollars to change the way a woman looks and smells). What we are told is a carefree spirit in the freewill society is really enslaving our spirit with a heavy price to pay; in the end if we don’t heed the warnings we suffer great regrets in our individual life and as a community.

Wearing the hijab is one of the many true gifts and blessing from Allah swt. During my first year of study in 2011 and first half of 2012, Suban’Allah I began changing, from being concerned about my hair and makeup to wearing a hat, buying lose clothing and began discarding wearing makeup. I realized even with mascara I couldn’t perform proper ablution but this was during my study. Alhamdulillah after making Shahada on July 21 2012 I was ready to wear hijab, not only was I ready I was excited although it didn’t come easy.

Beginning to wear hijab and discarding all makeup was a difficult transition because I would look in the mirror and didn’t feel I was looking at me, the person I knew nor did I see a Muslim looking back. I would cry while hearing this voice in my head telling me to stop wearing this hijab but I didn’t give up instead I would pray to Allah Subana wa Ta’ala, Please Allah! Let me love my hijab. I would pray when I performed ablution to wipe away the vanity from my eyes.

I would struggle with how to wear one while looking in the mirror. It was taking me an hour to learn to wrap one where I would feel comfortable, I would watch Youtube videos and realized I was wrapping my hijab right but this was an inner struggle of my outer vanity, so I would pray to Allah Subana Wa Ta’ala to give me ease in wearing my hijab. It took months of fighting in the mirror if I wanted to go out taking sometimes an hour and in tears until one day I cried so much because I didn’t want to stop wearing my hijab but to stop this fuss in the mirror. I was crying so hard when I felt a gentle tug at my heart telling me to go try one more time and so I did. Alhamdulillah it took me five minutes to wrap and was so easy Suban’Allah, when this happened I also saw a Muslimah looking back, not the deception of my eyes anymore that the mirror wanted to confuse me with.

“O Allah! Purify my heart of hypocrisy, my actions of pretence, my tongue of lies and my eyes of deception. For You know well the deception of the eye and all that is concealed in the heart “[Kanz al-Ummal of Ali al-Muttaqi]

The concept of the ‘makeup your face, perfume your body’ was all I knew, Suban’Allah I felt so liberated and given dignity as a woman when I became part of the Islamic community and realized beauty comes from the mind and spirit, the inner self, the outer self is just an illusion (test) on what we want others to perceive about us, but even more, how we perceive ourselves.

Allah Subana Wa Ta’ala promised Muslim woman when we wear a hijab we are recognized, and as more women become Muslim the more womenof strength will show the world a woman in hijab is to be respected. A hijab/niqab/burka wearing woman is not oppression, telling a Muslim woman we can’t wear one and be covered up or shouldn’t wear one, is oppression. We are intelligent human beings who are more then a hijab , instead the hijab is a large part of our identity so we can be recognized as an individual and not be annoyed.

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)

The Beauty of a Muslim woman is felt more then seen and we don’t want to become just another face in the crowd, if we do it is then we will actually loose our identity and risk being put on the market for every Tom, Dick and Harry to think they can approach us with unclean thoughts or intentions, instead they see a woman not to be annoyed because we’re with the Prophet of Allah :saw:
The beauty of muslim Lady is in the truthfulness of her soul!! If you read 33:59 correctly, it is telling us that a muslim women should not reveal their shameful parts when going out. Following were the common practices of woman of those days:

1. Not covering breasts
2. Going out at night for call of nature, in dress with which they were with husbands at night.

Word Hijab is only used once in Quran, where it tells male to talk to the wives of the Prophet (PBUH) from behind the vale.

Hijab of nowadays is a total Salafi concept and male ego, and arabic culture. It died down completely, till the 18th Centuary and revived again by Wahab (A human) and his followers are called now Wahabis.

Just remember one thing, any law given by humans is bound to fail. Any Law driven by ALLAH and Hia Massanger (PBUH) is true and will never fail

Fatima Amenda

The beauty of muslim Lady is in the truthfulness of her soul!! If you read 33:59 correctly, it is telling us that a muslim women should not reveal their shameful parts when going out. Following were the common practices of woman of those days:

1. Not covering breasts
2. Going out at night for call of nature, in dress with which they were with husbands at night.

Word Hijab is only used once in Quran, where it tells male to talk to the wives of the Prophet (PBUH) from behind the vale.

Hijab of nowadays is a total Salafi concept and male ego, and arabic culture. It died down completely, till the 18th Centuary and revived again by Wahab (A human) and his followers are called now Wahabis.

Just remember one thing, any law given by humans is bound to fail. Any Law driven by ALLAH and Hia Massanger (PBUH) is true and will never fail
Mash'Allah, I am very interested in this history you speak about the Hijab as nowadays is Salafi concept but was revived in 18th century by Wahhabis. Pls forgive me if I misunderstood, what is meant by a Salafi concept when is written in Quran for the believing women to cover themselves, not just the wives and daughters of the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam, although the Mothers of the Believers would have been first to be covered and who as Muslim women we are to have as our role models. How does male ego play into hijab? JazakAllah Khair

Fatima Amenda

Mash'Allah, I am very interested in this history you speak about the Hijab as nowadays is Salafi concept but was revived in 18th century by Wahhabis. Pls forgive me if I misunderstood, what is meant by a Salafi concept when is written in Quran for the believing women to cover themselves, not just the wives and daughters of the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam, although the Mothers of the Believers would have been first to be covered and who as Muslim women we are to have as our role models. How does male ego play into hijab? JazakAllah Khair[/quote

Suban'Allah, I have told this story a few times about how I prayed to Allah Subana Wa Ta'ala for me to rid me of my vanity and the society in which I was programmed because I was so unhappy in this materialistic look society to be that instead of a believing woman of Islam which includes wearing hijab to also say I am Muslim and I am a believer as I am not ashamed of showing I am a believer of Islam. Sadly I have received no positive response from men or women of the Muslim faith about wearing hijab, only negative comments like hijab is just an oppressive tool for women, and this is from Muslims! My experience since I have been on both sides, I've never felt so beautiful and dignified as I have since I started wearing hijab. I get respect as a lady now as I should instead of the unwanted advances of yesteryear.

Fatima Amenda

Alhamdulillah, The Arab Springs didn't just belong to a specific group of people, nor specific countries but was given to all the believers around the world who were oppressed in one way or another as there are many different types of oppressors and oppression. Mine came in the form of mental, physical, emotional and spiritual oppression, Suban'Allah, I was freed and I thank the Arab Springs and Egyptian revolution for this for what I witnessed even from afar was something I had been waiting and praying to happen for a very long time. I do not trivialize what our brothers and sisters are having to endure in Syria, Egypt, Libya, Palastine and the many countries to list, Alhamdulillah the Arab Springs in Egypt led me out of harms way and to safety and I pray everyday the same will happen for all our brothers and sisters around the world who are waiting for their burdens to be lifted and to find peace in their life. Insha'Allah it will happen soon.

Islam!!yay

Subhan'Allah! Allah SWT Works in the Most beautiful Ways. It may seem strange to us at first but Allah SWT Always has a plan and Allah describes Himself as The Best of Planners and Indeed He is Subhan'Allah!

shah mir

Banned
First you have to understand the word
jalābībihinna
, which is a garment worn by the arab ladies. It was like a coat, covering shape of their body. Quran only talks about covering shameful parts. The dress it refers to is the one which does not reveal body attractive parts below the neck and it was applicable to both men and women. So it refers to dress in which our shameful parts are not revealed to each other. No where in Quran it talks about covering Head, Face etc.

The people follow Hijab due to a hadith by Abu Dawood, although it was termed Dhaif by Bukari. Salefi's follow a very simple concept: " Do what our ancestor used to do", which is in direct contradiction with teachings of BOOK and Prophet (PBUH)

Fatima Amenda

Mash'Allah, thank you for explaining this to me. I will choose to wear hijab and always pray to Allah Subana Wa Ta'ala for me to love my hijab and that no one ever tells me I cannot wear a hijab or if I choose, a niqab or burka as my role models for women in the world are the Mothers of the Believers and they wore covering. I do not wear niqab or burka for reasons Allah Subana wa Ta'ala knows, not that I wouldn't but at this time Allah Subana Wa Ta'ala knows why. I do however never go out of my home even to check mail without hijab, I am respected more dressed in this manner I have noticed more then the style and way of life I once led. May Allah Subana Wa Ta'ala keep us all guided on the straight path to Jannah ... Ameen

shah mir

Banned
Good!! If you want to choose it as part of culture then its fine!! Taking it as part of religion is wrong!! Anything which ALLAH and HIS Prophet (PBUH) has not told us to do is not part of Religion.

Fatima Amenda

Good!! If you want to choose it as part of culture then its fine!! Taking it as part of religion is wrong!! Anything which ALLAH and HIS Prophet (PBUH) has not told us to do is not part of Religion.

Mash'Allah, I used to work in the Salon business, and so I know a bit about women's hair and how the 'sexy' of the hair is, which by the way is a $20 billion dollar a year industry in itself. So I consider women's hair, adornment. As far as the neck, to many men enjoy looking at the long neck line with the sexy hair style. I would rather cover them both. And the respect I speak about I notice now then before, is from Allah Subana Wa Ta'ala ,as I have been given more faith, inner strength, peace of mind, serenity, wisdom and steadfastness in these past two years then I ever had in the 43 years prior. How others treat me is solely their free will and not my concern unless it is displeasing to my Lord. Allahu Akbar

shah mir

Banned
yeah!! that what I said, that you feel goo then do it!! if linking with religion, then direction is bound to go wrong!! talking about industry then underwear, shorts for men, men showing their bodies is much much bigger industry then hair!!

shah mir

Banned
This the mistake we do i.e. mixing culture with religion. Resultant of it is that we forget the original religion by running around cultural things

Fatima Amenda

This the mistake we do i.e. mixing culture with religion. Resultant of it is that we forget the original religion by running around cultural things

Why are you so upset I speak about hijab wearing as a good thing, you act out like it is bad thing. You are a man who wants to see women's hair and neckline, that's your free will, I choose to explain to women the benefits of wearing hijab, Suban'Allah since I'm a woman ... makes sense

Fatima Amenda

Why are you so upset I speak about hijab wearing as a good thing, you act out like it is bad thing. You are a man who wants to see women's hair and neckline, that's your free will, I choose to explain to women the benefits of wearing hijab, Suban'Allah since I'm a woman ... makes sense
Alhamdulillah, since I am woman who has now experience of both sides, I will always encourage hijab wearing as we are told is the right way of life in the Qur'an as I know, in my heart, a woman's hair and neckline is a sexual quality