Ancient Arab Graffiti

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a picture of what is considered (to date) the oldest dated Islamic inscription, from 24H, when the Rightly Guided Caliph ‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – RadhiAllahu'Anhu – was assassinated.

It is located at Al-’Ulâ in present day Saudi Arabia. It is one of a number of ‘graffiti’ inscriptions made by travelers and pilgrims from the first few centuries of Islâm.

attachment.php

A Trace of the text of the inscription:
attachment.php

This inscription can be translated as follows:

In the Name of Allah

I, Zuhayr, wrote [this] at the time ‘Umar died, in the year four and twenty [24H]

Next to this inscription, it readsas follows:

I am Zuhayr, Mawlâ of the Bani Salamah [tribe]

UNESCO included this amazing archaeological find in its Memory of the World Register of Documentary Collections. An update entry states:

Saudi Arabia – Earliest Islamic (Kufic1) Inscription. This very well preserved inscription is located on a red sandstone block of rock south of Qa'a al Muatadil, north of Sharma in al-Ula, northwest of Saudi Arabia on the ancient trade and pilgrimage route connecting the early Islamic city of al-Mabiyat with Madain Saleh. It is the oldest Islamic inscription found so far. It mentions the date of the death of the second Caliph of Islam, Omar bin al-Khattab and reads as follows: “In the name of God, I Zuhair wrote the date of the death of Omar the year four and twenty (Hegrah)”. Caliph Omar bin al-Khattab died on the last night of the month of Dul-Hajj of the year 23 Hegrah, and was buried next day on the first day of Muharram of the new year 24 Hegrah (corresponding to 644 AD).

1. The discoverers and local experts say the script is Hijâzî, not Kufic.​

Attachments

• zuhayr_Graffiti1.jpg
    zuhayr_Graffiti1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 276
  • zuhayr_Graffiti1-trace.jpg
    zuhayr_Graffiti1-trace.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 299

strive-may-i

:wasalam:
STUFF! Do you know of more such inscriptions, am eager to know and hear more... bring it on.

jazakallaahu khairan!

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

A sister shared this with me recently: Incscripton of Zuhayr

There's also a link at the bottom for other Arabic/Islamic inscriptions. I havent gone through the whole site, but it certainly looks interesting, so I hope it benefits insha'Allaah.

wasalaam