Answer to An Introduction to the Salafi Da'wah

Status
Not open for further replies.

cihan

Left The Website
As salamu aleykum wr wb brothers and sisters ;

After the thread "An Introduction to the Salafi Da'wah" closed our brother Muharram23 opened the thread for himself then posted his reply and then he closed it again..in his post he asks brother or sister DNA1987 to show him a hadith from Rasulullah(s.a.w) if "muslim is enough" ...look at here please >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna1987
"""""^ Yes, true, we are against the celebration of the Prophet's (saw) birthday as it is a deviation -

But as I asked earlier: "Show me a hadith where our Prophet saw said that saying "Muslim" is not enough". Salam alaikum. """"""

salamu alaykum

you give me a hadeeth where he says "muslim is enough"

Wasalam

Now i want to post not hadith but SOME AYATHs for reply..without my desires , without my own opinions etc...

Al-Bakara
(132) And the same did Ibrahim enjoin on his sons and
(so did) Yaqoub. O my sons! surely Allah has chosen for you
(this) faith, therefore die not unless you are muslims.

Ali-Imran
(64) Say: O followers of the Book! come to an equitable
proposition between us and you that we shall not serve any
but Allah and (that) we shall not associate aught with Him,
and (that) some of us shall not take others for lords
besides Allah; but if they turn back, then say: Bear witness
that we are muslims.

Ali-Imran
(102) O you who believe! be careful of (your duty to) Allah
with the care which is due to Him, and do not die unless you
are muslims.

Al-Hajj
(78) And strive hard in (the way of) Allah, (such) a striving
a is due to Him; He has chosen you and has not laid upon
you an hardship in religion; the faith of your father
Ibrahim; He named you muslims before and in this, that the
Apostle may be a bearer of witness to you, and you may be
bearers of witness to the people; therefore keep up prayer
and pay the poor-rate and hold fast by Allah; He is your
Guardian; how excellent the Guardian and how excellent the
Helper!

ADH-DHARIYAT
(36) But We did not find therein save a (single) house of
those who submitted (the muslims).

AL-HUJURAT
(17) They think that they lay you under an obligation by
becoming muslims. Say: Lay me not under obligation by your
Islam: rather Allah lays you under an obligation by guiding
you to the faith if you are truthful.

Al-Hijr
(2) Often will those who disbelieve wish that they had been
muslims.

Al-Imran
(80) And neither would he enjoin you that you should take
the angels and the prophets for lords; what! would he enjoin
you with unbelief after you are muslims?

Translated by M.H. Shakir
Allah Hafiz

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
wa`alaykum us-salaam

This has not proved anything... Except you know how to find the word Muslim in the Qur'aan, and how not to read my posts. You seriously should have read my post in response to him akhi, I invite you to do so here (the second half of it, after the quote). In addition he did not un-close the thread to reply, mods can still write in closed threads!

cihan

Left The Website
wa`alaykum us-salaam

This has not proved anything... Except you know how to find the word Muslim in the Qur'aan, and how not to read my posts. You seriously should have read my post in response to him akhi. In addition he did not un-close the thread to reply, mods can still write in closed threads!

As salamu aleykum wr wb

Al-An'am
159. Surely they who divided their religion into parts and became sects, you have no concern with them; their affair is only with Allah, then He will inform them of what they did.

Look brother i try to tell you something but you don't understand me...i will give you some examples>>> Just for the difference of their skin colour people killed eachother , just for being supporters of 2 different teams has 2 different names and colours people killed each other...you can find more examples....where satan see a difference , he likes to put his fithna between them...i hope you understand me...Also my preview post proved so many things...

Allah Hafiz

As salamu aleykum wr wb

Al-An'am
159. Surely they who divided their religion into parts and became sects, you have no concern with them; their affair is only with Allah, then He will inform them of what they did.

Look brother i try to tell you something but you don't understand me...i will give you some examples>>> Just for the difference of their skin colour people killed eachother , just for being supporters of 2 different teams has 2 different names and colours people killed each other...you can find more examples....where satan see a difference , he likes to put his fithna between them...i hope you understand me...Also my preview post proved so many things...

Allah Hafiz

Asalaamalikum,

With all due respect to the moderators, I totally agree with you. It's for this very reason that the Muslim ummah is divided, where it has caused one group to think they are superior, better, more knowledgeable than the other. Wherever we differ in then Allah swt is the judge. The Quran is the word of Allah swt. When the Quran says to call yourself Muslim then Muslim we shall be. May Allah swt unite us all. Ameen.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu dear brothers and sisters

Its better to have these type of conversations in private rather than making it public. We should never get irritated from some brother or sister, just because he said something and that offended us, even though he never meant to offend. Now I dont know whether this is offensive or not. These are put by shaitan into our heads. We should always be careful about it. We have to guard our thinking because its the starting point to all our actions.

wa/salam

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barkatuhu

Firstly, it is true that had you wanted to specify someone you should have PMed them directly. Second if you are to pose a question, please do it in a polite and open manner and not as the aggressor in the case. This shows lack of maturity and a closed mind before one begins you see? If we want to find something we have to be able to first - Stop - Think - then - Question. Or else the process is skewed and the mind just flares in anger and writes something in the spurn of the moment. I admitt to having done that before and it does not make matters any better.

However, to me personally what undermines the work of people who post is when people fail to read.

If you had looked at the posts in the mentioned thread, as I had done before continuing to read this one you would notice a few points... :

The fact that we are called Muslim Does Not Change. The Qur'aan ayat you posted that Allah subhana wa 'tala calls us Muslims is 100% true, and that still applies. We all still say we are Muslims. What was trying to be put across in the other threads (to the best of my understanding) was that this is the core of all of our belief, as being a Muslim is submitting to Islaam and we all agree to that yes?

Afterwards we all agree that we follow the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad sallahu alayhi wa sallam yes? - Then we are Sunni

If you disagree on any of the points, perhaps that is where one might need rectification first.

After that we also agree that the Salaf of the past were of the best of mankind and consquently some of the best examples and sources of knowledge for us, as well as people whom we seek to follow. - Then we are Salafi (i.e. trying or aiming to follow our religion in accordance to the way of the Pious Predecessors)

How can one go two-thirds then fail on the last bit? And if one does, then remember the ahadith:

Zahdam ibn Mudrab narrated: I heard 'Imraan ibn Husayn saying: The Prophet
(sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

((The best people are those living in my generation, then those coming after
them, and then those coming after (the second generation). )), [Saheeh al-Bukhaaree, 3/219];

'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) narrated: The Prophet
(sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

((The people of my generation are the best, then those who follow them, and
then those who follow the latter)), [Saheeh al-Bukhaaree, 3/820];

'Aa.ishah (radhi-yallaahu 'anhaa) narrated that: A person asked Allaah's
Apostle (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) as to who amongst the people were
the best. He said:

((Of the generation to which I belong, then of the second generation
(generation adjacent to my generation), then of the third generation
(generation adjacent to the second generation). )), [Saheeh Muslim 6159].

Therefore, if you agree on the second point, would one not also agree on the third? If you say you follow the Sunnah then do you not also follow those whom the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa salam also credited as the best of mankind?

Of course as has been stated, certain belief also falls under this following as in accordance to what is correct. In the past such things were not needed, as there were no sects, and no divisions and people had no need to clarify their position.

Now however, what I dont understand, is why this is turning into such a big deal? It is just a description of a type of people who have certain beliefs, which must be put up against those who believe otherwise. In a resturant why dont people go and complain about why there are signs for the smoker areas and the non-smoker areas??? (though i think most resturants are smoke-free) ... It separates those who choose to be afflicted with second hand smoke and their brethren from those who wish to breathe clear air. We're all still humans, yet, personally, I'd say I sit or try to sit in the non-smoker area anyday.

Allahu 'Alem ... that's just my understanding. Please forgive me for any mistakes I may have theirin as my knowledge is very much limited.

wasalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Wa`alaykum us-salaam warahmatullahi wabarakaatuh.

Let me remind you that the scholars of this ummah from the early generations use to refute and dedicate writings against the people of other sects, that is the well known Imam's who we know and love. Anyone who has studied the history of Islaam and is able to derive benefits from it will know that the only thing that will unite the Muslims is to unite upon the one true, correct `aqeedah. Whomsoever says otherwise, then their speech amazes me because history provides sufficient evidence for the claims. For example, Khazraj and Aws were united upon the correct creed after being enemies.

When the Indian Muslims fought to save their lands from hegemony and foreign rule, the people who actually fought were united upon tawhid and the sunnah, equally rejecting shirk and bid`ah. It was the people of innovation who outlawed Jihad in favour of the British and became their side kicks! And ultimately aided in the destruction of Islaam in the sub-continent.

In the haram, there use to be a seperate prayer hall for the hanafis, malikis, shafi`is and hanbalis! King `Abdul-`Aziz of Saud united them, such that there was only one prayer hall. He and the followers of Sulaymaan at-Tamimi, who were abundant were united under the banner of tawhid and sunnah.

I can't think of a time when the people were united upon correct aqeedah, they have been unsuccessful. Sadly most people today apply their own understanding before using any qur'aan and sunnah and some how conclude the opposite (they use their intellects and then find proofs to support their intellects)!? So they are the first to sign these so called petitions of unity which have not worked once even though we have seen hundreds of them.

As salamu aleykum wr wb

Al-An'am

Above, I spoke about those who use their intellects before application of Qur'aan and Sunnah. Well I just read the tafsir of this verse,
"Mujaahid, Qataadah, Ad-Dahhaak and As-Suddi said that this Ayah was revealed about the Jews and the Christians.." [Tafsir Ibn Kathir, At-Tabari 12:269-270]

I rest my case... nothing else significant or supporting your claim was found in the tafsir.

I dont get it. Why people repeating again and again the hadiths about the importance of sahaba and the salaf. THe point is with the name of salafi. Before 100 years ago people didn´t make advertisement himself as a salafi. His attitude prove that that he was a follower of salaf. he didn´t get a title "salafi".So this whole thing is new for the ummah and for this reason raising a lot of question why the word salafi. For the ummah its whole new thing to see someone name as abu maryam al salafi, abu abdullah al salafi. Why that? Since when such names are became popular? Allah called us muslims tht doesn´t seem us importent but we take the title"salafi" so we are saved? What if a great scholar dont call him self as a salafi? THen Shaitan will spread fitna into the hearts of muslims that this scholar is not the right one because he didn´t call him self as a salafi. Because salafi is the saved group. If salafi is not only the group which is only ahle sunnah waal jamah then there is also no need to separate themself with a title. But if anybody says only and only salafis are ahle sunnah waal jamah then i have no word to say . allah is only who can judge. THis game is enough , just playing with again again with the title of salafi or ahle sunah waal jamah.

Sorry no offen to anyone.

People can claim a lot of thing. As i allready said people first claim to be a muslim then fake muslims were there. Then they claim to be from ahle sunnah waal jamah, then there come also fitna. Then with title sunni , then now again fitna. And now people thing to be saved by using title salafi but verily believe me there are allready people with this title under the muslims.

I am just waiting for a new thread where weak muslims will again ask about a new title and my respected moderators will answer them.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I dont get it. Why people repeating again and again the hadiths about the importance of sahaba and the salaf. THe point is with the name of salafi. Before 100 years ago people didn´t make advertisement himself as a salafi. His attitude prove that that he was a follower of salaf. he didn´t get a title "salafi".So this whole thing is new for the ummah and for this reason raising a lot of question why the word salafi. For the ummah its whole new thing to see someone name as abu maryam al salafi, abu abdullah al salafi. Why that? Since when such names are became popular? Allah called us muslims tht doesn´t seem us importent but we take the title"salafi" so we are saved? What if a great scholar dont call him self as a salafi? THen Shaitan will spread fitna into the hearts of muslims that this scholar is not the right one because he didn´t call him self as a salafi. Because salafi is the saved group. If salafi is not only the group which is only ahle sunnah waal jamah then there is also no need to separate themself with a title. But if anybody says only and only salafis are ahle sunnah waal jamah then i have no word to say . allah is only who can judge. THis game is enough , just playing with again again with the title of salafi or ahle sunah waal jamah.

Sorry no offen to anyone.

In the earlier centuries it was a new thing to be called, Abu Abdullah Al-Hanafi, Abu Abdur-Rahman Al-Maliki etc. No one says anything about that. People were and still do flash "Hanafi" all over the joint, and then shun using the word salafi when as we have said, it has basis in the sunnah of the Messenger, sal-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, for he used the Asl of the word. But he didn't once use one of the names of the madhhaahib with any special regard...

Only used 100 years ago? Surely Adh-Dhahabee was from the medi-evil period.

To be honest akh junaid, I am fed up with the repitition myself. But it is clear to me that people are ignoring or just not understanding some of the points and clear proofs. The only reason I'm bothering now is because people are starting to give out their own opinions as if they are scholars or researchers, therefore falling into dangerous mistakes or explaining the Qur'aan and Sunnah, other than how the righteous Imams have explained them.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Al-An'am

Check out the Tafsir from the Most Commonly used Tafsir Ibn Kathir :

85. Criticizing Division in the Religion

Mujahid, Qatadah, Ad-Dahhak and As-Suddi said that this Ayah was revealed about the Jews and Christians. Al-`Awfi said that Ibn `Abbas commented,

[إِنَّ الَّذِينَ فَرَّقُواْ دِينَهُمْ وَكَانُواْ شِيَعًا]

(Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects...) "Before Muhammad was sent, the Jews and Christians disputed and divided into sects. When Muhammad was sent, Allah revealed to him,

[إِنَّ الَّذِينَ فَرَّقُواْ دِينَهُمْ وَكَانُواْ شِيَعًا لَّسْتَ مِنْهُمْ فِى شَىْءٍ]

(Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects, you have no concern with them in the least.) It is apparent that this Ayah refers to all those who defy the religion of Allah, or revert from it. Allah sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth so that He makes it victorious and dominant above all religions. His Law is one and does not contain any contradiction or incongruity. Therefore, those who dispute in the religion,

[وَكَانُواْ شِيَعاً]

(...and break up into sects,) religious sects, just like those who follow the various sects, desires and misguidance - then Allah has purified His Messenger from their ways. In a similar Ayah, Allah said,

[شَرَعَ لَكُم مِّنَ الِدِينِ مَا وَصَّى بِهِ نُوحاً وَالَّذِى أَوْحَيْنَآ إِلَيْكَ]

(He (Allah) has ordained for you the same religion which He ordained for Nuh, and that which We have revealed to you.)[42:13] A Hadith reads,

«نَحْنُ مَعَاشِرُ الْأَنْبِيَاءِ أَوْلَادُ عَلَّاتٍ دِينُنَا وَاحِد»

(We, the Prophets, are half brothers but have one religion.) This, indeed, is the straight path which the Messengers have brought and which commands worshipping Allah alone without partners and adhering to the Law of the last Messenger whom Allah sent. All other paths are types of misguidance, ignorance, sheer opinion and desires; and as such, the Messengers are free from them. Allah said here,

[لَّسْتَ مِنْهُمْ فِى شَىْءٍ]

(You have no concern with them in the least...) [6:159]. Allah's statement,

[إِنَّمَآ أَمْرُهُمْ إِلَى اللَّهِ ثُمَّ يُنَبِّئُهُم بِمَا كَانُواْ يَفْعَلُونَ]

(Their affair is only with Allah, Who then will tell them what they used to do.) is similar to His statement,

[إِنَّ الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ وَالَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَالصَّـبِئِينَ وَالنَّصَـرَى وَالْمَجُوسَ وَالَّذِينَ أَشْرَكُواْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَفْصِلُ بَيْنَهُمْ يَوْمَ الْقِيـمَةِ]

(Verily, those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Sabians, and the Christians, and the Majus, and those who worship others besides Allah; truly, Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection.) [22:17] eAllah then mentioned His kindness in His decisions and His justice on the Day of Resurrection, when He said,

[مَن جَآءَ بِالْحَسَنَةِ فَلَهُ عَشْرُ أَمْثَالِهَا وَمَن جَآءَ بِالسَّيِّئَةِ فَلاَ يُجْزَى إِلاَّ مِثْلَهَا وَهُمْ لاَ يُظْلَمُونَ]

(160. Whoever brings a good deed shall have ten times the like thereof to his credit, and whoever brings an evil deed shall have only the recompense of the like thereof, and they will not be wronged.)

wasalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
jazaakillaah khayr sister for putting the full tafsir up. I put up the first part already. But the more info the better.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

jazaakillaah khayr sister for putting the full tafsir up. I put up the first part already. But the more info the better.

AHH....!!! :redface: :redface: :redface:

I'm so sorry! I was replying before you posted but I had some errands to run and by the time I pressed enter you had already posted (quite obviously) ... and I only now saw it.

I apologize akhi.

In the earlier centuries it was a new thing to be called, Abu Abdullah Al-Hanafi, Abu Abdur-Rahman Al-Maliki etc. No one says anything about that. People were and still do flash "Hanafi" all over the joint, and then shun using the word salafi when as we have said, it has basis in the sunnah of the Messenger, sal-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, for he used the Asl of the word. But he didn't once use one of the names of the madhhaahib with any special regard....

AKhi i have never heard any person to walk with the title al-kashmiri al hanafi.
If someone get involve with discuss in the topic of fiqh then he says i am hanafi fiqh follower not before that. So if any shia or other corrupted believer ask abot oyurself then you can tell him salafi , where i only use i am the follower of salaf.
Only used 100 years ago? Surely Adh-Dhahabee was from the medi-evil period.

Was his name Sheikh adh-Dhahabee al salafi? I didnt know that.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

AHH....!!! :redface: :redface: :redface:

I'm so sorry! I was replying before you posted but I had some errands to run and by the time I pressed enter you had already posted (quite obviously) ... and I only now saw it.

I apologize akhi.

no need to apologise ukhti, the more the better as i said.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
AKhi i have never heard any person to walk with the title al-kashmiri al hanafi.
If someone get involve with discuss in the topic of fiqh then he says i am hanafi fiqh follower not before that. So if any shia or other corrupted believer ask abot oyurself then you can tell him salafi , where i only use i am the follower of salaf.

Was his name Sheikh adh-Dhahabee al salafi? I didnt know that.

same thing (in meaning) :)

no that wasn't his name but in his Siyaar An-Nubaala A`laam, he use to describe followers of the sunnah as "good salafees" etc.

many of the old imams bore such ascriptions... Ibn kathir's student who explained aqeedat ut-tahaawiyyah, was known as Ibn Al-`Izz Al-Hanafi. One of the famous Imams of the Hanaabila was known as Ibn Rajab Al-Hanbali. No one can deny that the Imams of old times did it. So why are we still arguing points so clear?

abou haytam

It is not correct to differentiate between the Salafis and Ahl al-Sunnah​

Question:

What is your view of those who differentiate between the Salafis and Ahl al-Sunnah, and who regard the Salafis as a more specific group than Ahl al-Sunnah, and they that the principles of this group are based on the opinions of the group’s shaykhs?

Answer:

This is not correct, because the Ahl al-Sunnah are those who follow the Sahaabah and the path of the Salaf (the early generations of Islam). These are not two distinct groups, and the Salafis are not a more specific group!

According to the terminology that is well known, the Salaf are the Sahaabah and those who follow their path, and the Ahl al-Sunnah are those who follow the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). They are the ones concerning whom the hadeeth was reported: “Whoever follows the same path as me and my Companions” (The hadeeth about the saved group).

Stirring up disputes and conflict on the grounds of names alone is not permissible. Allaah has commanded the believers to be united and has forbidden them to be divided and warned them against that.

The individual’s aim must be to seek the truth, and when he speaks he should say what is fair and just, and not hate individuals in such a way that his hatred makes him reject the truth that the person is saying, or look for faults in him. He should not come up with things that are ambiguous or far-fetched for that purpose. This is not the way of Ahl al-Sunnah, and the Muslim has to like for his brother what he likes for himself. He must be sincere towards him, and hold love and sincerity in his heart.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah al-Ghunaymaan

abou haytam

Are the Islamic groups among the misguided groups?​

Question:

What do you think of those who say that these Islamic groups are among the groups which call people to Hell, and which the Prophet commanded us to keep away from? Is this correct or not?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Anyone who calls people to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is not of the misguided groups, rather he belongs to the saved group mentioned in the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him):

“The Jews split into seventy-one groups and the Christians split into seventy-two groups. My ummah will split into seventy-three groups, all of which will be in the Fire except for one.” He was asked, “Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Those who follow the path which I and my companions are on today.” According to one report: “They are the jamaa’ah.”

What this means is that the saved group is the group (jamaa’ah) which adheres steadfastly to the way of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them), i.e., believing in and worshipping Allaah alone (Tawheed), obeying His commands and heeding His prohibitions, and adhering steadfastly to that in word, deed and belief. These are the people of truth, the ones who call to right guidance, even though they may be scattered throughout the world, with some in Arabia, some in Syria, some in America, some in Egypt, some in the African countries, some in Asia. They are many groups, but they are known by their ‘aqeedah and their deeds. If they follow the path of Tawheed and belief in Allaah and His Messenger, and they adhere steadfastly to the religion of Allaah which was brought by the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then they are Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah and the saved group, even though they may be scattered in many parts of the world. But at the end of time they will be very few in number.

In conclusion, the guideline concerning this issue is whether or not they adhere to the truth. If there is a person or a group which calls people to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and advocates belief in Tawheed and adhering to the Sharee’ah, then they are the Jamaa’ah and the saved group.

But those who call to anything other than the Book of Allaah, or anything other than the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then they are not part of the jamaa’ah; rather they belong to the misguided and doomed groups. The saved group is those who call people to the Qur’aan and Sunnah, even though they may be groups here and there. So long as their aim and their belief is the same, it doesn’t matter if one is called Ansaar al-Sunnah, and another is called al-Ikhwaan al-Muslimeen, and so on. What matters is their ‘aqeedah (belief) and their actions. If they adhere steadfastly to the truth and to Tawheed, and they are sincere towards Allaah and follow the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in word, deed and belief, then names do not matter. But they have to fear Allaah and be sincere in that. If some of them are called Ansaar al-Sunnah, and others are called al-Salafiyyeen, or al-Ikhwaan al-Muslimeen, or whatever, it doesn’t matter so long as they are sincere and adhere steadfastly to the truth by following the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah, and judge according to them, and adhere steadfastly to them in belief, word and deed. If any group errs in some way, then the scholars have to warn them and guide them to the truth if there is clear evidence.

The point is that we must co-operate in righteousness and piety, and deal with our problems with knowledge, wisdom and good manners. If any of these groups or others makes a mistake that has to do with ‘aqeedah, or something that Allaah has commanded or forbidden, they should show them the shar’i evidence in a gentle, wise and polite manner, so that they will follow the truth and accept it, so that they will not be put off from it. This is what all the Muslims should do, co-operate in righteousness and piety, and advise one another to follow that; they should not let one another down in such a way that the enemy may take advantage of them.

Kitaab Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 8, p. 181

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
JazaakAllaah khayr, I think thats enough for me to say thread closed!

Let me clarify that my intent was to explain the usage of the term, which I did, then answer doubts to the term, which I did and then I focused on the new statements people were making to do with splitting and uniting...

abou haytam

Who are the saved group?​

Question:

Please clarify how to differentiate between the groups that claim they are following the right path. We know that Ahlul Sunnah wal jama’ah is the group that follows the straight path. But there are many Muslims do not know the ruling on the other groups, which started to be widely spread these days as the prophet (PBUH) said. As he said what means that there will be many groups 73 sects, Allah knows best how many, and that only one is following the straight path.
How can we differentiate between all these groups? How to refute them? Shall we avoid them and their behaviours?
I wish you provide evidences from Quran and Hadeeth for the great importance of the matter, as the majority do not know, and we fear for the new converts to get lost amongst all these groups.
I found a related question on the site but I need more clarification.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Division and differences among this ummah is something inevitable, to which history bears witness, as do the texts of the Sunnah of our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you lives after I am gone will see a great deal of dissent.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4067); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Dissent has occurred in the political field, as well as in the fields of thought and ‘aqeedah, which is represented in the appearance of different sects at the end of the era of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs, such as the Murji’is, Shi’ah and Khawaarij.

But by His mercy, Allaah decreed that this division should happen when some groups drifted away from the way of the main body of the Muslims and developed their own different approach, and they were distinguished by their own names and character. So the ‘aqeedah of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah, and the ‘aqeedah of the majority of Muslims, was not confused even for a day with that of the other, misguided sects, so that those sects would not dare to call themselves Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah, rather they are called after the bid’ah (innovation) that they introduced, or the person who founded the sect. You can see that when you examine the names of all the sects.

The famous hadeeth about the ummah splitting into seventy-three sects bears witness to that.

It was narrated from Mu’aawiyah ibn Abi Sufyaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood among us and said: “Those who came before you of the people of the Book split into seventy-two sects, and this ummah will split into seventy-three: seventy-two in Hell and one in Paradise, and that is the jamaa’ah (main body of Muslims).”

Narrated by Abu Dawood (4597) and others; classed as saheeh by al-Haakim (1/128), who said: it is an important hadeeth that represents a basic principle. It was classed as hasan by Ibn Hajar in Takhreej al-Kashshaaf (63). It was classed as saheeh by Ibn Taymiyah in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (3/345), al-Shaatibi in al-I’tisaam (1/430), and al-‘Iraaqi in Takhreej al-Ihya’ (9/133). It is mentioned frequently and often quoted as evidence by the scholars in the books of Sunnah, and it was narrated from a number of the Sahaabah via many isnaads, most of the soundest of which specify the number of sects as being seventy-three.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) described the saved group as the jamaa’ah, i.e., the consensus of the Muslim scholars. In other reports he also described them as “the vast multitude”, as in the hadeeth of Abu Umaamah and others which is recorded by Ibn Abi ‘Aasim in al-Sunnah (1/34) and al-Tabaraani in al-Mu’jam al-Kabeer (8/321), with an isnaad that is hasan li ghayrihi (hasan because of corroborating evidence).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also described them in the following terms: “My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of whom will be in Hell except one group.” They said: Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah? He said: “(Those who follow) that which I and my companions follow.” This is mentioned in the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr which was recorded and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi (2641). It was also classed as hasan by al-‘Iraaqi in Ahkaam al-Qur’aan (3/432), al-‘Iraaqi in Takhreej al-Ihya’ (3/284) and al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

This is the clearest sign that the Muslim can use to determine what is the saved group, so he should follow the way of the majority of scholars, those whom all the people testify are trustworthy and religiously-committed, and he should follow the way of the earlier scholars among the Sahaabah, Taabi’een and the four Imams and other scholars, and he should beware of every sect that differs from the main body of Muslims (jamaa’ah) by following innovation (bid’ah).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The sign of the people of bid’ah is that they do not follow the salaf. End quote from Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (4/155).

He also said (3/346): The sign of these groups – i.e., the seventy-two groups that go against Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah – is that they forsake the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus. The one who follows the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus is one of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah. End quote.

It is not permissible for anyone to imagine after this that the Shi’ah, for example, are the saved group, or that the deviant Sufis, Khawaarij or Habashis are the saved group. Rather these are innovated groups which only follow invented ideas, that are denounced by the scholars and the majority of Muslims, who feel repulsion in their hearts towards them. Their ideas were never believed in for a day by Abu Bakr, ‘Umar, ‘Uthmaan or ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with them), or by Imam Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al-Shaafa’i or Ahmad ibn Hanbal. Would any wise person think that a belief that these imams were unaware of could be correct?

Think about it. There is the greatest and most obvious difference between Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah (the saved group) and other, misguided groups.

Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) says:

Hence the saved group is described as Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah, and they are the greater majority and the vast multitude. As for the other groups, they are followers of weird ideas, division, innovation and whims and desires, and none of these groups reached anywhere close to the size of the saved group, let alone being equal to them, rather some of these groups are very small in number. The sign of these groups is that they go against the Qur'aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus. The one who follows the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus is one of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (3/346).

Al-Shaatibi has mentioned many names of the doomed groups in al-I’tisaam (1/453-460).

Secondly:

The scholars of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah have stated in their books that the other sects are among the misguided and doomed innovated groups, and that they deserve to enter Hell because of the reprehensible ideas and grave innovations that they have introduced into the religion of Allaah. But in most cases they are not regarded as kaafirs, rather they are regarded as Muslim sects.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Similarly, with the other seventy-two groups, those that are hypocrites are inwardly kaafirs, and those that are not hypocrites but rather believe inwardly in Allaah and His Messenger are not inwardly kaafirs, even though they are mistaken in their interpretations, regardless of what that mistake may be. Some of them may have some of the branches of hypocrisy, or they may not have the kind of hypocrisy that dooms a man to the lowest depths of Hell.

The one who says that each of the seventy-two sects is guilty of kufr that puts one beyond the pale of Islam is going against the Qur’aan and Sunnah and the consensus of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them all), and the consensus of the four imams and others. None of them regarded any of the seventy-two sects as kaafirs, rather they regard one another as kaafirs.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (7/218).

This does not mean that every sect that calls itself Muslim is actually Muslim, rather they may be kaafirs and apostates, such as the extreme Raafidis, the extreme Sufis and the baatini sects such as the Druze, Nusayris and others. These are all beyond the pale of Islam and are not regarded as being among the sects mentioned in the hadeeth.

Thirdly:

The cause of difference and division among these groups mentioned in the hadeeth has to do with fundamental matters of religion and basic issues of ‘aqeedah, not differences of opinion regarding fiqh.

Al-Shaatibi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

These are regarded as sects because they differ from the saved group with regard to some fundamental issues of religion and basic rules of sharee’ah, not with regard to minor issues, because differences with regard to minor issues does not lead to division and factionalism, rather factionalism occurs when there are differences concerning fundamental issues of Islam.

Al-I’tisaam (1/439).

If some Muslim groups stand out from others because of a specific method of da’wah and working for Islam, but they do not go against Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah in their ‘aqeedah, then they are not to be regarded as doomed groups, rather they are among the saved group in sha Allaah, if they follow the way of the Sahaabah and Taabi’een in ‘aqeedah and action.

There are a number of questions on our site that offer more information and details about this issue. Please see questions no. 206, 1393, 10121, 10554, 10777, 12761 and 21065.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.