Anybody seen that movie

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

I have both issues (the English and the Arabic) and I love it! As a matter of fact, I was showing a small part of it to the 7th grade boy I tutor and he thought it was so good that he borrowed it and watched it two times in one week.

The amazing thing about the movie is that you never miss the fact that Prophet Mohammad is never shown, nor do you hear his voice. Also, the movie was filmed two times, concurrently. The main character were English-speaking for the English film, and Arabic for the Arabic film, but all the extras, props, and sets were exactly the same and filmed together.

I thought it was a great way to "see" the history.

Lana

al-muslimah

Assalam aliekum

I have both issues (the English and the Arabic) and I love it! As a matter of fact, I was showing a small part of it to the 7th grade boy I tutor and he thought it was so good that he borrowed it and watched it two times in one week.

The amazing thing about the movie is that you never miss the fact that Prophet Mohammad is never shown, nor do you hear his voice. Also, the movie was filmed two times, concurrently. The main character were English-speaking for the English film, and Arabic for the Arabic film, but all the extras, props, and sets were exactly the same and filmed together.

I thought it was a great way to "see" the history.

Lana

I watched the film..and it is one of the best films iv ever seen..mashallah..

sister lana..do you mean that the same characters were in the arabic and the english film? i mean the same characters can speak both languages?

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
The movie is worth a watch, it is very good, mashallah. They have a version in Arabic and English. I would also recommend Lion of the Desert.

q8penpals

I watched the film..and it is one of the best films iv ever seen..mashallah..

sister lana..do you mean that the same characters were in the arabic and the english film? i mean the same characters can speak both languages?

Salam

No, the MAJOR characters were native English speakers in the English version and were native Arabic speakers in teh Arabic version. But they filmed both movies together, so all the "extras (crowd, background people)" were the same, the sets and props were the same, and the movies came out at the same time.

I watched the "extras" on my DVD copy, and they said the producers did that in order to appeal to both Arabic and English-speaking audiences equally. They felt if they did the movie only in English, it would not appeal to the Arabic viewers (since Prophet Mohammad and the people of his time all spoke Arabic), but also felt if they used Arabic speakers speaking English, it would turn off the movie viewers who wouldn't understand the accent as well and that would take away from the message of the movie!

Here is what I found on a website: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5335

"There are a couple of interesting technical points about The Message. The first is that the prophet Mohammad is never actually seen; representations of him are offensive to Moslems. So any sequence involving the prophet is either structured so that he is just off-screen, or else the camera itself becomes his POV, with characters directly addressing the audience. (As an aside, this seems strange to me in that, time and again, Mohammad claims to be ‘just a prophet’ and not God himself, and thus I cannot really understand why he is treated as if he is divine.) This limitation can, at times, prove unintentionally comical; it also lends scenes an unwanted staginess. The other point of interest is that director Moustapha Akkad actually shot two different versions, one with English-speaking actors, the other with Arabic actors. This was because the languages were so different that lip synch problems would be extremely noticeable when prints were dubbed from English to Arabic. Thus Anthony Quinn is played by Abdallah Geith in the Arabic version. The film must have been so hard to make in the first place, that this addition to an already complex shooting schedule is almost unthinkable. No wonder the film took an alleged three years to complete. (This DVD set includes both versions of the film, although my review concerns itself almost wholly with the English one - as I'm unable to understand Arabic, I only watched the second version for a few minutes. Some of the scenes are exactly the same, but those with key English-speaking cast members were reshot.)"

~~~~~~~
Lana

nizar83

aslemeu aleikum..its def worth a watch..seeing history brings a extra dimension to it...reading demands fantasy..video shows it all..lol

i dont know if these are the versions that have this ow soo beautifull musique theme in both the menu as throughout the movie...watch and enjoy

aselemu aleikum