Arabic Word meanings

q8penpals

Is there a list somewhere on this website that contains a list of the common Arabic words that are used here? I know that as I was reading a lot of the old posts, there is a great deal of information or questions that are lost on me because I don't know Arabic and the questions and/or answers contain a lot. Maybe a list of the scholars that will be quoted as well would be helpful (in the most common spelling for their names).

I have lived in Kuwait for over 4 years, taken 2 Arabic classes, listen to CDs and still have not been able to master more than just a basic level of vocabulary - it is a difficult language, even though I do know all the letters and can sound out words in Arabic, I have no idea for the meanings, and I definitely cannot "hear" Arabic when people are speaking. :-(

Lana

Arabic Phrases
This lesson will help you understand the learn the phrases in Arabic, and enables you to use real examples shown below. If you have any question let us know by clicking on the “Contact us” button, this lesson is very important since it covers a very widely used element in Arabic which is the daily phrases.

Hi! Salam! سلام

Good Morning! Sabah el kheer صباح الخير

Good Evening! Masaa el kheer مساء الخير

Welcome! (to greet someone) Marhaban مرحبا

How Are You? Kaifa haloka/ haloki ( female) كيف حالك؟

I'm Fine, Thanks! Ana bekhair, shokran! أنا بخير شكرا

And You? Wa ant? / Wa anti? (female) و أنت؟

Good Jayed جيد

Thank You (Very Much)! Shokran (jazeelan) شكرا (جزيلا)

You're Welcome! Al3afu ألعفو

Hey! Friend! Ahlan sadiqi/ sadiqati! (female) أهلا صديقي /صديقتي!

What's New? Maljadeed? مالجديد؟

Nothing Much Lashai jadeed لا شيء جديد

Good Night! Tosbeho/ tosbeheena (female) 3ala khair/ تصبح/ تصبحين على خير

See You Later! Araaka/ Araaki (female) fi ma ba3d أراك في مابعد

Good Bye! Ma3a salama مع السلامة

Good Luck! Bettawfeeq بالتوفيق!

leaf

i want to learn arabic

assalam alaikum
i want to learn more Arabic with meaning please
:hijabi:

Durriyyah

Forever Student
Other Phrases

I'm also looking to learn more Arabic, but I'd like to start with the phrases everyone uses. Yes... this is such a noob question, but sorry.:SMILY176:

I know Alhamdullilah, Insha Allah, but most of them pass right by me and people use it so much I would love to know what it means. Thanks so much to anyone for their replies.

Tahar

Is there a list somewhere on this website that contains a list of the common Arabic words that are used here? I know that as I was reading a lot of the old posts, there is a great deal of information or questions that are lost on me because I don't know Arabic and the questions and/or answers contain a lot. Maybe a list of the scholars that will be quoted as well would be helpful (in the most common spelling for their names).

I have lived in Kuwait for over 4 years, taken 2 Arabic classes, listen to CDs and still have not been able to master more than just a basic level of vocabulary - it is a difficult language, even though I do know all the letters and can sound out words in Arabic, I have no idea for the meanings, and I definitely cannot "hear" Arabic when people are speaking. :-(

Lana

I understand your frustration in not being able to decipher the Arabic words in people's speech. See, in every Arab country, people speak a different variety of Arabic (a dialect) which is slightly different from the Standard Arabic Language. This is only true for spoken Arabic; the written Arabic form, however, is Standard Arabic everywhere. Therefore, the best way to learn this beautiful language is through classroom lessons, independent study, listening to and engaging in conversation with native-speakers where only Standard Arabic is used. Or a combination of all of these. I hope this helped. Good luck.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

Arabic Phrases
This lesson will help you understand the learn the phrases in Arabic, and enables you to use real examples shown below. If you have any question let us know by clicking on the “Contact us” button, this lesson is very important since it covers a very widely used element in Arabic which is the daily phrases.

Hi! Salam! سلام

Good Morning! Sabah el kheer صباح الخير

Good Evening! Masaa el kheer مساء الخير

Welcome! (to greet someone) Marhaban مرحبا

How Are You? Kaifa haloka/ haloki ( female) كيف حالك؟

I'm Fine, Thanks! Ana bekhair, shokran! أنا بخير شكرا

And You? Wa ant? / Wa anti? (female) و أنت؟

Good Jayed جيد

Thank You (Very Much)! Shokran (jazeelan) شكرا (جزيلا)

You're Welcome! Al3afu ألعفو

Hey! Friend! Ahlan sadiqi/ sadiqati! (female) أهلا صديقي /صديقتي!

What's New? Maljadeed? مالجديد؟

Nothing Much Lashai jadeed لا شيء جديد

Good Night! Tosbeho/ tosbeheena (female) 3ala khair/ تصبح/ تصبحين على خير

See You Later! Araaka/ Araaki (female) fi ma ba3d أراك في مابعد

Good Bye! Ma3a salama مع السلامة

Good Luck! Bettawfeeq بالتوفيق!

:salam2:

Jazzak-Allah khair:shake:

:wasalam: