Are All Sea Food Halaal??

hammu

Assalaam alaikum wa rehmatullah,

Can you please explain me if " All sea food are halaal??" What i know is fish that doesn't have blood in their vessels is only halaal. We have different animals in sea like Crab etc. Are they also Halal??? Or is it only that fish without blood in their vesseld are Halaal?? Eagerly waiting for the answers from you all please.
JAzak Allah

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Asalamu Alikumwarahmatu Allah wbarkatu

here is the fatwa brother

Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

hammu

Walikum assalaam ,
Well Jazak Allah for your reply. Iam confused that " all kinds of food from the sea is permissible. " I shall wait for more comments.
Assalaa alaikum

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Walikum assalaam ,
Well Jazak Allah for your reply. Iam confused that " all kinds of food from the sea is permissible. " I shall wait for more comments.
Assalaa alaikum

Yes all kinds of sea food is Halal, unless it's written in the Quran that it's not halal, which it isn't, please read Quran for confirmation

OsMaN_93

Here to help
brother the Quran says ALL kinds of seafood is permissable.Period. :)

“Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

And it is He who subjected the sea for you to eat from it tender meat and to extract from it ornaments which you wear. And you see the ships plowing through it, and [He subjected it] that you may seek of His bounty; and perhaps you will be grateful. [16:14]

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

Thanks for posting!

This is very beneficial since I like sea food.

I wasn't sure about eating Turtles, snails, oysters, octopus, and so abstained from eating all those except snails I tried french onion soup with snails and it was so goood!!

:wasalam:

crank

Yes all kinds of sea food is Halal, unless it's written in the Quran that it's not halal, which it isn't, please read Quran for confirmation

i don't thing you are right bro... fish is helal but shrimp, lobster,mussel etc. are mekruh

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
i don't thing you are right bro... fish is helal but shrimp, lobster,mussel etc. are mekruh

I still want open this topic for more discussion. My Hanafi brother said crab is haraam for them and shrimp is makruh. Pls advise. I follow Shafie but had stop eating crab which was my favourite seafood before. How about fresh water crab? At my place, non muslim rear fresh water fish and feed with the proceed from pigs e.g. pigs intestine. Can we eat this type of fish which are sold in open market? Can someone advise urgently.

eesa

Thanks for posting!

This is very beneficial since I like sea food.

I wasn't sure about eating Turtles, snails, oysters, octopus, and so abstained from eating all those except snails I tried french onion soup with snails and it was so goood!!

:wasalam:

The snails you eat are the land type bro, so I don't think it counts as water game. :(

crank

I still want open this topic for more discussion. My Hanafi brother said crab is haraam for them and shrimp is makruh. Pls advise. I follow Shafie but had stop eating crab which was my favourite seafood before. How about fresh water crab? At my place, non muslim rear fresh water fish and feed with the proceed from pigs e.g. pigs intestine. Can we eat this type of fish which are sold in open market? Can someone advise urgently.

i am hanafi so for us the shape of lookin of the food is important so carb shrimp
lobster mussell mekruh for us so we never eat. if it was helal i don't eat either:)
i prefer fish. many fishs are helal but not the sharks or piranhas :)

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
i am hanafi so for us the shape of lookin of the food is important so carb shrimp
lobster mussell mekruh for us so we never eat. if it was helal i don't eat either:)
i prefer fish. many fishs are helal but not the sharks or piranhas :)

Thank you brother. So shark also not halal? How about fresh water fish feed with pigs product?

crank

in my country we eat allmost all fresh water fishs are helal.

but as i say if there are fish in yor country fishs like piranha( they eat carcass )
so they are haram

so important is what the fish eat before you eat the fish:)

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
but why hanafi in my country do not eat crab (fresh water or see crab) and shrimp?

I have no idea, but I remember My Sheik back home who taught me said it's makrooh. Back home they all follow the Hanafi Madhab with a few exception.

I like crab and lobster especially crab cake:D so I eat it lol

To the brother: The snail I had was sea food, not land based.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu Alleicumu dear brothers and sisters.

This question does not reqests too much disscussion as there is clear ayah about halal and haram food in which Allah sais."It is permissible to you all food except carrion, blood,pig meat and the meat which is not sacrifices in the name of Allah"(Holy Quran).

And Alhadmulillah it is logical that we will not eat sea snakes ,elaphent meat or meat of crocodile etc,and Alhamdulillah this is from human and medical side.

May Allah bless you.

Salam.

Your sister Asja

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Hey folks, how about posting some daleel with your fatwas? I am reading so many posts lately stating something as if it is a fatwa without any proper reference. If you've found the info from Hadith or Quran then you need to post that exact reference. Otherwise you could be spreading something that is untrue and be punished for it.

Wasalaam

daywalker

And Alhadmulillah it is logical that we will not eat sea snakes ,elaphent meat or meat of crocodile etc,and Alhamdulillah this is from human and medical side.

Sister i am curious to know the logic behind that we will not eat snakes , elephant meat and crocodile?

even in Australia crocodile meat is favourite, snakes in philipine and so on.....

hammu

Assalaam alaikum,
Good to see many people tried their best to give their views. Jazak Allah . I think i should study more on this to know what is much better in the light of Holy Quran. I like to see what remaining people say here.
Assalaam alaikum

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Sister i am curious to know the logic behind that we will not eat snakes , elephant meat and crocodile?

even in Australia crocodile meat is favourite, snakes in philipine and so on.....

:wasalam: dear brother.

Dear brother waht I meant is that it is logical if we have heart than we will not eat the meat of inocent elaphent because we need to love Allah creations and why would we eat food of thier meat when we have many other planty food to chose Inhsallah.

And there are a loot of organzations for protection of elephants and protection of crocodiles because they are been killed for diffrent and unecesery proposes,like for example eating them like you said brother.
They are also Allahs creations and we need to love and protect all animals.

And regarding eating snakes,from medical side it is not so good for heath Alahdmulillah.For example vegatables are much better choice Alhadmulillah.:)

May Allah bless you.

Salam.