Are Muslim men allowed to marry Non-Muslim Women?

Yahya1819

Salaam to everyone,
I just wanted to know if a Muslim man is allowed to marry a non-muslim women? Please make it very clear supporting with Quran and Hadith.

acedoc

Marrying women from People of the Book

Who are the women of the People of the Book whom Muslims are permitted to marry?

Question:
Thanks for answering my question. I want to know what you mean with marrying a Jew or christian who should had chastity? Does touching and kissing forbidden before marriage occurs? I have read in your anwers that you tell muslim that the woman should be chaste. Is this only with jew or christian girl or also, muslim woman? Does touching and kisssing are included when you refer to chastidy? What should be the advice given to a muslim boy that thinks touching is necessary before marriage?
I appreciate this to be confidencial. Thanks so much for helping me.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn Jareer al-Tabari gave a definition of muhsanah in Jaami’ al-Bayaan ‘an Ta’weel Aayi’l-Qur’aan (8/165):

“Muhsanah means the woman who is chaste and pure … one who is chaste and protects her private parts from committing immoral acts, as in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And Maryam, the daughter of ‘Imraan, who guarded her chastity…’ [al-Tahreem 66:12], meaning that she kept herself above suspicious actions and protected herself from immoral conduct.”

Then he discussed the interpretation of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): ‘… (lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time…’ [al-Maa’idah 5:5]

He said that some others said that what was meant by this aayah (‘… (lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time…’) is chaste women from both groups, whether they were slaves or free. Those who were of this opinion considered it permissible to marry slave women who were Jews or Christians who practised their religions, because of this aayah, but they considered it haraam to marry promiscuous women, whether they were Muslims or from the People of the Book. Then he mentioned reports to support this opinion.

He also said: ‘There was some dispute among the scholars about the interpretation of the phrase and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time…- was this general or specific in application? Some said that it is general and applies to all chaste women, because muhsanaat means chaste women, and a Muslim is allowed to marry any woman of the People of the Book, free or slave, from a country whose people are engaged in hostilities with Islam or from a community which is living under Islamic rule. They use as evidence for this the apparent meaning of the phrase and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time… - taking muhsanaat to mean any chaste woman, whoever she may be. This is the opinion of those who take muhsanaat to mean “chaste women” in this context.

Others say that it refers only to the women of Jewish and Christian communities who are living under Islamic rule. As regards those living in regions that are hostile to Islam, Muslims are not permitted to marry such women.

He mentions an important condition for marrying a woman of the People of the Book, which every Muslim who wants to marry such a woman in a non-Muslim country should pay attention to. This condition is that he should be in a position where he is not afraid that his child will be forced into kufr.

One of the obvious implications of this in our time is that a Muslim should not put himself in a position where he will be forced to raise his child as a kaafir in a non-Muslim country, where a child may be forced to study something about Christianity, for example, or he may be taken to church on Sundays, or the law may be on the side of the non-Muslim woman, allowing her to take her child wherever she wants and raise him in her family’s religion, etc. We ask Allaah to keep us safe from all that and we seek refuge with Him from being forsaken.

Shaykh al-Sa’di said in his Tafseer (commentary on the Qur’aan), 1/458:

“‘… (lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women – i.e., free and chaste - from the believers and chaste women –free and chaste - from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time…’ i.e., from among the Jews and Christians. This is adding specific details to the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And do not marry al-mushrikaat (idolatresses, etc.) till they believe (worship Allaah alone)…’ [al-Baqarah 2:221].”

As for promiscuous women, those who do not keep themselves chaste and free from immoral sexual conduct, it is not permitted to marry them, whether they are Muslims or from among the People of the Book (Jews and Christians), unless they repent, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Let no man guilty of fornication or adultery marry any but a woman similarly guilty, or an unbeliever: nor let any but such a man or an unbeliever marry such a woman: to the Believers such a thing is forbidden.” [al-Noor 24:3]

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

acedoc

more....

How to treat a wife from among the People of the Book

Question:
The ayah in surah maida about not taking the jews and christians as awliya does this mean friends or protectors because some people say it means just helpers but in the englishtranslate this to mean friends if it does mean friends how do befriend are non-muslim wife or treat her accordingto shariah.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Interacting with Jews, Christians and all other kuffaar is subject to guidelines and regulations that are set out in Islamic sharee’ah. These guidelines include the following:

Firstly:

It is permissible to speak with the kaafirs and to discuss permissible matters with him.

Secondly:

It is not permissible to take the kuffaar as close friends (awliya’). Taking them as close friends may happen in many ways, such as mixing with them, feeling comfortable with them, living with them, taking them as close friends, loving them, preferring them over the believers, and so on. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people)”

[al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

Thirdly:

It is permissible to interact with the kuffaar to buy, sell, lend and so on. It was narrated in saheeh reports that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) borrowed a weapon from Safwaan ibn Umayyah, and that he bought food from the Jews.

With regard to how to treat a wife from among the people of the Book (i.e., a Jewish or Christian woman), Allaah says in His Book (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:8]

So it is permissible to treat a Jewish or Christian wife justly and kindly, and there is nothing wrong with that; it does not come under the heading of the type of close friendship and strong bonds that is forbidden.

Al-Kaasaani said in Badaa’i al-Sanaa’i’ (2/270):

It is not permissible for a Muslim to marry a mushrik woman, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not marry Al-Mushrikaat (idolatresses) till they believe (worship Allaah Alone)”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

But it is permissible to marry a woman from among the people of the Book, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“(Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time”

[al-Maa'idah 5:5]

The difference is that the basic principle is that a Muslim is not permitted to marry a kaafir, because marrying a kaafir woman and mixing with her at the same time when there is religious animosity will not produce the tranquility and love which are the basic purpose of marriage, but it is permitted to marry a woman from among the People of the Book in the hope that she will become Muslim, because she believes in the Books of the Prophets and Messengers in general, but she does not believe in a comprehensive and correct manner, because what she was taught is different from what is real. It is likely that when the facts are pointed out to her, she will accept them. So her husband should call her to Islam and tell her how things really are. So when a Muslim marries such a woman there is the hope that she will become Muslim, so it is permissible to marry them for this purpose. This is unlike the case of a mushrik woman, because by choosing to associate others in worship with Allaah and not to believe in the Prophets and Messengers, this indicates that she does not pay any attention to proof and evidence and will not respond to da’wah, and will rather continue to follow the way of her forefathers and to follow her whims and desires. So there will remain that religious animosity which will not produce the tranquility and love which are the basic purpose of marriage, so it is not permissible to marry such a woman.

And he said in Haashiyat al-‘Adawi (1/273):

The phrase “we forsake those who disbelieve in You” means we cast aside any positive feelings towards those who worship anyone other than You, and we will not love his way or feel any inclination towards it. But this does mean that we are not allowed to marry a woman from among the people of the Book, because marrying her may attract her to the religion of Islam, as marriage is a type of interacting with others and what is meant here is to hate the way of kufr.

For more information please see questions no. 34559, 11793, 10342, 26721, 23325.

Islam Q&A

acedoc

more...

Question:
Can a Muslim marry a Roman Catholic without the person converting to Islam?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If a Muslim wants to marry a Christian woman, she does not have to become Muslim first, because of the general statement in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning):

“Made lawful to you this day are . . . chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time . . .” [al-Maa’idah 5:5].

The conditions for a non-Muslim woman to marry a Muslim man are that she should be of the People of the Book (Jewish or Christian) and that she should be chaste.

We remind the Muslims living outside the Muslim world that they should not rush into taking such a step, and if they wish to do so, they should think long and hard, even though marrying a woman of the People of the Book is permitted in principle. There is a very real possibility of the children becoming Christian, especially in countries where the law favours the non-Muslim mother. In fact many such tragedies have occurred. We ask Allaah to guide us all and give us strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Masha'Allah the brother has answered your question very well.

In my humble, unqualified “opinion” there are two practical problems with this scenario:

1) In my travels through South/Central America I have personally witnessed many earlier Muslims (mostly Arabs) who migrated to those countries have unfortunately and regrettably lost their next generations (from Islam) because of marrying local Non-Muslim women & they said that to me openly! I have also met people in California (mostly Arabs) with Muslim first/last names and found that they also had Muslim ancestry.

2) There are plenty of good, pious, practising Muslim women around who want to get married but can’t…Masha’Allah they are of diverse backgrounds to be compatible with any man…

Therefore caution is in order.

Marriage is a life-long partnership and let’s ignore the upbringing of children for a moment, having lived with Non-Muslims during my past life I believe that a practising Muslim may find it hard to cope with a Non-Muslim wife on a daily basis because differences in belief are bound to show up sooner or later

Tahar

It’s reported on the prophet Mohammed (pbuh) to have said something along the following lines:

Women are desirable in marriage for three things: their beauty, their wealth, or their piety. And it is better to choose the pious one.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brothers/Sisters,

As always the words of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) are true guidance and cannot be excelled/bettered.