Are Muslims really not allowed to have Non Muslim Friends ?

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
:salam2:

I don't really see anyone as my "enemy". I have enough to do with trying to become a better man than to worry about anyone else not liking me. If I stopped to worry about all the people out there that don't like me, I would never accomplish anything.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother, it has nothing to do with being liked. I am not here to be in a populairty contest.

There is an enemy here. We as Believers acknowledge that.

But, if I am correct this thread is discussing the permissibility of selecting friends outside the Muslim community.

All we are discussing is yes, you may choose friends but the ties are deeper with a believing community. We can refer to Quranic verses and hadeeths.

Just think: The Companions of the Prophet chilled with him. They did not chill with non-Believers. They conducted business but did not chill.

tabuzbr

The other day I saw a program in which Dr. Zakir Naik was mentioning that if u do not preach Islam or convey the message of Islam to the disbelievers then u will be questioned on the day of judgement ,I don't know practically can we ever do it but with our good deeds if we can show the disbelievers especially our friends how good our religion is,what it preaches ,and pray salah even in their presence showing our sincerity towards Allah, would atleast be helpful.
One of my Hindu neighbour once mentioned to me that I really like the way Muslims say inshallah for everything meaning If Allah Wills,she said she wished she had sthg like that in her religion ,I said u also say inshallah ,so maybe by our small good deeds of our religious culture would help us spread the message of our true religion of Islam.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh brothers and sisters!

I did not read everyone's response, so I apologize in advance if I repeat what someone else already said. The Qur'an is clear when it talks about how we should deal with the non-Muslims. We deal with them with justice and kindness. There is nothing wrong with befriending a non-Muslim person, after all they too are part of Allah's creation....:)

There is no harm in being friends with the non-Muslims....but then again it depends on how you and I define friendship. If your non-Muslim friend is someone who likes to go clubbing, drinking, to do all things of haram...then clearly they are not your friends. Because they do not respect your beliefs, they do not respect you as a Muslim!

A friend is someone who cares and respects your beliefs. Therefore, as long as there is mutual respect, love and concern for one another....there is no problem. Difference of faiths should be embraced in fact all difference should be embraced. Allah may guide one or more of your friends through YOU! can you imagine where Islam would be if we all closed our doors, our hearts, ourselves from interacting with our non-Muslim friends and neighbors? subhana'Allah.....Islam is spreading like wild fire because we CHOOSE to share the message through our action and words. There is nothing more beautiful than inviting a friend over for Iftar! (breaking the fast).....

We as Muslims should be open minded....wallahi these people are searching for what we have, and didn't the prophet (PBUH) say, "convey of my message even if it's just and Ayah" just one verse or saying???

My point is.....we should not say we cannot be friends with non-Muslims...we should befriend them and one day hope that they too become believers of La ilaha ila Allah!!! for indeed there is no God worthy of worship with truth except Allah the almighty the all powerful!

PS: Ramadan is just around the corner............YAAY, lets celebrate shall we:)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

There are friends, and then there are best friends. We can be friends with non-muslims, but its not possible, or very difficult, to be best friends with non-muslims.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We can not trust those who are not Muslim.

Do not take unbelievers as your protectors or friends. They have selected not to obey the Laws of Allah. They can not see as you do. They can not reason as you do.

The question is how do you trust someone who does not believe in Allah? What do you have in common with someone whose heart belongs to other than Allah?

You can have fun with nonbelievers. They love fun. But they do not get serious. The minute you profess your belief you will be alone. They will ask you questions to feed their appetite, but they will leave.

That does not mean you become a hermit. You can take care of nonbelievers. You can be kind to them. And at times you leave them alone.

Think back to what you pray each day...if you want to be in the path of believers...hello..that would be Muslims. Isn't that what you pray? You supplicate to Allah to be on the Path. You pray not to be with those who go astray or are disobedient.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu alaikum,

Sister Aapa, yes I pray each day for Allah to let me be on the path of the believers! and that could one day include someone who is not a Muslim now.
All I am trying to say is that each and every non-Muslim is a potential Muslim....we all have to remember that insha'Allah :)

of course it might be hard.....and sometimes people might walk away and they do.....but it is good to give it a chance, because one day that one non-Muslim friend might join you in prayer.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am in total agreement with you.

I am just adding there comes a point in life when you become scared not to be with Believers. That is all.

MuslimahZx

Ukht Z.J
Assalaamu'alaikum

Abu Hurairah (R.A) narrated that the Prophet :saw2: said: "A man follows the religion of his friend, so he should be careful who he takes as his friend."
[Riwayah Abu Dawud, & Tirmidhi, Isnaad Saheeh]

This hadith itself highlights the importance of keeping believers as friends.
I have seen so many being influenced by the actions of their disbelieving friends. & I myself have been in this situation. Alhumdulillah i have never come out of Islam but since i started going to an Islamic school and having Muslim sisters instead of all my old disbelieving friends, it changed me so much Alhumdulillah. Friends can create an atmosphere and vibe that people naturally tend to follow just to fit in. So from personal experience, i think unless your motive is to give da'wah to a disbeliever and you are strong & firm on your faith, then do not take them as close friends.

This reminds me of what a brother said in one of his lectures, I quote: "No-one would bring a candle into his home and then place a bucket on top of it, because then no-one would benefit from this light. If someone brought a candle into the home, he would set it on top of the table in the middle of the room so that everyone would benefit from this light. Unfortunately, the Muslims of this generation are a bunch of candles with buckets on top of them. No-one can see our light. No-one can see the beauty of Islam"

Apparently, the first bit is a proverb, quoted by 'Isa (A.S). But whether he said it or not is not the point. The point is, it's SO TRUE! We need to get out there more and spread The Light of Islam InShaALLAH.

Precious Star

Assalaam walaikum,

The question is how do you trust someone who does not believe in Allah? What do you have in common with someone whose heart belongs to other than Allah?

Aapa,
Is this the question you are speaking of?

Well, for starters there are many non-muslims who believe in Allah. Paradise is promised to the believing christians and jews - there are many passages in the Quran that confirm that. Paradise is promised to those who do righteous deeds. Paradise is promised to those who take care of orphans and widows and those less fortunate -- sadly, many, many muslims have failed bitterly in the latter obligation.

I wonder why everyone assumes that as muslims our iman and characters are so week and so flimsy that once we are in the company of non-muslims we will be swayed by them. To the contary. Why wouldn't it be the other way around?

The muslim populaiton has made a conscious decision to immigrate and reside in non-muslim countries. It does not serve our purposes to isolate ourselves and live in a bubble. I believe that that is what is breeding Islamaphobia. Instead, we should be promoting inter-faith dialogue -- that is the only way the non-muslim population will love, accept and understand Islam - how can that not have positive benefits?

Perhaps, many of you have had bad experiences, where once you were in the company of non-muslims you had a desire to discard your values and adopt their ways. If that is the case, I am sorry to hear that, but take it as a lesson to yourself that perhaps you needed to strengthen your iman a bit. A non-muslim friend of mine, in fact, invited me for an iftaar at her house last Ramadan. When I was growing up, non-muslims were frequently invited to our house on Eid to partake in the celebrations -- and my parents were never tempted to "pull out the booze".

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

By definition if one Believes in Allah one is a Muslim. To believe that you acknowledge Allah but refuse Islam does not equate.

Lets think this slowly. If, intellectually, a person professes that God is Allah, the person would by intellect understand that he must obey the laws of Allah because the person has named his God: Allah. And that would be to be Muslim.

We are speaking of two sides of the same coin.

In this discussion, I am simply trying to convey is Islam is tolerant. I just have reached the decision that I am more at ease among Believers.

Sister, why don't you make an iftar for the local masjid. That would make a lot of people happy.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Assalaamu'alaikum

Abu Hurairah (R.A) narrated that the Prophet :saw2: said: "A man follows the religion of his friend, so he should be careful who he takes as his friend."
[Riwayah Abu Dawud, & Tirmidhi, Isnaad Saheeh]
Wa alaikumassalam,
:jazaak: for the hadith sister.
May Allah guide us all.Ameen.

ipanda

Some comments took me by surprise but hey, i live in a muslim community and i have plenty of muslim friends. I don't see any reason why they can't be friends with me just because I am non-muslim? Of course that is as long as I don't cross the line and insult their faith or anything. Understanding and respect is all that matters.

By the way, consider the chance of u - those who said it is almost harram to be friends with non-muslim - converting a non muslim to the path you believe in your heart is the right path i.e. Islam? If just shun them or stay away from them, remember you are not sending the message of salvation to him or her.

Just wondering tho: what does quran say specifically about this? Is it sin? Somone have said that previously in one of the topics here at TTI but no reference was given. If it is, it is really a wake up call for me.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

This is not a matter of sin. We are told in the Quran to not trust non-Muslims. We can not take them as protectors or friends.

This is what I can not get through to anyone. It is a personal decision. Many are at a young age and need friends. Some prefer non-Muslims.

I am saying that for some of us it is more sensible to be with Muslims.

That does not prevent one from making dawah. You can educate others but being intimate is different.

I can not talk to a non-Muslim about salat. I can describe it but I can not discuss the beauty of it. I can not make a non-Muslim understand so I don't.

Why do I waste time engaging with those whose perceptions are limited. I call that boring. And that is it. Non-Muslims get very boring very quickly.

Precious Star

Assalaamu alaikum,

sister could you kindly give us references from the Qur'an and the Sunnah for the above quote?

Thanks

2:62
Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve

5:69
those who are the Jews and the Sabians and the Christians, - whosoever believed in Allah and the Last Day, and worked righteousness, on them shall be no fear, ...

4:122
But those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism) and do deeds of righteousness, We shall admit them to the Gardens under which rivers flow (i.e. in Paradise) to dwell therein forever. Allah's Promise is the ...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This is becoming academic.

Islam is simple to practice. You practice on the level of the path that is yours. Some like to be among a diverse crowd, some like a similar crowd, some like an intimate crowd..

There is no need for defense or denial.

What I am amused by is the lack of understanding on the thread about Jenin.
A non-Muslim attacks us by calling us ignorant and uneducated liars. Here is a man who has killed Muslims..and I am the one that is being asked to refrain my words and not tell him the truth about himself. It might hurt his feelings!!!

Comeon people now..lets get about it and right. I believe those that Love Allah and Allah Loves have it right. Read the thread that is closed.

ipanda

Selamat :)

I hear you. It is your personal believe I suppose. Though I don't accept it nor it makes sense (i do know you had no intention of making me understand anyway), I respect your view. Thankfully, the Muslims I live with and work with don't think that way at all. I come across this view sometimes and I always say "Allah is far more smarter than those" and simply continue my friendship with them, just as they would.

Bless you.

Salaam,

This is not a matter of sin. We are told in the Quran to not trust non-Muslims. We can not take them as protectors or friends.

This is what I can not get through to anyone. It is a personal decision. Many are at a young age and need friends. Some prefer non-Muslims.

I am saying that for some of us it is more sensible to be with Muslims.

That does not prevent one from making dawah. You can educate others but being intimate is different.

I can not talk to a non-Muslim about salat. I can describe it but I can not discuss the beauty of it. I can not make a non-Muslim understand so I don't.

Why do I waste time engaging with those whose perceptions are limited. I call that boring. And that is it. Non-Muslims get very boring very quickly.