Are Muslims really not allowed to have Non Muslim Friends ?

ShyHijabi

:salam2:

I am quite grateful that it was Muslims that treated me kindly, like a sister really, when I was not Muslim. Just saying....

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, Muslims do treat others with kindness..who said we couldn't. That is what we are supposed to do.

prince3370

Assalamu Alaikum,
Surah Al Imran
3:28 Let not the believers take the disbelievers as
friends instead of the believers, and whoever does
that, will never be helped by Allah in any way,
unless you indeed fear a danger from them. And
Allah warns you against Himself, and to Allah is the
final return.

Let not the believers take the disbelievers as friends
instead of the believers,
Allah prohibited His believing servants from
becoming supporters of the disbelievers, or to
take them as comrades with whom they develop
friendships, rather than the believers.
Allah warned against such behavior when He said,

And whoever does that, will never be helped by Allah in
any way,
meaning, whoever commits this act that Allah has
prohibited, then Allah will discard him.
Similarly, Allah said,

O you who believe! Take not My enemies and
your enemies as friends, showing affection
towards them, until,
And whosoever of you does that, then indeed he
has gone astray from the straight path. (60:1)

esperanza

revert of many years

Eh, most of my friends (well, really all of them) are non-Muslim. I was friends with them before my conversion and I will continue to be friends with them. I can't just very well turn my back on them suddenly because they are still unbelievers and I am now a believer. Would that be a good example? No, it wouldn't. I want to show them through my words and deeds that I am a better person now, and inshallah they too will want to know more about what is so different about me now.

i agree. ihave frineds from before iconverted..who still treat me the same and repsect my religion,,,and at the same time sadly...even though ihave lived among muslims for twenty years... have met many who have shown the opposite,....it is not alwyas easy to find true muslim friends as well

JenGiove

:salam2: First off, I just want to reiterate that I am in no way trying to tell anyone how they should believe but I wanted to point out something that seems significant, to me at least. I am using this brother's post and I've highlighted the word in read that I'm drawn to.

Surah Al Imran
3:28 Let not the believers take the disbelievers as
friends instead of the believers, and whoever does
that, will never be helped by Allah in any way,
unless you indeed fear a danger from them. And
Allah warns you against Himself, and to Allah is the
final return.

Let not the believers take the disbelievers as friends
instead of the believers,
Allah prohibited His believing servants from
becoming supporters of the disbelievers, or to
take them as comrades with whom they develop
friendships, rather than the believers.
Allah warned against such behavior when He said,

And whoever does that, will never be helped by Allah in
any way,
meaning, whoever commits this act that Allah has
prohibited, then Allah will discard him.
Similarly, Allah said,

O you who believe! Take not My enemies and
your enemies as friends, showing affection
towards them, until,
And whosoever of you does that, then indeed he
has gone astray from the straight path. (60:1)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Folks, you can befriend anyone. Do you not get that. It is a choice as to who. I am at a stage if I could I would not leave the masjid. I am that scared. It took a long time to get here. I know good people from all realms of life.
We can not judge the intentions of that persons heart.

However, it is easier to be with Muslims for me. My shield. It's a trust thing.

Now...how about the Taliban. Can someone please answer this for me: why does Allah love them. And who do they love.

Everytime I pose this question it gets deleted. I apologize to the person who is deleting my posts, you fingers must hurt, but what are the attributes of the Taliban that make Allah love them.

Idris16

Everytime I pose this question it gets deleted. I apologize to the person who is deleting my posts, you fingers must hurt, but what are the attributes of the Taliban that make Allah love them.
I guess it is their strong will of protecting their Muslim brothers. They don't hand over Muslims to Non-Muslims even if wars would happen. But there are so much propaganda about them. Inshâ'Allâh when the war ends, I am sure Taliban will ask how 9/11 happened and will speak to those behind it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

So let me please ask this question:

We have been discussing Muslims having non-Muslim friends. I pose this would Muslims have the Taliban as brothers?

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Assalaam walaikum,

Folks, you can befriend anyone. Do you not get that. It is a choice as to who. I am at a stage if I could I would not leave the masjid. I am that scared. It took a long time to get here. I know good people from all realms of life.
We can not judge the intentions of that persons heart.

However, it is easier to be with Muslims for me. My shield. It's a trust thing.

Now...how about the Taliban. Can someone please answer this for me: why does Allah love them. And who do they love.

I'm the opposite of you, but I guess that has a lot to do with our upbringings. I grew up as a non-Muslim in a secular Western society. For me it's still difficult to go to the masjid even after taking shahada. I still get nervous walking through the doors and onto the red carpet. I guess I shouldn't, but I still do anyway.

I haven't been to the masjid in two weeks or so because I'm dealing with some other issues in my life. I want to get those taken care of, and then inshallah I can get back on the right path.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You are on the right path. You just have stuff on your mind. So you are a brother with stuff to do.

Will someone please answer my question...about the Taliban?? Brothers what do you believe. Tell me..I want to know.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Assalaam walaikum,

You are on the right path. You just have stuff on your mind. So you are a brother with stuff to do.

Will someone please answer my question...about the Taliban?? Brothers what do you believe. Tell me..I want to know.

I don't really know enough about the Taliban to really answer that question. I only know what I have read and heard from Western sources, which as we all know are not the best sources of information about Islam.

I used to not consider the Taliban true Muslims, but I realize that is a bit harsh of me. It's not my place to pass judgment on someone else's spiritual condition. That is between them and Allah.

truthseeker63

Does it make any sense to say that a Muslim Man or a Muslim Woman or a Muslim Child Muslim Boy or a Muslim Girl can not be Friends with a Non Muslim since Islam a Muslim Man can Marry have a Jewish or Christian Non Muslim Wife/Spouse from the People of the Book ?

Muslim men are allowed to marry Jewish and Christian women:

Another proof that the above English translation of the word "friends" is wrong, and the correct word is "Alliance" is, how can Allah Almighty prohibit for any Muslim to form personal friendship with any Jew or Christian, when He the Almighty allowed for Muslim men to have friendly relationships with Jewish and Christian women like they do with Muslim women (without sex before marriage of course) that could lead to marriage?

"This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book [Jews and Christians] is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good). (The Noble Quran, 5:5)"

One has to ask himself a very simple question here: How can a Jewish or Christian woman marry a Muslim man without loving him? And how is it possible for this love to happen without prior friendship or even just warm feelings between the Muslim man and the woman?

http://www.answering-christianity.com/friends.htm

truthseeker63

5:5
Copy
ﯚﯛﯜﯝﯞﯟﯠﯡﯢﯣﯤﯥﯦﯧﯨﯩﯪﯫﯬﯭﯮﯯﯰﯱﯲﯳﯴﯵﯶﯷﯸﯹﯺﯻﯼﯽﯾﯿﰀﰁﰂﰃﰄﰅﰆﰇﰈ
SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers.

http://quran.com/5/5

Cariad

Can you clarify unbeliever? Is this anyone who does not believe in God or anyone who does not see same as muslim. Because Jews and Christians believed in the One true God before Islam came so how can they be unbelievers? Is it possible this warning was meant for muslims at a certain time past not to take "unbelievers" for friends meaning pagans who did not believe in one God but worshipped many.

Someone said that muslim men allowed to marry with Jew or christian, this is not possible if they cannot be friends surely.

As a christian, I live my life for the glory of God. I pray without ceasing mu life would be worthless without God to sustain me. Am I then a non believer?

I have many muslim friends, we share many happy times I don't believe their friendship is insincere because I am not a muslim. We talk about many things rarely religion comes into it because we respect each other. I don't know, but I don't understand why God who loves all His creation does not wish those who love Him and hold Him in their hearts to unite in friendship. Secularism is the enemy of all people of faith, we should be united in praise of God. I have taken part in multi faith initiatives in the past and it has been a beautiful and uplifting experience, because at the centre we all love the same God.

Love comes from God... Suspicion does not. I always see the best in people maybe I am too trusting and my muslim friends are not the true friends I believe them to be, but I know I would give my life for theirs if I had to and it would not matter to me if they could not do the same. Still I would love them. :)

a_stranger

Peace dear Cariad : you and your friends are fullifilling the purpose of creation :

13. O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqun (pious - see V.2:2)]. Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.
Chap 49 Quran ( translation).

Cariad

So does that mean Jews, Christians and Muslims can be friends? :)

Yeshua taught below - love and friendship are important if we are to be close to God. Above all it is love, because without love we are nothing. I see it as example Yeshua lay down His life for me, He is my greatest friend. :) of course I know you don't see the same, but no matter how we each get the message it is an important guide for life. It's sad that so many don't see or understand the message.. Because then we have a void, and it's in this void grows division, distrust and hatred. That's sad :(

John 15:12-14

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.

a_stranger

Dear Cariad : for me as a muslem I should try to perfect my faith in Allah The one God : the creator of All.

Prophet Muhammad salla Allah alaihi wa Salam taught :

لَا يُؤْمِنُ أَحَدُكُمْ حَتَّى يُحِبَّ لِلنَّاسِ مَا يُحِبُّ لِنَفْسِهِ وَحَتَّى يُحِبَّ الْمَرْءَ لَا يُحِبُّهُ إِلَّا لِلَّهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ

None of you has faith until he loves for the people what he loves for himself, and until he loves a person only for the sake of Allah(The one God) the Exalted.

Source: Musnad Aḥmad 13463, Grade: Sahih

And in another narration, the Prophet said:

لا يَبْلُغُ عَبْدٌ حَقِيقَةَ الإِيمَانِ حَتَّى يُحِبَّ لِلنَّاسِ مَا يُحِبُّ لِنَفْسِهِ مِنَ الْخَيْرِ

The servant does not reach the reality of faith until he loves for the people what he loves for himself of goodness.

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ Ibn Ḥibbān 238, Grade:

I believe the we all belong to one creator , if I love the creator I should love all that he created and wish for them what I wish for myself. This is a perfect state ( among other states like love, hope ,sincerity, purity, humility of heart ) which bring hearts close to their creator.

Purifying hearts is the main issue in Islam .

With regards

Cariad

But how can you purify your heart? What does that mean please.

I agree that to love as God loves brings us closer to Him. I see God does not just love but IS love, He is love at its purest form. Of course we can never hope to reach that ourselves, but we must always strive towards it as a goal. Everything hinges on Gods love, creation exists because of it and is driven by it. I always think of mankind could actually emulate this love just a little how beautiful the world would be. :)

I guess the main issue with christianity if I had to choose would be how to achieve a relationship with God.

mustafa_bepari

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh and ramadan kareem brothers and sisters in Islam.

I see many people have commented with different opinions mashaAllah, it shows the brothers and sisters are concerned, may Allah reward all of you for your intentions. I wanna prove a small humble point here, please read with an open mind as a submitter to Allah. I'm not a scholar, but a mere slave like yourselves. The below facts are given by well known and authentic scholars of Islam, so they're not my own opinions. Green text are references or contexts from the Qur'an and Sunnah.

First of all, when Allah says in the Qur'an "Do not take the non-muslims as comrades rather than muslims", the context of the ayah is that do not place the non-muslims in your heart as a priority over muslims. To further emphasize on it, a muslim who gambles, drinks alcohol and commits zina is better than a non-muslim. Because he at least believes in Allah and eventually will enter Janna at some point by the mercy of Allah, whereas the non-muslim rejects Allah and is in constant shirk and kufr, and will never enter Jannah if he dies in that state (as per the Qur'an).

Allah says, He will forgive any and all sins, except shirk (if one dies upon it).

Secondly, its okay to be friends with non-muslims as long as the relationship and the reason doesn't go against the Islamic Shariah. I have lived, worked and ate with non-muslims. But my aim was to convey the message of Islam, not to seek pleasure. And I humbly request all my brothers and sisters out there, do not go to do dawah work if you're not equipped with the correct knowledge and wisdom. Because when the non-muslims will pose difficult questions or point out a flaw in you that goes against Islam, it will affect your imaan as well as those around you. So it causes more harm than good. Neither the prophets of Allah or the companions go give dawah without the proper knowledge.

Thirdly, Rasoolullah (Sal Allahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said in an authentic hadith, "Whoever raises the flag of Jahiliyah (ignorance), is in the fire". Which means (one of the meanings), that when the ayaat (commands) of Allah are presented to you, do not reject or turn away from them because of excuses that YOU think matter. Allah doesn't see things how we see. Our visions are flawed and biased, often times we think we're doing the right thing, while Allah calls them the biggest losers in the Qur'an. The ones who think they're doing good, but their deeds are wasted in this world because their intentions or goals were not right. So when Allah says to stay away from something, its smart to follow that command, because Allah designed everything and He alone knows what's best for whom.

Rasoolullah also said "Be careful of who you choose as your friends" and in another hadith he said "You will be with the one you love".
Your friends will affect your mind, habits, thoughts and actions and if you consider the second hadith, might affect your final destination as well. A kafir will pull you towards kufr (you won't realize it), a muslim will pull you towards good (might not be true in all cases, haha). The point is, shayateen work 24/7, if you think you're gonna outsmart the devil, then you're overly wrong. Shaytaan tricked your father and mother Adam and Hawa (Alayhuma Assalam), so what makes you think you're better than your father and mother? Think about it. If you wanna be protected, be in the company of those who remember Allah and they bow down and prostrate to Allah day and night.

Bottom line... Yes, you can be friends with the non-muslims. But maintain a distance and Allah and the believers should be your priority. If someone still is confused, please read Surat Al Ma'idah from ayah 52 through 57. Contemplate deeply and you'll see things in a crystal clear manner inshaAllah.

And Allah Rabbul Izzah knows best. Sorry for the long post. :D

Last edited: