around what time is the third part of the night?

wa alaikum salaam

I just read a hadith that said " Allah comes down to lowest level of heaven during the last third part of the night to answer his slaves duas or prayers" I am wondering do anybody know around what time this is?

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
:salam2: sister...

just find the time of Magrib and Fajr...calculate the difference of them and divide it by 3...then take away first two parts and u will find when the third part of the night starts...

for example, if the difference between Magrib and Fajr is 9 hours, when you divide it by 3, you will get 3 hours in each part...so count 6 hours from Magrib (first 2 parts) and it starts from there...

the length of night differs from place to place...that is the reason why I explained it like that...hope you got it...

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

Obase

Speaks his mind...
I think this method is used to acertain upto which time Isha can be prayed.

The last third of night is probably around 1hr before fajr- i could be wrong, but when I was at Medina, the Azaan is given approx 1hr before fajr so that those who want to, can come to the prophet's mosque and pray tahajjud- this timing was in line with the understanding that this was the last third of night. Then the azaan would go again(approx an hr later) and it would signify beginning of Fajr.

Allah knows best.

:salam2: sister...

just find the time of Magrib and Fajr...calculate the difference of them and divide it by 3...then take away first two parts and u will find when the third part of the night starts...

for example, if the difference between Magrib and Fajr is 9 hours, when you divide it by 3, you will get 3 hours in each part...so count 6 hours from Magrib (first 2 parts) and it starts from there...

the length of night differs from place to place...that is the reason why I explained it like that...hope you got it...

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

Wa alaikum salaam

well I think u both are right because the last hour before fajr is included in that last three hours the brother gave for an example....and you are right Allah'knows best and All is all merciful

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
So?

That means he is down to the lowest part all the time, cos somewhere every few seconds on this earth is the last third of the night. Right? Or does it mean he comes down only during the last part of the night in Mecca time or Medina time??

IbnAdam77

:salam2: brother...

that question is raised in my mind too before some days...but I have not asked any scholar yet...soon I will ask and will share with you brothers and sisters inshaALLAH...

if any brother or sister knows the answer, please share with us...

thank you so much for raising that question...

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: the prayers during the night for the couple of hours before practised when Allah is in the lowest level of the heavens is practised all over the world. i have not heard that it needs to be at the time when it would be night or very early morning in Mecca or Medina. however, i am not so schooled on such issues, i am just talking from personal experience, so, will await some evidence on the subject from a scholar.

Jazak Allahu Khair for this important thread :)

:wasalam:

Faiza619

Strangers on earth
:salam2:

:ma::ma::ma:
Subhana Allah very nice and beneficial thread.
I think all the brothers are right about the last third part of the night and regarding the prayer being just in Makkah or Madina i dont think that is logical.
We have so many muslims around the world subhana Allah wa Alhamdullilah so i dont think we just depend on Makkah and Madina since everywhere the time is different.
And if you say we follow Makka and Madina then no one else prays in the world apart from when people in Makkah pray?

Jazaak Allahu Kheiran for this wonderful thread.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum,

Ahl us-Sunnah believe in affirm in the nuzool (lowering) of Allaah in the last third/part of the night. It is known. How it occurs is unknown; it occurs in a manner befitting Allaah's Majesty. Belief in it is compulsary and questioning it is an innovation [paraphrased from the words of Imaam Maalik Ibn Anas regarding Allaah rising over his `Arsh (throne)]. We treat the nuzool of Allaah in the same way we treat the other attributes of Allaah, such as His hands, His ascending over the Throne, His eyes and the rest of them. We leave them as they are and accept them without attaching to them metaphorical meanings that have not been substantiated by the Qur'aan, Sunnah and understanding of the salaf (the first generations of Muslims).

Al-Waleed Ibn Muslim said, "I asked Maalik, Al-Awzaa`ee, Layth Ibn Sa`d and Sufyaan Ath-Thawree, may Allaah heave mercy upon them, concerning the reports related about the Attributes, so they said, 'Leave them as they are without asking 'How?''" [Al-Bayhaqee; Asmaa was-Sifaat. The chain is Hasan (acceptable)]

For more information regarding Ahl us-Sunnah's beliefs regarding Allaah's attributes, please refer to the books Lum`at ul-I`tiqaad (Sufficiency in Creed) by the great scholar, Muwaffaq ud-Deen Ibn Qudaamah Al-Maqdisee, who was from the students of Shaykh `Abdul-Qaadir Al-Jaylaanee. Also see Ibn Taymiyyah's `Aqeedah al-Waasitiyah and his `Aqeedah al-Hamawiyyah. I would recommend reading these books with their explanations by the scholars.

IbnAdam77

As-salaamu `alaykum,

Ahl us-Sunnah believe in affirm in the nuzool (lowering) of Allaah in the last third/part of the night. It is known. How it occurs is unknown; it occurs in a manner befitting Allaah's Majesty. Belief in it is compulsary and questioning it is an innovation [paraphrased from the words of Imaam Maalik Ibn Anas regarding Allaah rising over his `Arsh (throne)]. We treat the nuzool of Allaah in the same way we treat the other attributes of Allaah, such as His hands, His ascending over the Throne, His eyes and the rest of them. We leave them as they are and accept them without attaching to them metaphorical meanings that have not been substantiated by the salaf (the first generations of Muslims).

Al-Waleed Ibn Muslim said, "I asked Maalik, Al-Awzaa`ee, Layth Ibn Sa`d and Sufyaan Ath-Thawree, may Allaah heave mercy upon them, concerning the reports related about the Attributes, so they said, 'Leave them as they are without asking 'How?''" [Al-Bayhaqee; Asmaa was-Sifaat. The chain is Hasan (acceptable)]

:salam2: brother Al-Kashmiri

This is exactly same what I thought when this question was raised in my mind also. However, I was not sure about it. We (human beings) are given only with a little amount of knowledge. The point is, that little amount is enough for us to know who HE (swt) is. Alahmdhulillah. Alhamdhulillah. Alhamdhulillah.

Thank you so much brother. JazakALLAH khair.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
:salam2: brother Al-Kashmiri

This is exactly same what I thought when this question was raised in my mind also. However, I was not sure about it. We (human beings) are given only with a little amount of knowledge. The point is, that little amount is enough for us to know who HE (swt) is. Alahmdhulillah. Alhamdhulillah. Alhamdhulillah.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Yes brother, we cannot comprehend these facts as our mental capacities do not reach this far; they are limited subhaan Allaah! Likewise, we have only been given a little of knowledge, and alhamdulillaah it is enough as you said perfectly, to worship Allaah. Instead of (arrogantly) giving preference to our intellects over these issues, by trying to explain them away and even deny them, we accept them and take the benefit of these aayaat and ahaadeeth, so in this case we try to ask from Allaah at this time of the night!

Allaahu Akbarhu Kabeerah!