Article: Al-Qiyaamah as-Sughra (the Minor Resurrection, i.e., Death)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
(5) Things which save one from the trial and torment of the grave

What can save a person from the torment of the grave is to be prepared and ready for death, so even if death comes suddenly, there will be no cause for regret. Some of the ways of preparing for death are hastening to repent, fulfilling one’s obligations and doing a lot of righteous deeds, because faith, prayer, fasting, zakaah, hajj, jihad, honouring one’s parents, upholding ties of kinship, remembering Allah (dhikr) and other kinds of righteous deeds will protect the believer, and by means of these righteous deeds Allah will provide him a way out from every difficulty.

The Messenger of Allah :saw: told us that righteous deeds will protect a person in his grave. Ibn Taymiyyah said:

“According to the famous hadeeth of Muhammad ibn ‘Amr, from Abu Salamah, from Abu Hurayrah from the Prophet :saw:, narrated by Abu Haatim in his Saheeh and by the Imaams, he said:

‘The deceased can hear their footsteps as they depart from him.

If he was a believer, prayer stands by his head, fasting stands to his right, zakaah stands to his left and good deeds such as honesty, upholding ties of kinship and treating people kindly stand at his feet. He is approached from the direction of his head, and prayer says,

“You cannot get past me.”

Then he is approached from the right, and fasting says,

Then he is approached from the direction of his feet, and his good deeds such as honesty, upholding ties of kinship and treating people kindly say,

Then it is said to him,

“Sit up,”
- and he sits up.

Then the sun is made to appear to him as if it is about to set, and it is said to him,

“Who is this man who was among you? What do you say about him?”

He says,

“Let me pray.”

They say,

“You will do that, but tell us about what we asked you about.”

He says,

“What did you ask me about? “

They say,

“What do you say about this man who was among you? What is your testimony concerning him?”

He says,

“I bear witness that he is the Messenger of Allah, and that he brought the truth from Allah.”

It is said to him,

“In this belief you lived and in this belief you died, and in this belief you will be resurrected, Insha’Allah.”

Then one of the gates of Paradise is opened for him, and it is said to him,

“That is your place therein, and what Allah has prepared for you therein,”

- and his joy and happiness increase.

Then one of the gates of Hell is opened for him, and it is said,

“That was your place therein and what Allah has prepared for you therein (if you had disobeyed Allah),"

- and his joy and happiness increase.

Then his grave is expanded for him by seventy cubits, and it is illuminated for him, and his body is put back as it was, and his soul is place in nasm at-teeb, which is a bird that perches in a tree in Paradise.’””

Abu Hurayrah (radhiyAllahu anh) said (quoting the Qur’aan):

Allah will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands firm in this world (i.e. they will keep on worshipping Allah Alone and none else), and in the Hereafter...

(Qur’aan 14: 27)

According to another version:

“Then his body is put back as it was.”

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Seeking refuge with Allah from the trial of the grave and the torment of the grave

Because the trial of the grave and the torment of the grave are major terrors and severe hardships, the Messenger :saw: used to seek refuge with Allah from that in his prayer and at other times, and he used to tell his Companions to do likewise.

According to the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah, a Jewish woman said to her,

“May Allah protect you from the torment of the grave.”

She asked the Messenger :saw: about the torment of the grave, and he said,

“Yes, the torment of the grave.”

‘Aa’ishah said,

“After that I never saw the Messenger of Allah :saw: pray any prayer but he sought refuge with Allah from the torment of the grave.”

Ghandar added:

“The torment of the grave is real.”

(Bukhari: Kitaab al-Janaa’iz, Baab ‘Adhaab al-Qabr, Fath al-Baari,
13/232). Also Muslim, Kitaab al-Masaajid, Baab Istihbaab at-Ta’awwudh min ‘Adhaab al-Qabr, 1/410)

It is narrated from Anas (radhiyAllahu anh) that the Messenger :saw: used to supplicate,

“Allahumma innee a’oodhu bika min al-‘ajz wal-kasal wal-jubun wal-bukhl wal-haram, wa a’oodhu bika min ‘adhaab al qabr, wa ‘aoodhu bika min fitnat il-mahyaa wal-mamaat.

(O Allah, I seek refuge with You from incapacity, laziness, cowardliness, miserliness and old age; I seek refuge with You from the torment of the grave; and I seek reguve with You from the trials of life and death.”)

(Shaykh Naasir-ud-deen said in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (1/406): it is narrated by Ahmad, Bukhari and Muslim)

It is narrated from ‘Aa’ishah that the Messenger :saw: used to say,

“Allahumma inni a’oodhu bika min al-kasl wal-haram wal-ma’tham wal-maghram, wa min fitnat al-qabr wa ‘adhaab al-qabr.

(O’ Allah, I seek refuge with You from laziness, old age, sin and debt, and from the trial of the grave and the torment of the grave).”

(Attributed in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (1/407) to Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Nasaa’i and Ibn Maajah)

The Messenger :saw: used to say to his Companions,

“Seek refuge with Allah from the torment of the grave,”

- and they would say,

“Na’oodhu Billaahi min ‘adhaab al-qabr (we seek refuge with Allah from the torment of the grave).”

(Muslim, Kitaab al-Jannah, Baab ‘Ard Maq’ad al-Mayit min al-Jannah aw an-Naar ‘alayhi, 4/2199)

And he used to say to them,

“Seek Allahs protection from the torment of the grave, for the torment of the grave is real.”

(At-Tabaraani with a saheeh isnad. See Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1/317)

And he used to tell them to seek refuge with Allah from four things:

“Seek refuge with Allah from the torment of the grave; seek refuge with Allah from Hell; seek regufe with Allah from the trial of Al-Maseeh
ad-Dajjaal (Pseudo-Christ); seek refuge with Allah from the trials of life and death.”

(Attributed in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (1/320) to Tirmidhi and Nasaa’i)

He used to tell them to seek refuge with Allah from the torment of the grave in their prayers, after reciting the Tashahhud. It is narrated that Abu Hurayrah (radhiyAllahu anh) stated,

“The Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

‘When anyone of you recites the Tashahhud, let him seek refuge with Allah from four things, and say,

“Allahumma inni a’oodhu bika man ‘adhaab Jahannam, wa min ‘adhaab al-qabr, wa min fitnat il-mahyaa wal-mamaat, wa min sharri fitnat il-Maseeh ad-Dajjaal

(O’ Allah, I seek refuge with you from the torment of Hell, from the torment of the grave, from the trials of life and death, and from the evil of the trial of Al-Masheeh ad-Dajjaal (Pseudo Christ).’””

(Muslim; Kitaab al-Masaajid, Baab ma yusta’aadh minhu fis-Salaah, 1/412, hadeeth no. 588)

It is narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Messenger used to teach them this du’aa’ as he taught them a soorah from the Qur’aan:

“Allahumma inni a’oodhu bika min ‘adhaab Jahannam, wa a’oodhu bika min ‘adhaab al-qabr, wa a’oodhu bika min fitnat al-maseeh ad-Dajjaal, wa a’oodhu bika min fitnat il-mahyaa wal-mamaat

(O’ Allah, I seek refuge with You from the torment of Hell, I seek refuge with You from the torment of the grave, I seek refuge with You from the trial of the Dajjaal, and I seek refuge with You from the trials of life and death).”

(Muslim, Kitaab al-Masaajid, Baab ma yusta’aadh minhu fis-Salaah, 1/412, hadeeth no. 590)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
(6) Those who are protected from the trial and torment of the grave

Some of the believers who do great good deeds or who suffer immense calamities will be protected from the trial and torment of the grave. Among them are the following:

1) The shaheed (martyr)

Al-Miqdaam ibn Ma’di Karb narrated that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

“The shaheed will have six blessings from Allah: he will be forgiven from the first drop of blood shed; he will be shown his place in Paradise; he will be spared the torment of the grave; he will be protected from the greater terror (of the Day of Judgement); A crown of dignity, will be placed on his head, one ruby of which is better than this world and all that is in it; he will be married to seventy two of al-hoor al-‘iyn; and he will be permitted to intercede for seventy of his relatives.”

This is narrated by Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah.

(Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, (2/358). Its isnad is hasan as stated by the editor of al-Mishkaat, Shaykh Naasir-ud-deen al-Albaanee)

Nasaa’i narrated in his Sunan from Raashid ibn Sa’id from one of the Comapanions of the Messenger of Allah :saw: that a man said,

“O’ Messenger of Allah, why will the believers be tried in their graves, apart from the shaheed?”

He said,

“The flashing of the sword above his head is sufficient trial for him.”

(Its isnad is saheeh. See Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz by Shaykh Naasir-
ud-deen al-Albaanee:36; and Saheeh al-Jaami’, 4/164)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
2) The one who dies as a muraabit for the sake of Allah

(Muraabit: one who stands guard at the borders of Islaam. The word is derived from rabt al-khayl (tying a horse), then it was applied to anyone who guards one of the Muslims’ borders, regardless of whether he is cavalry or infantry. (Author)

Fadaalah ibn ‘Ubayd narrated that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

“For every person who dies, his deeds come to an end, except for the one who dies as a muraabit (guard) for the sake of Allah. Allah will make his good deeds grow on the Day of Resurrection, and will protect him from the trial of the grave.”

This is narrated in Tirmidhi and Abu Dawood.

(Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, 2/355. Its isnad is saheeh as stated by the editor of al-Mishkaat)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
3) The one who dies on Friday

According to the hadeeth of ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Amr, the Prophet :saw: said:

“There is no Muslim who dies on Friday, but Allah will save him from the trial of the grave.”

This is narrated by Ahmad and Tirmidhi, and the hadeeth is saheeh or hasan when all its isnads are taken into account.

(Ahmad and Tirmidhi, and the hadeeth is saheeh or hasan when all its isnads are taken into account. Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz, 35)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
4) The one who dies of a stomach disease.

It is reported in a hadeeth by ‘Abdullaah ibn Yasaar:

“I was sitting with Sulaymaan ibn Sard and Khaalid ibn ‘Arfatah, and they said that a man had passed away. He had died of a stomach disease, and they wished that they had attended his funeral. One of them said to the other,

‘Didn’t the Messenger of Allah :saw: say,

“Whoever dies of a stomach disease will not be tormented in his grave?’”

And the other said,

‘Yes, he did.’”

According to another report,

“You have spoken the truth.”

(Shaykh Naasir said in Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz: it was narrated by Nasaa’i and by Tirmidhi, who classed it as hasan. Also narrated by Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh, and by at-Tayaalisi and Ahmad. Its isnad is saheeh. (Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz, p. 38)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
5 – The Lessons of Death

(1) – Death is the greatest lesson

We have quoted above the texts which speak of death and its stupor, and the grave and its terrors. The wise man is the one learns lesson from this, for death is the greatest lesson. It was said to one of the ascetics (zaahid),

“What is the most eloquent lesson?”

He said,

“Looking at the dead.”

(Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, 99)

Qurtubi described death very well when he said:

“Know that death is the greatest calamity, the most terrifying thing, the cup whose taste is most hateful and bitter. It is the destroyer of delights, which puts an end to all comforts and brings all that you dislike. The thing that cuts off your limbs, separates your body parts and destroys your strength is indeed a terrifying thing, an immense, calamity, and the day when it happens is a terrible day.”

(Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, 24)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
(2) – Thinking about death

Just as life is one of the signs of Allah, so too death is another sign, the opposite of life, which is no less wondrous.

How can you disbelieve in Allah? Seeing that you were dead and He gave you life. Then He will give you death, then again will bring you to life (on the Day of Resurrection) and then unto Him you will return.

(Qur’aan 2: 28)

Thinking about this aayah means thinking about one of the wonders of Allahs creation which points to the great power of Allah. It is narrated that a Bedouin was travelling on his camel. It fell and dead. The Bedouin got off the camel and started walking around it, pondering the matter, and saying,

“Why won’t you get up? Why won’t you move? Your limbs are all there, your faculties are all sound. What is wrong with you? What was it that made you alive and kept you moving? What made you fall dead? What is stopping you from moving?”

Then he went away, wondering at this matter.

(Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, p. 5)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
(3) – Examples of lessons

[FONT=&quot]Allah told His Messenger about death, and said:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Verily, you (O’ Muhammad) will die, and verily, they (too) will die.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Qur’aan 39: 30)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]According to a hadeeth narrated by At-Tabaraani in Al-Awsat, Abu Na’eem in Al-Hilyah, Al-Haakim in Al-Mustadrak and others, ‘Ali (radhiyAllahu anh) reported:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“The Messenger of Allah [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]said:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
‘Jibreel (Gabriel) came to me and said,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“O’ Muhammad, live as long as you like, for you are going to die. Love whomever you want, for you are going to leave them. Do whatever you want, for you are going to be requited for it. Know that the honour of the believer is his standing in prayer at night, and his pride is in his independence from the people.’””[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Silsilat al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah, 2/505, hadeeth no. 831)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
We have quoted many of the texts in which Allah and His Messenger have taught us about death. It was the habit of the righteous to remind themselves about death and to preach to the people about it. ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (radhiyAllahu anh) said:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“This world is moving away from us, and the Hereafter is moving towards us. Each of them has its own people, so be among the people of the Hereafter, do not be among the people of this world. Today is striving, not reckoning, but tomorrow will be reckoning and not striving.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
This is narrated by Bukhari in the chapter “Hoping to live long.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, 2/659, hadeeth no. 5215)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Among the lessons taught by the scholars is that which was quoted in Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Think, O’ you who are deceived by this world, of death and its agonies, how difficult and bitter a cup it is. What a true promise death is! How fair a judge it is! Death is enough to fill the heart with fear and the eyes with tears, to separate people, destroy pleasure and put an end to all worldly hopes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Have you given any thought, O’ son of Adam, to the day when you will die and will be taken out of your place? When you will move from the spaciousness (of this world) to the confines (of the grave), when friends and loved ones will let you down, and brothers and friends will desert you?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When you will be taken from your bed and placed in a hole in the ground, and instead of a soft blanket you will be covered with dust and earth? O’ gatherer of wealth, O’ industrious builder, by Allah you will have nothing left of your possessions except shroud, and even they will be destroyed and will vanish as your body disintegrates and turns to dust.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Where is the wealth that you amassed? Will it save you from these terrors? No indeed, you have left is behind for those who will not praise you, and you have come with your burdens (of sin) to One Who will not excuse you.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, p. 9)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Qurtubi narrated that Yazeed al-Riqaashi used to say to himself:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Woe to you, O’ Yazeed. Who will pray on your behalf after you die? Who will fast on your behalf after you die? Who will make Allah be pleased with you after you die?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Then he said:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“O’ people, why do you not weep and wail for yourselves for the rest of your lives? When you are being sought by the grave, when the grave is home, the earth your bed, the worms your companions, and you will be awaiting the greater terror?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Ibid, p. 9)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Qurtubi said elsewhere:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Imagine yourself, O’ you who have been deceived by this world, when the agony and stupor of death overwhelms you, and you start moaning in the throes of death. There will be some who will say, So and so has made a will, and his wealth has been calculated; others will say, So and so can no longer speak, he does not recognise his neighbours and he does not speak to his brothers. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is as if I can see you listening to these words and unable to respond. Imagine yourself, O’ son of Adam, being taken from your bad to the place where your body will be washed and shrouded, and being forsaken by your family and neighbours, wept over by your friends and brothers. Imagine the one who was washed your body saying,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘Where is the wife of So and so to forgive him? Where are the orphans? Your father has left you and you will never see him again after this day.’”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, p. 21)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
In one of the lessons preached by the great Sahaabi Abu-Dardaa’, he said:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Three things make smile, and three things make me weep. The things that make me smile are: the man who has great hopes in this world whilst death is seeking him, the one who ignores death but it does not ignore him, and the one who laughs out loud but he does not know whether Allah is pleased with him or angry.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The things that make me weep are: departing from Muhammad [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]:saw: and his Companions, the terrifying moments at the point of death, and standing before Allah on the Day when all secrets will be made known and not knowing whether one is heading for Paradise or for Hell.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Ibid, p. 87)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Abu-Dardaa’ or Abu Dharr said:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“You give birth to those who are going to die, you build that which will be destroyed, you focus on that which will pass away, and you neglect that which will remain.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Kitaab az-Zuhd war-Raqaa’iq by Ibn al-Mubaarak, p. 88)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Qurtubi gave the following advice in his Tadhkirah:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
“Where is the wealth that you have gathered and prepared for hardship and terror? There is no money in your hand when you are dying. The wealth and pride that you enjoyed have been replaced with humiliation and poverty. What has become of you, O’ prisoner of your burdens, O’ you have been taken away from your family and your home?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
What was it that concealed the right path from you, and caused you to have no interest in making provision for your long journey and time of difficulty? Did you not know, O’ you who were deceived by this world, that this journey to the Day of intense horror was inevitable, when the time spent in gossip would be to no avail?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That is the Day when you are standing before the Sovereign, the Judge, and the blows struck by your hands, the places where your feet took you, the words uttered by your tongue, the actions of all your limbs, and faculties, will be counted against you. If Allah has mercy on you, you will go to Paradise, otherwise you will go the Fire of Hell.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
O’ negligent one who ignores these matters, how long will this negligence last? How long will you delay? Do you think that the issue is insignificant? Do you think that the matter is easy? Do you think that you situation will help you when it is time for you to depart?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Or that your wealth will save you when your actions condemn you? Or that your regret will help you when your feet are slipping? Or that your friends will show you any sympathy when you are gathered (for judgement)?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No, by Allah, you are wrong in your thinking, and you will inevitably come to know the reality. You are not content with enough, you never have your fill of that which is haraam, you do not listen to lessons, you are not deterred by warnings. You persist in following your desires and you go about your life without guidance. You are happy with the things that you have accumulated but you do not think of what lies ahead.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]O’ you who are sleeping unawares, wandering without guidance, for how long will the neglect last? Do you think that you will be left alone and let off, and that you will not be brought to account tomorrow? Or do you think that death can be bribed? Or do you think that death distinguishes between the lion and the gazelle?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
No, by Allah, wealth and sons can never ward off death from you. Nothing can benefit those who will be forgiven except righteous deeds. So good news to those who listen and understand, who practice what they preach, and are deterred from following their whims and desires, those who know that the victor is the one who pays heed, and that man will have nothing except that for which he strives, and he will see what he has striven for.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So wake up from this negligence, and make righteous deeds the provision with which you equip yourselves. Do not wish to attain the status of the righteous when you are being weighed down with burdens (of sin), doing immoral deeds, when Allah is watching you even when you are alone. Do not be so deceived by hopes and wishes that you neglect to strive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
One poet said:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
‘Take provision from this life to help yourself in the Hereafter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Strive for the sake of Allah and do good deeds.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Do not accumulate too much in this world,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
For that accumulation will eventually diminish.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Would you like to accompany people[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Who have provision when you do not?’”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot](Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, 91)[/FONT][/FONT]

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
(4) – More lessons from Arabic poetry

Poets often mentioned death and used it as a lesson. For example, the poet said:

“Nothing of what you see will keep its beauty.

Allah will remain, whilst wealth and children will pass away.

The treasure of Hormuz was of no help to him,

And ‘Aad tried to live forever, but they failed.

Sulaymaan did not live forever, although the wind was subjugated to him,

As were men and jinn, who paraded before him.

Where are the kings in whose honour

Delegations came from all directions?

Like a trough from which all and sundry come and drink,

One day we too shall drink from it, just as they did.”

Another poet said:

“We walk the steps which are written for us.

Whoever is decreed to walk certain steps will do so.

Our provision is scattered,

So if a person’s provision does not come to him, he will go and get it.

Whoever is decreed to die in a certain land,

Will never die in any other land.”

Another poet said:

“If you are put in charge of some people one night,

Know that you will subsequently be responsible.

If you carry a person to his grave,

Know that one day you too will be carried.”

Another poet said:

“Take provision from this world, for you never know

When night comes, will you live until morning?

How often has a bride been adorned for her husband,

When it has been decreed on Laylat al-Qadr that their souls will be taken that year?

How often has a young man hoped for a long life,

Then his soul has entered the darkness of the grave?

How many healthy people have died without illness,

And how many chronically sick people have lived for years?

How often have young people spent day and night in play,

When their shrouds have already been prepared for them, but they do not know?

How many of those who started the day dwelling in palaces,

Have ended up dwelling in the tomb by nightfall?

Be sincere, and always do good,

Maybe you will earn the reward.

Always fear Allah, because

That will be your protection from the horrors in the place of gathering.”

Another poet said:

“Suppose that worldly joys come to you easily,

Will you not eventually depart from them?

Your life in this world is like shade

That covers you briefly, then disappears.”

Another poet said:

“O you who feel so settled in this world,

After this ease will come a very hard Day.

Death brings agony so watch for that.

No doctor could help you when that begins.

How much you delay until you become a prisoner (of your sin),

Then comes the call (of death) and you answer.

Remember the Day when you will be brought to account.

The one who remember death should turn back to Allah.

There is no moment of your life

When death is not watching and waiting.

Every day it aims an arrow at you.

If it misses you one day, soon it will hit you.”

Another poet said:

“Every day, death is preparing the shroud,

But we are unaware of what is going to happen to us.

Do not be content with this world and its joys,

Even though it may adorn itself with its finery.

Where are our loved one and neighbours, what did they do?

Where are those with whom we used to feel happy?

Death gave them a bitter cup to drink,

And kept them prisoners underground.”

Another poet said:

“Repent sincerely

Before death comes and your tongue cannot speak.

Hasten to do this before death comes, for it

Is provision and booty for the one who turns back to Allah and does good.”

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
(5) – The effect of remembering death on reforming people

Remembering death has a great impact on reforming and disciplining people. That is because people are influenced by this world and its delights, so they hope to live long in this world. They may be inclined towards sin and disobedience, and they may fall short in obedience. But if death is always on a person’s mind, then this world will become less significant in his sight and that will make strive to reform himself and put right whatever is wrong in his case. It is narrated by Al-Bayhaqi in Shu’ab al-Eemaan, Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh and by Al-Bazzaar in his Musnad with a hasan isnad that Anas ibn Maalik (radhiyAllahu anh) related:

“The Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

‘Remember often the destroyer of pleasure, death, for no one remembers death in times of hardship but that makes him feel better, and no one remembers death in times of ease but that restrains him.’”

(Saheeh al-Jaami’ as-Sagheer, 1/388, hadeeth no. 1222)

Ibn al-Mubaarak mentioned that Saalih al-Murri used to say,

“If I cease to remember death for a moment, my heart goes corrupt.”

(Az-Zuhd war-Raqaa’iq by Ibn al-Mubaarak, p. 88)

Ad-Daqqaaq said:

“Whoever remembers death often will be honoured with three things: he will hasten to repent, he will be content with his lot, and he will have the energy for worship. Whoever forgets about death, three things will happen to him: he will delay repentance, he will not be content with what he has and he will be lazy when it comes to worship.”

(Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, p. 9)

Qurtubi said:

“Know that remembrance of death results in feeling discontent with this temporary life and focusing at every moment on the eternal life of the Hereafter.”

(Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, p. 8)

It is narrated that a woman complained to ‘Aa’ishah of the hardness in her
heart. She said to hear:

“Remember death often, for that will soften your heart.”

She did that, and her heart was softened.

(Ibid)

Qurtubi related: the scholars said: remembering death deters one from sin, softens the hard heart, stops one from delighting in this world, and makes disasters look bearable.

(Ibid)

Qurtubi also wrote: the scholars – may Allah have mercy on them – said: there is nothing more beneficial to people’s hearts than visiting graves, especially if their hearts are hard. Those whose hearts are hard must treat them with three things:

Giving up the things in which they are wasting their time, and attending gatherings of knowledge in which they will hear lessons of warning (about Hell), encouragement (to strive for Paradise) and stories of the righteous, for all of these are things which soften the heart.

Remembering death: calling to mind frequently the destroyer of pleasures, that which separates people and makes orphans of sons and daughters.
Looking at those who are dying, because looking at the dying and seeing the agony and stupor of death, and thinking about these images after he has passed away, will cut a person off from his pleasures and expel any feelings of joy from his heart; it will keep him awake at night and deprive him of his rest; it will motivate him to strive and make him try harder.

(Ibid)

It is narrated that Al-Hasan al-Basri went to see a sick man whom he used to visit, and he found him in the agony of death. He looked at his distress and the hardship that he was suffering, then he went back to his family with a different expression than that with which he had left them. They said to him,

“Food is ready, may Allah have mercy on you.”

He said,

“O my family, enjoy your food and drink, for by Allah I have seen death and I will keep striving for that until I meet Him (Allah).”

(Tadhkirat al-Qurtubi, p. 12)

Abu-Dardaa’ said:

“Whoever remembers death often, his joy will be reduced and his envy will be reduced.”

(Kitaab az-Zuhd by Ibn al-Mubaarak; see the end of the book Zawaa’id Kitaab az-Zuhd, its narrator is Na’eem ibn Hammaad, p. 37)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
End.

As-salaamu'Aalaykum wa'Rahmatullaahi wa'Barakatuh,

Insha'Allah, this is proves to be helpful.

I seek refuge with Allah from the Hell fire, the trials of the grave, the trials of life and death and the trial of the Dajjaal.

Wa-alaykum Salaam wa'Rahmatullaahi wa'Barakatuh.

halah

Remembering death has a great impact on reforming and disciplining people. That is because people are influenced by this world and its delights, so they hope to live long in this world. They may be inclined towards sin and disobedience, and they may fall short in obedience. But if death is always on a person’s mind, then this world will become less significant in his sight and that will make strive to reform himself and put right whatever is wrong in his case. It is narrated by Al-Bayhaqi in Shu’ab al-Eemaan, Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh and by Al-Bazzaar in his Musnad with a hasan isnad that Anas ibn Maalik (radhiyAllaahu anh) related:

“The Messenger of Allaah :saw: said:

‘Remember often the destroyer of pleasure, death, for no one remembers death in times of hardship but that makes him feel better, and no one remembers death in times of ease but that restrains him.’”

(Saheeh al-Jaami’ as-Sagheer, 1/388, hadeeth no. 1222)

Asslamu alikum

Jazak Allah khayr brother for this excellent and comprehensive thread masha'Allah , we do need to remember death oftenly for not being indulged in this life so much.
May Allah make the dearest of our lifetime,the time we meet Him and the best of our deeds its last.

Abu Juwairiya

'Every breath we take is taking us closer to death. The time we spend in this world is short, the time we are held in our graves is long, and the punishment for following our lowly desires is calamitous.' (Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyyah: Introduction to Sincere Counsel To The Seekers of Sacred Knowledge)