As an Muslim woman how do I deal with my families traditions?

AneesaSofia

Assyalimu Alakium,
I need help in finding out if it is alright for my parents to give me and my children gifts for Christmas. I am a convert but my parents still celebrate the American holidays and I have told them many times that we don't celebrate it but they insist on getting us gifts for Christmas. I never go there to celebrate it but they bring us gifts. Is it bad to accept these gifts, what do I do?

muhammad sabri

:salam2:

My dear sister first you should keep in mind that Allah(subhanawa taala) judges us by intention and so you should remember that :

1 - This gift should not be meat that has been slaughtered for the festival.

2 – It should not be something that may be used to help in imitating them on the day of their festival, such as candles, eggs, palm leaves etc.

3 – You should explain to the children the belief in al-wala’ wa’l-bara’ (loyalty and friendship vs. disavowal and enmity), lest a love of this festival or a fondness for the giver be instilled in their hearts.

4 – The gift should be accepted with the aim of softening the heart and calling to Islam

So accept the gift as a human being would accept it from a fellow brother/sister in humanity but not for the sake of the festival! :)

i hope this helps

-and Allah(subhana wa taala) know best-

wajazakallah khayran

:wasalam:

Casiva

A Servant of Allah
Waalaikumsalam,
I agree with comment above and want to add:
- Make sure your gifts are not something haram like wine,beer,pork,anything consists of haram extract (like gelatine or food whose ingredients are sake,wine,etc),and so on
- If you mind to accept those gifts,how's about giving them to orphans? Of course without your parents knowing
That's all. Treat your parents and relatives kindly so they will see that Islam has changed your family to better. Who knows they will be the next to convert ;)
May Allah bless us :)

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

I think Casiva's suggestion is good. If you don't feel comfortable with the gifts, there are plenty of less fortunate people willing to accept them.