As-salamu 'alaykum; Greetings from a New Member/Prospective Convert

mnemonicus

:salam2:

Greetings to all of you. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Ed, I'm 26, and I'm an American graduate student (graduated this week!). I am studying history and Islamic studies, hopefully to become a teacher in this field. I'm slowly learning Arabic, too. I've read the Quran in detail with my tutor, and I've studied Islamic literature. These are really beautiful studies, and I enjoy them immensely. Needless to say, academically, Islam fascinates me. So, this is the foundation from which I approach Islam at the present - one of learning.

However, spiritually, I have been in limbo for some time; after leaving Christianity as a matter of conscience, I have had no religion other than a very simple monotheism. In this, I have sought God, and he has taken me somewhere - I'm not quite sure where, yet... But I can see that Islam is very attractive to me because it simply makes sense to me, and I can forgive the things that may be disagreeable to others, as a matter of historical context. In short, I am in great need of a great spiritual anchor - I deeply desire to take that spiritual hand-hold offered by Allah in Quran 2:256, and to know the wonderful God discussed in the preceeding aya... but I suppose I do not know how to approach this decision. I think to take up Islam is a very serious life decision, and I don't want to muck it up due to being unready, uncertain, and insufficiently educated as to what I'm choosing to do!

My questions are the following: I would like to look into making Islam my religion, but I am not sure how to build the social and educational foundation that is right for me in this pursuit. How would you go about this? It's unfortunate that there are probably few Muslims in my area, especially since it would be stupid to dive right in while having no support. I need to meet Muslims I trust, and I need to learn from the right people. My professor is a good person, and fine teacher who has done his religion justice, but I do not believe that it is appropriate to approach him with this, at least while I am studying under him in a scholarly context.

And - How do I respect and or disregard various commentary and interpretation of the Quran, e.g., tafsir? Should I just read it for myself and worry about that later?

Also - how do I choose which interpretation of Islam to follow, e.g., Sunni, Shiite, Sufi, etc, and how would I choose to follow their respective fiqh? I should note that I am wary of overly legalistic religion in general - not because I do not like laws and rules - but because I believe one's spirituality cannot be boiled down to behavior and action through law.

Lastly - I am especially interested in the internal, esoteric aspects of Islam, e.g., batin. What are good things to read (aside from the Holy Quran) to build up a deeper understanding of the relationships between Allah and man, Allah and creation, and the nature of Allah?

Thank you very much, and I look forward to meeting many of you,

Edward

Jihan

brother, don't worry about sunni, shiite...etc.
but read the quran with a open heart (even if u have to use translation) and read the hadiths of the Prophet (saw) and InshAllah the truth will be apparent.

abdellah007

salam

salam alaykum brother

well i see that ur so closed from shahada, may allah help u .

i advice u to read SAHIH ALBOUKHARI after reading the quran.

wassalam

Imad

You are welcome Ed,

islam includes the batin (inside) and Dhahir (outside). islam is a religion of pure intention for Allah which is formed inside the heart and participation of the body parts (outside).

This can be summarised:

1- Ighlaas
2- El- Mutaba3a

The first one means you have to worship Allah alone with pure intention.
The second means you have to follow our prophet Sallalahu 3aleihi Wassalem when you worship Allah.

You have to witness there is no Ilah which has the right to be worshipped only Allah. You have to witness that Muhammed is the prophet of Allah and his last messengers.

We don't worship cows, we don't worship prophets , we don't worship graves, we don't worship the moon, we don't worship the sun etc.... we worship Allah alone.

This is the concept of islam and we follow our prophet, he has been send By Allah subhanahu wata3ala to guide people. Do you want to be guided you have to follow this prophet.

Because Allah said clear in the Quraan: " say if you love Allah follow me ( Muhammad), Allah will love you and he will forgive your sins"

Ilm ( knowledge ) is very important. What is Ilm ( knowledge)?

Ilm about Allah, about His prophet and His deen (religion) with clear proofs.

If you have Questions please don't hesitate to ask them.

take care

Wassalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Imad

zeneesha

~trini_muslimah~
:salam2: brother.
Welcome to TTI.

May Allah swt guide you and bless you.
Insha Allah everything will work out for you.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
AsalamAlakum,

Welcome to TTI

It’s nice to have u join this lovely community.

Insha Allah u benefit from us as we from u.

Enjoy ur stay Insha Allah,

Masha Allah u seem like a very intelligent person, im sure that u will find the right path. May Allah guide u and never let u go astray!!

Take Care,

As you said :salam2:
i say :wasalam:
Welcome to the website. Feel free to search for questions that you want to know there are a lot of topics and threads about many things in Islam, and if you have question you can ask.
I think first you have to know what is Islam as message and may Allah make other things easy for you.

Who Is Allah?

What is a Muslim?

Proof of Allah's Existance from the Quran

Also :jazaak: borthers and sisters who gave short answers. New member need just to be welcomed and let him or her free and if they have questions, answers will be welcome.
:wasalam:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum.

Use the following links to download a lecture from an American convert called Khalid Yasin. It's the Purpose of Life. Hopefully it will help you make your decision:

The Purpose of Life by Sheikh Khalid Yasin

Disk One
Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5
Track 6
Track 7
Track 8
Track 9
Track 10
Track 11
Track 12
Track 13

Disk Two
Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5
Track 6
Track 7
Track 8
Track 9
Track 10
Track 11
Track 12
Track 13
Track 14
Track 15
Track 16
Track 17
Track 18
Track 19
Track 20
Track 21
Track 22
Track 23
Track 24

mnemonicus

Mr. Khalid Yasin's lecture is interesting. I am listening to it, and I'll maybe comment on it when I'm done.

Thanks for posting it.

NaXuS

mnemonicus whether its Quran or Hadith or any other Islamic book ,always read it with the intention that you r reading them to get guided and be patient with your knowledge because each verse or a hadith you ponder upon will come back to you and will explain its self or illustrate its self to you.

Best of luck

pilgrim

Allahu Akbar
asalamu alaikum dear brother

:ma: its so good to hear that you've found the light of Islam and i congratulate you on wanting to follow the "right" Islam...astaghfirullah...The prophet(pbuh) said that his ummah would splits into a number of deviant groups(can't recall the exact number...i think its 23...a'u dhu billah) Two things you must follow and inshaalah you're on the straight path,i.e.The book of Allah(The Noble Qur'an) and the prophet's(pbuh)sunnah. Remember that tere are alot of virulent propaganda about Islam on the internet and be sure that the source you're getting your information from is good and of sound authenticity. Most authentic ahadith were narrated by sahih al-bukhari and sahih al-muslim. this is a a reliable website containing ahadith narrated by bukhari and muslim....also a website where you can get information(good).
http://.usc.edu/dept/MSA/reference/searchhadith.html

Please forgive me if i said anything that was wrong...indeed it is the evil in me.:astag:

pilgrim

Allahu Akbar
asalamu alaikum brother

:ma: Ya Allah,it feels so good when people has found the light of Islam! i must say that its a very good decision you have made in wanting to get right information about Islam.One thing you must know is that there are alot of bidah in Islam...and all bidah,be it good or bad,is in the hell-fire.Also one thing you must know,which i think you know is that Muhammad(SAWS),our beloved prophet said that his ummah would split into a number of deviant sects(i think its 23,:astag: ) and so its very important on what teachings you follow. Two things i would advise you to follow and inshaallah you would be in the straight path,i.e.the book of Allah(The Noble Qur'an) and the Prophet's sunnah. Also remember that there are alot of virulent propaganda about Islam on the internet,so be sure where you get your information. This is a wonderful and reliable website where you get get the most authentic ahadith,i.e.Ahadith narrated by sahih al-bukhari and sahih al-muslim.

a'u dhu billah.:wasalam: :hijabi:

maymun

:ma: Ya Allah,it feels so good when people has found the light of Islam! i must say that its a very good decision you have made in wanting to get right information about Islam.One thing you must know is that there are alot of bidah in Islam...and all bidah,be it good or bad,is in the hell-fire.Also one thing you must know,which i think you know is that Muhammad(SAWS),our beloved prophet said that his ummah would split into a number of deviant sects(i think its 73,:astag: ) and so its very important on what teachings you follow. Two things i would advise you to follow and inshaallah you would be in the straight path,i.e.the book of Allah(The Noble Qur'an) and the Prophet's sunnah. Also remember that there are alot of virulent propaganda about Islam on the internet,so be sure where you get your information. This is a wonderful and reliable website where you get get the most authentic ahadith,i.e.Ahadith narrated by sahih al-bukhari and sahih al-muslim.

a'u dhu billah.:wasalam: :hijabi:
asallamu alaikum brother
it's 73 sects and only 1 sects will enter the paradise that the ahlusunnah waljamaa`a
may allah safe us from the hell fire allahuma ameen
salaam

dna1987

Muslim Guy
And - How do I respect and or disregard various commentary and interpretation of the Quran, e.g., tafsir? Should I just read it for myself and worry about that later?

For the entire Quran, along with recitation and authentic english translation, try the following site:
www.quranexplorer.com/quran

With Mishary Alafasy's recitation, and each verse being highlighted (and the translation of your choice), you could sit in front of it and watch for hours.

If you want a good tafsir site, the following is one:
http://www.islamibayanaat.com/EnglishMarefulQuran.htm
The link is provided from the quranexplorer site.

Take care.

Salam alaikum.

Izzu

Brother welcome to TTI. I saw that you have been given a number of options to try by brothers and sisters. Perhaps it is too confusing to follow all of them at this point of time. If I was you, to begin with I would personally follow just Quran (good translations are Abdullah Yousuf ali and Marmaduke Pickthall) and the authentic life of Prophet pbuh. That would built my foundation and then I would start with the other info.
Once you read the translation of quran, perhaps you could try Tafsir Ibn Kathir (freely available on net with english translation) and any reliable hadith book like Bukhari or Muslim etc. The tafsir is a bit long but is considered to be one of the best. Please also remember that hadith has to follow the quran and not the other way round. If a hadith seems to contradict quran, perhaps it is not an authentic hadith.
At this stage I wouldnt worry about Sunni, Shia etc (actually for me there is nothing like that). Whoever follows the quran and sunnah of prophet pbuh is a muslim and that should be enough.
May God help you.
Wassalam.

Aliyah206

Welcome brotha

walaikum sallam brotha..
we warmly welcome you with open arms and love to ISLAM and to this site,..mashallah , it's good that ur tryiing and praticing the deen..keep doing what ya doing and ALLAH will make it easy for you..INSHA-RAHMAN..may ALlah's peace and blessings be with you to day, tomorrow, and years to come..

Ur sis fil ISLAM:tti_sister:

Bluegazer

Hello Edward,

Thank you for your interest in Islam, and a very warm welcome to you in this forum. I hope you find Muslims here co-operative.

My advise is to start learning about the fundamentals and basic articles of faith in Islam.

To begin with, you must recognise how Islamic monotheism is distinct from Jewish and Christian representations of monotheism. To learn about this and other matters, I sincerely advise you to read Dr. Bilal Philips' "Fundamentals of Tawheed [Islamic Monotheism]". It's an excellent book.

Then you have to know about the 6 Pillars of Faith and the 5 Pillars of Islam. To read a general overview about them, click on the following links:

6 Pillars of Faith

5 Pillars of Islam

To read about the Islamic view of religion's role in society and other related matters, I sincerely hope you read Haneef Oliver's "Sacred Freedom". To view more details and reviews of this book, click on the following link:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74045&postcount=1

I wish you all the best Edward.

Best regards,

Bluegazer