Assalamu Alaykum, i'am new here

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
Hello, i'am a 25yr old female and I live in the UK. I am not a muslim but i have been learning about Islam for the past year or so. I truely believe that there is one god (Allah) and I believe in the prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him. I want to convert and I know I should not hesitate in doing so but i am hesitating. My main problem is that I worry what others will think. I know I should be happy because i have found Islam, and i am but at the same time i am so sad, really sad.

I'm sad because my parents are athiests and they will not understand and might be angry. I'm sad because i want them to believe in Islam. I'm sad because although i want to follow Islam, i don't know how strong i am at giving up the things i enjoy (alcohol, smoking). I know this may be easy for some people but going out on a weekend with the girls for a few drinks has always been normal for me. I am worried about my friends reactions and i am sad because I feel like i'm leaving behind my old life. Eventually i might feel like i can't be around my friends because i may feel pressured to drink alcohol or smoke and i am scared at the thought of loosing my friends. I just worry and feel stressed about everything. All these thoughts are in my head and it's driving me crazy.

Anyway.. Is there anyone out there who worried about any of the things i'm worried about? I am glad I found this site. Thank you.

sazk

Banned
where in the UK are you? south? midlands? i have the UK muslim directory with me. maybe i can recommend a place where they can help you out with the social problems and confidence issues

sazk

Banned
Asalam alaikum (peace be unto you) sister,

maybe this link might help in how reverts can tell their parents:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27391

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqy-x5UkCno&feature=related

you'll find several other links in the sections for reverts ( e.g. new muslim videos). they'll show you several others in the UK who have been thru the same process as you and that might give you something. also if there is an islamic center near where you live you can always go there and talk to them.

BigAk

Hello, i'am a 25yr old female and I live in the UK. I am not a muslim but i have been learning about Islam for the past year or so. I truely believe that there is one god (Allah) and I believe in the prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him. I want to convert and I know I should not hesitate in doing so but i am hesitating. My main problem is that I worry what others will think. I know I should be happy because i have found Islam, and i am but at the same time i am so sad, really sad.

I'm sad because my parents are athiests and they will not understand and might be angry. I'm sad because i want them to believe in Islam. I'm sad because although i want to follow Islam, i don't know how strong i am at giving up the things i enjoy (alcohol, smoking). I know this may be easy for some people but going out on a weekend with the girls for a few drinks has always been normal for me. I am worried about my friends reactions and i am sad because I feel like i'm leaving behind my old life. Eventually i might feel like i can't be around my friends because i may feel pressured to drink alcohol or smoke and i am scared at the thought of loosing my friends. I just worry and feel stressed about everything. All these thoughts are in my head and it's driving me crazy.

Anyway.. Is there anyone out there who worried about any of the things i'm worried about? I am glad I found this site. Thank you.

Sister lozlg.... Take it easy... Islam was revealed over a 23 year period and came on gradually on people that they grew with it. What I'm trying to say is that you should have realistic expectations of yourself and take it one step at a time, and things will fall into place with time... The longer you're in Islam the further your body and mind will detach from the old you and that will happen gradually and easily. Let me give you a small example:

During the time of Jahiliya (pre islam) everyone drank alcohol in Macca. It would have been very hard on people to adapt Islam and leave this old habbit behind.. But, with the wisdom of Allah, He revealed the law slowly over a long period. First Allah revealed the verse that ordered the believer to not approach prayers while they're intoxicated.

"O you who believe, do not observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) while intoxicated, so that you know what you are saying. "
[4:43]

Then long after Allah revealed the verse that bans alcohol totally.. This was long after the believers have had a long chance to observe the first verse. The first verse basically prepared them for the final verdict.

"O you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and the altars of idols, and the games of chance are abominations of the devil; you shall avoid them, that you may succeed. "
[5:90]

So; you see how easy Allah has made Islam for us?? The most important step is that which you have taken. Believe in Allah and His messenger Muhammad (pbu)... Now start your baby steps... Before you know it, you may be a scholar on your own ... and loving every minute of it... Then you'll look back at the old you that you've left behind and smile at her which you cherish the new you.

May Allah keep you and MYSELF on the right path.. Ameen.

Congratulations sister.. Welcome to Islam and to our community. :D

Salam Alaikum.

Ak

a_stranger

You are most welcome sister
Don`t worry and don`t rush things will change within yourself gradually .....Islam gives happiness in life and peace in hearts when the creature submit to the guidance of the creator.....We are struggleing since a time to be good muslems and the struggle is going on......Islam is a natural responce to all our needs spiritual, mental, emotional , physical .....It make humans (when they are sincere in following) rise step by step to very high state. I pray to Allah that he make everything easy for us all.

:SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206:

cookiedough-123

hey sister

salam alikum and welcome to the website ul find some interesting stuff here its important of what direction u are goin even thinkin about it is a good deed try reading the quran and that will make u stronger in your iman. when we become muslim we have Allah by our side so it doesnt matter but u have a family that dont belive and that must be even harder and im sorry. to give up things that we feel is important to us in the western world isnt far greater than the gift of sisterhood,brotherhood and the love we have for each other in spending this wonderful religion. i know a lot of converts who converted and they still dont know what they want so its best to see how u picture u life for GOD the creator who made you? or for people who look at u for what they though best? ur life shouldnt be for people who try to see u as they want what about u and ur feelings any friend and family should be happy for u . :tti_sister: i will pray for u inshallah we speak again

Truth91

Allahu Akbar!
Assalamu Alaykum

I am also from the UK and I have converted recently, Alhamdulilah.

My advice is to just convert and not to care what people think. I know that might sound hard but just put your faith in Allah Almighty. The only person whose judgement should really affect is is the judgement of the Almighty Allah. Don't worry about those who will mock you, they are the real losers!

Robab

daughter of Adam
Aslam o alicom

I am happy to see that Allah like u.Therefore He give u the right path to understand what is reality.This life is mortal.The actual life is Akhirah.mean the last day.so i give u the best suggestion that u read Quran and Hadith.For that purpose u join muslim community in ur area.where u can learn and easily follow islam.the second problem ur friends and parents do not worry u should to do best behave with ur parents.and do not take care ur friends also give them invitation about islam.ok :blackhijab::ma::SMILY206::shake::p

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
Sister lozlg.... Take it easy... Islam was revealed over a 23 year period and came on gradually on people that they grew with it. What I'm trying to say is that you should have realistic expectations of yourself and take it one step at a time, and things will fall into place with time... The longer you're in Islam the further your body and mind will detach from the old you and that will happen gradually and easily. Let me give you a small example:

During the time of Jahiliya (pre islam) everyone drank alcohol in Macca. It would have been very hard on people to adapt Islam and leave this old habbit behind.. But, with the wisdom of Allah, He revealed the law slowly over a long period. First Allah revealed the verse that ordered the believer to not approach prayers while they're intoxicated.

"O you who believe, do not observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) while intoxicated, so that you know what you are saying. "
[4:43]

Then long after Allah revealed the verse that bans alcohol totally.. This was long after the believers have had a long chance to observe the first verse. The first verse basically prepared them for the final verdict.

"O you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and the altars of idols, and the games of chance are abominations of the devil; you shall avoid them, that you may succeed. "
[5:90]

So; you see how easy Allah has made Islam for us?? The most important step is that which you have taken. Believe in Allah and His messenger Muhammad (pbu)... Now start your baby steps... Before you know it, you may be a scholar on your own ... and loving every minute of it... Then you'll look back at the old you that you've left behind and smile at her which you cherish the new you.

May Allah keep you and MYSELF on the right path.. Ameen.

Congratulations sister.. Welcome to Islam and to our community. :D

Salam Alaikum.

Ak

Thank you to everyone.

Bigak- I never thought of it like that before. Maybe I am rushing things and expecting too much of myself too soon.

Sask- i am in Essex, UK in the Southend area.

Kakorot

:salam2:

may Allaah guide you sister and all of us ameen and may Allaah make ur affairs easy for u ameen and for all of us ameen. xx take care sister :hijabi:

Saidsaad

Selam, welcolm to the site. There are so many people here like myself reverted to Islam. We know what you are going through & there will be more easy times than hard times inshalah.

hana*

assalamulaikum sister,

firstly congratulations in youre new belief it is the greatest decision you will ever take. i know that it is hard for you in this society as i live in the uk also. when i first wore the hijaab at the age of 11 it was the summer holidays i had all these thoughts about what will people say to me in high school, how will they react etc but it turned out to be so easy, Allah was with me alhamdulilah. i think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves and actually the shaytaan is trying to wisper to you all these negative thoughts to discourage you. i recommend that you do not tell youre family and friends just now untill you feel you are stronger and able to cope with any comments thrown at you. also im sure there are many muslims in youre area, some of which will be new to islam with which you can befriend. as for youre current friends i suggest that you try distance youreself from them, when they invite you out make an excuse. slowly you will realise that the old social life wasnt great but you have to take one step at a time. and remember Allah is always there for you 24/7 waiting for you He is ever listening.

wish you all the best

abouisra

:salam2:salam sister inchallah make it easy for you ijust wanna talk about you worring quitting drinking i just hear yesturday that a new study found that drinking increase more than 25 per cent the risk of breast cancer for women so quitting is good for your health and allah will reward you for that inchaallah so dont worry about what your friend gonna say about that and protect your life by folowing the rules of allah it will lead you to to a healthy life and happines in this life and hear after inchaalah :wasalam:

habib786

welcome to TTi......... since you belive in one God and his Prophets .. you are already muslim ..... just one step to sahada and your cross the line ... yes its always difficult to forget your past life and the good times you had .. but you also have good reasons to move ahead with you right choice which is islam ... and Allah will surely reward you, you may find difficulties on the journey to islam but they are all test for you .. May Allah make things easy for you and make your journey successful .... i just pray to Allah that your good friends see the good change in you and respect you .....rest Allah knows best ... i belive you will find a new peaceful life ahead and islam just be patient and ask Allah for help with all your problems .. inshallah Allah will show you the way ...

Allah Hafiz

ama6621

Dear sister Lolgz
Firstly all praises and thanks are due to Allah SWT who is guiding you to the right path. May you accept Islam. Ameen.

Sister, I am not a revert so I can't say that I really understand the extent of hardships that you will go through if you revert to Islam. But here's a thought (that applies to each one of us)...on the day of Judgement, no mother, father, relative or friend can bail you out. What you do in this world only will count. Think about it. and Make the right decision Insha Allah.

Assalamu Alaikum

Amir_of_spain

Southend On Sea has a excellent Mosque which is near the hospital, i recommend you go there and meet up with the sister's there, make some new muslima friends, i think there are 1-2 revert sister's there which should be good for you're situation.

They give the Friday sermon in english there and the imaam has a beautiful Quran recital voice. We welcome you here and look forward to reading more of you're post.

Amir of Spain.

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

Dear Lozgl,

Thank you for considering to follow Islam. It seems to me that your first hesitation comes from the reaction of parents. I would request you listen to the following lecture, if possible with your parents. Do you want to love and respect your parents and also be loved and respected by your children in future? Islam is the answer.

There are born Muslims, like me, who does not follow Islam. That is not the fault of Islam. Islam is beautiful.

If you listen to the lecture, please let us know your comment at this site.

http://islamactive.com/audio/talks/294

Hope I did not hurt your feeling. Forgive me if I have done so.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
wa 'alykumassalaam warehmatullahi wabarakatuhu

:salam2:
Hiii
welcome to TTI.
Masha'allah you have a really good intention barakallah feek.
Brother BigAk has given you good advice.Faith comes gradually,do not make haste.Follow the obligatory things and avoid the forbidden things first,then proceed upto next level.
There will always be opposition ,but one has to stay strong in the face of all opposition :) .I would like to paste here a verse for you which has given me courage and insha'allah will you give courage as well
Transliteration: 'Innamā Dhalikumu Ash-Shayţānu Yukhawwifu 'Awliyā'ahu Falā Takhāfūhum Wa Khāfūni 'In Kuntum Mu'uminīna

Sahih International translation: That is only Satan who frightens [you] of his supporters. So fear them not, but fear Me, if you are [indeed] believers. Qur'an(3:175)
All the best Allah be with you.
Ameen.
:wasalam: