Attributes of Allah: Ask Him (invoke when asking Allah)

acedoc

Bismillaahir-rahmaanir-raheem

"And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names..." [Qur'aan 7:180]

Here is an article about Attributes (names) of Allah with relevant ayas (verses of the Quran) where these particular attributes are mentioned. Please use them often in your supplications/invocations/duas.

http://islam.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...=1&zu=http://www.islam.org/mosque/99names.htm

The essence of Islaam is to accept no deity except Allaah. It is naturally important, then, to understand Allaah as precisely as possible within our limited abilities. This understanding is to be based only on the Qur'aan and Sunnah. Our understanding of the Lord of the universe is to be derived from no other sources beyond these two. We are not permitted to go beyond the description of Allaah contained in the Qur'aan and Sunnah, and we are also not permitted to deny anything in them concerning Him.

Allaah has given us some information regarding Himself through His names and attributes (al asmaa was sifaat). He has ordered Muslims to call upon Him using these names and attributes:

"And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names..." [Qur'aan 7:180]
He has revealed to us some of His names and attributes, however there are others that we have not been taught. This is based on the following saheeh hadeeth reported by Imaam Ahmad (translation adapted from www.islam-qa.com; see question 1392):

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'There is nobody who is afflicted with distress or grief and who says: "Allaahumma inni 'abduka wa ibn 'abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika maadin fiyya hukmuka 'adlun fiyya qadaa'uka, as'aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw 'allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw asta'tharta bihi fi 'ilmi al-ghaybi 'indaka an taj'al al-Qur'aana rabee'a qalbi wa noor sadri wa jilaa'a huzni wa dhihaaba hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your maidservant, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is ever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or which you revealed in Your Book, or which You taught to any of Your creation, or which You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Qur'aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety," - but Allaah will take away his distress and grief, and replace it with ease.' He was asked, 'O Messenger of Allaah, should we not learn it?' He said, 'Of course, whoever hears it should learn it.'
Bukhaari reports the following from the Prophet (saas):

"Inna lillaahi tis3aatu wa tis3eenu isman, mi'ata illa waahidan, man a7Saaha dakhala aljanna..."
"Allaah has ninety-nine names, 100 less one, whoever counts them shall enter Paradise..." [Saheeh Al-Bukhaari, Volume 8, Number 419]
A careful reading of this hadeeth shows that the Prophet (saas) did not mean that Allaah's names are restricted to a particular number. If the intention had been to restrict the number, then the wording would have been "Allaah's names are ninety-nine, whoever counts them shall enter Paradise...", or something similar. Therefore, the meaning of this hadeeth is that Allaah has ninety-nine names which if one counts, then one will enter Paradise. Al-Uthaimeen points out that by "counting", what is understood is memorizing the names and knowing their meanings, and ultimately worshipping Allaah accordingly.

No authentic enumeration of ninety-nine names has been reported from the Prophet (saas). The hadeeth which lists ninety-nine names (in Tirmidhi) is weak (da3eef). Shaikh-ul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah has written in his Al-Fataawa (volume 6, page 382) from the collection of Qaasim: "Its enumeration [in that hadeeth] is not from the words of the Prophet (saas), and this is the agreement of the scholars of the Prophet's ahadeeth." And before that, he writes (on page 379), "Al-Waleed narrated this hadeeth from some of his teachers from al-Shaam, as has been revealed by some of the chains of al-Waleed's ahadeeth." Ibn Hajar has said in Fath ul Bariy (volume 11, page 215, published by as-Salafiyyah), "The reason [for excluding this hadeeth] for the two shaikhs (Al-Bukhaari and Muslim) was not the lone reporting by al-Waleed only, rather it was also due to the differences in its text, the lack of consensus by the scholars on its status (id-tiraab), concealed reporters in its chains (tadlees), and probable interpolations by one or more of the reporters (idraaj)".

Since no enumeration of the names has been authenticated from the Prophet (saas), the pious predecessors (salaf) have differed on this issue, and different lists have been reported from them. Al-Uthaimeen, a modern scholar, has collected ninety-nine names from what appears in the book of Allaah Most High and the Sunnah of His Prophet (saas), and we present this list below. However, we note again that Allaah has more than ninety-nine names. Note also that Al-Uthaimeen does not claim that the ninety-nine names he chose are "the ninety-nine" which the Prophet (saas) was referring to in the hadeeth above.

In what follows, we first list some names from the book of Allaah (arranged, with the exception of "Allaah", in alphabetical order according to the English alphabet). The meanings are taken primarily from the tafseer of al-Qurtubi, with some reliance on the tafseers of ibn Katheer, at-Tabari, and al-Jalaalayn. Neither the list nor the meanings are meant to be exhaustive; only Allaah knows the complete meanings in particular. With each name, we have provided the first reference in the Qur'aan to it in its definite form ("al-..." or "the..."). If no definite form was found, then we provide the first reference to it in its indefinite form.

from: http://islam.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...t/MSA/fundamentals/tawheed/namesofallaah.html