avoiding Western hairstyles

umm hussain

Iranian police have warned barbers not to give men Western hairstyles or use make up on them.

The move is part of an unusually fierce crackdown on what is known locally as bad hijab, or un-Islamic clothing, that this year is also targeting men.

Hair stylists have been warned that they could lose their licences if they do not comply.

However, police have denied a report that they have ordered barbers not to serve customers wearing ties.

Wild

Police say that as well as avoiding Western hairstyles and make up, barbers should not pluck customers' eyebrows.

Some young boys in Iran sport very wild hair styles, using gel to make their long hair stand on end in a fashion not seen in other countries.

Meanwhile newspapers in Iran have quoted the police as saying that 16,000 women and 500 men have been cautioned in the last week over their improper clothing.

It is not clear if these figures are nationwide or only apply to the capital, Tehran.

Iranian television has said the crackdown on un-Islamic clothing has entered its second phase now where mobile police units will patrol Tehran to look for those who are not observing Islamic dress properly.

According to the local media, Tehran's public prosecutor has suggested women who violate dress rules should be exiled from the capital to remote areas of the country.

A member of the parliament's legal committee has said there is no legal impediment to doing this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6605487.stm

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
May be I'm wrong ,but I think everyone has the right to choose between good and bad.U cannot force somebody to do something.I think all this making bad image about Islam.May be its better to teach more about Islam in a good and peacefull way.Everyone is responsible for his actions.

salam

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
I actually have a question too.
is it allowed for woman to do the haircut and dye her hair also?

Daud McGuire

Say he is one
salam

May be I'm wrong ,but I think everyone has the right to choose between good and bad.U cannot force somebody to do something.I think all this making bad image about Islam.May be its better to teach more about Islam in a good and peacefull way.Everyone is responsible for his actions.

salam

I totally agree with you in an islamic point of view. We need to improve our knowledge in a whole.

But silly things from so called Islamic countries will continue to happen till they pull there socks up.

Back in my younger days I use to have my hair braided (cornrows) but I realized I was imitating "western" style. I did not think I looked Muslim, but now I think i'm going bald :SMILY309: lol

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
Islamic Hairstyles !

True, what is a wester haircut !!! There are certain Sunnah's regarding cutting of the hair, such as for example, it is recommended that men cut the hair in equal lengths and do not cut one area more than others. I do believe that people should have the right of how to wear their hair, but at the same time, muslims should educate themselves on what the preferred etiquette is, and what if anything we should avoid when making a trip to the barber shop.

:salam2:

kayleigh

How can you define Western...? I think it's OK if a barber personally doesn't see it as right and therefore would not want to personally give that haircut, and I can understand the part about not plucking eyebrows, but I think the whole thing about fining women for wearing bad hijab is ridiculous.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
I think they mean ridiculous mo-hawks. If you read the article, it describes something like that. Also, some people often shave their head, let the hair grow a little, and then shave words or image in to the hairstyle. And when you think about it...you won't really see anyone with a mo-hawk praying, I mean, you can't even put your face on the ground for sujood with the hair in the way. :wasalam:

Kurd11

IN ALLAH...WE TRUST.
This is insane! Is it just me, or does everyone else feel that they are giving Islam a bad name??? :-( When will these so called Muslims stop???

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Once again,as I said before
we cannot open somebody's heart and see what's in it...
are they muslims or so called muslims only Allah knows...
salam to all

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The choice is personal. The Prophet (swas) told us not to imitate the habits of the unbelievers. We only subject ourselves to what we want to. However, in this time of trial for Muslims this is simply an attempt at unifying ourselves. If we could have a Muslim uniform I am sure many would wear it worldwide. This is a comfort zone in a world that attacks our faith.
In a sense this is losing personal identiy for the greater good.
We have the path of our Beloved Prophet (swas) and his companions to look for answers. We are told to simply follow his sunna and ask for Allah's forgiveness.

Alisha

i think its correct not to co--py western hairstyles because it is clearly stated in the quran not to copy the non beleivers.
tho' at first even i thought tht a country cannot interfere wit n indivisuals personal style but such stringent measures r required thesedays.
better late then never......

apocalypse77

what is western hairstyle really? obviously no muslim in the first place would want to have a afro, mohawk or a punk gangsta hairdo in the first place..oh that includes bleach blonde cropped hair just like the nazis

Alisha

@ apocalypse77

ppl do have spikes , coloured hair ,bleached hair...beckhem style n what not..etc etc.

vicks

people people people, what difference does it make what kind of haircut we have or what kind of clothes we have as long we wear anything that is decent. God wont judge you on your haircuts, these are man made laws. Allah wants us to do good deeds, pray to him and lead a good life. thats all, other than that are man made laws.

Allah knows best