Azerbaijani Pilgrim Leaves for Makkah on Foot

Hajar

Staff member
Azerbaijani Pilgrim Leaves for Makkah on Foot
Friday, 08 December 2006
By Shahid Ali Khan​

RIYADH
Shahid Qurbanoo, an Azerbaijani pilgrim who arrived in Riyadh from Baku on foot last week after covering a distance of 4,200 kilometers, left for Makkah Wednesday.

He had waited at his country’s embassy in Riyadh for a week to get an extension of his Haj permit. But since he was running out of time, he left for the Holy City with an official paper from the Azerbaijani Embassy in Riyadh.

An official of the embassy said Qurbanoo’s passport would be submitted to the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs Saturday to complete the visa formalities.
“Qurbanoo will be handed over his passport on his way to Makkah once the visa formalities are completed,” he said.

The embassy has received assurance from the Saudi authorities for the extension of his visa, the official said.

Speaking through an interpreter, Qurbanoo told The Saudi Gazette that his main intention is to perform Haj on foot. “I want to perform all Haj rituals including a visit to the Prophet Mosque in Madina on foot,” he said.

Qurbanoo, 39, reached Riyadh on Nov. 30 after traveling on foot from the Azerbaijan capital to Riyadh via territories in Iran and Kuwait.

He plans to return home on foot.

“I need an extension of my visa until Jan. 15, which will enable me to fulfill my dream of performing Haj and return home on foot,” Qurbanoo said.

He said his mother wished him a comfortable journey to Makkah and back home.

A father of three, Qurbanoo said he is the first man from Azerbaijan to come on Haj on foot.

Azerbaijan, which has a population of 8.3 million, sends around 3,000 pilgrims on Haj every year.

He said he carried a backpack of 16 kilograms, which is now reduced to half of its weight when he left Kuwait.

Qurbanoo, an ex-army man was badly injured four times consecutively when fighting a war against Armenia in 1992, 1993, and twice in 1994.

He said at times his left leg, which has a splint to support the fractured shinbone ached while walking.

Just before leaving Riyadh, he said he would walk at least 15 days to cover a distance of around 1,100 kilometers from Riyadh to Makkah.

Tahar

That's extraordinary! That's how it was done in the old days: It was a journey that took months. Their faith and dedication was matchless.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam,

interesting. Dont think i would do that myself, nothing wrong with getting a bus.

Brother, in the old days most of the people went on Hajj with Caravans. No not those things you put to the back of your car (Camper van).. but horses, camels, donkeys laiden with all the provisions. It was long and dusty journey through the deserts, but there were really amazing places to stop, wash, rest and prepare yourself for the rest of the journey.

For example in Syria, there is a beautiful bath house which was made especially for the pilgrims. There 800 years ago, they had seperate bathing rooms, with running hot and cold water. Unfortunately, these sorts of places no longer exist. Except in ancient ruins.

I have some photos I took when I was there. InshaAllah, I will share them once I finish my studies and have some time.

Travel has become easier alhamdulillah. There is nothing at all wrong with having easier travel or lightening this burden of travel. Islam is easy and its not good for us to go all out to have a tough time.

At same time we do not over indulge! there is a balance.

Wasalam

brighten

seeker of knowledge
:salam2:

Jazakallah for sharing the post sis.
This story touched me. When I did my Hajj I saw thousands of pilgrims from the less affluent nations having to go on foot while we travel in the comfort of aeroplanes and airconditioned buses. They rest and spent nights on dusty roadside whilst we stayed in airconditioned tents. I was humbled by such sights as their love for Allah (swt) supersede these worldly desires. May Allah bless and reward all the pilgrims to Makkah with Jannah insha’Allah.

Labaik Allahuma Labaik

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“A poor person isn't he who has little, but he who needs a lot.”

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

I would LOVE to do HAJJ like that!

I don't find anything wrong with modern transport & so on & don't think that I am following the Sunnah by discarding modern transport or anything but just sounds like FUN!