Bani Ismail, their Status and Responsibilities

saif

Assalamu alaikum,

I am well aware, that not all arabs are Bani Ismail. Excepting Yemen, which is still very trible, the trible structures in the rest of Arabia are so mixed up, that I am inclined to consider all the rest of Arabs living in Arabia as Bani Ismail. But I am not sure about that. Brothers and sisters with more knowledge about that subject are welcomed to correct me.

The immediate reason for this thread

A brother in another thread complained, that some arabs talk about their superiority. A sister uttered her opinion, that the Prophet was sent to the arabs, because they were the most ignorant of people. I realized, that there is a general lack of understanding, that Quran places some special responsibilities on the progeny of Ibrahim. In this particular sense, they have a special status but that does not make them any superior to others. This is the same mistake, which the other branch of the progeny of Ibrahim – Bani Israel – has already done by considering themselves the chosen people on earth. This is why, I have decided to write this article.

Sources

The main ideas in the article are taken from Ustaaz Javed Ahmed Ghamidi’s book Mizan, Chapter Shariah of Preaching and sub-chapter “Preaching Obligations of Abraham’s Progeny”, although it is not a complete copy-paste, because I have done some effort to rearrange the information to make it more readable and to collect a few more references from bible as well. But some parts are directly copied from the book.

Bani Ismail and their responsibilities

Following is the first verse in Quran, which addresses Bani Israel directly:

upload_2014-9-7_23-50-26.png

O Children of Israel, remember My favor which I have bestowed upon you and fulfill My covenant [upon you] that I will fulfill your covenant [from Me], and be afraid of [only] Me. (2:40)

The verse is reminding Bani Israel of a certain covenant and asking them, if they fulfill their part of the covenant, Allah will also fulfill His part as well. What was that covenant?

While reading this verse, we usually ignore its direct relevance with Bani Ismail. Because, the covenant, which Quran is mentioning here is the Covenant with Ibrahim. If, according to Quran, it was still valid for Bani Israel, it is certainly also valid for Bani Ismail, which is the other branch of the progeny of Ibrahim. Here is, what we find about that covenant of Ibrahim in Quran and Bible.

upload_2014-9-7_23-50-49.png

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [ Allah ] said, "Indeed, I will make you a leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [ Allah ] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers." (2:124)

That means, if the progeny of Ibrahim is not among wrong doers and they become a living example of the deen on Allah, Allah will make them the leaders of the people of earth. But if they transgress, they will be punished in this world and in hereafter.

You may ask, if this was not generally the case, also with other nations of the world. That means, for example, if Turks become a living example of deen of Allah, will they not get the leadership of the world? The answer is, not necessarily. Acting upon deen always ensures the formation of a healthy society. But for all “other” nations, Allah has His own system of testing the nations by giving one nation the power over the others. This is not the same for the progeny of Ibrahim. There is a much more direct connection between their condition of deen as a whole and their political and economic strength in the world.

The same is reflected in the following verse of Bible:

Now therefore, If ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:”(Exodus;19:5).

For Bani Israel these verses have lead them to believe, they were the “Chosen people of God”. However, like the above Quranic verse, which conditions the “leadership of the nations” with the obedience of Allah, Bible also confirms it in the following verses:

“And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish. As the nations which the LORD destroyed before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the LORD your God.”(Deuteronomy;8:19-20).

If also after these things you do not obey Me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins. I will also break down your pride of power; I will also make your sky like iron and your earth like bronze. Your strength will be spent uselessly, for your land will not yield its produce and the trees of the land will not yield their fruit. (Leviticus 26: 18-20)

Now the question is, what are the added responsibilities with this covenant. Here are a few verses from Quran, which make it clear without any doubt, that the added responsibilities are those of Da’wah. Bani Israel had the responsibilities of Da’wah, which they did not fulfill, according to the following testimony from Quran:

upload_2014-9-7_23-51-26.png

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Allah took a covenant from those who were given the Scripture, [saying], "You must make it clear to the people and not conceal it." But they threw it away behind their backs and exchanged it for a small price. And wretched is that which they purchased (3:187)

Bani Ismail also have an added responsibility of Da’wah and that of Shahadah ala nNaas. If they will do their duty, Allah will fulfill His promise to them.

upload_2014-9-7_23-52-9.png

And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. [It is] the religion of your father, Abraham. Allah named you "Muslims" before [in former scriptures] and in this [revelation] that the Messenger may be a witness over you and you may be witnesses over the people. So establish prayer and give zakah and hold fast to Allah . He is your protector; and excellent is the protector, and excellent is the helper. (22:78)

Note, I have hilighted the part, which makes it clear, that the verse it actually meant for the progeny of Ibrahim.

It needs to be kept in consideration that this shahadah is not mere preaching and propagation: it results in a miniature Day of Judgement on this earth. The history of this shahadah mentioned in the Qur’an and in other divine scriptures is that the first manifestation of this Judgement took place in the time of Noah (sws). After that, the Almighty, at various intervals, sent His rusul and their shahadah also resulted in a worldly Judgement of their peoples. This process continued till Abraham (sws) was sent. The Almighty then decided that this position of shahadah would also be bestowed upon his progeny in their collective capacity, and through them religion would become an established and irrefutable fact before all the peoples of the world to the extent that they are left with no excuse to reject it. The account of this worldly Judgement is mentioned in detail in the Qur’an and in the Bible.

For this very reason, the Almighty has regarded the Bani Ismail as the “Ummati Wasat” (the intermediate community) on one side of which is God and His Prophet and on the other side of which are “Annaas” (all the people of the world), and just as Muhammad (sws) has borne witness to the truth before the Bani Ismail, the Bani Ismail have to bear witness to the truth before the rest of the world:

Conclusion

The covenant of Allah with Ibrahim and his progeny is still valid. If Bani Ismail do their duty of Shahadah ala nNaas, Allah has promised them to make the leader of the nations. But if they will transgress, they will be punished in this world and in herafter.

Bani Israel are a nation, which is under the wrath of Allah (maghdhoobi alayhim). Bani Ismail should not repeat the same mistakes of Bani Israel to save themselves from the wrath of Allah.

Allah has chosen Bani Ismail for Shahadah ala nNaas. It is wrong to think, that the last Messenger was sent to them because they were the most ignorant of people. Some muslim historians have also done their part to create this impression. But if you put it in the quranic context and the plan of Allah with the progeny of Ibrahim, you will understand, that there must have been some qualities in their character, for which they were chosen by Allah to carry the “last message” to the rest of the world.

Now a few words for my arab brothers and sisters

According to Quran, it is your foremost duty to convey the message of Allah to all nations of the world. The power will be a natural consequence of that. At least for you. I being a non-arab cannot claim that for myself. Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you should not be too worried to establish your political power over other nations.

I have seen no other nation, which is so successful in their da’wah, as you are. And this is even true in the worst of times now. This is, what you should be doing. Your forefathers could turn the wheel of the history by winning the hearts of the Turks for Islam. Even though your own Khilafah ended, the flag of Islam remained winner because of your da’wah. You can still do wonders like that. But for that, you must become a true Da’i of Islam. Also, remember the words of the Prophet (saw) in the sermon of his last Hajj, according to which no Arab is superior to an Ajmi and no “red” is superior to a black.

Wassalamu alaikum

Last edited:

Abu Juwairiya

A few other verses from the Bible can be added to verify the above points. They include-

"And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation." (Source: Genesis 17:20)

While there were several communities that emerged from Ismail (AS), the prize for the greatest of them all is the one that resulted in Muhammad Ibn Abdullah.

It continues-

"Revelation from the direction of the land of the Arabs in rugged terrain." (Source: Isaiah 21)

But perhaps the permanent expulsion and spiritual exclusion of most favoured nation status is spelled out in the following for both the Jews and the Christians combined-

"I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.

But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Source: 'Matthew' 8:11)

The above prophecy refers to one community, not several, as the ones who will be awarded the prestigious seats of acceptance into the Kingdom of Heaven. They will however, appear from several directions, but belong to one and the same group.

Their conviction and fulfilment of the spiritual responsibility is rewarded with the keys to the Kingdom as the new heirs to the nations of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

While a new order [Islam] and constitution [Shariah] is enshrined into law as the spiritual custodians of the Divine Mission to the human race and welcomed into the Kingdom of God, the former titleholders, the Jews and the Christians, are asked to leave and replaced.

Their social and political identity is permanently removed as the 'chosen ones' and with their eternal exile, it can be accurately said, 'the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
This is certainly interesting but is it true? I don't know. So if my understanding is correct, you are saying that leadership belongs only to Arabs(those who are following Islam correctly of course)?

Abu Juwairiya

This is certainly interesting but is it true? I don't know. So if my understanding is correct, you are saying that leadership belongs only to Arabs(those who are following Islam correctly of course)?

Assalammu Alaikum Dear Sister, the opinions expressed are not my own, only the words are. I summarised the statements and comments of others who have written about the subject in detail. The authors are Muslim, but the content matter has been linguistic and related to geographical and socio-political history.

Among the authors who have spoken about the above topic have been Ustaaz Javed Ahmed Ghamidi and Al-Abb 'Abdul-Abad Dawood among the most prominent.

Abu Juwairiya

I wanted to enclose a book by Professor Abdul Ahad Dawud where he speaks at length about linguistic terminology as well as etymology in relation to Islam and prophecy. However, the file is too large and so I cannot attach it here. If anyone is interested, send me a private message and I will despatch it to you.

Professor Dawud has since passed away. He was a Non European former Christian priest in the Uniate Chaldean sect and embraced Islam over a hundred years ago.