Bayan or Khutba? What's the difference?

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I am getting ready to take a short trip to Atlanta this coming weekend (the 4th through the 7th, inshallah), and I was looking up Khutbah times for the various masajid in the area.

One has listed "1st Adhan & Bayan, 1:45 PM. 2nd Adhan & Khutba, 2:15 PM".

Mind you I've only been to the khutbahs held at the masjid I took shahadah in for the past year since I've been Muslim but I just assumed they're all done the same. So my question here is what is the difference between a "bayan" and a "khutba"? At Masjid Annur where I've gone almost every Friday since Dec 2008 the "khutba" is the sermon given from the minbar.

Thanks for your time, jazakAllah Khairn

D.

DanyalSAC

I don't know what they mean by Bayan, or why they have two times. But Bayan is an Arabic word that means explanation or expression.

You are right; the Khutba is the sermon and it is delivered immediately after the Adhaan. 2:45 looks too late to start delivering the Friday sermon. In fact, 1:45 is late too.

Either call them and ask or find another mosque.

Thank you.

My guess is that "bayan" is the khutbah but being given in English, maybe they consider it the "explanation" of the khutbah. But I've chosen your second suggestion - another masjid. This one however also has it late, at 1:40 PM.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Thank you.

My guess is that "bayan" is the khutbah but being given in English, maybe they consider it the "explanation" of the khutbah. But I've chosen your second suggestion - another masjid. This one however also has it late, at 1:40 PM.

I thought the same I think both Bayan & Khutba means same.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullah

Oh boy, this is an act which is practiced in most of the Masaajid in the subcontinental areas that I've come across.

The difference stems basically off the opinion of some scholars, that the Jumu'ah khutbah is only in Arabic. The below is a short excerpt which may clear up the reasoning for it a little...

Some of the scholars said that it is not permitted to translate the khutbah given from the minbar on Friday and the two Eids into foreign (non-Arabic) languages. Their intention (may Allaah have mercy on them) was to maintain and preserve the Arabic language, and to follow the way of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions (may Allaah be pleased with them), which was to give the khutbah in Arabic in the lands of the Persians and others, and to encourage the people to learn Arabic and pay attention to it

Thus, a system was then established by some to have a "Bayan" followed by a "Khutbah". The Bayan is given in the local language, be it English, Bangla, Urdu etc ... and the Khutbah is only in Arabic. Thereby it is taken to be fulfilling what is taken the condition of having Arabic as well as what the people can understand. Those who establish this practice take the former (Bayan) portion as the reminding/teaching of the people, and the latter (Khutbah) as a form of Dhikr.

Personally though, and as I've read from other scholars, this should not ideally be done. That the khutbah be given solely in Arabic which is Mustahabb, but if the language is not understood by the majority of the people, then it can be in the language of the locals, or a mixture of both Arabic and the translation following it immediately. However, separating the portions has not been approved.

And as I mentioned, on a personal level - I've actually been to a few such places that practiced this, and although I do understand bits and pieces of Arabic, on the whole a lot of the concept was lost upon me -- and it also becomes a source of distraction! I could see people fidgeting, kind of looking around... I mean to those who do not understand at all, it is a very difficult position to be in! Furthermore, some people would show up only for the Arabic portion since this was only the khutbah, understand nothing - pray and rush off.

But regardless, these are my personal words, here's a fatwa which shows clearly the different opinions regarding this matter, and the questioner addresses the very type of khutbah you'll probably end up attending - in that the English will be split from the Arabic

Friday Khutbah in languages other than Arabic

May make your journey beneficial and keep you under His protection and AllaahMercy. Ameen

waslam

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullah

Oh boy, this is an act which is practiced in most of the Masaajid in the subcontinental areas that I've come across.

The difference stems basically off the opinion of some scholars, that the Jumu'ah khutbah is only in Arabic. The below is a short excerpt which may clear up the reasoning for it a little...

Thus, a system was then established by some to have a "Bayan" followed by a "Khutbah". The Bayan is given in the local language, be it English, Bangla, Urdu etc ... and the Khutbah is only in Arabic. Thereby it is taken to be fulfilling what is taken the condition of having Arabic as well as what the people can understand. Those who establish this practice take the former (Bayan) portion as the reminding/teaching of the people, and the latter (Khutbah) as a form of Dhikr.

Personally though, and as I've read from other scholars, this should not ideally be done. That the khutbah be given solely in Arabic which is Mustahabb, but if the language is not understood by the majority of the people, then it can be in the language of the locals, or a mixture of both Arabic and the translation following it immediately. However, separating the portions has not been approved.

And as I mentioned, on a personal level - I've actually been to a few such places that practiced this, and although I do understand bits and pieces of Arabic, on the whole a lot of the concept was lost upon me -- and it also becomes a source of distraction! I could see people fidgeting, kind of looking around... I mean to those who do not understand at all, it is a very difficult position to be in! Furthermore, some people would show up only for the Arabic portion since this was only the khutbah, understand nothing - pray and rush off.

But regardless, these are my personal words, here's a fatwa which shows clearly the different opinions regarding this matter, and the questioner addresses the very type of khutbah you'll probably end up attending - in that the English will be split from the Arabic

Friday Khutbah in languages other than Arabic

May make your journey beneficial and keep you under His protection and AllaahMercy. Ameen

waslam

Salaamu 'alaikkum, most of the hanafi masaajid do this here in London. And it is exactly like how the sister said. They do the adhaan, then do a "talk" in english or in their own language like urdu, bengali etc. then after that the adhaan is called out, and then the khutbah is done in arabic (a quick one) then the salaah. As far as I remember this is a bid'ah( to have have a bayaan and that etc.), if there is any other masjid nearby, try going for it, or else, might as well stick to this one. Personally I would just go in for the second adhaan and sit down for the khutbaah, WAllaahu a'lam, but perhaps someone more knowledgable can advise you on what to do.

ximkoyra

I think I agree with you. I understand why it's done, but I don't really think it's a good idea.

It was a while ago, but I remember going to a masjid where the imam literally just read off a piece of paper he had and didn't really look like that even he understood what he was reading. It was a really weird and uncomfortable experience.

Abu Ameerah

Bayan and Khutbah

Assalamo Alaikom. Sermon during Friday and during Eids are normally called 'Khutbah' while any other sermon can be called Bayan. I was surprised to know that Khutbah during Friday in Western countries are only using Arabic Language, while here in Saudi Arabia, they are allowed to use English for Khutbah. The Masjid in Islamic Foundation near my residence is using English for Friday Khutbah for us non-Arabic Speaking to understand the Sermon. In the Philippines, almost all the Masjids are using local dialect for the Khutbah, i.e. Tagalog, English, Maranao, Tausog and etc.... Is there any proof from the Sayings of the Prophet (SAW) that Arabic is the only language allowed for Khutbah during Friday and Eids?