BBC: White Men Converting to Islam

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Why is the West so obsessed with race?
There are thousands of White born Muslims...from countries like Albania, Uzbekistan, etc.

Almaas

There are thousands of White born Muslims...from countries like Albania, Uzbekistan, etc.

My thoughts exactly. It's really annoying, they make it out as if white reverts are a different breed of Muslims. The emphasis could possibly be an attempt to provoke division? Or maybe they really are wierdly fascinated by it all.

DanyalSAC

A couple months ago I went to a huge Asian store near my home to look at their fresh fish. I had my white cap on and of course my full lehya. The man from behind the counter had come around to show me some of the fish on display. He took a good look at me and said "What are you, a Muslim or something?" When I replied in the affirmative, he said "Wow imagine that...a white Muslim". So in a religion that the world sees as a People of Color Only Playground and whites are made to feel like we're crashing someone else's picnic, having a reminder that we are included is a welcome feeling.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
It comes down to race. It just goes to show you that some people still harbor racist feelings.

I wouldnt call it racism. But incorrectly stereotyping.
Example, I come from a white, American family. My mother promptly told me, "They will never accept you because you're white"

They = Muslims

She's not racist, she is open to all races. BUT she grew up associating Islam with Arabs and Asians from the sub continent. And white Muslims are something a lot of Westerners are still trying to get their head around.

msmoorad

mommys boy
My thoughts exactly. It's really annoying, they make it out as if white reverts are a different breed of Muslims. The emphasis could possibly be an attempt to provoke division? Or maybe they really are wierdly fascinated by it all.

salaams to all

i think its because the white race has a superiority complex about themselves.
they see all religions other than the one which they have adopted for themselves(Christianity) as also being inferior.
they also seem to think that their culture etc is superior & see everthing else as an interersting pastime.
of course, all of them are not this way but it applies to the majority of them.
thats why they are still fascinated when another white person accepts islam.
they try to look for "reasons" like he was poor, sick, homeless etc therefore he/she accepted islam.

it still baffles them why an intelligent, sane, financially independent white person would ever choose islam.
this is all just my opinion, i could be wrong.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Perseveranze

It's sad what that guy said, that as a revert he got abuse from his own Muslim brothers. Makes me upset to hear one of the fundemental teachings of Islam is abused like that.

DanyalSAC

salaams to all

i think its because the white race has a superiority complex about themselves.
they see all religions other than the one which they have adopted for themselves(Christianity) as also being inferior.
they also seem to think that their culture etc is superior & see everthing else as an interersting pastime.
of course, all of them are not this way but it applies to the majority of them.
thats why they are still fascinated when another white person accepts islam.
they try to look for "reasons" like he was poor, sick, homeless etc therefore he/she accepted islam.

it still baffles them why an intelligent, sane, financially independent white person would ever choose islam.
this is all just my opinion, i could be wrong.

jazakallah

I can equally point a finger at any other race here, but I tried to avoid it. Its not white Muslims that I get snubbed by.

msmoorad

mommys boy
I can equally point a finger at any other race here, but I tried to avoid it. Its not white Muslims that I get snubbed by.

salaams to all

i understand your plight but here were talking about non muslim white people & how they view other whites who accept islam.
im not saying these whites snub you but they view you with curiosity.
same with some muslims- esp the older generations.
although they know full well that islam is not a club open only to born muslims or those from muslim countries, they dont know how to deal with you.
what to say etc.
they are too insular. you do get those who are involved with the TJ(Tablighi Jamaat) the brothers who go around visiting muslim homes in the area and who encourage you to join them for 3, 10, 40 days upto 4 months.
these guys are much more used to dealing/interacting with people of all races & backgrounds.

jazakallah

msmoorad

mommys boy
I wouldnt call it racism. But incorrectly stereotyping.
Example, I come from a white, American family. My mother promptly told me, "They will never accept you because you're white"

They = Muslims

She's not racist, she is open to all races. BUT she grew up associating Islam with Arabs and Asians from the sub continent. And white Muslims are something a lot of Westerners are still trying to get their head around.

salaams to all
LOL!
i can understand your mothers fears.
bro Danyal seems to having some difficulty as well.

just hang in there!
dont worry about those who dont accept you.
another reason is that born muslims are sometimes used to hearing that whites hate Islam/muslims and youre "the enemy"
the evil white man who is responsible for most of the problems in the world.
now, you have accepted islam- so they find it hard to let go of their reservations about white people and still view u with suspicion, some with contempt etc.

just be polite & respectful to everyone & make lots of duaah for them.
it may be hard to do but what other option is there?
you can approach the imam etc if theres something specific u have been hurt or insulted by.
ask him to address the issue.

jazakallah

aisha16

That actually makes a lot of sense...the whole division thing. I think a lot of Non-Muslims either see Islam as an Arab/Pakistani religion or a Black (Nation of Islam) religion..either way it's not the case.. Most Muslims in the world are Indonesian if you want to bring it down to race...But anyways interesting discussion...

abu'muhammad

Assalamu alaykum,

Some replies drew my attention.. smiles. InshaAllaah people won't be surprised or perplexed to see the white reverts. Some do not realise that muslims are residing in every small country/place, even in their own, and All praise be to Allaah Who puts His words in the hearts of the people. I see few or rare white reverts at my place but see many as when in Mumbai. Most of them having beards, wearing thobes, more appealiing as arabs, women to be too as such as arabs. To be honest there they look awesomely great as such - smiles. All praise be to Allaah. May be the muslims living in west can answer more better on this - smiles.
and Allaah knows best. was-salaam

Golden_Green

A couple months ago I went to a huge Asian store near my home to look at their fresh fish. I had my white cap on and of course my full lehya. The man from behind the counter had come around to show me some of the fish on display. He took a good look at me and said "What are you, a Muslim or something?" When I replied in the affirmative, he said "Wow imagine that...a white Muslim". So in a religion that the world sees as a People of Color Only Playground and whites are made to feel like we're crashing someone else's picnic, having a reminder that we are included is a welcome feeling.

i think this post says it all. the world sees Islam as a religion dominated by 'People of Colour'! notice its not just the white non-muslims that have this complex, it’s also muslim communities. I am guilty as charged. I guess a white revert is easier to spot than an asian revert or a black revert. curious by nature -- so when i see a white sister, my mind starts wondering, whats her nationality, did she revert or was she born muslim, how long she been muslim ect. Allah created us into nations and tribes so we can recognise one another... there is nothing wrong with acknowledging ethnicity and colour. so long as we dont use it to discriminate.
western non-muslims may see strangeness, due to their personal prejudice against islam, that white men and women are embracing a demonized religion. But i find no excuses for muslims who discriminate against reverts. islam teaches us not to be suspicious --suspicion is from shaytaan.

UmmIsaiah

Assalamu alaikum

From my experiances when dealing with western people that are suprised or have a problem with whites being muslim they do not consider these people as "pure" white. If you come from a muslim country and are white they tend to look at you differently that if you come from a western country.
As for the issue of muslims discriminating its sad comom and not only toward whites. I have found that for women things are slightly different. white women reverts especialy are looked at as a rare comdaty even to the extent that I have heard brothers say many times they will only marry a white woman or if I dont find a white woman the first time I will take more than one wife but if my first wife is white then she will be enough as if women of color are not good enough to be an only wife. Now please do not get me wrong I have nothing against multiple wives in fact I would prefer to marry a man that wants at least 2 but I do have a problem with brothers making women of color feel as thought they are less than their white sisters. as for the brothers I do not have first hand knowledge of how things are but from the few things I have been told about or seen happen white men are looked at as either wannabies or invaders.
But again all the things I have said are from my own experiances and my own take on situations that I have been exposed to growning up in the usa.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother Danyl...this is just to make you smile..as usual I am giving away my age...you ain't heavy..you is my brother!!

Now...folks..somethings never change. Lets call a spade a spade. There is a post today reminding us of the Prophet's Last Sermon. He warns us not to be stupid about race. And what do we do. We get stupid.

These are examples to make you laugh.

A Tunisian brother told me he thought I was Arab until he realized the neighborhood we were in was too poor for Arabs.

A Pakistani sister asked me if I was from Palestine...I was with my mother who was in full Pakistani garb..my mother was speaking Urdu to this sister.

While paying respects to a family at the demise of a relative, an American White revert asked me how I became Muslim...I pointed to my mother...the young woman saw no resemblance...this was a Pakistani family known to my parents for fifty years.

The only ones who get it right are the non-Muslim Americans...they simply say..you are a Mooslim sister...and I smile.

Perseveranze

From what I see (in the UK atleast), reverts tend to practice Islam better then born muslims. I have no idea why this is the case.