Beard for Muslim men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somair

As-salaam-o-alaikum everyone,

I was looking at the status of the beard in Islam, and it seems pretty clear to me now that the beard is mandatory in Islam for males. All the schools of thought agree that the beard is wajib, and that a correct shariah beard is to be at least a fist length.

So I guess the beard for the male is like the hijab for the female. I've started growing a beard, but I don't know if I can do a fist length quite yet, Insha'Allah I will eventually grow to that length.

walaikum-as-salaam

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
assalamou alaykoum wa rahmatoullah

salam brother,
yes all the schools agree with the fact that beard is wajib for men, but a lot of young people dont caré about it and say it´s not wajib eventhough :astag: .
barakallaho fika wa jazakallaho khayr.
salam

muslim

The Beard according to the Great Imams of Jurisprudence

Assalamualaikum Brothers,

you are right it is obligatory for every muslim man to grow beard (More than fist length). To those who feel the issue is trivial to worry about, may ALLAH guide him.

http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard.html

The Beard according to the Great Imams of Jurisprudence

Hanafi

Imam Muhammed (R.A.) writes in his book "Kitabul Aathaar" where he relates from Imam Abu Hanifa (R.A.) who relates from Hadhrat Haytham (R.A.) who relates from Ibn Umar (R.A.) that he (Ibn Umar) used to hold his beard in his hand and cut off which was longer. Imam Muhammed (R.A.) says that this is what we follow and this was the decision of Imam Abu Hanifa. Therefore, according to Hanafies, to shorten the beard less than a FIST LENGTH is HARAAM and on this is IJMA (concensus of opinion).

Shafi'i
Imam Shafi (R.A.) in his Kitabul Umm states, "To shave the beard is HARAAM." (Shari Minhaj dar Shara Fasl Aqueeqa).

Maaliki

Shekh Ahmad Nafarawi Maliki in the commentary of Imam Abu Zayed's booklet states, "to shave the beard is without doubt haraam according to all Imams." It is also mention in "Tamheed" which is a commentary of "Muatta" (Sunnan Imam Malik (R.A.)) that to shave the beard is HARAAM and among males the only ones to resort to this practice (of shaving) are the HERMAPHRODITES (persons who possess both male and female features and characteristics).

Hanbali

The Hanbalies in the famous Al-Khanie'a Hanbali Fatawa Kitab state that "to grow the beard is essential and to shave it is HARAAM." Also in the Hanbali Mathab books "Sharahul Muntahaa" and "Sharr Manzoomatul Aadaab", it is stated "The most accepted view is that it is HARAAM (prohibited to shave the beard)."

Also note, according to scholars of Islam: "To shave off the beard is unlawful (haraam) and one who shaves his beard is legally speaking an unrighteous fellow (FASIQ); hence, it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to appoint such a man as an Imam. To say Taraweeh behind such an Imam is MAKRUH-E-TAHRIMI (near prohibition)" (Shami Vol.1, p.523)

The Durre-Mukhtar states: "No one has called it permissible to trim it (the beard) less than FIST-LENGTH as is being done by some westernized Muslims and hermaphrodites." (Vol. 2, p. 155). Also, "It is forbidden (haraam) for a man to cut off another's beard." (Vol. 5, p. 359).

Somair

from what I understand the Qur'an doesn't specifically address the beard but it says for the believers to obey the messenger, and since the prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) ordered the Muslims to keep the beard it is obligatory on us to do so.

But one thing I couldn't find the answer to was if we are allowed to shape the beard. For example bringing the curve of the beard a little bit lower on the cheek in trying to connect the beard to look as one whole thing since I do have some empty spots where hair doesn't grow, mostly closer to the side of the lips.

Emelianenko

Somair said:
from what I understand the Qur'an doesn't specifically address the beard but it says for the believers to obey the messenger, and since the prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) ordered the Muslims to keep the beard it is obligatory on us to do so.

But one thing I couldn't find the answer to was if we are allowed to shape the beard. For example bringing the curve of the beard a little bit lower on the cheek in trying to connect the beard to look as one whole thing since I do have some empty spots where hair doesn't grow, mostly closer to the side of the lips.
If for some bros the hair does grow on cheeks u can remove that, but must not go below ur jaw line.

what should i do

Dear brohters and sisters
Asalamalaku
I have a ? about the manditory for all muslims part, Am I commiting a sin then if my job requires me to be clean shaven every day, and I am with this job for 12 years and am locked into a contract and can not quit my job for at least another 10 years?? What can I do.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
salam alaykum......

our brother & sister in Allah....

=================

Shaving and cutting the beard is haraam and is an obvious evil,

and letting it grow is obligatory, as you know. Obedience to the Creator takes precedence over obedience to any created being, even the closest of relatives. There can be no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience to the Creator,
You must be steadfast in your adherence to the truth, and continue to let your beard grow in obedience to Allaah and in order to earn His pleasure, even if His creatures are angry. You must also avoid the sources of trouble, and put your trust in Allaah, hoping that He will provide a way out for you. Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings): “… And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine.

And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allaah has set a measure for all things”
[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

and, “…and whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him. That is the Command of Allaah, which He has sent down to you, and whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will remit his sins from him and will enlarge his reward.” [al-Talaaq 65:5].

and.......

IIn al-Saheehayn it is narrated from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Cut the moustache and let the beard grow; be different from the mushrikeen.”

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari it is narrated that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Cut the moustache and leave the beard alone; be different from the mushrikeen.” And in Saheeh Muslim it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Trim the moustache and let the beard grow; be different from the Magians (Zoroastrians).” It is obligatory upon every Muslim man to obey the command of Allaah to leave his beard alone and let it grow, and to cut and trim the moustache. The Muslim should not be deceived by the large numbers of people who go against this Sunnah and openly disobey their Lord.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The beard (al-lahyah) is that which grows on the cheeks and chin, as was explained by the author of al-Qaamoos. It is obligatory to leave the hair that grows on the cheeks and chin, and not to shave it or cut it.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

The definition of the beard (al-lahyah) as stated by the scholars of the (Arabic) language is the hair of the face, jawbone and cheeks, in the sense that everything that grows on the cheeks, jawbone and chin is part of the beard. Removing any part of it also comes under the heading of sin, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Leave the beard alone” and “Let the beard grow.” This indicates that it is not permissible to remove any part of it, but the sin varies in degree; shaving is more serious than removing a part of it because it is a more extreme action and the one who shaves it more clearly goes against the command than the one who trims it.

=============

at the end.....i wanna say that......

Bread is symblos of Allah...and we deface the ( fair) nature of created by Allah when we shaving the beard

Such (is his state): and whoever holds in honour the Symbols of Allah, (in the sacrifice of animals), such (honour) should come truly from piety of heart. (22:32)

"I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires; I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the (fair) nature created by Allah." Whoever, forsaking Allah, takes Satan for a friend, hath of a surety suffered a loss that is manifest (4:119)

Is there any recommended length of the beard?

Cutting more than a “handful” of the beard

the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it

Advice to an imaam who shaves his beard

also...... i wanna say that......

trimming the moustache is part of the fitrah, because the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The fitrah is five things: circumcision, removing the pubic hair, trimming the moustache, cutting the nails, and plucking the armpit hairs.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

According to another hadeeth, ten things are part of the fitrah, including trimming the moustache . Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set a time limit for us to cut our moustaches, cut our nails, pluck our armpit hairs and shave our pubic hairs: we were not to leave it any longer than forty days.” (Reported by Ahmad, Muslim and al-Nisaa’i; this version narrated by Ahmad).

======================
finaly ......i wanna say......

So set thou thy face steadily and truly to the Faith: (establish) Allah's handiwork according to the pattern on which He has made mankind: no change (let there be) in the work (wrought) by Allah: that is the standard Religion: but most among mankind understand not (30:30)

and.................

He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah; but if any turn away, We have not sent thee to watch over their (evil deeds). (4:80)
==================

Mohammed.....

<wasalam alaykum>

muslim

abdullah.mujihid said:
Asalamalaku
I have a ? about the manditory for all muslims part, Am I commiting a sin then if my job requires me to be clean shaven every day, and I am with this job for 12 years and am locked into a contract and can not quit my job for at least another 10 years?? What can I do.

Assalamualaikum dear Brother Abdullah Mujihid,

All praise be to ALLAH and ALLAH knows best.

As Shaving and cutting the beard is haraam I would suggest you not to do it please even if you loose your job may be ALLAH has something more good for you with lot of blessings in it. please do not sacrifice your Akhirah (hereafter) for this worldly benefits and may ALLAH help you and guide you my dear brother.

Let those(believers) who sell the life of this world for the hereafter fight in the cause of ALLAH, and whoso fights in the casue of ALLAH, and is killed or get victory, we shall bestow on him a great reward [Quran 4:74]

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Asalamalaku

insha` Allah....u 'll find the answer here...

His boss gave him the choice between reducing his beard or leaving the job

Should he shave his beard for the sake of work ?

finaly..... i wanna say to u that......

Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):

“… And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine.
And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed, Allaah has set a measure for all things”
[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

and, “…and whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him. That is the Command of Allaah, which He has sent down to you, and whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will remit his sins from him and will enlarge his reward.” [al-Talaaq 65:5]

Mohammed......

<wasalam alaykum>

38khadj

:salam2:
I have a ? about the manditory for all muslims part, Am I commiting a sin then if my job requires me to be clean shaven every day, and I am with this job for 12 years and am locked into a contract and can not quit my job for at least another 10 years?? What can I do.[/QUOTE]

Pleasing Allah is far more greater than pleasing your bosses, Allah is the one that sustaines you and by Allah(s.w.t) will Inshallah he will have something better for you if it comes that they sack you. This is a test for you Put your trust in The Creater and Inshallah you will be rewarded sufficently.

May Allah guide us all Inshallah.
:wasalam:

Karima

Asalamualikum

Am I commiting a sin then if my job requires me to be clean shaven every day, and I am with this job for 12 years and am locked into a contract and can not quit my job for at least another 10 years??

First of all, Alhamdulillah for your job!!!....when there are so many looking for work, and you have another 10 years with them!

I would suggest that you begin talking with your boss and explain to him/her how much you wish to please Allah/God in your work there. Also explain that growing facial hairs would be something you would like to do, as long as it is clean and groomed. Explain that this would not take anything away from your work efforts. Perhaps, Allah can bring those he chooses to him, through your example at work, even with a beard.

You have invested your time there, I would not give up and quit. Instead, I would see if Allah can 'open doors' for others there, by your example. Nothing is impossible for Allah.

Ask Allah for guidance in this, and how you can use the right words to explain the desires of your heart to be able to please Allah, while at work, as you have been doing all along!

Sallam

SoA

:salam2:

I have talked with a lot of people in Azhar about this matter , in conclusion its not forbidden its just not most7ab(Not prefred) it depends on the times , and the traditions of the society.

Their should be an edit button by the way. I think Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) didn't "forbid" shaving , neither did the Holy Quran .

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Karima

Asalamualikum,

There is an edit button...down to the bottom right of your post. It takes a little time to learn on this.....great to have you in the web site!

Sallam

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
salam alaykum....

wellcome my brother...

<1st> i was gradulated and still study higher studies in Azhar....

<2nd> if u cann't reading the Evidence in English... i'll put in Arabic to understand it....

i think u didn't understand english well....

(just pm me ...insha` Allah....i'll open the topic agian and putting arabic links }

<3rd > any way ...don't Repeat ur replies agian....i merge ur posts in one post....

due to it's the same issue......

we don't need that....

if u wanna put ur view u must respect the evidence from Quran and sunnah....

any way i feel bad from ur post....due to u didn't read the Previous relpies.....

Mohammed.....
<wasalam alaykum>

Status
Not open for further replies.