Best Muslim countries around the world

arzafar

What are some of the best muslim countries (muslim majority) to live in?
criteria:
1) Islamic life style
2) Employment
3) Standard of Living
4) Health & Education
5) People

so what do you know or have experienced?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
criteria:
1) Islamic life style
2) Employment
3) Standard of Living
4) Health & Education
5) People

:salam2:

I have spent my entire childhood in the UAE, so I can attest that it is a fantastic place to reside. Mind you, I wasn't living in the metropolitan city Dubai.

For me, criteria 1 & 3 are more important than others. The standard of living is really good Alhamdulillah in UAE. I think they pay among the highest among the gulf countries and some people claim that you can save more money if you are actually working in a govt department compared to working in the west. So that's a big plus.

If one chooses to practice Islam, Alhamdulillah he can do without many barriers or constrictions. However, I feel that there are less opportunities for non-Arabic speakers to learn sciences of the deen or have weekly halaqas. I have only recently found out about classes in English that take place in sharjah by a reputable student of Sh. Rabee ibn Madkhalee Hafidullah, which is a good 200 km away.

It is definitely no match for the opportunities present in say Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for non-arab muslims to learn about their deen (Jeddah Dawah Centre).

The people are kind hearted and charitable. And one must not expect them to be 'perfect muslims' or else he/she will be disappointed. There are negative reports heard all the time, but one has to also not overlook the good they have in general.

Schooling is a bit expensive but you have a wide variety of schools to choose from. There are schools following the syllabus of almost all education boards across the globe, so you can choose whichever suits your ward best. Universities and colleges aren't upto the mark though (or that's what i feel personally).

About employment, being a fresh graduate without work experience is going to hurt chances a lot. On the same note, a good 3-4 years experience in the west is going to increase one's chances significantly.

And you missed out a really important criterion 'eating out/food'. The arabic food is irresistibly good especially the grilled meats.. mouthwatering stuff..
Plus, I personally feel that fast food is of a lot higher quality than in the west. Pizza hut and Americana chicken Tikka are not to be missed. (you need to note that down, seriously). And I could go on..

On a serious note, I don't think it gets better than living in Saudi Arabia close to Makkah.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Abu Talib

Feeling low

I say Saudi Arabia though Education & People might be problem for some. But I can bear anything to live near or in the two holy cities.

Kuwait & Qatar have also become a good destination but with less islamic lifestyle.

arzafar

ok keep em coming.

regarding food, nothing beats Pakistani food streets. kilometer long streets with fresh food and drink on either side.

the problem is mid east countries is that dont give full citizen rights and there is so much paperwork. i dont want to be bonded.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I heard good about Malaysia and Indonesia regarding all five of those points you listed... Maybe someone who lives there can enlighten us?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
ok keep em coming.

regarding food, nothing beats Pakistani food streets. kilometer long streets with fresh food and drink on either side.

the problem is mid east countries is that dont give full citizen rights and there is so much paperwork. i dont want to be bonded.

The street food then again is not the most hygienic of foods. I have had it in my home country India and seemed to always get sick unless it was something like Naan (a type of pita bread).

Oh and you need to have some arab grilled meats, you are going to forget Pakistani food for sometime. ;)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
criteria:
1) Islamic life style
2) Employment
3) Standard of Living
4) Health & Education
5) People

I would like to add to this list also stability of the political situation like no violence between different political or ethnical groups.

With this from those already mentioned UAE looks most stability country (as far I know) and unfortunately Pakistan doesn´t.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam

Arabian Gulf countries in general , especially Saudi Arabia :)

1) Islamic life style
2) Employment
3) Standard of Living
4) Health & Education
5) People

All is oki al7amdullillah but the 2nd one I think the entire world suffers from no work .

Abu Talib

Feeling low
As-salaamu `alaykum

I heard good about Malaysia and Indonesia regarding all five of those points you listed... Maybe someone who lives there can enlighten us?

I heard too Malaysia is a really nice and pleasant country to stay and the people are really kind, generous and soft hearted. I think queenislam is from Malaysia we can take her inputs on this

Hmm about Indonesia that reminds me of Bali..lol

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

i'll say saudi arabia...maybe because i haven't been to other countries you mentioned. :)

offices closed for prayers, women must come out in abaya, no alcohol, no cinemas, separate men-women sections......i dont think you'll find this being implemented in whole country except in ksa.

Employment, Standard of Living, Health & Education and People factors too are good.

but of course, not all is heaven-like and not all are pious...there are problems as well.

Amir_of_spain

I have Indian friends who have worked throughout the gulf both Indian and Pakistani Muslim, Arab Egyptians, and non-Muslim (Christain Indians and Flipinos). The vast majority say that for saving money and having security for one's family, specifically children, they all recommend Saudi, it is also the best to learn Islam. The disadvantage of Saudi is unless you have a high status job, you may get treated rudely by your Saudi bosses, managers etc. Also if you get into any law case/situation don't expect it to go your way, boredom; as theres not much to do after visiting every restaurent in town.

UAE: they tell me because there is no religious police it is more friendly, more westernised due to the number of foriegners, that Dubai feels like a state of India because there are soo many Indians in certain places. Down side is high cost of renting which was not previously there, the quality Schools for your children are very expensive, saving money there is declining therefore more people look towards Abu Dhabi as a back up option but to get a job there is more difficult. Good chance you might become a shahid if you go regularly on the motorway here.

Oman: scores average in all fields, some religious people may not like it as it is not ahlu sunna wa jamaat. It;s climate is more favourable and has more to explore in terms of landscape. Disadvantage, if you are coming fromn the west you might find your pay is the same or slightly less even after tax.

And the winner is... a newcomer... Qatar!
Pay is good espeically if you are from the West, security is good, it is not strict like Saudi, and it's Arab population is more open, ie more friendly compared to UAE/Saudi. It's infrastructure has reached to the same level as Abu Dhabi, it's Uni's are brand new million dollar complexes, closely following American teaching models. Activities are more diverse than Saudi. Down side, it's job market is relatively smaller than Saudi and UAE, so can be quite a struggle landing a job there, it is still developing it's infrastructure so it does not have all the range of amusements that Dubai has.

Other options to consider.. Egypt? Malaysia?

If you want 3x your salary would you consider Iraq? Western miltatrty services would welcome you! Options are Afghanistan, Iraq and Saudi.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
How about Brunei Darussalam & Mauritania the last time I checked it said Mauritania was a 100% Muslim country Maldives too

arzafar

oh yes sister saima made a good point about having a peaceful environment. i suppose im so used to violence that i never imagined living in a peaceful place.

@borther in islam

i dont know about india but over here food street is generally healthy. This is because everything is fresh, no preservatives, no steroids or genetic modification and our foods are usually cooked at a high temperatures so any bacteria has low chances of survival. Besides im not a chui mui.

as i mentioned above, id like more freedom to travel, setup business, own property, change job etc and the mid east is probably the worst place in that regard. i guess ill have to befriend some wealthy sheikh.

i love malaysia but unfortunately i seek a career in the oil industry. anybody from the Turkic states?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
If its a career in Oil than nothing is better than the Gulf or Malaysia also produces palm oil traded in International markets.

I always thought if we don't have a Islamic state we make one like buying off a Island or large area to make it like community and we rule it according to the Islamic law and with the Islamic Financial system. Would also buy and sell in gold coins..lol

alf2

Islam is a way of life
How about Brunei Darussalam & Mauritania the last time I checked it said Mauritania was a 100% Muslim country Maldives too

Maldives is a 100% Muslim country. BUT Maldives has resort island for visitors, and on the resort islands there is a "no limit" rule Bikinis, sex, music, dancing... In order to keep tourists.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
. . .

Assalamua'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I think I am not going to answer your question directly because everyone will have their own preferences on what kind of places / country they would like to reside.

But as for me, personally speaking from my own experience, I would never forget the time when I had lived in my village, Kelantan. To be honest, it is the place where I can feel the Bia'ah Solehaah (the good environment) within the community especially because Kelantan is one of the states here in Malaysia that tries to uphold the true Sharia'ah to the very best. It has been a very long journey for the state especially in trying to win during the elections (a little bit of politic here) to eventually build a real Islamic state with good, Islamic people, inshaAllaah. Many of our Ula'ama and soleheen people are from Kelantan - they study (usually in Pondok) and then taught the people here.

I will talk about your points one by one, as in general, of the environment in Malaysia (of course this is from my very own point of view, others might look at it differently).

1) Islamic life style

Regarding this point, well I can say that the life style here is OK or acceptable. Since this is a majority Muslim country, almost every Malay are Muslims. Though there are practicing and non-praticing Muslims, but I must say, if once you found the people who really adhere to the true Islam here, MashaAllaah, you can learn a very great deal from them. Yes, we still can see many good Muslims here.

Besides that, almost at all government offices, shopping complexs etc, they will provide a place to perform the prayers. Usually it is only a small Musolla but at least that is more than enough to give you a clean and comfortable place to fulfill our obligations.

2) Employment

In Kelantan, a while ago in the news, the Senator (not sure if that is the right term) of the state wanted to make a new rule on employment. It has been said that before any company employ someone to work for them, they have to make sure that he/she is among the people who perform the prayers. If it is known that that person doesnt pray, he will not get that job. I am not sure on how far the rule has been carried out since it was announced in the news. But indeed, it is a good step towards establishing an Islamic state.

3) Standard of Living

Standard of living of course differs like many other places between those living in the village and city. Usually those living in big city such as Kuala Lumpur, the living expenses there are higher compared to in Kelantan (yeah, that is one of the many reasons I love living there!). If a rice with some meal cost about RM 5.00 in KL, it will only costs you around RM 2.50 in Kelantan. For me, I prefer living in the village than in those big cities even though there are many good facilities in KL such as the fast-train. (There is a place in KL where you feel like living in NY due to the fact that many tourists hang out there apart from that there are many big, famous shopping complexs in KL)

4) Health & Education

Usually in every year's budget, the government will try to upgrade the health care of the citizens. Basically if you go to a goverment-based health clinics to do medical check-ups or take some vitamins, it is free because if I am not mistaken, the expenses has been cut of in their salary. But if you go to a private-based clinics, though it costs you higher, the hospitality is better.

As for the education here, we have public schools, Islamic religious schools (madrasaah), international schools and also private schools. The syllabus varies either it is from the Ministry of Education syllabus or that which has been created from their own school. We have scholarships given to students who excel in their studies and usually after they complete secondary schools, they have a big opportunity to further studies overseas (those from Islamic schools can get the chance to further studies in Al-Azhar, University of Madeenah etc). Some students are fully covered by the government in terms of the education fees while some are covered only half. It depends on many things.

5) People

Lastly, about the people here. For all the time I've been living here, I am grateful that I can feel the 'environment of Islam' here. Sometimes, you just have to be good in finding the right people, the right place and the right time to learn and practice the deen to your very best. At some point, I have found it here. Though we have many different races here - Chinese, Indians and others, but still, many are wearing headscarfs and the athaan can be heard from any nearby mosques.

Therefore, I am thankful for where Allaah has placed me.

Wassalam.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Mauritainia? You for real akhi lol. Maa shaa' Allaah, it is the number one place of hifdh and their level of Arabic probably surpass any gulf university or Al-Azhar, but as brothers have said... You sometimes don't make wudu (but tayammum) for days due to lack of water. A good friend of mine went there for around 6 months. Having previously lived in Yemen a year, which is also an extremely poor, harsh conditioned Arab state like Mauritania, he found Mauritania quite difficult. And to say, if Yemen is pretty harsh, then what about Mauritania. It's a place of learning, I don't know about hijrah.

I agree with what sister alf2 said about the Maldives. Type it in google or an image-stock website and you'll be horrified. Brunei? Not sure.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I like the good old US. You can practice freely. They make a fuss but we have masjids everywhere. We have pockets of Muslim concentration in large cities which offer jobs. There are universities here and many Muslims can attend readily due to minority status. Not bad for living in the belly of the beast.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
In Kelantan, a while ago in the news, the Senator (not sure if that is the right term) of the state wanted to make a new rule on employment. It has been said that before any company employ someone to work for them, they have to make sure that he/she is among the people who perform the prayers. If it is known that that person doesnt pray, he will not get that job. I am not sure on how far the rule has been carried out since it was announced in the news. But indeed, it is a good step towards establishing an Islamic state.

That sounds a little odd. What if someone who doesn´t pray or who isn´t muslim wants to create company? Or is it even possible?

Personally I would feel uncomfortable to live in place where someone like my boss, religious police or goverment watch do I perform prayers or even force me to pray.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
That sounds a little odd. What if someone who doesn´t pray or who isn´t muslim wants to create company? Or is it even possible?

Personally I would feel uncomfortable to live in place where someone like my boss, religious police or goverment watch do I perform prayers or even force me to pray.

assalamu alaykum

yes it is odd and it does not help the people.

They should let the people work, not punish them. Its Allah who is the One who punishes or does not punish.

They should give jobs to those who can fill and do those jobs to the best of their ability. For example, they need an engineer, they should choose the one who is a great engineer rather than whether they sit all day in a mosque. This is better for the economy of the country, otherwise they will be damaging their country's economy!

They should be more kind and nice to those who need to be better Muslims so that they see what it really is like to be a Muslim.