Best Way to Learn How to Pray?

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

I have been changing my lifestyle for a little while now and I truely believe in Islam as a religion and a way of life but I am stuck on one thing... praying. I have like three books on it and I've watched like five different videos but I can't get through a full prayer as of yet because I get frustrated with fumbling over the arabic words and just not knowing if what I'm doing is right.

I really would like to have someone with me to help me, but do masjids offer individual tutors or something? I have a friend that could help, but with my full time job, school and a daughter and then she runs a home daycare plus with five kids and one on the way, neither of us have time to get together for this. :girl3: I really want to be with someone in person that I can ask questions and KNOW that I am saying the words right. I'm just afraid that I'm going to pronounce something wrong and then it is going to mean something totally different. I know it is based on intention, but I really want to do it right.

Or if masjids don't offer that type of help, does anyone know of a video I can burn on DVD that is more of a follow-along type thing (think excersize video... LOL)? The videos I have go really slow so it seems like you are supposed to watch them and then do it later.

I'm just so frustrated with trying to learn this on my own... does anyone know where to get help or any suggestions?

:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
I would suggest going to a Mosque and learning there. Maybe a brother/sister/the Imam might help you learn to pray. Also, you can watch them in action.

Don't worry about the correct Arabic pronounciation (such as the correct pronounciation for Ghayn or 'Ayn), just get the words in. I've seen videos when people are praying (who don't speak Arabic) and they pronounce Ghayn as a hard "G" instead of the way it's supposed to be pronounced (an English "r" comming deep from the throat). I think it's perfectly fine, but I'll need some backup to confirm that...

Meanwhile, don't forget Du'a! Constantly make Du'a to Allah (SWT) asking Him to help you memorize the prayer/do it correctly. Make sure to mention that you need this so you can worship Him the way He wants you to.

May Allah help you and others in our position do salat. Ameen.

albinsaid09

Im sorry to say this but it is very important to pronounce properly. If not it will not have the same meaning. Learn Fatiha first as it is very important. Cut down on the sunna like the sura you recite after fatiha. Next learn the tashadud

yasmin623

Sister,

Please do not frustrated. Allah will guide you through the way...I suppose you are familiar with all the movement in prayer? If so, I guess it is better for you to follow only ONE book or ONE video so that you won`t be confused. For me, I used only one book based on which I learned on my own to read and memorize. Then I went to a fren to correct all the mistakes of my recitation. Be patient and don`t get frustrated...if you get frustrated...beware...syatan is smiling to you...hehe...

Don`t worried too much that you pronounce wrongly. As a matter of fact, by observing my frens, I found that only those with arabic as their mother tongue could actually pronounce nicely. But still they, the arabs themselves admit that they have to keep on learning and correcting their own recitation.

Most important thing is the sincerety to pray...and efforts to improve, bit by bit...InsyaAllah you will be able to recite well soon...May Allah guide you always.:hearts:

Azra

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah hiwabarakatuh,

I agree with Ukthi yasmin623, do not worry too much and just practice it. It is difficult in the beginning, as what I have experienced. The more we pray, the easier it will become.

Being a recent revert, I did ask an ukthi to check on how I did my prayers and there was a time when she said that I made a mistake on the pronounciation. I then asked her if the prayers which I did before was valid since I had a mistake in the pronounciation, she said, "It all depends on Allah. Allah knows best and knows the intention of each person".

Wassalam.

M

mustafaburaq

Actually no need to write more things ! keep your heart clean,control your carnal! and praise to Allah calla calaluhu and Hz.mohammad s.a.v....andlift up your hands as the palms ara through your face .(in fact there is no need but it ll show you more poor ,and we are poor for Allah so do it man :) )want what you neeed.it can be shoe's cord too.everything!

just do not forget! lovers are always with their lovers.distances,conditions,not seeing,not hearing are not important.if you love Allah and want something ,why do not Allah accept your request?! :)

we have loosed too much things about being formalist! no no no... just want from Allah!

seekingtruth2

prayers

asalaamu alaikom waramatullahe wabarakatuh,
I am a revert to islam and yes leaning the prayers can be difficult at first but just take your time... Allah swt rewards you for your efforts when they come from your heart....
yes pronunciation is important! i got a CD with someone saying the prayers and learned to say the prayers this way in my spare time at home or in the car..... to learn the movements correctly I went to the masjid everyday or for you as often as possible... there are prayers 5 times a day and a person can usually fit one in at the masjid even though it can be difficult at times Allah swt will reward you for your efforts.......
there are wonderful videos that you can download to teach you ablution ie: wudu which really is the first thing you should learn to do properly.... then learn fatiha, then learn the rest.......
I hope this helps you in some way...... the wudu video used to be on this site and the cd i learned from is called the prayers of the last prophet by yusef islam....... you can go to www.transliteration.org for learning additional surahs and pronounciations ect.... there is a wealth of information on the internet these days..... just ask and we will direct your steps according to the will of Allah inshaAllah! also buy as many books as possible and if you would like go to myspace.com and find a person who goes by embracing Islam and he actually teaches salat in his masjid and can send you a wealth of information as well if you do not have the funds he will be happy to send you some books on the salat.......
inshaAllah you found what you needed and have gained from what i have told you..... all good comes from Allah and anything bad from myself... please Allah to forgive me of my mistakes....
your sister in islam,
Fatima

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

Thank you all so much for your replies!! Insha'Allah it won't take long before it is second nature for me and I am just perfecting what I know. I like the idea of having a CD in the car... sometimes I have up to an hour drive home from work and that would be great use of that otherwise useless time.

One other question if everyone doesn't mind... :shymuslima1:

I have looked in quite a few places but I can't find what part of the prayer is repeated when you perform more than one rakah (spelling?). For now I just keep practicing one time through knowing that Allah knows my intentions are good.

Thank you all again... TTI has turned out to be such a great source for me and I'm sure so many others in finding information!! Even when my questions are so obviously newbie. :hearts:

:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
When you stand up for another rakah, you say "Allahu Akbar" and start reciting the Qur'an (Surah Fatihah, then another Surah; but in rakat 3 and 4, you recite only Fatihah).

In rakat 2 and 4, you recite the "Tashahhud"

"Atta-hiyyatu lillahi was-salawatu wat-tayyibatu As-salamu 'alaika ayyuh-an-Nabiyyu wa rahmat-ullahi wa barakatuhu As-salamu 'alaina wa 'alaa 'Ibaadillah-is-salihin. Ash-hadu-al-la-Ilaha illAllahu wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhu wa Rasuluh."

All worships - oral, physical and momentary - are for Allah. Allah's peace be upon you, O Prophet, and His mercy and blessings. Peace be on us and on all righteous servants of Allah. I bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His Servant and Messenger

Regarding the underlined parts: I perfer (and from what I've heard, some Sahaba perfered) to say "Ala Nabi" or "On the Prophet". To me (and from what I've heard, some Sahaba), it's shirk as it suggests you're praying to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HF).

In rakah 4, after reciting the "Tashahhud", you finish with this:

"Allahumma salli ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad. Kama sallayta ala Ibrahim wa ala ali Ibrahim. Innaka Hameedun Majeed.

Allahumma bareek ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad. Kama barakatah ala Ibrahim wa ala ali Ibrahim. Innaka Hameedun Majeed".

The Prophet (PBUH&HF) then would recite an optional Du'a (sorry, I don't know the Arabic, this is the way I say it):

"O Allah! Praise be to you and may you send peace and blessings upon your Prophet Muhammad and his family. Allah! Allow me to avoid the punishment and torment of the hellfire and of the grave and allow me to avoid the fitnah [temptation] of life and death and of Ad-Dajjal. Ameen"

Then you finish by turning your face towards your right shoulder (your face is 90 degrees to the right/left of where you usually hold your head) and saying: "Assalamu Alaykum wa rahmatullah". Then, you do the same facing your left shoulder and say: "Assalamu Alaykum wa rahmatullah".

RECITE AYAT-UL-KURSI! - "Hadhrat Muhammad bin al Saumi bin Al Salsal bin Damasc narrates from his father, who in turn, narrates from his father that Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: " Whoever recites Ayatul Kursi after every fard Salaat, there is only death between him and Jannat", he will enter into Jannat immediately when he dies."

"Hadhrat Ibne Anas (Radiahallahu Anhu) says that Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "The one who recites Ayatul Kursi after every Fard Salaat, Allaah Taaala will grant him a gratifying heart, actions of the truthful and reward like the Ambiyaa .Special mercies will descend upon him, and death is the only barrier from his entrance into Jannat. On dying he will enter Janaat".

AliIbanez

A Stranger in Dunyah
Try to concetrate with the Surah Fatiha and other short Surah such as Al-Ikhlas etc. There are some transliteration that you can read then try to hear audios for these surahs to make correct pronounciation (I think there are numerous site where you can download surahs). Make it a practice until you master these short surahs before going to long surahs. Wasalam