Biryani for Many...

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

Assalamualaykum wa'Rahmatullahi wa'Barakatuhu.....ok, hands up for Biryani....?

Biryani: a dish for your sweet-heart :SMILY252:
[IMG=left]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/sumlina786/biryani.jpg[/IMG] Biryani I believe is actually a dish from the indo-pak sub-continent. It can be a combination of variety of things e.g. meat, chicken, shrimps, vegetable etc.
The method may seem a little lengthy, but it is worth waiting for!
Although I prefer my food less spicey, you may personally want to spice it up, and so in addition to the recipe given below, feel free to add your own level of spice (but DONT blame me afterwards)...lol...

Here is a scrumptious recipe for 'Chicken Biryani'. Please note, even though there are various of ways in making this dish, I am generously providing you with my method...hmmmm..... ;)

Servings : 7/8 people (Insha'Allah)
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time : 1 hour and a half
Level of difficulty: Try it, see for yourself...

Ingredients:
2 medium onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1 teaspoon of tumeric powder (haldi)
1 teaspoon of cummin seeds powder
1 tablespoon of salt (this may differ when adding flavour, may need more)
5 tablespoon's of natural yogurt
2 tablespoon's of garlic and ginger grinded or paste
1 tin of chopped tomatoe
1 green chilli (as a whole or chopped, up to you)
3 pounds of chicken (estimated)
4 cups of long-grain rice
1 teaspoon of orange food colour
'Shaans' Biryani Masala (or the like)
water

Method:
First part: Heat the oil in a wide enough pan. Once oil is heated, put the onions in and stir (but remember to keep a pinch for the later garnishing). Fry over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until medium brown. (oh I sound like a cook..lol)
Add the garlic and ginger paste along with the green chilli and stir. At this stage, the paste may stick to the pan so adding water will make the paste smooth. Add the chopped tomatoe and give the paste a good mix. You can now add your spices.....one by one; red chilli powder, garam masala, tumeric powder, cummin seeds powder, salt and 'Shaans' Biryani powder (or the like). Stir well, adding a little bit more water if need being. Taste the flavour and add what you feel seems less, according to your initiative. Add yogurt, stir and then finally, add the chicken pieces. Mix it thoroughly and leave to cook on moderate heat for about 20-30 mins.
However, keep an eye on it, since chicken is quite lenient.

Why waste time:
Second part: Whilst the first half is almost done, don't sit down...please, you cant be tired already! Sheeeesh Kebab! No actually, this is Biryani. A true Biryani however is always complex in its preparation, so no breaks allowed....;).
Get another pan to boil the rice and fill it with water, relatively half way up the pan. Give the rice a little rince and soak it with water for about 10-15mins. (Don't forget the chicken-stir it once again but not too much, as you wouldn't want to break the pieces). Once you see the water drying up in the chicken, low the heat and let it collect the flavour. At this stage, the water for the rice has probably been boiled, so carefully add the rice (please do becareful, don't burn yourself). You can now turn the chicken off and wait for the rice to come to boil. Hello, dont wait as in relax, prepare the topping.....Sheeeesh Kebab...lol! Get your frying pan out and put some oil in it, though keep it shallow. Fry the remaining oninons until deeply brown. Once brown, remove the onions and transfer it to a paper towel to drain the oil.
Your rice has probably come to a boil by now, so low the heat and drain the rice. Meanwhile, let the rice cool a bit, and have a glass of water for yourself ;)

The Fun Part:
Finally: This is an amazing part of the Biryani (ofcourse, apart from eating it-once it's done :)) Sorry, no break as yet, but I promise, it's almost done!
Bring both the rice and the chicken together, near enough to avoid mess! Here, you would now make a layer each of the two cooked parts of the Biryani. First put a layer of rice (back in the pan it was originally cooked in), then a layer of chicken on top. Again, a layer of rice and a layer of chicken. A layer of rice and a layer of chicken, until it is rounded off. (Try to have more rice towards the top, looks neater). Get the end of your cooking spoon and make holes in the Biryani, all the way down the pan. Mix the orange food colour with some water and sprinkle it in the hole's and over the Biryani. Make sure you don't over do it, it's nice to combine the coloured rice with the white rice. Now garnish the crispy brown onions you earlier prepared over the Biryani and you can also add round slices of fresh tomatoe over the whole thing, with a leaf of corriander in the middle of the dish. Close the lid of the Biryani and let it settle over low heat for about 10-15 mins.
Guess what.....Wallaahh.....!

[IMG=left]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/duomaxwe77/UAE/IMG_4261.jpg[/IMG]
Alhamdulillah, all set.......you can now serve as you wish and enjoy your meal with some mint yogurt and salad for the good health ;).

This was the recipe of 'Chicken Biryani' in my style (which I learned from my dear Mummy, so the credit goes to you Mama-Masha'Allah :hearts:)

You could try the other versions with either meat, shrimps or vegetables, just exchange the chicken method with your favourite one. It's simple, really it is. Oh and long-grain rice, is nice for Biryani. Like I said, a true Biryani is a complex one, but the result Insha'Allah would be satisfactory!

Tip Top:
I'm not a sort of cook who would measure each and every spice....no, no, that's not me...........I believe a good cook is the one who uses their own initiative at times (I'm not saying I'm a good cook-but you know what I mean...lol). Using your common sense when it comes to adding flavour in your food, can give your dish a touch of your hand! One main thing to remember: always start in the Name of Allah, say Bismillah!

Although I've given a recipe for about 7/8 people, I can not gaurantee that for sure. Please add more ingredients according to your methodology.

Thankyou for your time and I hope you enjoy this popular dish, Insha'Allah!
Oh, and don't forget :dishes: ..... lol ..... (maybe after that, you can rest ;))

I leave you all in the View of Ar-Raheem,

Wasalam
your sister in Islam

brighten

seeker of knowledge
:salam2:

Jazakallah khair for your recipe sis.

I cooked briyani only once in my life time..:redface:
But last year when I was in Dubai, I had prawn briyani which was marvelicious.
I've been trying hard to get the recipe for the prawn gravy but no luck so far.
wonder if someone knows. If only the Pak guy who serve me knows how to speak english I could have extract his secret recipe.

ermmm this is making me go hungry !

good luck to all the cook out there. :hearts:

wassalam.

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

:wasalam: dear sister

Barak'Allahu Fik for your response.....lol
yes prawn biryani is nice Masha'Allah, though i dont know anything about prawn gravey (unless you mean like prawn curry) :confused: lol

Masha'Allah my mother is a good cook, from her Turkish side and everything....i call her and my elder sister 'My Inspiration', when it comes to cooking :hearts:

Turkish people have this recipe for 'LAGHMAN'...its like fresh hand made speghetti, and you have to stretch and slap it to get the effect..lol..its really fun and tasty too.....i've made it a few times....after watching my mummy... :)

i would give the recipe, but not sure if i can ever find a picture for it ... lol

I leave you in Allah's Care

Wasalam

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum dear sis.

I did a search on the web and this is what I came up with for Laghman (it seems to be the only recipe on the internet!!)...

Laghman recipe

I don't think I could do it, but enjoy to all those who can
!

OH yea, and I luvvvvvvv biryani. So tasty, somehow I can never get tired of eating rice. lol.

Wassalam.

Henna_Hussain14

Salam every1 ....

hmm 1st off all i would like to say "super moderator" (Sis alhamdulillah) is my older sister :p:p:p lol and i actually mean blood sister hehe, the recipe that she has given is good so anyone who hasnt yet tried it plz do!!! Insha'Allah im goin 2 be sending in a couple of recipe's soon and yes i am a better cook then my sister :p (never eat her cookies :p) lolll

I leave you in Allah's care...

Sr Henna :hearts:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum Sister thanks for these recipes and photos, i got to say it does look scrumptious. JAzakallahu khayr, i hope i can get time to look in more detail :) inshaAllah, good reference. My mum also make good and amazing rice dishes.

Salam every1 ....

hmm 1st off all i would like to say "super moderator" (Sis alhamdulillah) is my older sister :p:p:p lol and i actually mean blood sister hehe, the recipe that she has given is good so anyone who hasnt yet tried it plz do!!! Insha'Allah im goin 2 be sending in a couple of recipe's soon and yes i am a better cook then my sister :p (never eat her cookies :p) lolll

I leave you in Allah's care...

Sr Henna :hearts:

Wa alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullah,

welcome to the website,

MashaAllah, hmm a bit of sibling rivalry :p look forward to seeing these recipes. MashaAllah

although i am sure you are all good and equally talented!

Wasalam

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

Wa'alaikum'Assalam wa'Rahmatullahi wa'Barakatuhu.

Barak'Allahu Fik for your feedback Masha'Allah....

but as for this:

MashaAllah, hmm a bit of sibling rivalry :p look forward to seeing these recipes. MashaAllah

although i am sure you are all good and equally talented!

Wasalam

lol....nope....nothing like that Alhamdulillah...why would there be a sibling rivalry...she'd get the recipe from me :p .... lol ....

awww...my lil one.....me love ya sis :hearts:
as for the talent...may ALLAH reward you for your kind words brother....but i'd let her win first prize Insha'Allah ;)

oh and my cOOkies....YOU all have to be the judge of that, no? ... hmmm...

Masha'Allah, im glad you joined Henna, may Allah always be with you in all that you do; and guide you to that which pleases Him Subhana hu wa ta'aala the most, Ameen ya Rabb'al Alamin!

I leave you in Allah's Care,

Wasalam...

SpangledStarz

My mum makes this. It is absoulotely delicious, and it is my favourite dish of all time - along with many other things after it :).

Salams
Sister Starz

ilm.mons

as salam walaikum..

it sounds really tasty and mouth watering....i will ask my mother to try this recipe...my mother cooks biriyani but not in this way...

anyways.thanks for such a great recipe..

slave_of allah

asalma mulaikum... how r u sister ......... seeing ur recipe m getting dam hungry :(
wish i could taste it.. i still dint have my lunch i wana make ur reciepe but theres no meat n dont wNA go ot... but inshallah will make it tomrow........
Bismillah,

[IMG=left]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/sumlina786/biryani.jpg[/IMG] Biryani I believe is actually a dish from the indo-pak sub-continent. It can be a combination of variety of things e.g. meat, chicken, shrimps, vegetable etc.
Although I prefer my food less spicey, you may personally want to spice it up, and so in addition to the recipe given below, feel free to add your own level of spice (but DONT blame me afterwards)...lol...

Here is a scrumptious recipe for 'Chicken Biryani'. Please note, even though there are various of ways in making this dish, I am generously providing you with my method...hmmmm..... ;)

Ingredients:
1 tin of chopped tomatoe
water

Method:
First part: Heat the oil in a wide enough pan. Once oil is heated, put the onions in and stir (but remember to keep a pinch for the later garnishing). Fry over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until medium brown. (oh I sound like a cook..lol)
Add the garlic and ginger paste along with the green chilli and stir. At this stage, the paste may stick to the pan so adding water will make the paste smooth. Add the chopped tomatoe and give the paste a good mix. You can now add your spices.....one by one; red chilli powder, garam masala, tumeric powder, cummin seeds powder, salt and 'Shaans' Biryani powder (or the like). Stir well, adding a little bit more water if need being. Taste the flavour and add what you feel seems less, according to your initiative. Add yogurt, stir and then finally, add the chicken pieces. Mix it thoroughly and leave to cook on moderate heat for about 20-30 mins.

Why waste time:
Second part: Whilst the first half is almost done, don't sit down...please, you cant be tired already! Sheeeesh Kebab! No actually, this is Biryani. A true Biryani however is always complex in its preparation, so no breaks allowed....;).
Get another pan to boil the rice and fill it with water, relatively half way up the pan. Give the rice a little rince and soak it with water for about 10-15mins. (Don't forget the chicken-stir it once again but not too much, as you wouldn't want to break the pieces). Once you see the water drying up in the chicken, low the heat and let it collect the flavour. At this stage, the water for the rice has probably been boiled, so carefully add the rice (please do becareful, don't burn yourself). You can now turn the chicken off and wait for the rice to come to boil. Hello, dont wait as in relax, prepare the topping.....Sheeeesh Kebab...lol! Get your frying pan out and put some oil in it, though keep it shallow. Fry the remaining oninons until deeply brown. Once brown, remove the onions and transfer it to a paper towel to drain the oil.
Your rice has probably come to a boil by now, so low the heat and drain the rice. Meanwhile, let the rice cool a bit, and have a glass of water for yourself ;)

The Fun Part:
Finally: This is an amazing part of the Biryani (ofcourse, apart from eating it-once it's done :)) Sorry, no break as yet, but I promise, it's almost done!
Bring both the rice and the chicken together, near enough to avoid mess! Here, you would now make a layer each of the two cooked parts of the Biryani. First put a layer of rice (back in the pan it was originally cooked in), then a layer of chicken on top. Again, a layer of rice and a layer of chicken. A layer of rice and a layer of chicken, until it is rounded off. (Try to have more rice towards the top, looks neater). Get the end of your cooking spoon and make holes in the Biryani, all the way down the pan. Mix the orange food colour with some water and sprinkle it in the hole's and over the Biryani. Make sure you don't over do it, it's nice to combine the coloured rice with the white rice. Now garnish the crispy brown onions you earlier prepared over the Biryani and you can also add round slices of fresh tomatoe over the whole thing, with a leaf of corriander in the middle of the dish. Close the lid of the Biryani and let it settle over low heat for about 10-15 mins.

[IMG=left]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/duomaxwe77/UAE/IMG_4261.jpg[/IMG]
Alhamdulillah, all set.......you can now serve as you wish and enjoy your meal with some mint yogurt and salad for the good health ;).

This was the recipe of 'Chicken Biryani' in my style (which I learned from my dear Mummy, so the credit goes to you Mama-Masha'Allah :hearts:)

You could try the other versions with either meat, shrimps or vegetables, just exchange the chicken method with your favourite one. It's simple, really it is. Oh and long-grain rice, is nice for Biryani. Like I said, a true Biryani is a complex one, but the result Insha'Allah would be satisfactory!

Tip Top:
I'm not a sort of cook who would measure each and every spice....no, no, that's not me...........I believe a good cook is the one who uses their own initiative at times (I'm not saying I'm a good cook-but you know what I mean...lol). Using your common sense when it comes to adding flavour in your food, can give your dish a touch of your hand! One main thing to remember: always start in the Name of Allah, say Bismillah!

Although I've given a recipe for about 7/8 people, I can not gaurantee that for sure. Please add more ingredients according to your methodology.

Oh, and don't forget :dishes: ..... lol ..... (maybe after that, you can rest ;))

Wasalam
your sister in Islam

revert2007

Love Fishing
mashaAllah ,....i thought making beef briyani this friday inshaaAllah..and this recipe sound really delicious...inshaAllah gonna gv a try...

here is a tips of making bryani...
while ur cooking the chicken,in separate pan u can cook the rise..but make sure u half cook it(and of course u soak the rise in some water with some salt for 10-20 mints)
after the rise is half cook,rinse it and put aside...w

when the chicken has 1/2 water or almost gonna dry but still hv some water,pour the rise ontop of it and close the lid tightly..u may put something heavy on top of it coz u dont wanna loose the good flavour of it do u?

with the steam the rice will eb cooked inshaAllah...

good luck

slave_of allah

hey sister do u know how to prepare lamp biryani plz ask aunty(ur mum) n guide me i dont know n dont have my mum in a stabled condition as shes ill from years so in short i dont have n e 1 to teach me home made stuff i see from books n make but it gets spoilt :(.................
Bismillah,

Ingredients:
1 tin of chopped tomatoe
water

Method:

Why waste time:

The Fun Part:

Tip Top:

Wasalam
your sister in Islam

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
hey sister do u know how to prepare lamp biryani plz ask aunty(ur mum) n guide me i dont know n dont have my mum in a stabled condition as shes ill from years so in short i dont have n e 1 to teach me home made stuff i see from books n make but it gets spoilt :(.................

AHA! so you need the recipe for lamp biryani ?...
ok, this is what i found...i hope it helps :)
Lamb Biryani
ingredients1/2 cup plain Yogurt
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black Pepper
1 3/4 teaspoons Salt
1 pound boneless lamb cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 tablespoons Butter
1 onion, cut into thin slices
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
5 cloves
1 Cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 1/2 cups long grain rice...
2 3/4 cups water
1/3 cup Raisins
1/3 cup chopped cashew nuts

method
1. In a medium bowl, combine the Yogurt with the Garlic, cayenne, Cumin, black Pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Stir in the lamb.

2. In a large saucepan, melt the Butter over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cardamom, turmeric, Cloves, Cinnamon, rice, and the remaining 1 ¼ teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

3. Add the lamb mixture to the pan. Stir in the water and raisins. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the rice and lamb are almost done, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, until the rice and lamb are just done, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cashews.