Black Cats

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question but here goes...

The other day at work, one of my third graders was writing a sentence about a cat. I said, "I love cats! I have two!" and the kid asked me what they looked like. I said one is small with short black hair, and the other is big a fluffy black hair. The kid almost freaked out (Muslim Kuwaiti kid) - he said black cats are from shaytan! I said, no, all cats are from Allah. He said his mother told him to never go near a black cat because they are shaytan's devils "and my mother is not wrong".

So, is this superstition, or so I have 2 cute, cuddly devils living with me?

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2:

No you don't have 2 devils with you...
you have only one and it is not one of your black cats...

It is a superstition, In Islaam Cats are not considered Najis (Impure), they are considered pure...

From Islam-QA
Question: are cats taahir (pure) or naajis (impure)?

Answer: cats are taahir, and based on that, if a cat drinks from a vessel of water, the vessel does not become impure, because of the hadeeth of Kabshah bint Ka’b ibn Maalik, who was in the house of Abu Qutaadah: “Abu Qutaadah came in and I poured water for him to do wudoo’. A cat came and drank some of the water so he tilted the vessel to let it drink. He saw me looking at him and said, ‘Do you find it strange, O daughter of my brother?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that they are not naajis, rather they are among those who go around amongst you.’” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 92; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi..

:wasalam:

q8penpals

No you don't have 2 devils with you...
you have only one and it is not one of your black cats...

LOL! I knew they weren't considered impure, but was just checking if the black cat thing had any substance to it, or just cultural superstitions!

IslamicGirl24

Assalamu alikum sister!

Why don't you do a simple thing... ask your student to ask his mother to point out an authenticated hadeeth in order to support her point. So, if she really has heard about a hadith or a verse she will be able to tell you that...

That way, you will know if you are living with two devils or not ;)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

:) bless the heart of that student of yours..he sure sounds like he listens to his mom carefully..so cute mashallah!

Shaikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (ra)..had said in a fatwa.."A black dog is a shaitan of dogs (i.e. in that form), and jinn take this form most of the time, along with taking the shape of *black cats* because the color black is more collective of satanic powers, and it possesses the power of heat"

So from this you can conclude that though shayateen or jinn take the form of "black cats" it does not happen *all the time*..in other words..not *all* black cats are jinn..and surely if a Muslim house has residence who make their daily dhikr of morning and evening..pray..and recite the qura'an and such would not suffer the harm of jinn...as they cannot stand such things..in fact they cannot stand the *sound of athan* which near to being the most basic of dhikr and they run away upon hearing it :)

Inshallah this information has helped you ukhti