books for learning shafi madhab

lovefordeen

assalaam alaikum

hope you are are fine in sha Allah

i need help

i'm thinking of starting to study the shafi' madhab in sha Allah...can somebody please suggest me good books that in sha Allah i can start with and proceed...i don't know much arabic,so i need a book in english for now
in sha Allah

any books that are available for purchase or that i can get online will do
in sha Allah..

one more help i need is..my child is four year now masha'Allah...i want to teach her arabic from this age in sha Allah so that she can learn religious books in arabic in sha Allah...

i live in a middle eastern country,so getting an arabic teacher for tutoring her in the language will not be a problem in sha Allah...can somebody give me advice on how to go about it,hoe to get her started with the language and what to do...

please help

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Please refer below responses. Jazakallahu khairan Br. Thariq.

Wassalamu Alaikkum.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

Do you have any fiqh teachers available in the area and can they teach shaafi`ee fiqh?

lovefordeen

wa'alaikum assalaam wa rahmathulahi wa barakathuhu

jazakAllah khair for helping...

yes,i wanted her to start learning the language just as we teach english to our kids in sha Allah...

i visited that site...jazakAllah khair..
do we get to buy any books in english for learning the madhab..

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Yes, it is. Some of the 'teachers' there have some dodgy `aqeedah.

If you can get hold of a teacher, who is qualified, to teach you- then that will be good.

Is there any specific reason you want to study the shaafi`ee madh-hab?

lovefordeen

assalaam alaikum

i'm a totally confused person now.....if shafi madhab books are not easily available,maliki or hanbali may also do in sha Allah...any books on that...

i preferred shafi madhab because that's what my mother taught me things from...and i thought it would be easier to continue in sha Allah..

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Why are you confused?

If Shaafi`ee books are not easily available, then go for the fiqh books that are easily available. There are quite a few excellent hanbali (basic) texts in english which explain things clearly as well.

Remember, most of the laymen only ever know bits of fiqh from the chapters of tahaarah (purification) and salaah. And generally, you won't find too many differences between the shaafi`ee madh-hab and the hanbali madh-hab.

There is a very good english book, called "The Summary of Islamic Jurisprudence" by the `Allaamah, shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan. It is available both online and as hard copy. The book can be considered hanbali.

lovefordeen

Yes, it is. Some of the 'teachers' there have some dodgy `aqeedah.

If you can get hold of a teacher, who is qualified, to teach you- then that will be good.

Is there any specific reason you want to study the shaafi`ee madh-hab?

assalaam alaikum

no other than the reason i mentioned,no other reasons in particular...

what are the qualifications needed for a teacher?

a friend told me that in the madrassa she learned as a child,they were taught to pray to Allah with the blessings of badr marytrs and all that..i don't fall into something like that in sha Allah

thanks for helping

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

There is one thing where a person is qualified to teach fiqh, but also there is another thing about what his `aqeedah is. If he has problems in his `aqeedah, then this will have an impact on the student unless the student is knowledgeable in terms of `aqeedah.

The website has the latter problem rather than their actual qualification in fiqh. That's why I advise you to rather stick to the books of the reliable scholars.

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
:salam2:

Sister, if you want to learn fiqh of shafi'i madhab, usually many students of the madhab starts with Safeenatu Al-Najaah (Ship of Salvation) which i already found a link for you to download, the books is in both arabic an english, so its great especially if you want to start learning arabics.

But, as brother thariq stated, if you're ok with hanbali fiqh, i'd say go for it because not only that it is the choice of most of the salafi scholars, the materials are easy to get, and the major books are already translated to english.

I suggest you go to this link to learn more about the hanbali madhab in detail.

lovefordeen

There is one thing where a person is qualified to teach fiqh, but also there is another thing about what his `aqeedah is. If he has problems in his `aqeedah, then this will have an impact on the student unless the student is knowledgeable in terms of `aqeedah.

The website has the latter problem rather than their actual qualification in fiqh. That's why I advise you to rather stick to the books of the reliable scholars.

jazakAllah khair

can you please tell me how can i choose a good teacher...and how to proceed in sha Allah..i have no clue on what to study and in which order..

lovefordeen

Sister, if you want to learn fiqh of shafi'i madhab, usually many students of the madhab starts with Safeenatu Al-Najaah (Ship of Salvation) which i already found a link for you to download, the books is in both arabic an english, so its great especially if you want to start learning arabics.

But, as brother thariq stated, if you're ok with hanbali fiqh, i'd say go for it because not only that it is the choice of most of the salafi scholars, the materials are easy to get, and the major books are already translated to english.

I suggest you go to this link to learn more about the hanbali madhab in detail.

wa'alikum assalaam wa rahamthulahi wa barakathuhu

jazakAllah khair for the help...

so if finding books on the shafi madhab is not hard,in sha Allah i could stick to the same ???or how do i choose a madhab?in which are reliable books easy to find?

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
how do i choose a madhab?

If you're a beginner in studying fiqh, i suggest you stick with one madhab for a while, to make it easy for you, because studying different madhab at the same time can be quite overwhelming for beginners due to the difference of opinions. When you have some proficiency in one particular madhab (Shafi'i in your case), its up to you whether to stick to it and gain a deeper understanding of fiqh in that madhab, or branch out and start learning the others whether its hanbali, hanafi, and maliki.

which are reliable books easy to find?

I'm not sure i understand this question, but if you're talking about the books of shafi'i, then i don't know, because i personally don't follow madhab shafi'i, i mostly prefer hanbali's opinions. But let me give you an answer in general terms regarding choosing books, in studying knowledge of the deen, in every branch of it ('Aqeedah, Fiqh, Hadith, Arabic, etc.) there's this thing called tadarruj, or step by step learning from beginner to advanced, determined by the books we have to study,i can't quite explain this well because of my limitation in english but let's just say for example, some one who wants to study arabic grammar or nahw, first he have to study from the easiest book to the hardest usually that is matn al-ajrumiyyah, to mulhatul i'rab, to qatrun nada then alfiyyah ibn malik, and then Al-Kafiyah ibn hajib, and finally mughni al labeeb.

Anyway, before i'm going off-topic further, i suggest to finish either Safeenatu Al-Najaah or Matn Ghayat At-Taqrib, before moving to other books (that is if you choose to stick with shafi'i madhab). Both are beginner level in studies of shafi'i fiqh, while the former are more popular in Hadramaut if i'm not mistaken, the latter are popular in sham and egypt.

By the way i found a short biography of Abu Shuja' (writer of Matn Ghayat At-Taqrib) on a website dedicated to shafi'i fiqh, you can go there if you want learn more about him and his work.

*removed*

i just hope that it isn't the same website that brother thariq removed.

lovefordeen

jazakAllah khair for helping me...

yes,my confusion was regarding on how to proceed...thanks a lot...one more quesion,why do you prefer hanbali madhab over shafi madhab?

and can you please tell me ow to introduce arabic to my child as well...as it's not our mother tongue...in sha Allah,i would like her to understand it just as i understand english even though it's not my mother tongue ;so that she can understand the Qur'an in its own language unlike me and to study more literature in sha Allah

yes,it is the same site..

thanks for taking the time to help..

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
yes,my confusion was regarding on how to proceed...thanks a lot...one more quesion,why do you prefer hanbali madhab over shafi madhab?

There's a couple of reasons but to save time, one of the reasons is because many of scholars of shafi'i, their aqeedah were asy'ariah while most scholars of hanbali were great scholars who follows the way of the salaf like Ibnu qudamah al maqdisy (one of the greatest scholars of all time in various branch of knowledge).

and can you please tell me ow to introduce arabic to my child as well...as it's not our mother tongue...in sha Allah,i would like her to understand it just as i understand english even though it's not my mother tongue ;so that she can understand the Qur'an in its own language unlike me and to study more literature in sha Allah

i'll answer this tomorrow insha Allah, because its already 12 am here and i haven't even finish writing a concept for tomorrow's khutbah, and its my first time as well so i'm very nervous right now and can't think straight and i need lots of practice.

Ershad

why do you prefer hanbali madhab over shafi madhab?

Following a madhab is usually for our own ease to start seeking the knowledge. Some people prefer hanbali madhab over Shafi may be due to several reasons like availability of scholars nearby or they follow the majority of the people's madhab in their region and so forth. Personally, I don't follow any madhab. But, it is true that most scholars I follow and learn from are from the Hanbali madhab. So, it is like I am open. Whichever scholar gives me evidence, I take from them. For example, I take from Ibn Al-Qayyim, Ibn Taymiyyah, Shaykh Ibn Baaz, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem, Shaykh Al-Fowzaan - All of them Hanbalees. I, also, take from Ibn Hajr who is said to be a Shafi'ee. I, also, take from Al-Laknawee, who was a Hanafee. If you see, most of the scholars I follow are hanbalis. So, you could say, I incline towards hanbali. However, I didn't really study all the classic hanbali books. I read these scholars.

It will be nice to read this article which speaks about madhabs to get a clear idea - http://www.bakkah.net/en/following-math-habs-ascribing-salafiyyah.htm .

strive-may-i

You are in middle eastern country and you are learning arabic. So your native language is not arabic, incase your family has no plans of settling in middle east, it would be best for your kid to learn to communicate in native language.

Mother is the first and best teacher :) and first language (mother tongue) is best language. Leave it to schools to teach arabic. Unless child is prodigy, you can start arabic at around age of 6-7 (usual practice). By then you might have also picked your arabic and assist your kid...

The books are written with specific audience in mind. Are you looking for a common man's book? Or A book that covers topic with scholarly treatment (proofs)? (Latter books demand aptitude, sharp mind and time). Unless one has scholarly understanding of every aspect of deen detailed in school of thought (madhab) one is exposed to, it might not be easy to grasp everything from the other madhab. So right you are, sticking to what you are already exposed to is better thing to do... you will save time, effort, and resulting confusion...

How about picking a book written in your first language? Have you explored that avenue??

strive-may-i

Fatwa shopping

Following a madhab is usually for our own ease to start seeking the knowledge. Some people prefer hanbali madhab over Shafi may be due to several reasons like availability of scholars nearby or they follow the majority of the people's madhab in their region and so forth. Personally, I don't follow any madhab. But, it is true that most scholars I follow and learn from are from the Hanbali madhab. So, it is like I am open. Whichever scholar gives me evidence, I take from them. For example, I take from Ibn Al-Qayyim, Ibn Taymiyyah, Shaykh Ibn Baaz, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem, Shaykh Al-Fowzaan - All of them Hanbalees. I, also, take from Ibn Hajr who is said to be a Shafi'ee. I, also, take from Al-Laknawee, who was a Hanafee. If you see, most of the scholars I follow are hanbalis. So, you could say, I incline towards hanbali. However, I didn't really study all the classic hanbali books. I read these scholars.

It will be nice to read this article which speaks about madhabs to get a clear idea - http://www.bakkah.net/en/following-math-habs-ascribing-salafiyyah.htm .
I once heard a talk, where the dangers of fatwa shopping was highlighted with very good examples. Since my memory and knowledge are limited, i do not recollect the specific examples.

Hope you are aware of the same.

So you always have a fallback madhab and you seem to be aware of the intricacies, and the insight of where to look into, why and where not to look into, why nots (logic that will survive logic tests), when you decide to take something. One could take your approach, once he has reached giant scholarly levels... Are my conclusions about your methodology correct??