Bovine Gelatin, Halal or Not?

Yahya1819

Assalaamu Alaikum,

I recently bought a muscle building supplement product called Force Factor. It contains Bovine Gelatin and I would like to know if it is Halal. Please share anything you know.

JazakAllahu Khairan

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Gelatin is made from boiling bones, skin and muscles of animals. Generally, pigs. BUT, Bovine indicates this gelatin is coming from a cattle animal.

This type of animal is halal for us to eat.
But the animal was probably not slaughtered in a Halal manner.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Insist it on Halal!!!

Assalaamu Alaikum,

I recently bought a muscle building supplement product called Force Factor. It contains Bovine Gelatin and I would like to know if it is Halal. Please share anything you know.

JazakAllahu Khairan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:bismillah:
:salam2:

Dear br.

Bovine Gelatin is made by processing the skin, bones & connective tissues of cattle. This can be formed into the gelatin capsules drug & vitamin companies use to fill with medicines & vitamins.
Bovine are cow so they are beef galetin if it slaughtered in Islamic rite it's halal.

And your question is regarding this product you are taking,

But since you are getting it in United States,
My advice is that
you can obtain the answers from the manufacturer
in your country regarding this by simply call them up and

insya'allah~May it help to clear all your doubt.

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

Take Care!
~Wassalam :)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

I randomly stumbled across this thread, and would like to make it clear, that if anything contains bovine gelatin, it is still haraam for us to eat because the animal was not slaughtered Islamically.

If it was slaughtered Islamically (ie, you live in an Islamic country), then its okay, otherwise, no - any mention of gelatin should have you be putting the product back on the shelf I'm afraid.

For a great time now my community and I have been concerned with the issue of foods such as Gelatin, mono and dyglycerides, pepsin and rennetAll these thing are in our foods today and yet we do not know what we can eat and the reason for each. PLease give me a very detailed response that could end this trouble.

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah has blessed His slaves by creating for them all kinds of provision on earth, and He has permitted them to eat from that which is halaal (permissible) and good; this includes very many things, it is not limited. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O mankind! Eat of that which is lawful and good on the earth, and follow not the footsteps of Shaytaan (Satan). Verily, he is to you an open enemy.” [al-Baqarah 2:168]

Allaah forbids a limited number of foods, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): “I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maitah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering).” [al-An’aam 6:145]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the eating of every carnivorous animal that has fangs, and every bird which has talons. (Narrated by Muslim, 6/60)

And he forbade the flesh of (domestic) donkeys (narrated by al-Mukhari in al-Fath, no. 4215).

Of the foods which are to be found nowadays, some of them are clearly haraam, such as dead meat [from an animal which has died naturally as opposed to being slaughtered properly] and pork. Some foods may contain ingredients and derivatives which come from haraam sources, so we have to find out where they come from so that we may know what the ruling is concerning them. The gelatin which was mentioned in the question may originate from the skin, muscles and bones of haraam animals such as pigs. Hence gelatin which is derived from collagen which comes from pigs is haraam, because it is as if the pig had been turned into salt. The most correct view is that it is haraam even if it has been changed, so long as it originally came from a pig, which is haraam.

The fats which are used in foods come either from vegetable sources or animal sources.

If they come from vegetable sources they are halaal, so long as they have not been mixed with anything that is impure (najjis) or anything that could contaminate them. If they come from animal sources, they are either from animals that we are permitted to eat or animals that we are not permitted to eat.

If they come from an animal that we are permitted to eat, then they come under the same ruling as the meat of that animal.

If they come from an animal which it is haraam for us to eat – such as pigs – then we look at whether they are used in foods or for other purposes.

If they are used for non-food purposes, e.g. many fats are used in making soap, then there is a difference of scholarly opinion, but the most correct view is that they are haraam.

If they are used in foods, e.g., pig fat (lard) is used in making sweets and other foods, this is haraam.

With regard to cheese: if it is made from the milk of an animal which we are not permitted to eat, then according to scholarly consensus it is not permissible to eat it. If it is made from the milk of an animal which we are permitted to eat, and it is known that it is made with rennet that has been derived from an animal slaughtered according to sharee’ah and it has not been mixed with any najaasah (impurity), then it may be eaten.

If it was made with rennet derived from dead meat, there is a difference of scholarly opinion as to whether we may eat it, but the most correct view is that it is haraam.

If it was made with rennet from a source which is inherently naajis (impure), such as rennet derived from pigs, then it should not be eaten.

See Ahkaam al-At’imah fi’l-Sharee’ah al-Islamiyyah by al-Tareeqi, p. 482

In many cases these matters are unclear to the Muslim (he does not know the source of food ingredients). In this case, it is better to fear Allaah and be cautious. Avoiding doubtful things may be preferable to using them in these circumstances, as stated in the hadeeth narrated by al-Nu’maan ibn Basheer (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say – and al-Nu’maan pointed to his ears – “That which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain, and between the two of them there are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honour, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allaah’s sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it is sound, all the body is sound and which, if it is corrupt, all of it will be corrupt. Truly it is the heart.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 1599).

From the above we learn that the basic principle concerning food is that it is halaal, apart from those things for which there is clear evidence (daleel) that they are haraam, such as dead meat, blood, animals sacrificed to other than Allaah and meat over which the name of Allaah was not pronounced at the time of slaughter. Concerning the foods mentioned in the question: if it is proven that they contain ingredients derived from haraam sources, it is necessary to avoid them, otherwise they need not be avoided. If you are not sure whether they contain anything haraam or not – without being paranoid or succumbing to the waswaas (insinuating whispers of the Shaytaan) – then it is preferable to avoid them as a precaution out of fear of Allaah.

And Allaah knows best.

ayesha.ansari

In today world it is the main basic problem in non muslim countries, for muslim to obtains things which are fully halal with no doubt, but my brother, you must have to consult with the manufacturer company and search around, as one of my brother said the same.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
salam alaikum

bovine gelatine is from cattle, as some sisters and brother have already replied.
usually: cow, buffalo etc.

if it was pork, then it would be porcine gelatin

but the matter is do they take pig as a cattle animal!?
i guess no, wa-llahu a'lam

you better contact a shaykh
may Allah help you to find

salam alaikum

msmoorad

mommys boy
as salaamu alaikum

whats the need to consult a sheikh on such a clear cut matter?

there is 0% chance of the cow that this gelatin was derived from having being slaughtered according to shariah- therefore the gelatin is haraam.
i know its difficult but whats more important:
your muscular/strength gains or ensuring that only halaal enters your system?

it would be different if you used the product without being aware of the gelatin but now that you know, you cant consume it or try to justify using it.
if its still sealed,maybe return it & get something else.
and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazkallah

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
salam alaikum

bovine gelatine is from cattle, as some sisters and brother have already replied.
usually: cow, buffalo etc.

if it was pork, then it would be porcine gelatin

but the matter is do they take pig as a cattle animal!?
i guess no, wa-llahu a'lam

you better contact a shaykh
may Allah help you to find

salam alaikum

:wasalam:

Brother, if the cattle is slaughtered unislamically, that makes it haraam, according to major consensus of scholars, whether you use it for meat, gelatin, whatever. Only animals which have been slaughtered while invoking the name of Allah SWT are permissable to eat.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
:wasalam:

Brother, if the cattle is slaughtered unislamically, that makes it haraam, according to major consensus of scholars, whether you use it for meat, gelatin, whatever. Only animals which have been slaughtered while invoking the name of Allah SWT are permissable to eat.

salam alaikum

oh, JazakAllah khair, sister, I totally miss that point.
I was putting importance in pork and beef.

I didn't say that is haram or halal, so I said to contact a shaykh
JazakAllah khair for pointing me out.

I strictly maintain dhabiha halah, and if there is something confusing, I stay away

may Allah help us to acquire the knowledge, ameen

wassalam

DanyalSAC

And I said to consult a shaykh because the food of the People of the Book is lawful for us. How many Christians do you know say "bismillah" when they kill an animal? I can say that for me its exactly 0.

I'm kinda tired of having this discussion on this website. Most folks think that if its not from a Muslim country (or killed by a Muslim) its 100% haraam, even halal animals. I don't buy into that.

msmoorad

mommys boy
And I said to consult a shaykh because the food of the People of the Book is lawful for us. How many Christians do you know say "bismillah" when they kill an animal? I can say that for me its exactly 0.

I'm kinda tired of having this discussion on this website. Most folks think that if its not from a Muslim country (or killed by a Muslim) its 100% haraam, even halal animals. I don't buy into that.

salaams to all
the quran refers to the people of the book who FOLLOW the book.
how can you say that if its not slaughtered by a muslim, then it could still be halaal?
i have lived in the US & i have seen many arabs & african muslims eat haraam meat.
they also use the same hollow excuse/justification.
at the end of the day-its a matter of haraam vs halaal- not a trivial issue.
jazakallah

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I see that we are headed towards the oft repeated zabeeha halaal Vs non-zabeeha halaal discussion. So I feel it's necessary that I repost one of akhi Al Kashmiri's earlier post on a similar thread that might make us a bit more tolerant about the varying opinions that fellow brothers and sisters might have here on TTI regarding this issue.

As-salaamu `alaykum

I was requested to give some input here so I hope this is of value...

For those with a die-heard attitude about this matter, please drop your hands to your sides, because like many other areas of Islamic fiqh, this is an area of genuine differing between the different schools of thought, and none of us are near certainty on this issue, although we believe our views are closer to the truth...

Regarding meat, we know that today in the West, most kitaabis don't even utter any name (not even `Isa's) upon slaughtering their meat for starts, which presents a bit of a problem. They also stun their meat, although now in the UK, the precision of stunning has got to a stage where animals don't necessarily die from stunning as they use to some years ago. At the same time, we know that by Islamic law (or at least one opinion), we are not obligated to dig deep into the matter, asking people about the way in which their meat has been slaughtered...

The matter is simple... Read the proofs as understood by the Islamic scholars. See what you think is closest to the truth and stick to it. Alternatively, adhere to your madh'hab if you follow one, especially if you're confused. If someone asks you about this or any matter, present to them what you know by way of Islamic law and the speech of respected and educated scholars.

I don't think anyone of us here (I'm repeating this I know) have the right, permission or even ability to make ijtihaad to cough-up our own conclusions from the evidences, so we should be very careful in sharing or pushing our personal opinions which are not built upon Islamic principles of derivation...

Link

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Is Kosher Halal

Often times Muslim consumers tend to assume 'Kosher' is similar to 'Halal'. Although the slaughtering rituals of Jewish people resemble those of Muslims; kosher and halal are two different entities carrying a different meaning and spirit. Muslims, therefore, are provided with the following basic information about Kosher so they can exercise care in distinguishing halal from kosher.

Kashrut (in Hebrew) is the system of Jewish dietary laws. Kosher (kashur in Hebrew) means 'fit, or proper for use' according to Jewish law. Examples of kosher are: the meat of the 'fore quarter*' of the cattle slaughtered ritually, fruits, vegetables, all fish that have fins*, Kosher wines*, Kosher cheeses*, Kosher gelatin*.

The opposite of Kosher, as applied to food in Treif (in Yiddish), or trefah (in Hebrew) meaning 'not suitable for use', or 'forbidden'. Trefah literally means 'torn by a wild beast' (Exodus 22:30). Examples of Trefah are: blood, swine, rabbit*, all shell fish*, wild birds such as wild hen*, wild duck*, and the birds of prey.

(*) These food items exhibit a marked difference between kosher and Halal as well as trefah and haram. The differences are explained elsewhere in this section.

Caution to Muslim Consumers:

Halal is a comprehensive Islamic term encompassing not only the matters of food and drink, but all other matters of daily life. Islam being the final and perfect way of life for humanity, it supersedes all the previously revealed religions including Christianity and Judaism. The rituals in all matters were perfected by God (al-Quran 5:3)

According to Islamic Jurisprudence, no one except God can change forbidden (Haram) things into lawful (halal) for vice-versa. It is forbidden for people to change the lawful (Halal) things into unlawful (Haram), or vice-versa.

Halal is a unique Islamic concept and eating zabiha (Islamically slaughtered) meat is a distinguishing part of a Muslim's identity as expressed by Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

Salient differences between kosher and halal are:

Islam prohibits all intoxicating alcohols, liquors, wines and drugs. kashrut regards their wines kosher. Hence food items and drinks showing the kosher symbol containing alcohol are not halal.

Gelatin is considered Kosher by many Jews regardless of its source of origin. If the gelatin is prepared from non-zabiha, Muslims consider it haram (prohibited). Hence foods items such as marshmallows, yogurt, etc., showing kosher symbols are not always halal.

Enzymes (irrespective of their sources even from non-kosher animals) in cheese making are considered mere secretion (pirsah b'almah) according to some kashrut organizations, hence all cheeses are considered kosher by many Jews. Muslims look for the source of the enzyme in cheese making. If it is coming from the swine, it is considered haram(forbidden). Hence cheeses showing kosher symbols may not be halal.

Jews do not pronounce the name of God on each animal while slaughtering. They feel that uttering the name of God, out of context, is wasteful. Muslims on the other hand pronounce the name of Allah on all animals while slaughtering.

The salient differences between kosher and halal have been illustrated so that Muslim consumers can distinguish halal from kosher.

Muslims in non-Muslim countries should strive to follow the Islamic injunctions in their diet (as well as in every walk of life) and establish their own businesses and institutions to cater to the needs of the Muslim Ummah. By doing so, not only the identity of the Muslims will be preserved, but they will be recognized and respected for their beliefs and practices.

Differences within Kosher:

There are different sects within Judaism and there are several hundred Jewish Kosher authorities in the US who certify Kosher based on extremely liberal to extremely conservative rules. Therefore it is difficult to come up with one uniform opinion regarding Kosher practices. A symbols "k" for kosher is not governed by any authority. Any manufacturer can use it at will. A website guiding Jews about Kosher states "it may take a great deal of detective work to ascertain the standard that a particular rabbi is using." For this reason many Muslims when buying anything kosher look for "u" in a circle which are more conservative Kosher symbol.

Based on the book, Islamic Dietary Concepts And Practices by M.M. Hussaini

I've also read in an earlier article one sister on TTI forwarded to me once a couple years back (can't find it anymore), that although Kosher Gelatin would not have pork, it might still have beef enzymes where the cattle was not slaughtered islamically. So we have to be careful because the kosher gelatin could have been sourced from hide/bones etc from a cow which musims are not allowed to eat.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One thing I find interesting is that Yoplait Yogurts say Kosher Gelatin on them, but they do not have any sign of a K, U, UD etc.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
One thing I find interesting is that Yoplait Yogurts say Kosher Gelatin on them, but they do not have any sign of a K, U, UD etc.

If you are looking for yoghurt, your best bet would be buying organic yoghurt as it would eliminate any doubts of meat being used in it InshaAllah.

There are 2 brands that are common here and quite delicious yoghurt :- Horizon and Stonyfield. The U D sign on the dairy products means that it would most likely not have any meat in it as the jews dietary laws don't allow them to consume diary products and meat together.

As mentioned above, the 'K' sign hardly means anything. Though look out for the 'U' sign and InshaAllah that would be safe for us to consume given that you look out for any alcohol addition to the product.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

If you are looking for yoghurt, your best bet would be buying organic yoghurt as it would eliminate any doubts of meat being used in it InshaAllah.

Wa iyyak, akhi.

Yes, in addtion, FriendlyFarms Yogurt is also a brand available which has the UD sign on it. However, I'd like to caution anyone interested that I've come across a yogurt (I forgot which brand it was) which had a UD on it, however it contains Aspartame. Aspartame is not a safe chemical, and has some harmful effects similar to what MSG does - of course its halal, but its not good health-wise. In India, all products and chewing gums which contain Aspartame actually have a medical warning in bold print on the front of the packets.

When looking for a "K" for a kosher sign, the K has to be inside some sort of design, like inside a star, or an emblem or a circle. I've recently bought Jello's jelly crystals, and it had a tiny unadorned K on it, and it said "Gelatin" on the ingredients. I'm thinking now why did I even buy it? it might not be safe to eat and could contain pork/meat as the k is so tiny in a corner and looks like it was left there accidentally. I have got to throw that packet out..

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Okay, I am really stumped. I have just come across a product, and I can not figure out if it is halal or haram to eat.

The product in question is a Reese's SnackBarz I just got out of a vending machine (I heard of it for the first time). It has a UD on it. The ingredients don't have any questionable material on it at all - well, there's "Glycerin" on it, but I'm not sure what that is sourced from. What is confusing me is the little blurb on the front which says "Crispy Rice & MarshMallow with Reese's Peanut Butter."

I've sent an email to Hershey's to ask if there are any animal derivates in the product, but the helpline is closed for the weekend, so now I'm confused whether I should eat it or not. I mean, it has UD on it.

soulzcore

Abd-Allah !!
Assalaamu Alaikum,

JazakAllahu Khairan

Wasalaam brother,

Bovine = haraam

Force Factor = not worth the hype, there are better supplements out there, dont go for it!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Aspartame is not a safe chemical, and has some harmful effects similar to what MSG does - of course its halal, but its not good health-wise. In India, all products and chewing gums which contain Aspartame actually have a medical warning in bold print on the front of the packets.

Thanks for informing us about that. InshaAllah will try to keep a look out for 'Aspartame' in the future.

When looking for a "K" for a kosher sign, the K has to be inside some sort of design, like inside a star, or an emblem or a circle. I've recently bought Jello's jelly crystals, and it had a tiny unadorned K on it, and it said "Gelatin" on the ingredients. I'm thinking now why did I even buy it?

Though I am not really that well versed about this 'gelatin' issue. My friends who have more knowledge of bio chemistry as well have done more research on this 'Kosher issue', say not to trust the 'K' sign on it's own. In their words, it is as good as being worthless for us. However, K D or U D and we start to feel comfortable.

I asked my friend and he said he wouldn't trust Kosher gelatin at all and it's better to avoid it altogether.

The product in question is a Reese's SnackBarz I just got out of a vending machine (I heard of it for the first time). It has a UD on it. The ingredients don't have any questionable material on it at all - well, there's "Glycerin" on it, but I'm not sure what that is sourced from. What is confusing me is the little blurb on the front which says "Crispy Rice & MarshMallow with Reese's Peanut Butter."

My friend says that the glycerin could be from vegetable sources. However, the marshmellow is a total no-no. He said to only consume 'halaal marked' marshmallow that are sold by muslim food companies. All the rest be it U D or K D is not safe enough when it comes to marshmallows.

Anyhow, it would be helpful to us in the future if you could inform us about the response you get from the corporate office.

Finally, always a good idea to not consume a food product when in doubt. Just to be on the safe side.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi