Can I name my son Aaron?

Discussion in 'Islamic Discussion' started by ZeeA, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ZeeA

ZeeA New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    Salam alaykum,

Well...I'm wondering if one can name his child with a name like Aaron instead of Haroun, Anne instead of Hanna, Elijah instead of Ilias, Jonah instead of Yunus.
    All these name are in the Bible and the Qu'ran.
    But I'm afraid that these name may sound Jewish and people can be confused with a person of Jewish or a Christian.
    And I heard it's haram to name your child with a name who can lead people to think that he's not muslim.

So what do you think?
  2. Libinette

Libinette Umm Zubayr

StUdEnT
    Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0
    Wa aleykum salaam,

I'm answering this by asking another question (forgive me), why would a Muslim call his/her child Aaron instead of Haroun?
  3. MeGladder

MeGladder Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0

Islamically, there is no problem with the good names such as Aaron, Elijah, etc. The names of the Prophets (Peace be upon them all) are good. Naming is NOT haram as long as they have good meaning, and your intention is also good. There are also atheists who have such names. So, if someone is confused by seeing these names, let's wait for him/her to ask, and know the answer from that person having such name. :]

This is a very good read dealing with Etiquette of naming children : http://islamqa.info/en/ref/7180
  4. ZeeA

ZeeA New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    Salam alaykum,

Your question seems legit.
    Well actually I don't know, I just prefer the way Aaron sounds, but it doesn't mean I would name my child Jonah because in this case I prefer Yunus.
    It's a matter of taste.

Plus, I live in a non-Arabic country and my brother's name is Nedjmeddine, which is a such beautiful and meaningful name, but he's kinda suffered from the mispronunciation of his name, this is really frustrating for him.
    So I guess I wouldn't give my child a name that everyone will mispronounce.

Thanks for you reply and the link, it really helped me :)
  5. Idris16

Idris16 Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0
    Name them Yunus, Haron, Ilyas. Case closed.
  6. UmmTalal

UmmTalal Alhumdullah!

Freelane Graphic Designer
    Home page:
    Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0
    Wa Alaykum Salam, Like the sister above stated there is no harm in naming your child a name that is not bad. Just bc someone is a Muslim they do not have to have an Arab name bc many Muslims are reverts.. Aaron is a pretty name :) But make sure you at least follow the Muslim ways of giving him his fathers name for a middle name :)

Mabrook btw on the baby
  7. Itqan Ullah

Itqan Ullah Time is Running!!

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +63 / 0
    I like the name "case closed" ^.^
    Mashallah sweet name. :p

I was wondering don't the jews who speak hebrew or arabic use the same arabic names we use?
  8. PeacefulHumanity
    Breezy

PeacefulHumanity :)Smile! It's Sunnah

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0
    My name's been mispronounced by everyone since I was a kid and still is (I've looked it up, it has no meaning either :( ). I've always promised myself I wouldn't punish my kid with a strange meaningless name, so it you think he'll be comfortable named after a Prophet then go ahead in my honest opinion.
  9. al-fajr
    Spaced

al-fajr ...ism..schism Staff Member

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 2
    Not sure 'pretty' is the most encouraging adjective in the context lol.

A muslims name is a big part of his or her identity and I think naming children with clear cut Muslim names is really important. A person with the name 'John' would have a much better social life/social niche in the west than a person with the name 'Yahya' but the question is which one of the two would end up with the stronger Muslim identity? The answer is obvious.

Ofcourse it's about what you want to achieve and what you consider important, I would say who cares if its frustrating when they get your name wrong, the result would be the child would feel more at home in Muslim environment where people don't get his name wrong, that's a good consequence of a good Islamic name.

In my opinion, nothing beats the most traditional names in our history: Mohammad, Abu Bakr, `Umar, `Uthmaan, `Ali, Bilaal, Sa'ad etc ..there are so many to choose from and they're common and easy to pronounce anyway.

:salam2: