Can we Celebrate the Birthday of Prophet Muhammad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:salam2:

Can we Celebrate the Birthday of Prophet Muhammad?

There is nothing in the Qur’aan to say that we should celebrate the Mawlid or birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet himself (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do this or command anyone to do it, either during his lifetime or after his death. Indeed, he told them not to exaggerate about him as the Christians had exaggerated about Jesus (upon whom be peace). He said: “Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say, ‘The slave of Allaah and His Messenger.’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari). What has been reported is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made the day of his birth a day of worship, which is different to celebration. He was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he said: “That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation.” (Reported by Muslim, al-Nisaa’i and Abu Dawood).

Moreover, we know that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) were the people who loved the Prophet most. Was it reported that Abu Bakr, who was the closest of people to him and the one who loved him the most, celebrated the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? Was it reported that ‘Umar, who ruled for twelve years, or ‘Uthmaan, did this? Was it reported that ‘Ali, his relative and foster son, did this? Was it reported that any of the Sahaabah did this? No, by Allaah! Is it because they were not aware of its importance, or did they not truly love the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? No one would say such a thing except one who has gone astray and is leading others astray.

Did any of the imaams – Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al-Shaafi’i, Ahmad, al-Hasan al-Basri, Ibn Seereen – do this or command others to do it or say that it was good? By Allaah, no! It was not even mentioned during the first and best three centuries. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in a saheeh hadeeth: “The best of mankind are my generation (or my century), then those who come after them, then those who come after them. Then there will come a people who will not care if their testimony comes before their oath or vice versa (i.e., they will not take such matter seriously).” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Muslim and al-Tirmidhi). The celebration of the Prophet’s birthday appeared many centuries later, when many of the features of true religion had vanished and bid’ah had become widespread.

Thus this celebration became a sign of one’s love for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? But can it be possible that the Sahaabah, the imaams and the people of the best three centuries were unaware of it, and it was only those who came later who were aware of its importance?! What the Qur’aan tells us is that love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is demonstrated by following the guidance he brought. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Say: ‘Obey Allaah and the Messenger.’ But if they turn away, then Allaah does not like the disbelievers.” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:31-32]

The first aayah explains that love is just a claim, but the proof of sincerity is following what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) brought. The second aayah reaffirms the importance and necessity of obeying Allaah and His Messenger. Hence Allaah ended the aayah with a very stern warning in which those who refuse to obey are described as kaafirs, and Allah does not love the disbelievers. We ask Allaah to keep us safe from that. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us of the danger of not obeying him, and the danger of adding to what he brought. The celebration of Mawlid or his birthday is indeed an addition to what he brought – as all the scholars agree. He said: “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah, and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil of things are those which are newly-invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa’i).

We ask Allaah to protect us from bid’ah and to bless us by helping us to follow. Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

The celebration of Al-Mawlid is a reprehensible Bid’ah and its celebrators have strayed away from the truth, because the religion of Allah is complete and perfect. Allah says that which translates as: "This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed my favour upon you and have approved for you Islam as a religion." (Al-Maa’idah: 3).

Imaam Maalik, may Allah have mercy upon him, said: "What was considered at that time (i.e. the time of the Prophet sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and his companions) as a part of the religion is the religion, otherwise it is not a part of the religion."

It is a historical fact that the Bid’ah of Al-Mawlid was initiated by Al-‘Ubaydiyyoon, who were the atheists that ruled the Faatimi state. This Bid’ah was definitely and undoubtedly not practiced by the distinguished first three generations of the Muslim nation, it is a new innovation and it is misguidance. The Prophet sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: "Every Bid'ah (innovation) is misguidance" (Ahmad, Tirmidhi and others). All new innovation are rejected by Allah because the Prophet sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “He who does something which is not according to what we (i.e., the Prophet sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and his companions) are upon then it is rejected” (Muslim). Imaam An-Nawawi, may Allah have mercy upon him, said: "‘Rejected' meaning false and not considered by Allah at all." He also said: "This Hadeeth lays down one of the great fundamentals of Islam, which rejects and refutes any new innovation in Islam." He further said: "This Hadeeth must be spread and used as a means to negate all new evils."

Therefore, the Bid’ah of Al-Mawlid is misguidance which is rejected and has no significance to the religion of Islam.

DataZak

This question pops up here in Malaysia every time Maulidur Rasul approaches. It is usually asked by the so-called 'liberal' Muslims who are always on the lookout undermine their own faith.

It is true that celebrating the Prophet's (s.a.w) birthday is considered a bid'ah (innovation) but it is a good bid'ah. Not all bid'ahs are automatically bad.

Here are some reasons defending the practice of celebrating Maulidur Rasul (especially here in Malaysia):

1) Just because the Prophet (s.a.w) did not practice something, doesn't mean that thing is wrong

Many things that are practiced by Muslims today were never stressed by the Prophet in his sunnah. For example, tahleel, talqeen for the dead, doa nisfu sya'ban and celebrating Maulidur Rasul. Yet these things are practiced widely especially here in S.E. Asia because it is 'mustahab' (encouraged) because they are considered not going against the syaraie.

Also, there is a Hadith collected by Imam Ahmad from Ibnu Mas'ud where the Prophet (s.a.w) said: "Any practice that is seen as good by the ummah, will also be seen as good by Allah. And any practice that is seen as evil by the Ummah, will also be seen as evil by Allah".

Celebrating the Prophet's (s.a.w) birthday is seen by most Muslims as a good practice.

2) Hypocrisy of those who call it bid'ah

Please note that I am not calling you a hypocrite :SMILY286: but there are those who call themselves muslims who argue that Maulid Rasul is unIslamic. However, these same people have no problems celebrating their own birthdays, their children's birthdays, their friend's birthdays or even the birthday of the nation. Not only that, these people blow candles and have parties to celebrate. Is that Islamic? Which hadith say you can blow candles like a damn fire worshiper on your birthday?? See, what I mean? They're hypocrites. And we have a lot of them here in Malaysia:angryred:

3) There is nothing wrong in remembering important dates in Islamic history

For example, the Jews used to fast on 10 muharram to commemorate the victory Allah gave Musa (a.s.) and his ummah over Firaun. The Prophet (s.a.w) then said to his Companions that we (the Muslims) are more qualified to remember that date (because Muslims still hold true to the deen while the Jews have gone astray). So he encouraged his Companions to fast on 9th and 10 Muharram.

My point is that the Prophet himself loved to celebrate important dates in Islam.

4) Maulidur Rasul is permitted by the Ulamas based on what the Companions used to say

Imam As-Syafie wrote in "Faslun Fii Bayan Fadli Maulid Nabi (s.a.w) that Saidina Umar (r.a.) once said: "whosoever encourages (celebrates) Maulidur Rasul, he has raised the deen of Islam to a high level."

Saidina Usman (r.a.) once said: "Whosoever spends one dirham for Maulid Nabi (s.a.w), it's as if he had fought in Badr and Hunayn"

5) Celebrating Maulidur Rasul is a good way to remember the Greatest Human Being evah!

We are encouraged to remember Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) although we must be careful not to make the same mistakes as the Christians did who loved Jesus Christ the son of Mary so much, that they elevated him to a status he did not deserve (making him divine).

adanshai

There is no 'GOOD BIDAH' in islam - anyone can understand that.

Christians celebrate CHRIST birthday - is it not true - then

Islamic version of 'CHRISTMAS' ????? - may ALLAH have mercy upon us. (Ameen)

DataZak

There is no 'GOOD BIDAH' in islam - anyone can understand that.

Yes, there is.

Umar (r.a) was asked about praying the tarawih in congregation. He said it is bid'ah but what a beautiful bid'ah it is.

So there is such a thing as good bid'ah. Anyone can understand that.

And no, it is not Islamic version of Xmas. We don't call Muhammad (s.a.w) son of God, for one thing. Or pray to him.

Anyway, read my post in its entirety. I've listed some reasons cited by ulamas defending the practice of Maulid Rasul.

Evil consequences of the Bid’ah of Al-Mawlid

* The attempted worship of Allaah in ways which the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam did not legislate, and by ways he deemed as misguided.

* Doubting the perfection and completion of the religion of Islaam while Allaah has said that which translates as: "This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed my favour upon you and have approved for you Islaam as a religion." (Al-Maa’idah: 3).

* Doubting the honesty and sincerity of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam in perfectly conveying the Message of Islaam.

* Doubting that the companions of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam loved him, for they never celebrated his birthday.

* Making this day (Al-Mawlid) a new ‘Eed wherein it is prohibited for the Muslims to fast, as some of their people of reference have ruled, such as Ibn ‘Abbaad and Ibn ‘Aashir.

* Imitating the Christians in the celebration that they hold for the birthday of ‘Eesaa, or Jesus, peace be upon him. As-Sakhaawi, may Allaah have mercy upon him, claimed that: "If the people of the cross celebrated the night of the birthday of their Prophet, then the Muslims are worthier to celebrate and honour their Prophet". Mullaa ‘Ali Qaari, may Allaah have mercy upon him, refuted him by saying: "What answers him (i.e., As-Sakhaawi) is that we Muslims were commanded to differ from the people of the book."

* Believing that the night of the Prophet’s birth is better than the night of decree, or Al-Qadr as ruled by Al-Qastallaani, may Allaah have mercy upon him but Mullaa ‘Ali Qaari, may Allaah have mercy upon him refuted him by saying: "What Al-Qastallaani said is strange and unacceptable because Allaah has told us about the virtue of the night of Al-Qadr in the Qur’aan, Allaah says (that which translates as): “The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months” (Al-Qadr: 3) yet there is no evidence proving the virtue of the Prophet’s birthday in the Qur’aan, Sunnah or by any of the Muslim scholars."

* Extravagant spending during Al-Mawlid. Shaykh Muhammad Al-Mutee’i may Allaah have mercy upon him, said: "If only the people knew just how much the Faatimi people used to spend during this celebration, then they would definitely deem it to be unlawful."

* Some prohibitions of Al-Mawlid include:

- Using musical instruments, as is the case in some countries.

- Lack of respect of the Book of Allaah, due to the people combining its recitation with listening to music.

- Free mixing between men and women.

- Deeming that which is unlawful to be lawful and vice versa solely in order for it to be practiced on that night (Al-Mawlid).

- Narrating fabricated and extremely weak Ahaadeeth which was condemned by the falls in the saying of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam: “He who narrates something on my behalf suspecting that what he is saying might be a lie, is one of the liars.” (Bukhaari). He sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam also said: “Let he who intentionally and falsely attributes words to me expect his seat in Hell Fire.” (Bukhaari& Muslim).

- The false belief that during this night there is an hour in which supplications are not rejected by Allaah, and that anything a person asks for within this hour, will be granted by Allaah, just like the hour every Friday (which incidentally is substantiated in the Islamic texts).

- Reciting poetry and prose in praise of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam which borders on, and in some cases falls into clear Shirk.

adanshai

Regarding Umer (r.a)

please refer to the one of the many replies at

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/65572

The Caliph did not innovate anything - the night prayers in Ramadam is a proven sunnah - you can see many hadiths in Sahih Bukhari alone.

Regarding 'bidah' - please also search 'The Cistern of our Prophet' in Sahih Muslim - see if you can find good innovations or good innovators there .
if you do some simple searches in Quran and Sunnah you will come to only conclusion there 'innovation' is 'innovation' .

I apologize for my wording 'ISLAMIC CHRISTMAS' but it is true.

May Allah ALMIGHTY forgive us.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Yes, there is.

Umar (r.a) was asked about praying the tarawih in congregation. He said it is bid'ah but what a beautiful bid'ah it is.

And no, it is not Islamic version of Xmas. We don't call Muhammad (s.a.w) son of God, for one thing. Or pray to him.

Anyway, read my post in its entirety. I've listed some reasons cited by ulamas defending the practice of Maulid Rasul.

This is a common misconception.Tarawih were performed at the time of Rasool SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam. Umar radiAllahu anhu only put this act of ibadat back in to practice.

Hear the answer for yourself from the Sheikh.. "You could be very well be celebrating his death !"

[yt]ZwDJkL-Ywvs[/yt]

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
It is true that celebrating the Prophet's (s.a.w) birthday is considered a bid'ah (innovation) but it is a good bid'ah. Not all bid'ahs are automatically bad.

:salam2: brother,

Have you heard at the beginning of lectures " Kullu bidah min dalalah waa kullu dalatil fin nar" ?

*Every* innovation in religion is going astray and the going astray is in the fire.

So how is everything that is 'going in to the fire or the hell' can be classified in to good and bad ?

There is no good that comes out by going astray, does it ?

We supplicate in every rakah of the salah to Allah azz zawajal to save us from 'the path of those who evoked your anger and/or those who went astray'. Therefore we should avoid every bidah, because every bidah leads us to go astray.

I hope that my point is clear to you Insha'Allah.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

sanan khan

There is no birth day concept in islam. If it was good then why Sahaba did not celebrate Prophet's birthday whereas their understanding or knowlege of Islam was perfect. This is just innovation just like CHRISTMAS. Further there is no god or bad Bidah. it means alteration or introducing new thing in religion. Our Prophet in last sermon said your religion is completed. Now if our religion or deen have completed 1400 years ago then there is no space for any new thing in religion either GOOD or BAD.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
There is no birth day concept in islam. If it was good then why Sahaba did not celebrate Prophet's birthday whereas their understanding or knowlege of Islam was perfect. This is just innovation just like CHRISTMAS. Further there is no god or bad Bidah. it means alteration or introducing new thing in religion. Our Prophet in last sermon said your religion is completed. Now if our religion or deen have completed 1400 years ago then there is no space for any new thing in religion either GOOD or BAD.

just supporting what the brother said, im not sure if Prophet (PBUH) said that our deen is completed in his last sermon but Allah (swt) has told us right in the Quran

This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. (Al-Maaida: 3)

So since Allah (swt) has perfected our deen there is no roam for any bidah or innovatioin.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
4) Maulidur Rasul is permitted by the Ulamas based on what the Companions used to say

Imam As-Syafie wrote in "Faslun Fii Bayan Fadli Maulid Nabi (s.a.w) that Saidina Umar (r.a.) once said: "whosoever encourages (celebrates) Maulidur Rasul, he has raised the deen of Islam to a high level."

Saidina Usman (r.a.) once said: "Whosoever spends one dirham for Maulid Nabi (s.a.w), it's as if he had fought in Badr and Hunayn"

Is the hadeeth/saying above saheeh or munkar hadeeth?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Yes, there is.

Your trying to open up another front to argue about Mawlid. Before you cite your reasons here let me tell you those are not new and every one knows it.

Please read all the threads on TTI that are posted here about why Mawlid is Bidah.
Tell me is there something also like a good sin or a bad sin? or just sin is sin
And since your so supportive saying Ulemas have cited good bidah then take a look below for Ulemas how have also said bidah is bidah:

Is there a Bidah Husna (good Bidah) in Islam?
The fundamental argument of those who support the celebration of Mawlid an-Nabawi is that they refer to the celebration of Mawlid an-Nabawi as a 'Bidah Husna' for which they present arguments such as the saying of Umar t, 'What a good Bidah is this?', the gathering of the Qur'aan in one book and the collection of Hadeeth - which are explicitly refuted by Shaikh Salih al-Fawzan in the article. However, one of their main argument still remains unanswered that Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) said, 'He, who establishes/initiates a Sunnah Husna (good Sunnah) in Islam, he will have the reward of those who perform it after him until the Day of Judgment ' [Saheeh Muslim]

In a replying to this argument, Shaikh Fawzan says in a fatawa, '�Concerning the saying of Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam), '(the afore-mentioned Hadeeth)' This does not prove their stance because Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) did not say, 'Whosoever innovates a Bidah, rather he said, 'Whosoever initiates a good Sunnah' and Sunnah is the opposite of Bidah. Sunnah is something that is in agreement with the Qur'aan and the Sunnah and in agreement with the proof. So (the meaning of the Hadeeth is) he, who performs a Sunnah which is proved by the Qur'aan and the Sunnah; he will have the reward of it (his action) and the reward of those who perform it until the Day of Judgment. (Thus) Whoever revives a Sunnah and performs it for the people, and enlightens it before them, and they follow him then he will have the reward equal to theirs. The reason/context of the Hadeeth is well-known. When some needy people came to Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam), he was grieved to see their state and ordered and encouraged Sadaqah (charity). One man from the Sahabah stood up and gave in charity a huge amount and the people followed him because he took the first step. Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) said upon this, 'He, who (Sanna) establishes/initiates a Sunnah Husna (good Sunnah) in Islam, he will have the reward of those who perform it after him until the Day of Judgment ' [Saheeh Muslim] So, this man performed a Sunnah i.e., Sadaqah and helping the poor - Sadaqah is not a Bidah because it is ordered in the Qur'aan and the Sunnah So, it is a Sunnah Hasna He who revives a Sunnah and acts upon it and enlightens it for the people until they follow him, he will have the reward equal to their rewards.' [Al-Muntaqa min Fatawa Shaikh Salih ibn Fawzan al-Fawzan (1/173), fatawa no. 96]

Shaikh Saleh al-Uthaimeen explained the issue in these words, 'Bidah in Sharee'ah can be defined as 'worshiping Allah with that which is not legislated by Allah.' If you wish, you can say, 'Worshiping Allah with that which Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) and Khulafa ar-Rashidoon were not upon.'

The first definition is deduced from the verse, 'Or have they partners with Allah (false gods), who have instituted for them a religion which Allah has not allowed.' [(42): 21] and the second definition is deduced from the Hadeeth, 'Stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of my rightly guided Caliphs, cling to it firmly with your molar teeth. Beware of newly invented matters, for every new matter is an innovation and every innovation is misleading.' [At-Tirmidhee (2676)] So, anyone who worships Allah with that which Allah did not legislate or with that which Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) or the Khulafa ar-Rashidoon were not upon then he has innovated regardless or whether that worship is linked to the Names and Attributes of Allah or to His Orders or Sharee'ah. As far as the common practices or traditions are concerned, they are not called Bidah in Deen - it may be referred to as Bidah in the language but not in Deen and this is not the Bidah from which Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) has warned against.

There is no Bidah Husna in Islam, and the Sunnah Husna is that which is in agreement with the Sharee'ah and this includes that one may initiate a Sunnah, which means that one starts practicing the Sunnah (before others and others follow him), or he revives it after it has been forgotten, or he does something that may become a means for a legislated command. So, these are three things:

First: Applying (the ruling of initiating a) Sunnah upon one, who initiates an action. This meaning is proved by the intent behind the saying of Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam), which is encouragement towards Sadaqah unto the needy people who had come to Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam). So, the Prophet (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) encouraged and a man from the Ansar brought out gold for charity and Allah's Messenger (sallalalhu alaihi wa-sallam) said, 'He, who establishes/initiates a Sunnah Husna (good Sunnah) in Islam, he will have the reward of those who perform it after him until the Day of Judg ment ' [Saheeh Muslim] So, this man (Sanna) initiates practicing the action and he did not initiate (or innovate) in the Sharee'ah.

Second: A Sunnah that was forgotten is revived by someone who practices it is also called 'Sunna' (initiating) meaning 'revive'�

Third: To do something which is a means to performing a legislated command like building (Islamic) schools and publishing books this is not a worship in itself but since it is a means (to perform a legislated command) it is included in the Hadeeth of Allah's Messenger, 'He, who establishes/initiates a Sunnah Husna (good Sunnah) in Islam, he will have the reward of those who perform it after him until the Day of Judgment ' [Saheeh Muslim] [Majmoo Fatawa wa-Rasaa'el Fadhilatus-Shaikh Muhammad Salih al-Uthaimeen (291/2) fatawa no. 346]

Salem9022

SAHÂBAHS ATTITUDE TOWARDS INNOVATIONS

Amr ibn salmah said: We used to sit in front of Abdullah Ibn Masoud's house before the Fajr prayer, so that when he came out we would go with him to the Masjid. {one day} Abu Moosa al-Ash'aaree came and asked us: 'Did Abu Abdur Rahmaan (i.e. Ibn Masoud) leave yet? ' We answered: 'No.' So Abu Moosa al-Ash'aaree sat with us waiting for him. When he came out, we all stood up. Abu Moosa told him: "Oh, Abu Abdur Rahmaan! I recently saw something in the Masjid which I deemed to be evil, but all praise is for Allah, I did see anything except good "
Ibn Masoud then asked: "then What was it?"

Abu Moosa said: "You will see it if you stay alive. In the Masjid, I saw a group of people sitting in circles waiting for the Salââh. Each circle is led by a person. And every person in these circles carries small stones (pebbles). The leader of a circle would say: "Say 'Allah-u Akbar' a hundred times" so they would repeat Allah-u Akbar a hundred times; then he says "Say 'Laa ilaaha illallaah', a hundred times" so they would say Laa ilaaha illallaah a hundred times; then he would say: "Say 'Subhaanallah', a hundred times", they will say Subhana Allah a hundred times.

Then Ibn Masoud said: "What did you tell them?"
He said: 'I didn't say anything, I waited to hear your opinion."
Abdullah Ibn Masoud said: "Could you not order them to count their evil deeds, and assured them of getting their rewards."
Then Abdullah Ibn Masoud went ahead and we accompanied him. As he approached one of the circles, he said: "What is this that you are doing?"They said: "Oh! Abu Abdur Rahmaan, these are pebbles to count the number of times we say Allah-u Akbar, La ilaaha Illallah, and Subhaanallah."

He said: "Count your evil deeds, and I assure you that you are not going to lose anything of your rewards (Hasanat). Woe unto you, people of Muhammad, how quickly you go to destruction! Those are your Prophet's companions available, these are his clothes not worn out yet, and his pots are not broken yet. I swear by Whom my soul is in His Hands that you are either following a religion that is better than the Prophet's religion or you are opening a door of misguidance." They said: "We swear by Allah Almighty, oh, Abu Abdur Rahmaan, that we had no intention other than doing good deeds."

He said: "So what? How many people wanted to do good deeds but never got to do them? The Prophet of Allah has told us about people who recited the Qur'ân with no effect on them other than the Qur'ân passing through their throats. I swear by Allah, I am almost sure that most of you are from that type of people." Then he left them.umar Ibn Salamah (the sub narrator) said: "We saw most of the people of those circles fighting against us with the Khawaarij in the battle of An-Nahrawan."

-- Related by Ad-Daarimee and Abu Na'eim with an Authentic chain of narrations. Authenticated by saleem al-hilaalee in al-BID'AH (pp. 26-29)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided Caliphs after me; adhere to it and cling to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented thing (in the religion) is an innovation (bid’ah) and every innovation is misguidance.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; Al-Tirmidhi, no. 2676)

One of the early scholars, Al-Barbahari, one of the companions of Ahmed Ibn Hanbal, said,
“Beware of innovation, because every innovation started out as something small and resembling the truth and people were fooled by it and followed it until it became bigger and bigger and were trapped by it and it took them out of Islam.”

Status
Not open for further replies.