Can you please help me with this translation of a verse?

kaiser

Assalamualaikum,
I'm trying to learn Arabic from the Quran with the help of word-for-word translation but am stuck at this verse:

YUSUFALI: He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs.

I'm having problem with this part of the verse:
Wa 'Alqá Fī Al-'Arđi Rawāsiya 'An Tamīda Bikum

The translation says " 'lest' it should shake with you". I cannot find any negative in the Arabic. So how come its translated as "lest"? I'm sure one of the words must have multiple meanings, but I don't know. And the word-by-word translation also doesn't give the translation of any word as "lest", so I'm stumped.

Help me out please!

Assalamualaikum

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
tried to answer you with the text in arabic but the writing keep getting messed up for some reason.

cant go in details of e3rab, but "an tameeda bekoom" relates to the part of the verse you are asking about. "an" is harf nasb and in this sequence it means "so that it does not"

yaqubkhan

THE STRANGER
Assalamualaikum,
I'm trying to learn Arabic from the Quran with the help of word-for-word translation but am stuck at this verse:

YUSUFALI: He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs.

I'm having problem with this part of the verse:
Wa 'Alqá Fī Al-'Arđi Rawāsiya 'An Tamīda Bikum

The translation says " 'lest' it should shake with you". I cannot find any negative in the Arabic. So how come its translated as "lest"? I'm sure one of the words must have multiple meanings, but I don't know. And the word-by-word translation also doesn't give the translation of any word as "lest", so I'm stumped.

Help me out please!

Assalamualaikum

YH UR RIGHT ITS NOT LUST...ITS LEST THAT MEANS 'SO'....

SO IT SHOULD SHAKE WITH YOU...I DONT KNOW IF YOU UNDERSTAND URDU OR NOT...ITS REALY CLEAR THERE AND WILL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IT EASLY......

IT GOES LIKE THIS...IN ANOTHER TRANSLATION

He hath created the heavens without supports that ye can see, and hath cast into the earth firm hills, so that it quake not with you; and He hath dispersed therein all kinds of beasts. And We send down water from the sky and We cause (plants) of every goodly kind to grow therein.

LINK TO THIS TRANSLATION IS
http://www.quranexplorer.com/Quran/...ashid&Translation=Urdu-Jalandhry-Audio&Zoom=5

kaiser

I do understand urdu. I checked some grammar books and came to know that "an" is sometimes translated as "so that it should not" or "lest".

Thanks for the reply