Career/Accountancy

zarah

Islam
Staff member
:bismillah:

:salam2: siters & brothers,

I have a couple of questions to ask and Insha-Allah find answers!:biggrin:

1. Is working as an accountant haram? (I know working in a banking society is haram due to riba(Interest):astag: ,what about VAT/Revenue?)

2.Does it all depend on what you undertake as an Accountant/Finance assistant?:confused:

Jazzak-Allah khair

:wasalam: :)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam, an accountant might also have to deal with Riba.

As for VAT, and other things those are not interest but Government taxes, so its not haram to calculate those things. And Revenue is the money they make :) wont be a good accountant if you dont work that out.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=5334&ln=eng
Question:
If an accountant who works in a company, dealing with its budgets etc., refuses to write down or record riba (interest), they will throw him out and jobs are hard to find. Can this in any way be regarded as being forced to do something, or does he have to leave that job?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.​

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah preserve him, who replied as follows:
No, that is not a kind of being forced to do something.
Question:
You mean that the threat of being sacked is not a kind of being forced?
Answer:
It is not a kind of being forced, because this is not the only kind of work that Allaah created.
Question:
But from people’s experience, a man may look for work for a year or two years, with debts piling up all the time, and never finding any work in all that time. Could this be a reason for adopting a lenient attitude and allowing people to take this kind of work?
Answer:
No, this is not an excuse, because if it were, we could say that the poor man who needs money to build a house or get married would be allowed to deal with riba (and this is not the case). And Allaah knows best.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Working in banks in an Islamic country

Question:
Is it permissible to work in the banks that exist in Islamic countries that deal with riba?
My husband works in one of the banks that deal with riba, and he works as a systems operator on programs that have to do with technological and information management. His main job is to ensure that all the computer systems are working correctly, and installing new systems, and assisting the bank employees.
I know that interest is haraam, and that it is a major sin, but I have heard many opinions about working in banks, one of which I have heard is that “if your work is not directly involved with interest, and the bank has other sources of income apart from interest, then it is permissible to work in the bank.
This is the only source of income that we have been living on up till now. I hope that you can tell us whether the income we have gotten from this job is haraam or not.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

We ask Allaah to reward you with good for your keenness and efforts to find out the truth, and to help your husband to find permissible employment in which there is no sin.

Note that it is not permissible to work in riba-based banks at all, because that involves consuming riba, or writing it down, or witnessing it, or helping those who do that.

The major scholars have issued fatwas stating that working in riba-based banks is haraam, even if the job does not involve dealing with riba as such, e.g. guards, cleaners and other services. We will quote to you some of their fatwas, whilst also pointing out that your husband’s work is strongly connected to riba and to recording and documenting it, because as you say, his main job is to ensure that all the computer systems are working correctly, and installing new systems, and assisting the bank employees.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 15/41:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to work in a bank that deals with riba, even if the work that the Muslim does has nothing to do with riba, because he is giving the employees who do work with riba with what they need and he is helping them with their calculation of interest. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

[al-Maa’idah 5:2]

The Standing Committee (15/38) was asked: what is the ruling on working in the existing banks?

They replied:

Most of the transactions that are done nowadays involve riba, which is haraam according to the Qur’aan and Sunnah and the consensus of the ummah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ruled that whoever helps the one who consumes riba or pays it by writing it down for him or bearing witness to it, etc, is a partner of the one who consumes it and the one who pays it, and they are all cursed and expelled from the mercy of Allaah. In Saheeh Muslim and elsewhere it is narrated that Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba, the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said, “They are all the same.”

Those who work in banks are helping the owners of the banks by administering their operations, whether in writing or bearing witness, or transferring papers or handing over money, or doing other things that help those who deal in riba. Hence it is known that working in an existing bank is haraam. The Muslim should avoid that and should try to earn a living in a way that Allaah has permitted; and there are many such ways. He should fear Allaah his Lord, and not expose himself to the curse of Allaah and His Messenger.

And the Standing Committee (15/55) was asked:

(a) Is working in banks, especially in Muslim countries, halaal or haraam?

(b) Is there any specific section of the bank that is halaal, as many think, and if that is correct could you explain further?

They replied:

Firstly: working in banks that deal with riba is haraam, whether that is in a Muslim country or a kaafir country, because it involves cooperating in sin and transgression, which Allaah has forbidden as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

Secondly: There is no section in the riba-based bank that is exempt from this ruling according to what we know of the pure sharee’ah, because all the bank employees are cooperating in sin and transgression.

And the Standing Committee (15/18) was asked:

What is the ruling on working as a maintenance engineer for one of the electronics companies that deal with some of the riba-based banks, where the company sells equipment (calculators, cameras, telephones) to the bank, and tells us, as maintenance engineers, to go to the bank to service this equipment on a regular basis? Is this work haraam on the basis that the bank does its accounts and organizes its work on these machines, and are we thus helping them in sin?

They replied:

It is not permissible for you to work for companies that are as you described, because that involves cooperating in sin and transgression.

And it says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (15/48):

It is not permissible for a Muslim to work in banks that deal with riba, because that involves helping them to engage in riba-based transactions in one way or another, by writing them down, witnessing them, guarding the bank, etc. Helping them in that manner is cooperating in sin and transgression, which Allaah forbade when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: is it permissible to work for a riba-based organization as a driver or guard?

He replied:

It is not permissible to work for a riba-based organization even if you are a driver or a guard, because accepting employment with a riba-based organization implies that you approve of them, as whoever denounces something could not work to serve its interests. If he works to serve its interests, he must approve of it, and the one who approves of something haraam has a share in its sin. With regard to those who are directly involved in writing down transactions, transferring money, depositing money, etc, are undoubtedly dealing directly with something that is haraam. It was proven from the hadeeth of Jabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba, the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said, “They are all the same.”

From Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/401

And there are other well-known fatwas which forbid working in riba-based banks, no matter what the kind of work involved. Based on this, your husband has to repent to Allaah from what he has done in the past, and leave this work, seeking the help of Allaah, putting his trust in Him and being certain that He will grant him provision. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

We ask Allaah to make us independent by means of that which is halaal so that we will have no need of that which is haraam.

Islam Q&A

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
How could the Islamic states allow the development of riba-based banks?

Question:
I have read many fatwas which forbid dealing with banks that engage in riba, but I have a question: If these banks are haraam and dealing with them is haraam, how can they have been allowed to develop in the Islamic states?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

What is haraam is that which has been forbidden by Allaah and His Messenger, and what is halaal is that which has been permitted by Allaah and His Messenger.

Riba is haraam according to the Qur’aan, the Sunnah and the consensus of the ummah. Every institution or bank which is based on riba is subject to the declaration of war from Allaah and His Messenger, whether it is in a Muslim state or a kaafir state. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Be afraid of Allaah and give up what remains (due to you) from Ribaa (from now onward) if you are (really) believers.

And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allaah and His Messenger”

[al-Baqarah 2:278-279]

The fact that governments approve of the riba-based banks should not be taken as proof that these banks are permitted. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us that there will come a time when the people will permit that which Allaah has forbidden, such as adultery, alcohol and musical instruments. That does not mean that these haraam things will become permissible thereby.

The scholars have issued many warnings against these banks, and issued many fatwas stating that it is haraam to work in them without paying any attention to the fact that they are allowed by the state. They have often advised the governments of Muslim countries to ban these riba-based banks.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (15/51):

“Riba is haraam according to the Qur’aan, the Sunnah and scholarly consensus… working in banks that deal with riba is haraam… The fact that the government may approve of them or allow them to open banks or remains silent about that does not mean that it is permissible for the Muslim to deal with them. It is not permissible to work in these banks because the government does not possess legislative authority; rather legislative authority belongs to Allaah alone in His holy Book, or the Revelation that He sent to His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).”

And it also says (15/55):

“Working in banks that deal with riba is haraam, whether that is in a Muslim state or in a kaafir state, because it involves cooperating in sin and transgression, which Allaah has forbidden as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

[al-Maa'idah 5:2]

Shaykh Ibn Baaz said, after quoting some of the evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah that riba is haraam:

“This is some of the evidence from the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which explains that riba is haraam and the danger that it poses to the individual and to the ummah. Whoever deals in it enters into a state of war against Allaah and His Messenger. My advice to every Muslim is to be content with that which Allaah and His Messenger have permitted and to refrain from that which Allaah and His Messenger have forbidden. What Allaah has permitted is sufficient so that we have no need of that which Allaah has forbidden. We should not be deceived by the large number of riba-based banks and the spread of their dealings in every place. Many people no longer care about Islamic rulings, rather they care about making money by any means. That is only because of their weakness of faith and lack of fear of Allaah, and because of their love for this world. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.”

Majallat al-Bukhooth al-Islamiyyah, 6/310

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Islamic financial system

Question:
I would like to know,althought the islamic finance way is known no element of riba.But i after i studied the way how the islamic finance been use,i see that still have the element of riba.So can u explain is there still any element of riba in the islamic finance system?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Riba is emphatically forbidden in Islam. Allaah has condemned the one who does that and has declared war on him, and spoken of his bad end on the Day of Resurrection. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Those who eat Ribaa will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaytaan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: ‘Trading is only like Ribaa,’ whereas Allaah has permitted trading and forbidden Ribaa. So whosoever receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Ribaa, shall not be punished for the past; his case is for Allaah (to judge); but whoever returns (to Ribaa), such are the dwellers of the Fire — they will abide therein.

Allaah will destroy Ribaa and will give increase for Sadaqaat (deeds of charity, alms). And Allaah likes not the disbelievers, sinners”

[al-Baqarah 2:275, 276]

“O you who believe! Fear Allaah and give up what remains (due to you) from Ribaa (from now onward) if you are (really) believers.

And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allaah and His Messenger but if you repent, you shall have your capital sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and you shall not be dealt with unjustly (by receiving less than your capital sums)”

[al-Baraqah 2:278, 279]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba, the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said, “They are all the same.” Narrated by Muslim, 1598, from the hadeeth of Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him).

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A dirham of riba consumed knowingly by a man is worse before Allaah than committing zina thirty-six times.” Narrated by Ahmad and al-Tabaraani, classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 3375.

And there are other texts which point to the enormity and abhorrent nature of this crime.

The Islamic financial system does not approve of any transaction that includes riba, rather the sharee’ah forbids certain transactions so as to prevent the means that lead to riba.

Secondly:

The banks that exist nowadays are all riba based banks, with a few rare exceptions. Just because a bank is located in a Muslim country does not mean that it is an Islamic bank. Most of these banks are connected to Jewish and Crusader banks overseas. It is most regrettable that in the Muslim lands which are home to more than a billion Muslims there is no Islamic bank that is free from riba, apart from a few institutions.

So the decision makers among the Muslims have to pay due attention to this matter and establish an independent Islamic banking system. There are scholars and people who are able to work in this field, and there is a great deal of capital, praise be to Allaah.

Thirdly:

The true Islamic financial system is a system that is free of riba, because it is a system that is derived from the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Your saying in your question that you have noticed riba in financial transactions in the Islamic banks needs further explanation. Perhaps you think that some of these transactions involve riba when they do not.

We ask Allaah to set the Muslims’ affairs straight and to help those in authority to do what is right and proper. Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
He has been offered a job in a bank that deals in riba (interest)

Question:
I am working in a software development house. Recently I was offered by the company to go to XXX for on a one year contract. I showed my willingness to them. But after few days I was told that I will have to work for XXX Bank. I know its Haram to work for an interest based organization like a bank. Someone told me that in XXX there are some banks that do Islamic banking. I dont have much information about the bank. I have submitted some queries at some places but so far I havent received any reply. Can you please advise me whether I should work for XXX Bank or not as most probably they would be dealing with Interest based banking and I will be helping them in their job.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, it is as you say. The bank you mention does deal in riba (interest). We advise you to keep away from working there. We ask Allaah to give you strength and to help us and you adhere steadfastly to His religion.

============================
sorry about my long reply>>>>but i wanna Explain how it haram

<walsalam>