Central African Republic: Ethnic cleansing and sectarian killings

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
CAR-ethnic%20cleansing%20report%2012.02.14.jpg

International peacekeepers have failed to prevent the ethnic cleansing of Muslim civilians in the western part of the Central African Republic, Amnesty International said in a report issued today.

To protect the country’s remaining Muslim communities, international peacekeeping forces must break the control of anti-balaka militias and station sufficient troops in towns where Muslims are threatened.

“Anti-balaka militias are carrying out violent attacks in an effort to ethnically cleanse Muslims in the Central African Republic,” said Joanne Mariner, senior crisis response adviser at Amnesty International.

“The result is a Muslim exodus of historic proportions.”

Amnesty International criticized the international community’s tepid response to the crisis, noting that international peacekeeping troops have been reluctant to challenge anti-balaka militias, and slow to protect the threatened Muslim minority.

“International peacekeeping troops have failed to stop the violence,” said Donatella Rovera, senior crisis response adviser at Amnesty International.

“They have acquiesced to violence in some cases by allowing abusive anti-balaka militias to fill the power vacuum created by the Seleka’s departure.”

In recent weeks, Amnesty International has taken over 100 first-hand testimonies of large-scale anti-balaka attacks on Muslim civilians in CAR's northwest towns of Bouali, Boyali, Bossembele, Bossemptele, and Baoro. International troops had failed to deploy to these towns leaving civilian communities without protection.

The most lethal attack documented by Amnesty International took place on 18 January in Bossemptele, where at least 100 Muslims were killed. Among the dead were women and old men, including an imam in his mid-70s.

To escape the anti-balaka’s deadly attacks, the entire Muslim populace has fled from numerous towns and villages while in others, the few who remain have taken refuge in and around churches and mosques.

International concern over the sectarian nature of the violence in the CAR led the UN Security Council in December 2013 to authorize the deployment of peacekeeping forces to the country. Those forces—comprised of about 5,500 African Union troops, known as MISCA, and 1,600 French troops, known as “Sangaris”—have been deployed within Bangui and to several towns north and southwest of the capital.

Even in the PK 5 neighbourhood at the centre of Bangui's Muslim community, thousands of frightened people are packing up and leaving home.

The journey to safety is difficult and dangerous. Convoys are frequently attacked by anti-balaka militia.

A small boy called Abdul Rahman told Amnesty International how, on 14 January, the truck he was travelling on was stopped at an anti-balaka checkpoint. They demanded that all the Muslim passengers get off. Six members of his family were then killed: three women and three small children, including a toddler.

The current violence, hatred, and instability are a direct result of the human rights crisis that began in December 2012, when mostly Muslim Seleka forces launched an armed offensive that culminated in their seizure of power in March 2013. In power for nearly ten months, the Seleka were responsible for massacres, extrajudicial executions, rape, torture, and looting, as well as massive burning and destruction of Christian villages.

As the Seleka withdrew, the international forces allowed the anti-balaka militias to take control of town after town. The resulting violence and forcible expulsion of Muslim communities were predictable.

The waning power of the Seleka has not lessened their brutality as they leave. Even with their movement and operational capability significantly hampered, they have continued to carry out vicious attacks on Christian civilians and their property. Armed members of Muslim communities, acting independently or alongside Seleka forces, have also carried out brutal and large scale sectarian attacks on Christian civilians.

“The urgency of the situation demands an immediate response,” said Joanne Mariner. “It is time for the peacekeeping operation in CAR to protect the civilian population, deploy to threatened areas, and stop this forced exodus.”

Taken from: http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/cent...thnic-cleansing-sectarian-violence-2014-02-12

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Central African Republic: Tales of horror

“The anti-balaka came in, took my son Abdel to the market and shot him dead. I saw a group of anti-balaka coming towards my home and I crouched against the wall to show them that was not a threat. One of them shot me three times, twice in the abdomen and once in my right arm, and left me for dead.”

--Imam Mahajir, 76, who survived clashes between anti-balaka and armed Muslim civilians and remnants of Seleka forces in Bossemptele on 18 January.

“My father, Soba Tibati, could hardly walk and could not run away when the anti-balaka attacked our village. They decapitated him in front of my eyes as he sat on a straw mat under a tree outside our hut. Twelve other members of my family were also massacred in the same attack. The youngest was a baby girl who was just six months old.”

--Dairu Soba, survivor of an attack by anti-balaka fighters in Boyali on 8 January.

“It was prayer time when a large group of young men armed with machetes burst into our compound. Everything happened very quickly. They did not say anything; they just started to hit us with machetes. They struck my father, Sanu, and smashed his head, killing him on the spot, and they injured my mother, Fatimatu, and her sister Aichatu, who died of her injuries before she could reach the hospital. She left an eight-month-old baby girl, Ramatu.”
--The relative of several people killed by anti-balaka in Bouali, 100km north of Bangui on 17 January.

-----
Source Same as above.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Girl found amongst dead bodies after village massacre

An 11 year old Muslim girl has been found hiding alone in a village west of Bangui surrounded by bodies and without any food or water following a massacre four days ago.

The traumatised girl had been in hiding since the brutal killing of her parents and neighbours. Nearby, dogs were feeding on some of the corpses. The bodies of more than 20 villagers who had been left lying on the streets.

Amnesty International’s team found the girl in the village of Bouguere, west of Bangui, in the Central African Republic. She has been taken to a secure location.

“The girl was crouching in a corner in an abandoned, ransacked house. She was terrified and could barely speak. She had been hiding there since the massacre, four days before,” said Donatella Rovera, Senior Crisis Response Adviser at Amnesty International.

“She had not drunk or eaten anything and was too weak to even stand up. She was the only Muslim survivor in the village. The others had either fled or been killed.

“The horrific scene we found in the village of Bouguere is illustrative of the horrors tens of thousands of Muslims are experiencing across the Central African Republic.”

“If the international community is truly committed to stop any more massacres from taking place, it must ensure that peacekeeping forces are present where they are needed most. They must have the resources to carry out their mandate to protect civilians”

Taken From: http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/girl-survives-massacre-bougere-2014-02-14

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
'I'll be last Muslim in CAR'

A government minister in the Central African Republic, Gaston Makouzemba, has warned there is a risk of a genocide as communities fight each other on religious and ethnic lines. All communities have been affected by the violence and now many Muslims are fleeing the country, afraid for their lives. One imam in the capital Bangui shared his fears with the BBC's Newsday programme:

This spate of violence against Muslims started in December - they have been killing us with machetes and firearms. All the Muslims have taken refuge in one neighbourhood, known as Kilometre 5.

Muslims from other countries have already fled - take a look at my list: The Chadians have gone; the Cameroonians have gone; the Senegalese; the Nigeriens from Niger have gone; the Nigerians; the Malians have gone. Those that have been left behind are us, the Central Africans.

I was born and bred in Bangui - my father was a Central African, my mother was a Central African.

My family came to the capital in 1946, it was my parents' generation that cleared the bush in Kilometre 5 and turned it into an urban dwelling area.

The anti-balaka vigilantes have been targeting us. They've burned most of the mosques in the capital, only a handful of mosques remain untouched in our neighbourhood.

_72877555_33b6eceb-5ebc-4bd6-90e9-f129c476e05a.jpg

I don't want to leave Bangui, I want to be the last Central African Muslim to leave the country or at least the last Muslim to be buried here. This country is the last resting place of both my father and mother. 'Too dangerous'
It's fine if you are called John, Peter, Mary or Martin but things get ugly when you first name is Mohammed, Ousmane or Ibrahim - chances are you will end up in a hit list. This violence is waged by thugs calling themselves anti-balaka.
Bangui is losing its business community which is made up largely of Muslims - they've been ransacking Muslim shops.

Commodity prices have gone up, a bunch of salad will cost you 200 CFA Francs (40 cents; 25p) - twice as much as a little while ago. A bar of soap is worth 100 CFA Francs (20 cents; 13p), again twice as much as before.

Buying meat? Don't even think about it, there is none. The Fulani and nomadic Chadians that used to drive their cattle to Bangui have decided to head for Cameroon because there's too much violence here.

My wife and my children have left the country, it's too dangerous for them to stay with me. Only the male members of the Muslim communities have decided to stay and protect their possessions.

We Muslims of the Central African Republic cannot leave our country. If they want to kill us in Kilometre 5, our neighbourhood, so be it - we have no weapons but are ready to accept our fate because we believe in God and we are confident that God will protect us.

We watch [the French troops] patrolling along the main streets of the city but they will not come into our neighbourhood to protect us. We are alive only by the grace of God.
The imam has not been named in order to protect his personal security.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-26118809

Abu Juwairiya

To many people around the world, The Central African Republic is an unknown country, a place where little has been heard of and almost nothing recorded. To those more informed about its history, one person comes to mind, the Emperor Bokassa, who changed the nation's name to the Central African Empire. His crimes are said to vary and included cannibalism, arresting schoolchildren and placing them behind bars for refusing to wear the correct uniforms and feeding natives to crocodiles. The French government paid his expenses and later removed him when he looked as if he was becoming insane.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
I recently read an article on Yahoo about the troubles of this contry. May Allah help the Muslims. Its really sad whats happening. Muslims really need to unite, without unity and actually practising Islam nothing will change unfortunately. I was readimg the comments section and the things people were writing was disturbing! Majority of non Muslims hate us and are happy about every suffering and pain that happens to Muslims.

MeadowDust

They don't understand that Muslims are kind and loving, we don't want to harm others, we just want to live our lives in peace. Why are they seeing us as a threat? One thing about Muslims is their honour in protecting teachings of their religion that have to do with values. Our religion tells us to treat our neighbours with kindness, and the examples of our prophet Muhammad s.a.w are numerous. Islam is such a beautiful and cosy religion, it's so kind and understanding of the needs of others. Never see Muslims as a threat and be their friends, and then you will see how the Muslims will be there for you. Because as Muslims, people have to understand that we don't see this world as final. We truly believe that its a means for the next world, and that is why we are not selfish and when the true Muslims are kind to you, you can be sure that it is sincerity and we do not wish to gain anything in return.

I wish non Muslims will understand that about us, and I wish more Muslims will take their religion seriously and follow the teachings of the Qur'an and sunnah because that is the correct and true form of Islam that teaches kindness, and enjoins goodness.

Um Ibrahim

We Muslims are viewed as violent, non tolerant crazies because that's how the media presents us. It's hard to change people's minds after they read such filth. Almost every news article, they are talking about what a crazy terrorist Muslim has done and grouping all Muslims together. Anyway, I see all of this fight against the Muslims as nothing new. As I our Prophet said, Islam started as a strange religion and it will go back to being strange. We cannot please no one except Allah. So we just have to live our lives the best we can.

Precious Star

The problem is that actions speak far louder than words. If muslims are violent, then that is what the world sees. The problem is that when muslims are violent, fellow muslims do absolutely nothing to tell them that they are transgressing Islam. For example, parts of Sudan we know that muslims are butchering Christians, and we know that they have set fire to churches. Where was the outcry by other muslim countries? And it is not a question of "revenge" - I know a lot of you are going to say "well they burned mosques and killed muslims" BUT that is NOT the answer. Violence begets violence. That is the unfortunate way the world works but we as muslims have a choice -- we can stand for our principles. We can take the high road and instead of responding in "like" form, we punish muslims who give us a bad name. That is the solution. Otherwise, this vicious cycle will never, ever change, and with the world being a global village due to media, the internet, more access to international travel, etc, the problem will only get worse.

Um Ibrahim

The problem is that actions speak far louder than words. If muslims are violent, then that is what the world sees. The problem is that when muslims are violent, fellow muslims do absolutely nothing to tell them that they are transgressing Islam. For example, parts of Sudan we know that muslims are butchering Christians, and we know that they have set fire to churches. Where was the outcry by other muslim countries? And it is not a question of "revenge" - I know a lot of you are going to say "well they burned mosques and killed muslims" BUT that is NOT the answer. Violence begets violence. That is the unfortunate way the world works but we as muslims have a choice -- we can stand for our principles. We can take the high road and instead of responding in "like" form, we punish muslims who give us a bad name. That is the solution. Otherwise, this vicious cycle will never, ever change, and with the world being a global village due to media, the internet, more access to international travel, etc, the problem will only get worse.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Just look and pay attention to titles on news articles and news clips. When one Muslim person does something bad why are All Muslims blamed? We rarely hear any good news about Muslims. Muslims do speak out against bad Muslims. They report any bad criminal activity to the authorities but you rarely hear that in the media.

When a non Muslim commits crimes he or she is given excuses; but there can never ever be a Muslim who does something because of mental illness or out of their own will. Islam is what is attacked automatically.

Precious Star

I'm sorry but I disagree. Just look and pay attention to titles on news articles and news clips. When one Muslim person does something bad why are All Muslims blamed? We rarely hear any good news about Muslims. Muslims do speak out against bad Muslims. They report any bad criminal activity to the authorities but you rarely hear that in the media.

When a non Muslim commits crimes he or she is given excuses; but there can never ever be a Muslim who does something because of mental illness or out of their own will. Islam is what is attacked automatically.

The problem is that the muslim wrongdoer cites the name of Allah and Islam while committing the crime.

That is why in the eyes and ears of the non-Muslim public, they associate violence with Islam.

If the muslim wrongdoer kept Islam/Allah/AllahuAkbar etc out of the entire equation, then the issue of religious motivation would be kept out of it. THAT is the point I was trying to make. It is never a benign association, it is always a loaded one.

To_Allah_i_belong

To_Allah_i_belong

Indeed. In the media always Islam will have the bad picture, you never wonder why? Because it is the religion of truth, so Satan and his worshippers will always attack it. That is the aim of the Illuminati. They are brainwashing people through media to raise the hate against muslims and so that people do not see the reality about Islam. Coz if they did, they will definately be saved. And they not want that. We all sin, muslims are not perfect either but when it comes to muslims its always a big issue in the media and it's everyones concern. Honestly, i do not pay much attention about what media has to say about Islam. These people own the media. So i do not expect less. What i do know is whatever is being said about Islam, it is the best religion but only the wise can understand that in deep. May Allah guide us all in the straight path. Believers and non believers. As for some they do not know what they are standing for and are still ignorant. May Allah unblock their views so they see the truth about the religion of mercy and compassion so they can repent In shaa Allah.

Precious Star

Indeed. In the media always Islam will have the bad picture, you never wonder why? Because it is the religion of truth, so Satan and his worshippers will always attack it. That is the aim of the Illuminati. They are brainwashing people through media to raise the hate against muslims and so that people do not see the reality about Islam. Coz if they did, they will definately be saved. And they not want that. We all sin, muslims are not perfect either but when it comes to muslims its always a big issue in the media and it's everyones concern. Honestly, i do not pay much attention about what media has to say about Islam. These people own the media. So i do not expect less. What i do know is whatever is being said about Islam, it is the best religion but only the wise can understand that in deep. May Allah guide us all in the straight path. Believers and non believers. As for some they do not know what they are standing for and are still ignorant. May Allah unblock their views so they see the truth about the religion of mercy and compassion so they can repent In shaa Allah.

You must pay attention to what is said in the media, so that you are kept informed about what is going on.

Otherwise, how can you change things? When you see a video of a man saying he has attacked others in the name of Islam, why ignore that? You need to pay attention in order to condemn, and to encourage positive change.

The public says muslims sit back and allow other muslims to commit crimes. Why allow them the opportunity to say that? Why not prove them wrong?

To_Allah_i_belong

Exactly! And how do we prove them wrong? By our attitude towards it. The way we respond is very important. How would the prophet SAW respond to this kind of situation? We should follow how he SAW dealt with situations wisely. They are looking for us, and by us reacting in rage and anger, we are crediting them. Most of those kind of news in the media is not even true about muslims. They just put the blame on muslims. It is a way of attacking muslim countries and society. Its politics, as i said brainwashing people.

Precious Star

Exactly! And how do we prove them wrong? By our attitude towards it. The way we respond is very important. How would the prophet SAW respond to this kind of situation? We should follow how he SAW dealt with situations wisely. They are looking for us, and by us reacting in rage and anger, we are crediting them. Most of those kind of news in the media is not even true about muslims. They just put the blame on muslims. It is a way of attacking muslim countries and society. Its politics, as i said brainwashing people.

I'm not sure if everything is just a concoction of the media. The fact is, thousands of women and children have died in the civil war in Syria. The refugee count in Lebanon has reached 1million. Is this a media concoction? Would the Prophet have simply walked away, or, would he have ordered his own army to march in and restore peace and stability? If so, why aren't Muslim nations banding together and putting an end to the violence and suffering in Syria?

I am just using Syria as an example, not to make it the subject of this thread.

To_Allah_i_belong

I'm not sure if everything is just a concoction of the media. The fact is, thousands of women and children have died in the civil war in Syria. The refugee count in Lebanon has reached 1million. Is this a media concoction? Would the Prophet have simply walked away, or, would he have ordered his own army to march in and restore peace and stability? If so, why aren't Muslim nations banding together and putting an end to the violence and suffering in Syria?

I am just using Syria as an example, not to make it the subject of this thread.
I am sorry sister but i am not just walking away. Yes the prophet SAW would do so if Allah SWT gave him the permission to do so. At the point u have stated it is a different case. Many muslim countries have experienced pain and suffering in the past few years but none is trying to help and put a term to that. As Um Ibrahim said no unity. And that is what we should change. Before at the time of the prophet SAW when a person would see a muslim brother he would be so happy, giving him the salam, asking how he is. And if he was a traveller or new in town he would even propose him to go with him at his house for shelter. Is this the case today? Muslims do not have such affection between themselves anymore. But guys we can change this! If all the muslims in the world were following the sunnah and try to guide their muslims brothers and sisters and conveying the information to all that needs it; the world would be a different place. People would be different. But it's not too late. We can still change this. It may seem inpossible but don't take it for granted. We may be few here. I know there are many out there doing that. And by the help of Allah SWT we will restore such hearts and behaviors as the time of the prophet. And we will all be united. There no one will mess with any of us coz we will protect one another. A concern of one is a concern for all. Kheir In shaa Allah

MeadowDust

When the Muslims migrated to Madina during the prophet's pbuh time, it was because of the oppression they were facing. Were they put in refugee camps? No. The Muslims of Madina welcomed them as brothers, shared their dwellings with them, gave them their possessions, and shared businesses with them. If we can't go and fight in these war torn countries, then at least the Muslims can welcome them like the Ansaars did to the Muhajiroon. That is the attitude we need to adopt as a whole. If Muslims neighbouring Syria (and similar countries) did that, then imagine how the crises could be turned around. This is what we need to do, lend out a sincere helping hand, and give this type of example for others to do so that we can achieve this on a large scale in sha Allah.

MehmetHilmi

What is the Illuminati? A lot of people bring that up. You know there are some Middle Eastern Muslim owned media outlets that report the same news stories that Western outlets report. Or should we not believe in them either. Should we as Muslims live in our own little worlds and make an excuse for our wrongs using silly conspiracies. Why are we so scared to face our problems head on?

As for the violence in Central Africa, May Allah help the poor Muslims being slaughtered. WHy is no one helping them? The Royal Saudi family lives in Marble mansions while the poor of Africa are crawling in mud and blood.