Chomsky: My reaction to Osama Bin Laden's Death

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death

May 6, 2011

It’s increasingly clear that the operation was a planned assassination, multiply violating elementary norms of international law. There appears to have been no attempt to apprehend the unarmed victim, as presumably could have been done by 80 commandos facing virtually no opposition—except, they claim, from his wife, who lunged towards them. In societies that profess some respect for law, suspects are apprehended and brought to fair trial. I stress “suspects.” In April 2002, the head of the FBI, Robert Mueller, informed the press that after the most intensive investigation in history, the FBI could say no more than that it “believed” that the plot was hatched in Afghanistan, though implemented in the UAE and Germany. What they only believed in April 2002, they obviously didn’t know 8 months earlier, when Washington dismissed tentative offers by the Taliban (how serious, we do not know, because they were instantly dismissed) to extradite bin Laden if they were presented with evidence—which, as we soon learned, Washington didn’t have. Thus Obama was simply lying when he said, in his White House statement, that “we quickly learned that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by al Qaeda.”

Nothing serious has been provided since. There is much talk of bin Laden’s “confession,” but that is rather like my confession that I won the Boston Marathon. He boasted of what he regarded as a great achievement.

There is also much media discussion of Washington’s anger that Pakistan didn’t turn over bin Laden, though surely elements of the military and security forces were aware of his presence in Abbottabad. Less is said about Pakistani anger that the U.S. invaded their territory to carry out a political assassination. Anti-American fervor is already very high in Pakistan, and these events are likely to exacerbate it. The decision to dump the body at sea is already, predictably, provoking both anger and skepticism in much of the Muslim world.

It’s like naming our murder weapons after victims of our crimes: Apache, Tomahawk… It’s as if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes “Jew” and “Gypsy.”​
__________________​

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic. Uncontroversially, his crimes vastly exceed bin Laden’s, and he is not a “suspect” but uncontroversially the “decider” who gave the orders to commit the “supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole” (quoting the Nuremberg Tribunal) for which Nazi criminals were hanged: the hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, destruction of much of the country, the bitter sectarian conflict that has now spread to the rest of the region.

There’s more to say about [Cuban airline bomber Orlando] Bosch, who just died peacefully in Florida, including reference to the “Bush doctrine” that societies that harbor terrorists are as guilty as the terrorists themselves and should be treated accordingly. No one seemed to notice that Bush was calling for invasion and destruction of the U.S. and murder of its criminal president.

Same with the name, Operation Geronimo. The imperial mentality is so profound, throughout western society, that no one can perceive that they are glorifying bin Laden by identifying him with courageous resistance against genocidal invaders. It’s like naming our murder weapons after victims of our crimes: Apache, Tomahawk… It’s as if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes “Jew” and “Gypsy.”

There is much more to say, but even the most obvious and elementary facts should provide us with a good deal to think about.
Noam Chomsky is Institute Professor emeritus in the MIT Department of Linguistics and Philosophy. He is the author of numerous best-selling political works. His latest books are a new edition of Power and Terror, The Essential Chomsky (edited by Anthony Arnove), a collection of his writings on politics and on language from the 1950s to the present, Gaza in Crisis, with Ilan Pappé, and Hopes and Prospects, also available as an audiobook.

abu'muhammad

Assalaamu alaykum,
Liked it too. May be Its Good to know that there are speakers/writers in west who likes to convey the truth of US and western foreign policies. especially putting the comparision for the situation of US president as in accordance to the Nuremberg trial ! The Nazi topsters committed suicides knowing probably what’s going to happen as on being caught alive or to be facing tribunals. But what the US president would think/do instead, having been put into the same situation ?

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all
Noam Chomsky - Green Snake Numero Uno! What most people do not know is that Chomsky is a devoted and Emotional Zionist Jew who had made plans to move with his Jewish family to Palestine feeling entitled to be a colonizer of Arabs based on his 'Jewishness'.
He was for sanction and for boycott against apartheid South Africa, but not against his own people! Watch out!

he is not entirely honest in his articles he may criticise others but hardly touches the zionists & Israel- he displays a false honesty in his articles. he may say something about them but you can be sure theres 10 things he conveniently left out.
if you want to see a jew who is honest- go to henrymakow.com
he is a Canadian based jew who tells it like it is.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

justoneofmillion

salaams to all
Noam Chomsky - Green Snake Numero Uno! What most people do not know is that Chomsky is a devoted and Emotional Zionist Jew who had made plans to move with his Jewish family to Palestine feeling entitled to be a colonizer of Arabs based on his 'Jewishness'.
He was for sanction and for boycott against apartheid South Africa, but not against his own people! Watch out!

he is not entirely honest in his articles he may criticise others but hardly touches the zionists & Israel- he displays a false honesty in his articles. he may say something about them but you can be sure theres 10 things he conveniently left out.
if you want to see a jew who is honest- go to henrymakow.com
he is a Canadian based jew who tells it like it is.

jazakallah
:salam2:Yes,Allah knows best akhi.Chomsky has been banned from entering the Zionist state exactly because he criticizes Them in the most direct fahion possible.

Noam Chomsky Banned From Israel
Monday, 17 May 2010, 3:53 pm
Press Release: Association for Civil Rights in Israel

Noam Chomsky Banned From Israel

The Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI) on Sunday strongly condemned the Interior Ministry's decision to deny entry to American linguistics professor Noam Chomsky.

"The decision to prevent an individual from expressing his or her views by denying entry is characteristic of a totalitarian regime," said ACRI Attorney Oded Feller. "A democratic state, which considers freedom of expression a guiding principle, does not close itself off to criticism or uncomfortable notions, and does not refuse entry to visitors whose views it does not accept, but rather deals with them through public discourse."

Chomsky is a vociferous critic of Israel in addition to espousing controversial views on a range of issues.

[yt]d_uHb92qGp4[/yt]

Take care.
Wassalamu Aleikum.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The trouble with Henry Makow's site is some of the opinions of the other contributors. They are sexist and racist. There is a mixed agenda. And it is not in the interest of many people.

msmoorad

mommys boy
Assalaam walaikum,

The trouble with Henry Makow's site is some of the opinions of the other contributors. They are sexist and racist. There is a mixed agenda. And it is not in the interest of many people.

salaams to all

they are NOT sexist, they do discuss the harms of the so-called feminist movement/womens lib and how its just an excuse to break down the family unit.
please show me one article that was sexist- i go to his site almost everyday and although i dont agree entirely with some of the articles i have yet to see one thats 100% sexist- maybe one or two lines have something that might be construed as such but please show me an entire article thats sexist.

and, the benefits outweigh the "harms"- if i had to compare his sites content to that on other sites, he always speaks the truth.

as for racism - he is giving others a platform to express themselves- i also dont agree with some of the articles regarding race-esp where they say that immigration must be stopped/curbed as too many non whites are now living in the west and soon the white race will be outnumbered in Europe & N. America.

but if i compare that to the watered down, namby pamby nonsense on other sites, it still worth it.
if you feel so strongly about it, why dont you write an article and im sure if its sensible enough, Mr Makow will publish it on his site- he has asked me a few times if i would consider writing something for the site- he said he will send me one of his books a payment.
i do comment on the articles that i feel deserve a comment from me but im not the type to write a complete article.
somehow, i sense you do have that in you.

PS- which sites do you visit regularly for news etc?
i go the ffg.:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=latestNews
http://www.henrymakow.com/
http://rehmat1.wordpress.com/
http://www.uruknet.info/

jazakallah

A-believer-25

:salam2:

I am curious, does the United States even have definite prove that it was Osama Bin Laden who was behind those 9/11 attacks? They say that Osama "confessed", but when did he confess? It seemed to me that they made no attempts to capture him alive to put him on trial to find out the truth of all of this. It seemed like they planned on killing him from the start regardless if he was armed or unarmed. I just feel like there is something strange going in here...

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
It’s increasingly clear that the operation was a planned assassination, multiply violating elementary norms of international law. There appears to have been no attempt to apprehend the unarmed victim, as presumably could have been done by 80 commandos facing virtually no opposition—except, they claim, from his wife, who lunged towards them.

Assalamu allaicum wa rahamtulalh wa barkatuhu

Jazzak Allah khayran

It seems that over time, states that the sole aim was only assassination of Osama Bin Laden but not his arrest, become more and more truthful. And how time passes image will be more clearer.

Wa allaicumu sallam wa raahmtullah wa barakatuhu

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
salaams to all

http://www.henrymakow.com/

jazakallah

Wa allaicumu sallam wa rahmatullah wa baraaktuhu

Dear brother it seems that the site you have shared has very "diverse content", but in one very negative way. Personaly I would not recomended it to any Muslim, and Allah knows the best.

Jazzak allah khair

Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We have to remember through out history we have to have an enemy to justify oppression.

The US has become a Zionist state. The citizens of the US are never told the truth. TV is owned by the Zionists. The President is owned by the Zionists.
Muslims are the easy enemy. Most Muslims live in the land the Zionist wants.

Go figure: there is a lot of information out there. Read and make up your mind. If one plus one does not add to two something is wrong in the picture. Why has the official story changed so many times.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
if you want to see a jew who is honest-

Assalamu alaykum

Really these sort of racist comments are really not welcome here. I believe you should assess the way you write. Your comment is offensive in that it promotes intolerance. There are many people who view this website from different backgrounds, Christian, Jewish and from other faiths. They are sincere and wish to learn about Islam. The last thing they need to see are these sort of comments.

Many reverts on this website are former Jews. How do you think it would make them feel, that they may have been looked down upon or seen to be liars by a fellow Muslim? This is just ridiculous and far from the truth.

Our Prophet :saw: used to buy and eat the meat of Jewish people, he used to visit their sick. We learn to respect Jews and Christians as "People of the Book".

Our problems are with those who oppose the freedoms and rights of the Palestinian people. Not all Jews are Zionists. You should have written about the problems of Chomsky without the sweeping generalisations.

If you are going to be part of a Muslim website which is centered around helping people of diverse backgrounds to learn about Islam, then you please better put yourself in the shoe of an "ambassador for Islam". We should speak and behave according to the teachings of Islam.

Even if there were no ex-Jewish reverts, and even if no Jews or Christians read this site, it would still be wrong to make such statements and it is not in accordance with the Islamic teachings.

wasalamu alaykum

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

If someone has something of note to say then hear them out, after which if there is reason to prove them wrong or disbelieve in what they say then you should reply within the context of what they said.

Even if, e.g. a polytheist, said the grass is green, you can't dispute that the grass is green! Just because the person saying it happens to be Jew or Christian doesn't mean its a conspiracy either.

As Muslims we should have the ability to say what is right amidst a whole list of wrong things, in spite of those.

I'm calling for more subtlety in our judgements of individuals and the written word.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

As this is an Islamic website we have to be polite.

The alternative media is certainly not being polite. They are calling a spade a spade. It is about time.

( at least in the US many are angry at the Zionists and the faiths they practice..they have us in this mess and they are using colorful words)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

If you look for honest jew, then look Mordechai Vanunu. He spent 18 in zionist jail because he told true about nuclear plants of zionist to the world.

Later he reverted to Christianity and still be in state arrest in zionist state after 1986 when he was kidnapped by zionist security operation.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

There are good Jewish people. There are good human beings in Israel. They are standing up for truth. May Allah reward them.

Now, there are some nasty Zionists out there. What is sad are the idiots who are their slaves. I have no difficulty with the Zionists. They tell it like it is. They want total world domination. They are the Chosen Ones so nothing they do is wrong. It is the idiots who do the dirty work..the house slave..I can not abide.

Wake up sheeple. You who do the dirty work and spread hate. You who kill your own kind for the love of the master. You want an easy life and turn your face. You who hates because the master told you to hate. And the funny thing is the master hates you, too.

Get this the APR on some credit cards is going to 30% in July. Suck you until you die.

msmoorad

mommys boy
Assalaam walaikum,

There are good Jewish people. There are good human beings in Israel. They are standing up for truth. May Allah reward them.

Now, there are some nasty Zionists out there. What is sad are the idiots who are their slaves. I have no difficulty with the Zionists. They tell it like it is. They want total world domination. They are the Chosen Ones so nothing they do is wrong. It is the idiots who do the dirty work..the house slave..I can not abide.

Wake up sheeple. You who do the dirty work and spread hate. You who kill your own kind for the love of the master. You want an easy life and turn your face. You who hates because the master told you to hate. And the funny thing is the master hates you, too.

Get this the APR on some credit cards is going to 30% in July. Suck you until you die.

salaams to all

yes.
not all Jews are zionists & not all zionists are jews.
the problem arises when the jews remain silent & dont speak out against their zionist brothers.
there are just a handful who actively speak out.
i agree that we need to be careful as we are supposed to be ambassadors fo Islam but why beat around the bush?
the jews who have converted to islam & even those who have not yet done so, all know the reality of what im saying.
there are many amongst the so called Christians & Jews who masquerade as one of them but in reality, they worship Shaitaan/Lucifer/the Devil himself.

they hide behind their brethren who, by remaining silent, get painted by the same brush. then they cry"anti-semitism"
what a joke- as most of the Jews are NOT semites.

jazakallah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We are not the ones who beat around the bush. But the issue is a two edged sword.

We, Muslims, have to appreciate each other more. We have to make sure we are not divided as being house or field slaves. I am proud to be from the field. I am free. Ain't nothin in the house I want..I do not want anything that belongs to the masta. My Master has promised me more.

We have Muslims who are wishing for the items in the house of the masta. We have to educate them. We have to become stronger as a single unity ( love that term).

Sometimes as I read responses by the brothers and sisters here on TTI I understand that many know little of the facts of what is really going on out there. We need to educate everyone.

I have screamed this so much until I can no longer scream: People..sheeple do you not understand what they are wishing upon Muslims is going to happen to you, too. Who in the world made you think you are amongst the chosen ones.

The Zionists are open. They have told the world the Earth belongs to them. They will not share. They will have the goyem do the donkey work. And when the work is finished are they really going to be needed? Wake up sheeple.

Islam is the answer for oppression. We Muslims have to accept this in our unified soul. The daily practice of our faith as exemplified by our Prophet, may the blessings of Allah be upon him.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

I wonder why everyone should even have reaction about death of one man?

Good to show to media they have some opinion.

What is your opinion about Mahmoud Az-Zatma?

He was killed affected by his injuries infected him by the Zionist shelling targeted him along Tayseer Abu Snaima and Mohammed Awaja in Rafah city on Saturday, 9/4/2011. He was martyred after a long bright path of jihad, hard work, struggle and sacrifice.

World news that your brother became shaheed?