Choosing The Right Thing With A Huge Loss

lightofnur

Assalammualaikum everyone.

I'm typing this because I'm actually torn between the choices I've made and sad because it has cost me something big. At the same time, there's acceptance in me, because I did this for Allah only.

Well, to make it short, I was offered a place for a professional degree course with absolute confirmation, even though I'm not technically eligible for it as of yet. There were only very few spots available and I was asked to choose in 30 minutes. I understood, though, that the agent and my family member had gotten it for me through illegal means (in the sense that logically speaking, I would have to complete an actual full course and earn very high marks before being able to enter). It was the chance of a life time for me, but in my heart there was only Allah. I wondered how uncomfortable I would feel knowing that I had used deception, and how I would disappoint Allah. So I rejected the offer despite vehement protests from certain family members.

Ultimately, I lost the chance to do my long-dreamt-of professional course because I felt it was wrong. Of course, I was scolded badly and rebuked a few times today, and I'm starting to feel this is just the beginning seeing that I might not be able to enter 2 other prestigious places I applied for (since the competition is VERY VERY high, believe me), and that's my professional degree thrown out of the window. In other words, I have to start over with another course. The only "confirmed" road as my family member said, was by accepting the offer, which I rejected.

I try to sooth myself thinking of many sayings of the Prophet and the words of the Al-Qur'an, and it helps me. But I can't help crying a little when people rebuke me and remind me of my "mistake" all over again. This might probably go on for a few months, knowing one of my family members (not predicting the future!).

So my simple request . . . can you brothers/sisters please keep me in your du'as so that I may be successful in achieving my dream degree and so that I may be strong?

This whole affair has taught me the power of du'as and the effort we take for our brothers and sisters. My last question, how do I make du'as for those who request them on this forum? Do we address them one by one, or do we just say to Allah, "Oh Allah, please relieve the pain of my brothers and sisters in Islam, to those who have requested it ... " etc. (in our own words)?

May Allah Bless and Love you always. I will definitely remember you all in my du'as, Insha'Allah. Thanks very, very much. I'll be needing all the strength I can get. :')

JenGiove

:salam2: Dear Sister, you did the correct thing. If you are to earn a spot in your chosen field or school, it should be on YOUR merits and not because someone else called in a favor...or worse.

What of the child who receives an "A" on a report card from school but deserves only a "C"? The child does not value the grade and he doesn't learn how manage the fortitude it took to EARN that grade. He has lost a valuable lesson. You did the right thing!

I'm proud of you. You stayed honest and THAT is valued by Allah. In the end, when this Dunya ends, HE is the one you have to answer to, not the people in this life such as parents and friends. Hold your head high and tell them to all go eat cheese!

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:
MashaAllah sister your post inspired me to correct myself.Sister,what you did was right,not many people have such courage but Allah hu Akber.If it was for Allah's sake it would'nt go in vain inshaAllah.People see,what is apparent.Majority of us today,will say contrary things to what is right,few stand up and act on what is right,you did that.
In Surah Mulk Allah says He created life and death so that He may test which of one are best in deeds.Also this worldly life is worth nothing and is going to end::
Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion.(surah hadid verse 20)
It always changes (life) and inshaAllah Allah will replace is with something better and people will forget this,they might say things because humans love the immediate.As muslims we understand whatever happens is the will of Allah and submit to it,thus we acquire peace and others who dont believe in this are always stressed and regret.Sacrifices get us closer to Allah and increase His love.Trials and test do as well.Everyone of us should try to please Allah rather than pleasing people,because Allah is the Greatest .
[yt]7ehKlfNF47s[/yt]

Ameen to your duas.
May Allah grant us tawfeeq to please Allah rather than people.Ameen
May Allah make it easy for you and accept your actions and prayers.Ameen
As for your question,I too would like to know the answer,I usually say "those who have requested for prayer,grant their prayer.Ameen."I hope someone answer the question,inshaAllah.

:wasalam:

lightofnur

:salam2: Dear Sister, you did the correct thing. If you are to earn a spot in your chosen field or school, it should be on YOUR merits and not because someone else called in a favor...or worse.

I felt the EXACT way. I didn't feel like spoiling the future of a deserving candidate just so that I could get what I wanted.

What of the child who receives an "A" on a report card from school but deserves only a "C"? The child does not value the grade and he doesn't learn how manage the fortitude it took to EARN that grade. He has lost a valuable lesson. You did the right thing!

I'm proud of you. You stayed honest and THAT is valued by Allah. In the end, when this Dunya ends, HE is the one you have to answer to, not the people in this life such as parents and friends. Hold your head high and tell them to all go eat cheese!

Thanks so much! :')
This really touched my heart. And honestly, that is what I keep thinking about after the whole ordeal. That this world is temporary and the Hereafter is eternal. And there should be no choice.

MashaAllah sister your post inspired me to correct myself.Sister,what you did was right,not many people have such courage but Allah hu Akber.If it was for Allah's sake it would'nt go in vain inshaAllah.People see,what is apparent.Majority of us today,will say contrary things to what is right,few stand up and act on what is right,you did that.
In Surah Mulk Allah says He created life and death so that He may test which of one are best in deeds.Also this worldly life is worth nothing and is going to end::

Thank you so much for your kind words. :) I read this and I felt better inside. Although I'm not as brave as you have mentioned, the only thought was of Allah, so I feel like I've done at least something. And I was really pleased to see that at least this ordeal inspired someone. Good for you, Alhamdulillah!

It always changes (life) and inshaAllah Allah will replace is with something better and people will forget this,they might say things because humans love the immediate.As muslims we understand whatever happens is the will of Allah and submit to it,thus we acquire peace and others who dont believe in this are always stressed and regret.Sacrifices get us closer to Allah and increase His love.Trials and test do as well.Everyone of us should try to please Allah rather than pleasing people,because Allah is the Greatest .
[yt]7ehKlfNF47s[/yt]

Thanks you for that video! Because humans love the immediate.
I agree so much. I think all of this despair stemmed from the thought of the immediate. My family doesn't understand that there will be something greater, eternal and not immediate that they will have to face if they continue. Nau'zubillah. I feel lighter after reading your post. Thanks so much again.

Ameen to your duas.
May Allah grant us tawfeeq to please Allah rather than people.Ameen
May Allah make it easy for you and accept your actions and prayers.Ameen
As for your question,I too would like to know the answer,I usually say "those who have requested for prayer,grant their prayer.Ameen."I hope someone answer the question,inshaAllah.

Thank you so much! I hope this becomes a reality. May Allah Bless the two who have taken effort in answering!

Can anyone answer about the du'a part?

JenGiove

Can anyone answer about the du'a part?

:salam2: Dear sister,

This is my non-Muslim opinion so as such, you need to take it for what it's worth. Allah gave you a heart for a reason. From it flows compassion and love. Follow it and you can never stray too far from Allah for true love comes from Him. Pray for an individual, pray for the whole or do both..it matter not when love is present.

Abu Ameerah

Peace Be Upon All of You, Brothers and Sisters

Allaho Akbar, Hasbonallaaho Wa ni'mal Wakeel. حسبنا الله و نعم الوكيل
Sister in Islam, you have done the right thing and your sacrifice by choosing Allah will not go in Vain...It's a Treasure that you'll have it in the life hereafter (insha Allah). May Allah make you strong and replace it with better one.

lightofnur

Wa'alaikumussalam all.

:salam2: Dear sister,

This is my non-Muslim opinion so as such, you need to take it for what it's worth. Allah gave you a heart for a reason. From it flows compassion and love. Follow it and you can never stray too far from Allah for true love comes from Him. Pray for an individual, pray for the whole or do both..it matter not when love is present.

I think we can all agree with the general opinion here, and this is a beautiful truth. Allah did say, "Call me and I will respond to you". :) Thank you.

can i just ask what degree it was?

I'm sorry ... I have to limit the amount of what I say on the web even if this really is harmless. I wouldn't like to lengthen my explanation of the problem, because sometimes I feel like I should tell what I need to and no more ... I'm really sorry, but thanks for asking anyways. :) Let's just put it at ... its a professional degree equivalent to the "big ones" we see out there. :)

Allaho Akbar, Hasbonallaaho Wa ni'mal Wakeel. حسبنا الله و نعم الوكيل
Sister in Islam, you have done the right thing and your sacrifice by choosing Allah will not go in Vain...It's a Treasure that you'll have it in the life hereafter (insha Allah). May Allah make you strong and replace it with better one.

Alhamdulillah ... :) Thanks for your words. I'll be needing a lot of courage when it all goes down after this. My family members will never understand, no matter how much I tell them. They sometimes see me like a weird stranger when I voice these things out. Not all, though. It just makes me feel alienated sometimes, even though all I'm doing is doing what my religion says. They're in Islam, too. They practice it, to, so why don't they understand? My explanation would be to say that right now, they have good intentions but are carrying it out in a wrong way, because they are desperate. :( May Allah Guide them. Please, everyone, make du'a for me that I will be able to become what I intended and have strength at the same time. :) Ameen~