clarification of women visiting graveyard

sitifatimah84

ASSALAMUALAIKUM WBT SIS N BRO IN TTI,

I hope everybody is in their best of iman n health.

I am soo much confused about women visiting graveyard.

Is it allowed according to sunnah for a women to visit grave?

I found a few hadiths rearding this issue but some of them contradict

among each other. Therefore, i really would like to have some clarification on

this issue. Please enlighten me. Im very much appreciate your reply.

Thank you. Salam.

WISHING ALL THE MUSLIMS A HEPY EID MUBARAK AND MAY ALL OUR DEEDS IS ACCEPTED BY ALLAH SWT.

Ibn Uthaymin

Assalamu alykum women are allowed to visit the grave.

Al-Albânî is of the opinion that women may visit the graves, and that is preferred for them to do so, but that they should not do so excessively. Evidence that women are encouraged to visit the graveyard He supported his opinion that women are encouraged – just like men – to visit the graves with the following evidence:

1. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “I had prohibited you from visiting the graves, but now I encourage you to visit them.” [Sahîh Muslim (977)] In another narration it reads: “I had prohibited you from visiting the graves, but now I encourage you to visit them, because they are a reminder of the Hereafter.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd (3235) and Musnad Ahmad (23005)] In Sunan al-Nasâ’î, it reads: “Indeed, I had prohibited you from three things: from visiting the graves, but now I encourage you to visit them, and may your visiting them increase you in goodness…” [Sunan al-Nasâ’î (4429 and 5653)] This encouragement includes women, because when the Prophet (peace be upon him) had been prohibiting his followers from visiting the graves, the prohibition had been meant equally for men and for women. Therefore, when he lifted the prohibition, he did so for both men and women.

2. Women are equal with men with respect to the purpose for visiting the graves: which is to be reminded of the Hereafter and to soften the hearts.

3. The Prophet (peace be upon him) permitted women to visit the graves. `Abd Allah b. Abî Mulaykah relates: `Aishah came one day from the graveyard, so I said: “O Mother of Believers, from where have you come?” She said: “From the grave of `Abd al-Rahmân b. Abî Bakr.” I said: “Did not the Prophet (peace be upon him) forbid visiting the graves?” She said: “Yes, then he commanded us to visit them.” [Mustadrak al- Hâkim (1/376), Sunan al-Bayhaqî (4/78) and Tamhîd Ibn `Abd al-Barr (3/233)] In another narration, it reads at the end: “Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) permitted visiting the graves.” [Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1570)] Al-Albânî comments: “Al-Hâkim does not talk about it and Imam al-Dhahabî says: ‘It is an authentic hadîth.’ Al-Busayrî says: ‘Its line of transmission is authentic and its men are trustworthy.’ The ruling on this hadîth is as they have stated.”

4. The Prophet (peace be upon him) saw a woman crying at a grave so he told her: ‘Fear Allah and be patient.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1252)] He did not forbid her from staying at the grave. Evidence that women are not to make frequent visits to the graveyard The proof that they should not be frequent visitors comes in the following hadîth:

1. Abû Hurayrah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) cursed the women who are frequent visitors of the graves.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (1056) and Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1576)] This hadîth is at least good (hasan), and it is supported by other narrations to the level of being authentic (sahîh).

2. Hassân b. Thâbit relates: “Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) cursed the women who are frequent visitors of the graves. [Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1574)] Al-Albânî declares this hadîth to be acceptable (maqbûl) and sufficient for strengthening the hadîth of Abû Hurayrah to the level where it is authetic (sahîh). There is a hadîth related by Ibn `Abbâs, which reads in certain narrations: “Allah’s Messenger cursed the women who visit graves.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (320), Sunan Abî Dâwûd (3236), Sunan al-Nasâ’î (2034), and Sunan Ibn Mâjah (1575)] The word here is zâ’irât (women who visit) instead of zawwârât (women who are frequent visitors).

However, this hadîth is weak because one of its narrators, Abû Sâlih, is weak. Also, even some narrations of this hadîth mention “frequent visitors” instead of “women who visit”. On this basis, al-Albânî concludes: “It therefore becomes clear regarding this hadîth that the properly preserved wording is “frequent visitors”, since this is what is agreed upon in the hadîth of Abû Hurayrah and the hadîth of Hassân, as well as the narration of the majority of narrators of the hadîth of Ibn `Abbâs.” He then says: “The word zawwârât indicates that the curse is directed only at women who visit the graves excessively and no one else. Therfore, this hadîth cannot be used to contradict the previously mentioned hadîth that indicate it is encouraged for women to visit the graveyard, because this hadîth is specific and those hadîth are general. Each hadîth, therefore, must be applied to its own context.” He explains the reason why women should not visit the graves excessively: “This could lead them to fall into something that is contrary to Islamic teachings, like wailing, making a public display of themselves, taking the graves as places or relaxation and holiday, or wasting time in idle conversation.

This is just like the situation that we see today in some Muslim countries. This is what is meant by the hadîth.”

[ al-Albânî, Ahkâm al-Janâ’iz wa Bada`uhâ (229-237)]

EDIT: Kathiri give the opinion which says its not allowed, which has clearly been debunked by Shaykh Albani. The very least we can say is that there is difference of opinion.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
The correct view is that it is not allowed for women to visit graves, because of the hadeeth mentioned. It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed women who visit graves. Women should stop visiting graves. The woman who visited a grave out of ignorance (of this ruling) is not to blame, but she should not do it again. If she does so, she has to repent and seek forgiveness, and repentance cancels out whatever came before. Visiting graves is only for men. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Visit graves, for they will remind you of the Hereafter.” At the beginning of Islam, visiting graves was not allowed for men and women alike, because the Muslims were new in Islam and came from a background where grave-worship and attachment to the dead were widespread. So they were forbidden to visit graves as a preventative measure, to avoid evil and prevent shirk. But once Islam was well-established and they understood Islam, Allaah prescribed visiting the graves because of the lessons and reminders of death and the Hereafter involved in that, and so that they could make du’aa’ for the deceased and pray for mercy for them. Then Allaah forbade woman to do that – according to the most correct of the two scholarly opinions – because they may present a temptation to men and even to themselves, and because they have little patience and they get too upset. So by His mercy and kindness towards them, Allaah forbade them to visit graves. This is also a form of kindness towards the men, because if they were all to gather at the grave, this might cause fitnah. So by His mercy, Allaah forbade women to visit graves.

But with regard to the prayer (women praying the funeral prayer), there is nothing wrong with that. Women may join the funeral prayer. The prohibition applies only to visiting the graves. Women should not visit graves according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, because of the ahaadeeth which indicate that that is forbidden. She does not have to offer any kafaarah, all she has to do is repent.

From Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 9, p. 282

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Both opinions are sound, with the women being warned of getting carried away (as they are more emotional beings than men) and engaging in prohibited acts due to frequent visitation of grave sites of loved ones.

Nothing has been debunked. We have to respect the opinions of all scholars regarding this issue. This is not the terminology used for works of scholars of Ahlus Sunnah.

The wise ones always choose the ruling that is on the 'safer side' in matters of deen, which is why the ruling prohibiting the visitation for women is mentioned often. However, if a woman feels that she can keep her emotion in check and finds Sh Albaani rahimullah's fatwah stronger with the evidence provided (or if her local shaykh/Imam relates her this fatwah) and she follows the guidelines of visiting graves according to Islam, then she is acting in accordance with a different opinion of a highly respected scholar of Ahl us Sunnah of our time.

I would advise the sister who started this thread to consult a local imam or shaykh with regards to both fatwas. Or if she doesn't have anyone reliable to contact in her locality, she can attend Sh Assim Al Hakeem's weekly Q&A session on sundays and listen to his answer for herself.

Also, I would like to point out that evidences don't contradict each other. The revelation from Allah (which is source of evidence) never does contradict each other, which is a sign of it's truth. Rather we may think such a way due to our shortcomings in knowledge of our deen and our ignorance about the context in which they were meant to be understood. So please refrain from using the word 'contradict'. Rather we should consult someone learned with regards to these evidences, who can explain them to us InshaAllah.

May Allah azz zawajal increase us in knowledge of this deen. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

JenGiove

:salam2:

Here is another fatwah that Brother Alkathiri speaks of.

Ruling on women praying the janaazah (funeral) prayer

Could you please back this up with the hadeeth to make things clearer and also please try to give full reference of the hadeeth to everything you state ?
(But with regard to the prayer (women praying the funeral prayer), there is nothing wrong with that. Women may join the funeral prayer. The prohibition applies only to visiting the graves. Women should not visit graves according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, because of the ahaadeeth which indicate that that is forbidden. She does not have to offer any kafaarah, all she has to do is repent.) Can you tell me if women prayed Funeral Prayers in the times of our prophet(P.B.U.H)?

Praise be to Allaah.

Praying the janaazah (funeral) prayer is prescribed for both men and women, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever attends the janaazah until he offers the prayer will have one qeeraat (of reward), and whoever attends until (the deceased) is buried will have two qeeraats.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allaah, what are the two qeeraats?” He said, “Like two great mountains,” meaning, of reward. (Saheeh – agreed upon). But women should not follow the funeral procession to the graveyard, because they are not allowed to do that, as it was reported in al-Saheehayn that Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “We were forbidden to follow the funeral procession but it was not made absolute on us.” (narrated by Muslim). But women are not forbidden to offer the janaazah prayer, whether it is offered in the mosque, in a house or in a prayer-place. Women used to offer the janaazah prayer with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his mosque and after his lifetime. Visiting graves, however, is something which is only for men, as is following the funeral procession, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed women who visit graves. The reason for that – and Allaah knows best – is that there is the fear that if women were to follow funeral processions to the graveyard or visit graves, that would cause fitnah (temptation) to others or to themselves. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “I have not left behind any fitnah more harmful to men than women.” (Saheeh – agreed upon). And Allaah is the Source of strength.​

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh ibn Baaz , vol. 13, p. 133

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We had a similar thread last month. It was suggested that women, who tend to be emotional, should not visit graves because they are emotional and weak. Someone even suggested that would be influenced by a haram environment.

If you are not emotional and weak and are not going to commit haram than you can visit the graves.

sitifatimah84

assalamualaikum.

First of all, thank you soo much bro n sis for enligthening me regarding this

issue. I have the same reference before but am not sure the exact rule but

now it do make me clear:hijabi:.Thank you again.

2nd: Thank you Brotherinislam7 to correct me and im apologizing for using

inappropriate word 'contradict'. I admit my mistake n apologizing for my

shortcomings. wont repeat again:girl3:

salam.