Common Mistakes Made During Ramadan

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam
:salam2:

Most Muslims who fast Ramadan focus on the benefits and rewards of it. But in doing so, we often make mistakes that instead of adding to our experience actually detract from it. Mistakes that can make us commercialize Ramadan as so many other religions have commercialized their sacred days. Insha Allah the following serves as a reminder to myself first and to all Muslims. May Allah help us to spend our time wisely this Ramadan and help us to avoid these mistakes. Aameen!

1. Taking Ramadaan as a ritual

For many of us Ramadaan has lost its spirituality and has become more of a ritual than a form of Ibaadah. We fast from morning to night like a zombie just because everyone around us is fasting too. We forget that its a time to purify our hearts and our souls from all evil….we forget to make dua, forget to beseech Allaah to forgive us and ask Him to save us from the Fire. Sure we stay away from food and drink but that's about all.

Although the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said:
'Jibreel said to me, 'May Allaah rub his nose in the dust, that person to who Ramadaan comes and his sins are not forgiven,' and I said, 'Aameen'. Then he said, 'May Allaah rub his nose in the dust, that person who lives to see his parents grow old, one or both of them, but he does not enter Paradise (by not serving them) and I said, 'Aameen'. Then he said, 'May Allaah rub his nose in the dust, that person in whose presence you are mentioned and he does not send blessings upon you,' and I said, 'Aameen.'' (Tirmidhi, Ahmad, others. Saheeh by al-Albaani)

2. Sleeping all day

Some people spend their entire day (or a major part of it) 'sleeping away their fast'. Is this what is really required of us during this noble month? These people also are missing the purpose of fasting and are slaves to their desires of comfort and ease. They cannot 'bear' to be awake and face a little hunger or exert a little self-control. For a fasting person to spend most of the day asleep is nothing but, negligence on his part.

3. Fasting but not giving up evil
Some of us fast but do not give up lying, cursing, fighting, backbiting, etc. and some of us fast but do not give up cheating, stealing, dealing in haraam, buying lotto tickets, selling alcohol, fornication, etc. and all kinds of impermissible things without realizing that the purpose of fasting is to not stay away from food and drink; rather the aim behind it is to fear Allaah.

'O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)' [al-Baqarah 2:183]

The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Whoever does not give up false speech and acting upon it, and ignorance, Allaah has no need of him giving up his food and drink.' (Bukhaari)

4. Fasting but not praying
The fasting of one who does not pray WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. This is because not praying constitutes kufr as the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Between a man and shirk and kufr there stands his giving up prayer.' (Muslim)

In fact, NONE of his good deeds will be accepted; rather, they are all annulled.

'Whoever does not pray 'Asr, his good deeds will be annulled.' (Bukhaari)

5. Not fasting because of exams or work
Exams or work is NOT one of the excuses allowed by the Shariah to not fast. You can do your studying and revision at night if it is too hard to do that during the day. Also remember that pleasing and obeying Allaah is much more important than 'good grades'. Besides, if you will fulfill your obligation to fast, even if you have to study, Allaah will make it easy for you and help you in everything you do.
'Whosoever fears Allah, He will appoint for him a way out and provide for him from where he does not expect, Allaah is Sufficient for whosoever puts his trust in Him.' (Surah at-Talaaq 2-3)

It's not too late to rectify ones mistake and do good for the sake of Allaah.

[15:49] Inform My servants that I am the Forgiver, Most Merciful.

"0, My Lord! I have wronged my soul a great wrong, and none forgiveth sins save Thou alone. Then forgive me and have mercy on me. Verily, Thou art the oft Forgiving, and most Merciful."

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Very beneficial post sister,jazakallah khayr for sharing.May Allah help us to make the best of Ramadan and utilize it fully to cleanse ourselves.Ameen.
:wasalam:

Precious Star

Interesting.

I was raised to believe the opposite, actually -- that fasting during Ramadan actually erases sin and mistakes, because of the superiority of the act. In other words, because fasting is such a high form of ibadat, and attracts such blessings from Allah, that if we "slip up" from time to time then the fact of our fasting will override such minor slip ups since God's mercy flows so abundantly during Ramadan.

Hmmm.

Precious Star

The fasting of one who does not pray WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. This is because not praying constitutes kufr as the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'Between a man and shirk and kufr there stands his giving up prayer.' (Muslim)

In fact, NONE of his good deeds will be accepted; rather, they are all annulled.

But sister, this hadith refers to someone who GIVES UP prayer, not someone who misses a prayer.

That is a huge distinction.

Do you have hadith that specifically says God will NOT ACCEPT your fast if you miss a prayer? Certainly, He did not say that in the Quran.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Dear sister Hibba, may Allah reward you for sharing this benefical article with us. Inshallah it will be very usefull for us during these happy and blessed days of Ramadhan. :hijabi:

May Allah reward you my dear sister for your effort and your niyyah in sharing with us, MashAllah.

And by the way, I have not seen you posting on TTI for very long time,and I feel happy to see your posting dear sister.:hearts:

May Allah bless you once again. Ameen ya Rabby

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam

But sister, this hadith refers to someone who GIVES UP prayer, not someone who misses a prayer.

That is a huge distinction.

Do you have hadith that specifically says God will NOT ACCEPT your fast if you miss a prayer? Certainly, He did not say that in the Quran.

Asalamalikum wah rahmahtullah wah bahrakatu my sister in Islam

sorry for my mistake i didn't mention refers to this hadith

Al-Bukhaari (520) narrated that Buraydah said:
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not pray ‘Asr, his good deeds will be annulled"

Let me explain u my sister

What is meant by “his good deeds will be annulled” is that they will be rendered invalid and will be of no benefit to him. This hadeeth indicates that Allaah will not accept any good deed from one who does not pray, so the one who does not pray will not benefit at all from his good deeds and no good deed of his will be taken up to Allaah.

walikumsalam wah rahmahtullah wah bahrakahtu

HIBBA2009

Daughter of Adam
Very beneficial post sister,jazakallah khayr for sharing.May Allah help us to make the best of Ramadan and utilize it fully to cleanse ourselves.Ameen.
:wasalam:

walikumsalam wah rahmahtullah wah bahrakahtu

Barakullah feekum n Ameen to ur Dua's

Dear sister Hibba, may Allah reward you for sharing this benefical article with us. Inshallah it will be very usefull for us during these happy and blessed days of Ramadhan. :hijabi:

May Allah reward you my dear sister for your effort and your niyyah in sharing with us, MashAllah.

And by the way, I have not seen you posting on TTI for very long time,and I feel happy to see your posting dear sister.:hearts:

May Allah bless you once again. Ameen ya Rabby

walikumsalam wah rahmahtullah wah bahkrahtu

jazakAllah khair for ur dua's my sister

yaa, it's been a long time , actually i was busy in my exams, but now these days i m free , and i have a lot of time to share these wonderful things with u , i also feel very happy that u remember me after been a long time

Ameen to ur dua's