Concerning Reverts

UmmTaymiyyah

Assalamu alaykum,

Masha'Allah excellent advice from the noble shaykh 'Uthaymeen Rahimahullaah, for those new into Islam and for ourselves.

"Concerning Converts"

Shaikh Muqbil ibn Hadee Al-Wadi’ee

Shaikh Muhammad ibn Saalih Al-‘Uthaymeen

Source: http://www.salaf.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=10054

Translator can be known upon request.

Advice to the Converts

Question: If Allah Guides someone to Islaam, what does he have to say and what do we have to tell him?

Answer: He (must) say : « Lâ ilaha ilallah muhammad rasulullah » (I bear witness that no deity has the right to be worshipped except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah), then we advise him to sit down (to stay) with the pious people, because indeed the Prophet (salallahu’ alayhi wasallam) said: « the example of the good and the bad company is like the (company of the) one who sells oils and the blacksmith, if you walk with the one who sells oils, either you buy some oil or enjoy the good smell (he has with him), as for the blacksmith either he burns your clothes or covers you with his bad odor ». We heard about a story, when we were at the Islaamic University, about a man who had converted to Islaam, so he moved from the room (he was living in) with the Christians to the room of the Muslims. But arriving there, it so happened that those Muslims did not pray, his Islaam was then reduced to this moving from one room to another. This is why it is important for him to stay with pious people and that he rejects those who worship the Messiah (`Isaa ibnu Maryam), and we advise him to read beneficial books like: « Riyyad as-Saaliheen », the explanation of « Kitaab at-Tawheed », « Bulugh al-Maram » and the explanation of the Qur’an by Ibn Katheer. We also advise him to take his Islaam from the books of Al-Islaam and not from the actions of the Muslims, as their actions are (sometimes) bad, you can find a Muslim who lies, who drinks alcohol, knowing that it is not permissible. We say (to those who convert to Islaam): We do not call you to that, but on the contrary to cling to the authentic religion: "Verily, Allâh enjoins Al-Adl (i.e. justice and worshipping none but Allâh Alone - Islâmic Monotheism) and Al-Ihsân [i.e. to be patient in performing your duties to Allâh, totally for Allâh's sake and in accordance with the Sunnah (legal ways) of the Prophet SAW in a perfect manner], and giving (help) to kith and kin[] (i.e. all that Allâh has ordered you to give them e.g., wealth, visiting, looking after them, or any other kind of help, etc.): and forbids Al-Fahshâ' (i.e. all evil deeds, e.g. illegal sexual acts, disobedience of parents, polytheism, to tell lies, to give false witness, to kill a life without right, etc.), and Al-Munkar (i.e. all that is prohibited by Islâmic law: polytheism of every kind, disbelief and every kind of evil deeds, etc.), and Al-Baghy (i.e. all kinds of oppression), He admonishes you, that you may take heed"[1]. This detestable state, and those other affairs that the Muslims fell into and with which they went astray does not make them a proof against Islaam but rather Islaam is a proof against them.

It is a must to expose this clearly, so that the perversion of the Muslims does not become an argument against Islaam, on the contrary, we tell them: We do not call you to be like them or like the corrupted ones; the thieves, the alcoholics and we do not call you either to be a soofee. One of our brothers who studies in Germany or in the USA came to see us and told us that Allah Had guided a woman to Islaam and she saw some soofees dancing in the Mosque, so she called him and said to him: "I saw this (the soofees dancing) in the Mosque, and if this is Islaam there is no difference with the religion that I left". We do not call you to be soofee, shi`ite, secular, but rather to implement the Book of Allah, the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah, even if all the people differ.

Shaikh Muqbil ibn Hadee Al-Wadi’ee

Tuhfatul-mujib ‘al as’ila al-hadhir wal gha’ib (p.65-66)

[1] [An-Nahl 16:90]

Question: Concerning the disbelievers who want to enter the religion (of Islaam), some brothers see that they should not rush to enter Islaam, but rather they should be given books, tapes and that they should stay like this (studying the materials) a month or two in order to learn the beliefs of Islaam. This, while those people want to enter the religion (of Islaam), one of them might even come saying: "I want to accept Islaam (first) and then you can inform me of my obligations in matters of worship". So is it preferable for us to hasten their acceptance of Islaam or is it more befitting to delay it a little in order for them to learn?

Answer: The reality is like you have recalled that one of them comes, saying: "I want to accept Islaam" but he does not know Islaam. And when he accepts Islaam, he does not progress and does not accomplish properly the acts of worship of Islaam; so much so that he then turns his back (denies and leaves the fold of Islaam). And that is even more severe, because if he accepts Islaam and then turns his back, he becomes an apostate, as if he had stayed on his (previous) religion he would have stayed disbeliever (from his basic position), and the case of the apostate is worst than that of the basic disbeliever, because the basic disbeliever stays on his religion, as for the apostate we do not permit that for him, either he repents, either he gets killed. That is why some brothers see that you should not rush, like we see with all of these workers who pretend to be Muslims for a goal relating to (the life of) this world (in order to work in Saudi Arabia) and not for the love of Islaam. So showing them the Truth, exposing the proofs in order for them to accept Islaam with knowledge is preferred over rushing (in accepting it). So we need to know if the one (who wants to convert to Islaam) lived amongst the Muslims, knows their ablution, their prayers, their remembrances, their way (or methodology), then we have no other choice but to say that this man desires to accepts Islaam (knowingly) and we accept that from him. But if he is ignorant and he does not know anything of Islaam, it is preferred to expose to him first what is Islaam.

Shaikh Muhammad ibn Saalih Al-‘Uthaymeen

Liqa’at al-bab al-maftuh (n°473)

UmmTaymiyyah

Yeah just noticed that, but when you click on it, it will take you to the page where it says not found or something like that, but it will have the link below in small red writing, you can access the website that way, but it doesnt take you to the page where this article came from.