Conditions of tawbah (repentance)

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member

nameofallah.gif

salam_3.gif

“Say: “O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

And turn in repentance and in obedience with true Faith (Islamic Monotheism) to your Lord and submit to Him (in Islam) before the torment comes upon you, (and) then you will not be helped.

And follow the best of that which is sent down to you from your Lord (i.e. this Qur’aan, do what it orders you to do and keep away from what it forbids), before the torment comes on you suddenly while you perceive not!’”

[al-Zumar 39:53-54 – interpretation of the meaning]

The word tawbah (repentance) is a great word with deep meaning. It is not, as many people think, merely words to be uttered whilst persisting in sin. Think about what Allaah says:

“Seek the forgiveness of your Lord, and turn to Him in repentance”

[Hood 11:3 – interpretation of the meaning]

You will see that repentance is something more than seeking forgiveness.

Because this is a serious matter, there have to be conditions attached. The scholars mentioned the conditions of repentance, based on aayahs from the Qur’aan and ahaadeeth. There follows a list of some of them:

1 – Giving up the sin immediately.

2 – Regretting what has happened in the past.

3 – Resolving not to go back to it.

4 – Making amends to those whom you have wronged, or asking for their forgiveness.

You should not forget other important matters connected to sincere repentance, such as:

1 – You should give up the sin for the sake of Allaah and not for any other reason such as not being able to do it or repeat it, or being afraid of what people will say, for example.

The person who gives up a sin because it may affect his standing or reputation among people, or because it may cost him his job, cannot be described as having repented.

The person who gives up sins for the sake of his health and strength cannot be described as having repented, such as a person who gives up zinaa (adultery) and immoral actions for fear of contagious deadly diseases, or for fear that they may weaken his body and his memory.

The person who refrains from taking a bribe for fear that it may be being offered by undercover officers cannot be described as having repented.

The person who gives up drinking alcohol and taking drugs because he has become bankrupt cannot be described as having repented.

Similarly, the person who is unable to commit sin because of something that lies beyond his control cannot be described as having repented, such as a liar who becomes paralyzed and loses the power of speech, or an adulterer who loses the ability to engage in intercourse, or a thief who has an accident and loses his limbs. In such cases, a person has to feel regret and stop wishing to commit sin, or he has to feel sorry for what has happened in the past. To someone like this the Messenger :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Regret is repentance.”

(narrated by Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6802)

2 – He should feel repelled by the sin and the harm it causes.

This means that sincere repentance cannot be accompanied by feelings of enjoyment and pleasure when remembering past sins, or wishing to go back to it in the future.

In his book al-Daa’ wa’l-Dawaa’ wa’l-Fawaa’id, Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) mentioned many of the harmful effects of sin, including the following:

Being deprived of (Islamic) knowledge – feelings of alienation in the heart – difficulties – physical weakness – being unable to do acts of worship – being deprived of blessings – less help from Allaah – anxiety – more bad deeds – getting used to sin – the sinner becomes insignificant in the sight of Allaah – he becomes insignificant in the sight of people – the curse of the animals will be upon him – he will bear marks of humiliation – his heart will be sealed and he will come under the curse (of Allaah) – his du’aa’ will not be answered – cause of mischief on land and sea – loss of gheerah (protective jealousy) – loss of modesty – the blessings of Allaah will disappear – punishment will befall him – terror in the heart of the sinner – falling into the clutches of the Shaytaan – a bad end – punishment in the Hereafter.

Knowing these harmful effects of sin will make you want to keep away from sin altogether, but some people may move from one sin to another for a number of reasons, including the following:

- They think that it is less serious

- The self is more inclined towards it and the desire for it is stronger

- It is easier to commit this sin than others, unlike sins which require some preparation; the means of doing it are readily available and widespread

- His friends and companions are committing this sin and it is difficult for him to differ from them

- A particular sin may give a person some status among his companions, and it is too difficult for him to lose this position, so he continues to commit that sin.

3 – He should hasten to repent. Hence delaying repentance is in and of itself a sin for which repentance is required.

4 – You should make up the duties towards Allaah that you have missed, if that is possible, such as paying the zakaah which you withheld in the past; and because this is something which is the right of the poor.

5 – You should keep away from places of sin if your being there may make you fall into sin again.

6 – You should keep away from those who helped you to commit sin.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Friends on that Day will be foes one to another except Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Zukhruf 43:67]

Bad friends will curse one another on the Day of Resurrection, so you should keep away from them and break off your friendship with them, and warn others against them if you are not able to call them (to Allaah). Do nt let the Shaytaan deceive you or make the idea of going back to them in order to call them to Allaah look attractive to you, for you know that you are weak and will not be able to resist.

There are many cases in which people have gone back to sin because they resumed relationships with their former companions.

7 – Destroy haraam things that you may have in your possession, such as intoxicants, musical instruments, haraam pictures and movies, permissive stories, statues and so on. They should be broken, destroyed or burnt.

It is very essential that the one who wants to repent should rid himself of all items of jaahiliyyah. How often has it happened that keeping these haraam things caused people who had repented to go back on their repentance and be led astray after having been guided. We ask Allaah to make us steadfast.

8 – Choose righteous friends who will help you against your nafs (self) and who will be an alternative to bad company. Strive to attend circles of dhikr and gatherings of knowledge. Fill your time with beneficial things so that the Shaytaan will not find any opportunity to remind you of the past.

9 – Focus on your body which has been fed on haraam substances and direct its energies towards obeying Allaah. Seek out halaal substances with which to nourish your body so that your flesh will be renewed with halaal substances.

10 – Do a lot of good deeds, for good deeds cancel out bad deeds.

If you are sincere in your repentance to Allaah, then receive the good news that all your previous evil deeds will be changed into good deeds. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who invoke not any other ilaah (god) along with Allaah, nor kill such person as Allaah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse and whoever does this shall receive the punishment.

The torment will be doubled to him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein in disgrace;

Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:68]

I ask Allaah to benefit you by these words, and to guide your heart. Now get up and utter the Shahaadatyan, purify yourself (with ghusl) and pray as Allaah has commanded you. Observe the Islamic duties regularly and give up haraam things. I will be happy to help you in any way.

I ask Allaah to give us and you strength to do that which He loves and is pleased with. May He accept the repentance of us all, for He is the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Karima

MashaAllah,

This has been so refreshing to read. It has spoken to all of my 'reasons' for why I would repent of 'things' in my life.

This is a good reminder for our intentions of repentance.

Allah knows all and sees all. May Allah reward you for posting this forum.

Sallam,
Kristina

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Ameen...gazakum Allah khyran...

May Allah reward u and direct us to the right path...

<wasalam alaykum>

sky_012

Jazak Allah kahir for this

i wanted to ask what if a person stop commiting a sin because he realizes that each time he does it, Allah punishes him by creating problems in his family or other problems (like you realize u are loosing money or ur loosing ur health or there isn't any peace in your home)

so first this person stops commiting this sin because of the bad consequences and then realizes that all these things where punishement and only after he starts thinking that he stop For Allah SWT only

does it enter in the category of sincere repentance?

i don't know if i explained it correctly but it's about the fact that the article says if a person stops sinning just because of his job or health isn't a sincere repenter but what if he takes it as punishment from Allah and he stops because he realizes that Allah is cursing him and also because it is affecting his life here

thanks for replying if someone understands my point

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum..

Sister in islam..

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz Was asked that:
Is punishment from Allaah one of the consequences of sin?

Undoubtedly committing sin is one of the causes of Allaah’s wrath and of loss of blessing and withholding of rain and being overtaken by the enemy.
Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):
“And indeed We punished the people of Fir‘awn (Pharaoh) with years of drought and shortness of fruits (crops), that they might remember (take heed)”
[al-A’raaf 7:130]

“So We punished each (of them) for his sins, of them were some on whom We sent Haasib (a violent wind with shower of stones) [as on the people of Loot (Lot)], and of them were some who were overtaken by As-Sayhah [torment — awful cry, (as Thamood or Shu‘ayb’s people)], and of them were some whom We caused the earth to swallow [as Qaaroon (Korah)], and of them were some whom We drowned [as the people of Nooh (Noah), or Fir‘awn (Pharaoh) and his people]. It was not Allaah Who wronged them, but they wronged themselves”
[al-‘Ankaboot 29:40]

There are many similar aayahs. And it was narrated in a saheeh hadeeth that the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A person may be deprived of provision because of sins that he commits.” So each Muslim man and woman must beware of sin, and must repent from sins that they have committed in the past, whilst also thinking positively about Allaah, hoping for His forgiveness and fearing His wrath and punishment. Allaah says in His Holy Book about His righteous slaves:
“Verily, they used to hasten on to do good deeds, and they used to call on Us with hope and fear, and used to humble themselves before Us”
[al-Anbiya’ 21:90 – interpretation of the meaning]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Those whom they call upon [like ‘Eesa (Jesus) - son of Maryam (Mary), ‘Uzayr (Ezra), angel and others] desire (for themselves) means of access to their Lord (Allaah), as to which of them should be the nearest; and they [‘Eesa (Jesus), ‘Uzayr (Ezra), angels and others] hope for His Mercy and fear His Torment. Verily, the Torment of your Lord is (something) to be afraid of!”
[al-Isra’ 17:57]

“The believers, men and women, are Awliyaa’ (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another; they enjoin (on the people) Al-Ma‘roof (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do), and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden); they perform As-Salaah (Iqaamat-as-Salaah), and give the Zakaah, and obey Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah will have His Mercy on them. Surely, Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise”
[al-Tawbah 9:71]

It is prescribed, however, for Muslim men and women also to pursue the means that Allaah has permitted, placing their hope in Him and fearing Him, pursuing the means whilst also putting their trust in Allaah and depending on Him to bring what they hope for and keep them safe from what they fear, for He is the Ever-Responsive and Most Generous who says (interpretation of the meaning)
:
“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).
And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine”
[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

“and whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him”
[al-Talaaq 65:4]

“And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”
[al-Noor 24:31]

So you must repent to Allaah from whatever sins you have committed in the past and be steadfast in obeying Allaah, whilst thinking positively of Him and fearing His wrath. Be of good cheer and have the hope of a good end

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz in al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 3, p. 1136

Alhamduillah to Help us to Make Tawba..Such is the strong believer whom Allaah loves. The Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allaah than the weak believer, although both are good. Strive to do that which will benefit you and seek the help of Allaah, and do not feel helpless. If anything befalls you, do not say ‘If only I had done (such and such), the such and such would have happened,’ rather say: ‘Allaah has decreed and what He wills He does,’ for ‘if only’ opens the door to the work of the shaytaan.”
Narrated by Muslim (2664).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Man is not commanded to refer to the concept of the divine decree with regard to the deeds that are enjoined upon him, rather he should refer to the concept of the divine decree with regard to calamities that he has no means to ward off. Whatever befalls you as the result of other people’s actions or otherwise, bear it with patience, accept it and submit.
“No calamity befalls, but by the Leave [i.e. Decision and Qadar (Divine Preordainments)] of Allaah, and whosoever believes in Allaah, He guides his heart [to the true Faith with certainty, i.e. what has befallen him was already written for him by Allaah from the Qadar (Divine Preordainments)]”
[al-Taghaabun 64:11]

One of the salaf – either Ibn Mas’ood or ‘Alqamah – said: This is the man whom calamity befalls and he knows that it is from Allaah, so he accepts it and submits.
Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (7/278).

Do you not know that tests and trials are an inevitable part of man’s existence in this life?

“Verily, We have created man from Nutfah (drops) of mixed semen (sexual discharge of man and woman), in order to try him, so We made him hearer and seer”
[al-Insaan 76:2]

People are like metals. Some are pure gold, some are a mixture, and some are less than that. The test is like a fire which will show whether the gold is truly gold or not.

“Alif?Laam?Meem.
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur’aan, and none but Allaah (Alone) knows their meanings.]
2. Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: ‘We believe’ and will not be tested.
3. And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allaah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allaah knows all that before putting them to test)”
[al-‘Ankaboot 29:1-3]

So what is the solution? Where should we start? .....!!!

The solution is to turn back to Allah, and He will love you when you turn back to Him:
“Allaah loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves”
[al-Baqarah 2:222]

He will grant you relief when you come back to Him, no matter how far astray you have gone.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says: ‘I am as My slave thinks I am, and I am with him when he remembers Me. If he remembers me to himself, I remember him to Myself; if he remembers Me in a gathering, I remember him in a gathering better than it; if he draws near to Me a handspan, I draw near to him an arm’s length; if he draws near to me an arm’s length, I draw near to him a fathom’s length; if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.”
Narrated by Muslim (2675).

So what about sins .....!!!

Our Lord, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful, says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say: O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft?Forgiving, Most Merciful”
[al-Zumar 39:53]

You still have a way to turn over a new leaf and make the record of your deeds white and clean. We do not mean that it will be white with no good deeds or bad deeds written on it so that we will go back to zero and start from scratch. No; what we mean is that we want it to be white with no sins on it, and by the mercy of the Most Merciful of those who show mercy, it will be filled with good deeds instead of every bad deed that you did and every sin into which you fell.

Have you not heard the words of Allaah which tell us of the characteristics of the slaves of the Most Merciful, where He mentions a number of their beautiful attributes that are beloved to Him, among which He mentions:

“And those who invoke not any other ilâh (god) along with Allaah, nor kill such person as Allaah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse and whoever does this shall receive the punishment.
69. The torment will be doubled to him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein in disgrace;
70. Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft?Forgiving, Most Merciful.
71. And whosoever repents and does righteous good deeds; then verily, he repents towards Allaah with true repentance”
[al-Furqaan 25:68-71]

Do you not see how Allaah does not just forgive those major sins, but by His grace He turns them into good deeds!

It was narrated from Abu Taweel Shatab al-Mamdood that he came to the Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “What do you think if a man has committed all kinds of sins, and has not left out any of them, and he did not omit any minor or major sin but he did it, can he repent?”
He said: “Have you become Muslim?”
He said: “As for me, I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah alone, with no partner or associate, and that you are the Messenger of Allaah.”
He said: “Do good deeds and abstain from bad deeds, and Allaah will make them all good deeds for you.”
He said: “Even my betrayals and immoral deeds?”
He said: “Yes.”
He said: “Allaah is most great,” and he kept saying takbeer until he left.
Narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer (7/314); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb.

So, O maidservant of Allaah, change your state and do good deeds, and give up bad deeds, and they will all be turned to good deeds in your record of deeds. Then you will know that you cannot lose that closeness to Allaah, for you will still have the opportunity to be with Him in Paradise.

Ibn al-Qayyim said: Come and be with Allaah, and draw close to Him in an abode of peace, with no exhaustion or tiredness or suffering via the closest and easiest routes. You are in a time between two times, which in fact is your life, your current time, between the past and the future. What has passed can be set right by repentance and regret and prayers for forgiveness, and that is something which will not exhaust you or tire you out and is not difficult. Rather it is an action of the heart. As for the future, you should refrain from committing sin, and refraining from sin will give you a great deal of peace of mind. It is not a physical action that is too hard to do, rather it is resolve and firm intention, which will bring physical and mental peace.

But what matters is your life, which is your time between two times. If you waste it you will lose happiness and salvation. But if you take care of the present as well as correcting the past and the future as described above, then you will be saved and will have peace of mind, pleasure and tranquillity.

Taking care of it is more difficult than setting right that which comes before and after it, for taking care of it requires you to do that which is best and most beneficial for you, and which is most likely to bring happiness, and people differ greatly with regard to that.
Al-Fawaa’id (117).

<wasalam>

islamicfajr

sky_012

SubhAllah , i can quote any single sentence as each of the words is soo deep and important in meanings

i've realized how much we humans and especially me are unthankfull, we are blind and it is our fault if w ignore and forget all the blessings Allah Sends us
first we commit sins and then we loose hope, if allah wanted he would leave all the disobedients in their current situation and Would never talk to them or Help them but Allah SWT is without any doubts The Most Mercifull , he has given us sinners, methods and ways and Has Explained in detail the process we should follow to come back to the right path , He explained Eveything in The Holy Quran , He guides even those who are lost in the dark and show them His Divine Light, even He Gives the cure for the hardest hearts among us and Explains us with His Divine Words how to melt them, how to cure them, how to come back to Him
He says we should Fear His punishment and Fear Him but He also Tells us not to loose hope Our Lord is indeed Gafoor Ur Raheem , He is Al Kareem He Is the Geatest

May Allah Forgives us

Jazak Allah for this article

sky_012

Assalam u Alikum

i wanted to ask that as it is written a sinner person can be punished in this world for his/her sins
for instance if a person is ill but knows it is a punishment how should this person react?

should he pray to Allah SWt that he cures him (also with asking for forgiveness)
or he shouldn't pray for cure , he should be patient and wait until Allah SWt cures him and should only pray ofr forgiveness but not for the cure of the pain, of the illness

thanks in advance

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam u Alikum

i wanted to ask that as it is written a sinner person can be punished in this world for his/her sins
for instance if a person is ill but knows it is a punishment how should this person react?

should he pray to Allah SWt that he cures him (also with asking for forgiveness)
or he shouldn't pray for cure , he should be patient and wait until Allah SWt cures him and should only pray ofr forgiveness but not for the cure of the pain, of the illness

thanks in advance

wa Alaykum Assalam..

yes sister..ur right..

but we shoud Seek refuge with Allaah from the difficulties of severe calamities
that's useful quote from the words of the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Seek refuge with Allaah from the difficulties of severe calamities, from having a bad end and bad fate.” (al-Bukhaari, 7/215, Kitaab al-Qadar).
<wasalam>