Converts and hijaab

Oem Soufiane

Assalamu aleikum warahmatulahi wa barakatuh,

I watched al lot of video's about disbelievers turning to islam, and I must say that i am amazed how many times i saw these sisters who learn islam from the quran and the sunnah and not from cultural point of view and still do not wear a correct hijaab. Don't you sisters (and the sisters who were raised in islam) know that nothing can be showed except the hands and face. Even there are some doubts (sorry i am from the netherlands, i think i spelled it wrong) about the face. I am not trying to attack the sisters, but it is really important that you do not follow the cultural aspects, like wearing a scarf that still shows the front part of your hair, and tying(?) your scarf to the back, so that your neck is still visible. I even saw sisters wearing lots and lots of make up. please sisters, be aware of this. Hijaab is to cover yourself, not to make your face a point were you can compensate the beauty you can't see underneath your clothes, please read soerat an-nour 24:31 sisters. I love you for the sake of Allah, this is not an attack to the converted musilma's i am one myself.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

You must remember that these people are new to Islam and are still learning.

The most important issue for a person is to have correct belief in Allah and the final messenger :saw:. And inshaAllah with time, patience and Islamic understanding people can move on and build up their level of knowledge and implement different aspects of Islam into their life.

Sometimes, only once a person is Muslim can they appreciate the benefits of doing acts such as the Fasting in Ramadan, the tahajjud prayer, the hijab and other Islamic acts. If a person already understands and loves these actions before becoming Muslim then that is an added mercy from Allah. For this reason, if a person who is non-Muslim, but agrees and believes in Allah alone and in the Prophet Muhammad :saw: as the last and final Messenger, it is important for that person to accept Islam and not worry about these other issues until after they have taken shahada.

So of course the Hijab and wearing it correctly is important, but we need to understand where people are coming from and remember that they, like every other person on this planet are still learning.

Hidayah, guidance is from Allah (swt) only.. and none of us have any monopoly on what we know or do. We read Surah Fatihah, and ask Allah everytime we pray, to keep us on the straight path.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, " A man spends a long time
doing the deeds of the people of Paradise and then he ends his deeds with
the deeds of the people of the Hell-fire. And a man spends a long time doing
the deeds of the people of the Hell-fire and then he ends his deeds with
the deeds of the people of Paradise." (Recorded by Muslims)

In another hadith, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "By the One whom there is no
other God, one of you does the actions of Paradise until there is just a
handspan between him and Paradise and then the book [preordainment] overtakes
him and he does tha actions of the people of Hell and he enters into it"
(Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim.)

I think if you listen carefully to what the people say in those videos they admit they may be doing wrong, but they are still learning, we are all human ! and we are always learning, correcting our mistakes to the day we die. So, its important to remain humble and ask Allah to forgive us and guide us all .

You made a good point about not following Cultural aspects this is important for all Muslims. As many cultures do things which contradict Islam... unfortunately sometimes people confuse the various issues.

wasalam.

Karima

Wasallam,

I am glad you brought this up, because I was paying close attention to the way some of the 'reverted' muslims were dressing. Your observation was exactly what was going through my mind.

Thank you for bringing this up for an awareness of doing things the proper way, and pleasing to Allah.

Sallam,
Kristina

So of course the Hijab and wearing it correctly is important, but we need to understand where people are coming from and remember that they, like every other person on this planet are still learning.
Thank you, Mabsoot.....this is a good statement to keep in mind.

Oem Soufiane

Assalamu aleikum warahmatulahi wa barakatuh,

Thank you both for your reactions, Mabsoot, you're right indeed about we are all still learning, this was a message of making sisters aware of the difference between islam and culture, and just like you said, unfortunatly people confuse these things. Ones you've made the decision to wear your hijaab(witch is a difficult step in most cases i know) it feels so much more rewarding when you are doing it right.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
salam alaykum....

Allah saied in Quran....

" Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. " (24:30-31)

AishaR

Salam brothers & sisters of Islam

This is a subject very close to me. I revert on my wedding day 4 mths ago & have the full support of my husband & his family. The problem I have is that my family & muslim friends have very different views of hijab, which being new to Islam is very confusing! Some people are telling me that nowhere in the Quran does it say that we must cover our heads/hair & that it is only in the hadith where this is mentioned. This is causing me some confusion about wearing hijab, I dress & act modestly so is this enough? These same people dont believe that the hadiths are correct, is this not haram?

I really dont know what to believe anymore...... Please help me on this topic.

Salam

Oem Soufiane

Assalamu aleikum warahmatulahi wa barakatuh sister,

mashallah! Another new sister in islam, may Allah guide you and all of us to al jannah inshallah. First off all, i'd say to you, choose your friends with care, because there is an hadith where abu hurairah says: (interpretation, i don't speak english very well) that a man usually follows the believe of his friends( also caunts for women) so you need to be carefull who you take as your friend ( the hadith is from abu dawud and tirmidhi) and people who are preventing you from doing the righteous thing are putting islam to their own hands or they don't know better, but if they heard about these hadiths, i'd say they are the fist type of people but Allah knows best. some people don't like some things of it so they take them as not sure, i allways follow the hadiths of the six trustworthy( i dont know if this is the right word) collectors of hadith, and this is what the righteous people do, follow the salaf. You can trust the hadith from: bukhari, muslim, abu dawud, tirmidzi, an nasaa'i en ibn madja. Maybe others, but i don't know them by name astaghfitulah, also i advice you to take a look at the website www.islamqa.com and search your answer, ( browse through the earlier questions). Concerning the headscarf, in the quran THE WORD headscarf isn't mentioned, but look at the replie from islamicfadjr, it says in the quran:

" Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. " (24:30-31)

the headscarfd is something peole invented later, i'd like to mention that a scarf doesn't do all the work like you sometimes see on the streets, at least vover your neck and hair and only show your face and hands, wear clothes that do not fit tight, and then if your imaan gets stronger inshallah Allah will make it easy for you to go further from there. Do not follow the things you see and hear on the streets, because lately everybody thinks they are scholars, the baker, the groceryshopowner, search your answers yourself and watch out who you listen to. if somebody tells you something you don't know about, go search for the right answers on the net. I must say this to you: do not go to websites of the sufi's, ahmadiyya, or shiites, this are groups who turn the islam to their own ways and innovate a lot in our deen. but like in the replie of isllamicfadjr it;s said that you should cover your body, there are a lot of hadiths witch tell you in a more specific way how to dress, i don't have them here right now, but i'm shure you can find them on the website i mentioned earlier.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala make things easy for you.