Cross Country + Ramadan = ???

AmericanTeenager

Alright, so I know Ramadan is still almost a month away, but oh well. During the school year, I run for my school's Cross Country (long-distance running) team. I need a lot of water in order to keep my body hydrated and healthy for this activity. However, in Ramadan I'm not supposed to eat or drink anything from sunup to sundown. I know an exception is supposed to be made for those who's health would be in danger by doing so, and I certainly believe dehydration and other heat-related injuries to be a danger to my health, so would it be halaal for me to drink only water on the weekdays that I had Cross Country practice?

Amtullah

Servant of Allah
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

The exception made for those whose health would be in danger, does not include someone running cross country.

By running cross country you are choosing to put your health at risk, instead of choosing to follow what Allah has commanded us to do (which should take priority).

Whether you take a sip of water, drink a litre or two, or eat something.. it comes to the same thing... your fast will not be valid.

I agree "dehydration and other heat-related injuries to be a danger to my health" - since fasting should be your priority, you need to drop the running until Ramadaan is over.

Allahu alim. This is my understanding/knowledge of things.. but ask the shayukh around you.

I hope that helps a little.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam

Shahzad

llittle brother: just try top avoid those races for 1 month. I know that might be difficult for u but ALLAH has the reward for u .

Mairo

Maryama
Assalamu aleikum brother,

Yes, there are some people who are still able to exercise during Ramadan, but what you are describing is probably too strenuous to be able to continue during the month long fast without injuring yourself. InshaAllah you will choose to complete the fast of Ramadan over competing in cross country this year. And InshaAllah you should be able to compete as normal next year, as the timing for Ramadan shifts every year, and would start earlier next year.

I would hate for you to miss out on the blessings of Ramadan. I know it may be hard for you to realize what you will gain by fasting when you have never fasted before, and you probably don't know anyone around you who will be fasting, and they are oblivious of the meaning of it. But trust me, it is an enlightening, wonderful experience and one that I sincerely hope you will come to know.

Please keep in touch and keep up the faith, you have been a very inspiring example to many of us and we hope to hear more from you.

Wasalaam

allah99

Banned
i also run cross country for my school team. I am currently running in ramadan. I think you should also attempt it. It is easy as long as you know to slow down or stop once you feel sickly and dehydrated. I have been doing well so far.

Assalamu3alikum,
your caring brother

LaLa09

♥Amor vincit omnia♥
i know this is kinda late, but a friend of mine who is a muslim also ran cross country while he was fasting and came in 15:56.27 in the 5000m at GHSA State CC Championships, placing second, but that was after Ramadan was over(He was conditioning during Ramadan though). Manshallah he was awesome, i've tried to avoid running around in pe by using the excuse of "fasting" but then here comes Nabil and other muslim guys doing that and then some so i sucked it up

MutlekM

:wasalam:
i play soccer run cross country and play football all in Ramadan yes i hav to skip some practices to go to the other but i talked to all my coaches and i told them about Ramadan and so he just told me that when i need to stop in a game just tell my coach or in practice alhamdullilah i actually feel alot better cause i know i am obeying allah.
:wasalam: