Dancing? Can a muslim sister join dance classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittyn

I was wondering about how a muslim girl would be able to join a ballet or flamenco class?

I'm thinking that she would only be able to be in all female dances and to never be touched by another man in such dances for example: hand holding and lifting. And performing for crowds?
What kind of ruling would be upon this?

Of course I think the tights would be a problem...

Give me your input please.

PeArLL

-Quiet Member-
:salam2:

With regard to dancing, it is not permissible in front of men, non-mahrams, mahrams or women, because of the fitnah that may be caused by the movements of the body. It is well known that women may feel desire for one another, and even if that is not the case, there is no guarantee that one of them will not go back to her menfolk and describe to them what she has seen of the beauty of the dancer and her movement, so this may affect the men and may cause a great deal of mischief. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade such things.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should look at another woman then describe her to her husband so that it is as if he can see her.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4839.
The alluring movements of a woman are part of her ‘awrah, and it is not permissible for her to show them to anyone but her husband.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Dancing is makrooh in principle, but if it is done in the western manner or in imitation of the kaafir women, then it becomes haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Moreover it sometimes leads to fitnah, because the dancer may be a young, beautiful woman, so the other women are tempted. Even if she is among other women, the other women may do things that indicate that they are temped by her. And whatever is a cause of fitnah is not allowed.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/9290

K-A-K

Salam!

Thank you for raising this question...
I have always wanted to know about this.

You know how in weddings, cousins (female) and sisters sit together and sing out of joy, etc, is that okay?
It is truly to enjoy the occasion. Would that be permissible?I have no idea, and therefor wondering.

Secondly, during weddings, sisters and cousins do dance. not the cheap one. but just a flip here and there. more for laughter, i'd say. Is that alright?

I would appreciate the answers. :) i need to share them with someone too.
plus we have a wedding coming up inshAllah.

Thanks a lottttt people. jazakAllah.

Waslam

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

The husband doesn't ask the wife to dance for him and the wife doesn't ask the husband to sing for her.

there you go make a deal!

Mutual respect for each other ,essential for good marriage.

Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baarakaatuh,

Actually that just happens in an Indian Movie. Btw what business does ballerina have with a Muslims' life anyway?

It makes sense to think of the wife asking her husband to recite the Qur'an, but to sing for her. . .lol

Ukht, might as well send them to the nearest circus, shall we?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
My question is, what do you dance to? music? Music is haraam.

All respect to those whose think opposite than me but ALL muslims don´t think that music is haraam (neither dancing too). I see some dances are good for your health as for example for those whose have problems with they back.

esperanza

revert of many years

The husband doesn't ask the wife to dance for him and the wife doesn't ask the husband to sing for her.

there you go make a deal!

Mutual respect for each other ,essential for good marriage.

salam alaykum..

yes this should be moved to sisters section
but there is nothing wrong wiht a woman dancing for her husband,,why not,,

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

Matter is quite sensitive that sisters are right - this belongs to sisters only section.

:shymuslima1: Don´t embarrass our brothers with kind of matters as what wife can do with hers husband....

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
All respect to those whose think opposite than me but ALL muslims don´t think that music is haraam (neither dancing too).
:wasalam:

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:
that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.... [Bukhari :: Book 7 :: Volume 69 :: Hadith 494]

Amazing! isn't it. :) (I don't mean it sarcastically)

more:

And if you obey most of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allah . They follow not except assumption, and they are not but falsifying.[Quran 6:116]

I see some dances are good for your health as for example for those whose have problems with they back..
There can some slight good in some haraam things also but the harm is greater than good, So Allah (swt) has forbade them.

Let your life rule with wisdom of Quran and sunnah, Not with Desires. (which hearts wants to justify somehow)

Sorry to comment on this thread but I request my sisters to think over again, Allah (swt) has given you a status and dignity, plz don't belittle it. :astag:

& Allah knows the best..........

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

It is amazing also that we can make music without musical instruments.

:SMILY346:

It is of course another matter what is musical insturument? If I make rythm for dancing by my hands hit them together are my hands then haraam instrument? Is isntrument haraam or rythm we hear?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

All respect to those whose think opposite than me but ALL muslims don´t think that music is haraam (neither dancing too). I see some dances are good for your health as for example for those whose have problems with they back.

Sister Harb have you studied the matter in detail. The view of our salaf and the scholars after them.

How did those muslims arrive at this conclusion? When Allaah and the Prophet of Allaah:saw: forbade something, what thinking is it that these muslims follow?

We had a very good lecture by brother Br. Abu Mussab posted here at TTI. Why don't you share that with these people. It's beautifully explained and detailed.

Half my family got back problems and they excercise*Smile*. No one needs to dance for a backache Inshaa'Allaah.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

Sister Harb have you studied the matter in detail. The view of our salaf and the scholars after them.

How did those muslims arrive at this conclusion? When Allaah and the Prophet of Allaah:saw: forbade something, what thinking is it that these muslims follow?

We had a very good lecture by brother Br. Abu Mussab posted here at TTI. Why don't you share that with these people. It's beautifully explained and detailed.

Half my family got back problems and they excercise*Smile*. No one needs to dance for a backache Inshaa'Allaah.

I have heard from many other muslims that they don´t see music is haraam - no need to study this matter, just listen others.

Also others whose have got help to they problems of back have told dancing has helped them.

For kind of knowledge you don´t need to study anything - just be able to listen others opinions.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

I have heard from many other muslims that they don´t see music is haraam - no need to study this matter, just listen others.

Also others whose have got help to they problems of back have told dancing has helped them.

For kind of knowledge you don´t need to study anything - just be able to listen others opinions.

So something as serious as the deen is to be followed by listening to others? Who are these "others".

Ukht when you are sick, do you just listen to anyone and take any pill they offer? Or do you prefer a doctor?

Hatty

Very interesting post. As much as I like music and dancing, but it is Haraam and not allowed in Islam. So if a person chooses to listen to music and dance to it, must bear in mind he/she is doing something which is not permissible in Islam, and therefore we are sinning.

I am one of those who are being afflicted by this big challenge and may Allah forgive and wipe out our sins - past, future and present. Amen.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!

Allahu musta'an!!!, Sister did you read my comment? :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
I don't think this has to be moved, its really not that serious, its just a silly topic; no you don't dance to music, simple as that.

If you indulge in silly topics for discussion and then get embarrassed by them, just be more responsible with your words and topic choices next time.

And sister harb: there is no need to study a matter of deen, just listen to hearsay ..? This is madness. If muslims were like that we'd have a similar religion to the Christians by now.

Wa-salam

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

Is it ok to staff of this forum that we discuss in public what wife can do with hers husband to pleasure him (like dancing)? Thats why it is asked to move to non-public forum. Sorry if staff member see simple question only as "silly".

:shymuslima1:

Yes, some doctors have told that "belly dance" is good for muscles of back. Some other kind of technics too as yoga (but that must be haraam too as it comes from kafir ideology?).

Status
Not open for further replies.