Do Muslims believe in evolution?

Joshua26

Hello everyone,

I had a question about evolution in Islam. When I was studying the Qur'an a while back, I saw the following passage:

"Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (21:30)

When I read this I was very amazed as there was no way that 1,400 years ago the Prophet Muhammad could have known that the origins of life were from water, and it would have sounded very strange to people at that time. When I read this I thought it was referring to evolution as scientists believe simple organisms first developed in water and then gradually evolved into more complex life, however I've seen many Muslims on Islamic forums as well as scholars trying to dispute evolution in online videos and such things.

So I am asking, do Muslims believe in evolution? And if not, what exactly is meant by the passage I quoted?

Thank you very much! :)

Ershad

Hello brother,

We believe in natural selection but not evolution. Because it is just a theory. In fact Charles Darwin himself wasn't sure of it. Now, the evolution was made by fossil records. And these fossil records had lot of missing links which means they were missing some fossils of intermediary species. Darwin said " Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain: and this perhaps is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory." He was optimistic that further archaeological research would provide the hard evidence necessary. To date, nearly 250,000 different species of fossil plants and animals have been identified in world’s museums. Yet, the transitional fossils remain as elusive as they were in Darwin’s day.

Similarly, evolution may explain the fossil record, but it falls far short of explaining the quintessential essence of human life—the soul. We all have one. We feel its presence, we speak of its existence. But only the religious can explain where it came from. The theory of natural selection can explain many of the material aspects of living things, but it fails to explain the human soul.

The verse means Allah "Created" living things from water. Your interpretation is quite right in the sense that all living things were created with water. Because, every living thing has a big proportion of water in it (In human beings almost 80%). But, it is not the same as the Primordial Soup theory. But, I wouldn't say human beings evolved from these organisms. Adam (A.S) was created by God. In fact, Qur'an says in one place that human was created from sperm and another place it says from dust and in another, it says from water. For that, please watch this video - [yt]blug1DpDuz4[/yt]
[yt]PzcBsPf04gs[/yt]
I advice you to read the two files that I am attaching with this post which gives you fine details of Islamic standpoint of Evolution.

Attachments

• en_The_Big_Questions(1)(1).doc
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • en_Contemporary_Issues.pdf
    459.7 KB · Views: 38

Mairo

Maryama
Salaam Joshua,

I do not find Islam and many of the concepts of evolution to be mutually exclusive at all. I think you are on the right track with your understanding of that verse. You will also continue to come across more and more astounding facts in the Quran which are just recently being verified through scientific study. It is all pretty incredible and contributes to solidifying ones faith and the belief in Quran as the ultimate revelation in all truth from God, the almighty Creator of everything, to humanity.

There is another thread on the topic here:
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79341&highlight=Evolution

Please check out the video posted by brother Abdul-Aziz. The sheik's response to the question is very good and comprehensive.

Mairo

Maryama
Another thing about water, it is said to be the one thing from heaven that we have here on earth . . .

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Oh and I think you didn't notice "heavens & earth were joined..."
is indication to big bang theory! Imagine big bang theory 1400 yrs. Back. Also quran says earth is like shape of an ostrich egg, meaning it round and a bit tapered at ends!

here is the link to a book which contains many scientific fact in quran:
www.sunnahonline.com/ilm/quran/qms.pdf