Do not eat & drink with "Left Hand"

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah
Do not eat & drink with "Left Hand"

[Sahih Muslim: Volume 3, Book 23, Number 5007]

Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Radi Allah Anhu) reported Allah's Messenger (sal-allahu- alleihi-wasallam) having said:
"Do not eat with your left hand, for the Satan eats with his left hand."

[Sahih Muslim: Volume 3, Book 23, Number 5008]

Ibn 'Umar (Radi Allah Anhu) reported Allah's Messenger (sal-allahu- alleihi-wasallam) as saying:
"When any one of you intends to eat (meal), he should eat with his right hand. and when he (intends) to drink he should drink with his right hand, for the Satan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand."

[Sahih Muslim: Volume 3, Book 23, Number 5010]

Salim (Radi Allah Anhu), on the authority of his father, reported Allah's Messenger (sal-allahu- alleihi-wasallam) as saying:
"None of you should eat with his left hand and drink with that (left hand), for the Satan eats with left hand and drinks with that (hand). Nafi' has made this addition in that:" Do not take up anything with that (left hand) and do not give anything with that."

[Sahih Muslim: Volume 3, Book 23, Number 5012]

'Umar b. Abu Salama (Radi Allah Anhu) reported: I was under the care of Allah's Messenger (sal-allahu- alleihi-wasallam), and as my hand used to roam about in the dish he said to me:
"Boy, mention the name of Allah, and eat with your right hand and eat from what is near to you."

Our Lord! accept from us; surely Thou art the Hearing, the Knowing

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Jazaki Allah Al-Firdaws for the reminder ukhti..as I do need it so much..I am left-handed and I often *unintentionally* go and have my drinks or eat my food with my left hand..and I either realize that while doing it or after :(..make dua'a for me that I get over this and use my right hand..because I feel so bad about using my left!

Baraka Allaho Feeki time and time again

:wasalam:

vegangoth

Banned
Seriously you can't eat wth your left hand? Apart from the fact that Satan eats with his left hand is there any other reason? If Satan eats then why doesnt Muhammed call for Muslims to stop eating?

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Seriously you can't eat wth your left hand? Apart from the fact that Satan eats with his left hand is there any other reason? If Satan eats then why doesnt Muhammed call for Muslims to stop eating?

Prophet Muhammad saws didnot speak from his desires, but conveys what has been revealed by Allah, your Creator my Creator and Creator of all the Universe...

He taught Muslims the best of manner as revealed to him by Allah...and these etuiqettes includes eating with right hand. Washing hands before eating...
and using left hand to clean themselves when go to restroom...

Unlike follower of desires and Satan (for example in Western Countries) who donot clean themselves even when they go to restroom, they just wipe it with paper and that stinking thing(don't ask my what) remains on their body the whole day...until they take bath (yucks!)...

For such people who donot practice the basic hygiene, it doesnot matter if they use right hand or left hand to eat and drink...

It is such a blessing that Islaam taught Muslims how to remain clean and hygeinic...

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

It's not just about Satan (the sister quoted the ones regarding Satan only)..the left hand is also the hand with which we are supposed to clean ourselves after going to the bathroom..so it's best that we do not use the hand which we *clean ourselves with* to *eat and drink with*..the concept of *taymeen* (literally translated: "right-ing") applies to not only *the hand* but also the *foot*..so for example when entering a house..we are supposed to set our *right foot* first...when we sleep it's recommended that we sleep on our right side..just to give a couple of examples..

And your last bit of logic made me wonder if you were being sarcastic in a situation which *cannot* take such tone...

In Islam..self-harm and the imitation of wrongdoing and/or evil is to be avoided completely or in part according to the specific situation or scenario one is going through and according to the utmost ability of the individual..in this situation..avoiding *eating* would certainly bring *death*..if Rasulullah (saaws) had said *do not eat because Satan eats*..I think *Islam and Muslims* would be *long gone* and thus stand as a story of the past with a moral that's filled with *dark comedy!*..in other words..we would be stirring up some very *awkward laughs*

I really don't know what you were thinking with your example..sometimes in attempt to cease a *GOTCHA!* moment..you can say the silliest things..think with an awareness of the deeper meaning behind what's put before you..before you *utter* or *write* anything

vegangoth

Banned
It's not just about Satan (the sister quoted the ones regarding Satan only)..the left hand is also the hand with which we are supposed to clean ourselves after going to the bathroom..so it's best that we do not use the hand which we *clean ourselves with* to *eat and drink with*..the concept of *taymeen* (literally translated: "right-ing") applies to not only *the hand* but also the *foot*..so for example when entering a house..we are supposed to set our *right foot* first...when we sleep it's recommended that we sleep on our right side..just to give a couple of examples..

And your last bit of logic made me wonder if you were being sarcastic in a situation which *cannot* take such tone...

In Islam..self-harm and the imitation of wrongdoing and/or evil is to be avoided completely or in part according to the specific situation or scenario one is going through and according to the utmost ability of the individual..in this situation..avoiding *eating* would certainly bring *death*..if Rasulullah (saaws) had said *do not eat because Satan eats*..I think *Islam and Muslims* would be *long gone* and thus stand as a story of the past with a moral that's filled with *dark comedy!*..in other words..we would be stirring up some very *awkward laughs*

I really don't know what you were thinking with your example..sometimes in attempt to cease a *GOTCHA!* moment..you can say the silliest things..think with an awareness of the deeper meaning behind what's put before you..before you *utter* or *write* anything

Yes I was being sarcastic with my last bit lol. I didn't really think that Muhamed would suggest not eating lol cause that would be stupid. It just seemed a bit odd to me that he would sugest one thing and use Satan as the excuse but let you carry doing the other thing that Satan does also. I don't undertand why he couldn't just say look "don't eat with the hand you use to wipe yourself after you go to the toilet, cause that's you know gross" that would make so much more sense. So much religious text ( in many diffrent religons) is much more complicated than it needs to be lol.

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
Jazaki Allah Al-Firdaws for the reminder ukhti..as I do need it so much..I am left-handed and I often *unintentionally* go and have my drinks or eat my food with my left hand..and I either realize that while doing it or after :(..make dua'a for me that I get over this and use my right hand..because I feel so bad about using my left!

:salam2: ukhti
may Allah make your affairs easier for you

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Yes I was being sarcastic with my last bit lol. I didn't really think that Muhamed would suggest not eating lol cause that would be stupid. It just seemed a bit odd to me that he would sugest one thing and use Satan as the excuse but let you carry doing the other thing that Satan does also. I don't undertand why he couldn't just say look "don't eat with the hand you use to wipe yourself after you go to the toilet, cause that's you know gross" that would make so much more sense. So much religious text ( in many diffrent religons) is much more complicated than it needs to be lol.

Rasulullah (saaws) was not using Satan as excuse..if Rasulullah says *Satan eats and drinks with his left hand*..then it is because it was revealed/shown to him that *indeed* Satan does that..considering the fact that Satan is our foe..and he is cursed by Allah (swt)...Rasulullah (saaws)..was telling us his traits and habits so we DO NOT imitate him or do things as he does them..even if unintentionally..and a Messenger of Allah would not talk like he's that one teacher from high school who had an opinion about everything and liked to *blabber* all day!..Messengers and Prophets are endowed with *eloquence* and *wisdom* which influences every bit of speech they make!...and there's nothing complicated about religion..if you want to go and understand things without background knowledge..then yes..you will be stomped..otherwise..*all will be crystal clear*

on another note...

I would appreciate it if you use a little more respect and reverence when you speak of religion..specifically..Rasulullah (saaws)..and Islam altogether..sarcasm is never accepted in Islam in conversations regarding Allah..messengers..holy books and so on..even if its innocent..in fact if you are to be sarcastic about religion..a Muslim is supposed to stop conversing with you or leave you until you change the topic or you stop talking in that manner...you said that people are screaming at you here...well there's a reason to everything..

Take a step back..review things..straighten up the tone (lose the lols..and the sarcastic metaphors and examples)..sprinkle A LOT of seriousness on it..and then communicate your questions..comments..opinions..et cetra..WHATEVER THEY MIGHT BE!...if anybody yells at you THEN..then you bet my fellow Muslims will hasten to defend you and put the person being rude back in place!..even *before you* do!..

I thought I should point this out for your own benefit and while I *still* have the patience to communicate with you (especially after you managed to insert the word *stupid* in the same sentence where Rasulullah (saaws) was mentioned!)..this is not because I'm after *you*..but because I and many many many more others do not take kindly to *ANYONE* taking religion lightly not even OTHER MUSLIMS!

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
thank you, thanks a lot for sharing, i do not eat from left hand , but do drink from left hand... but alhamdulillah, i will avoid, such a habit

vegangoth

Banned
Rasulullah (saaws) was not using Satan as excuse..if Rasulullah says *Satan eats and drinks with his left hand*..then it is because it was revealed/shown to him that *indeed* Satan does that..considering the fact that Satan is our foe..and he is cursed by Allah (swt)...Rasulullah (saaws)..was telling us his traits and habits so we DO NOT imitate him or do things as he does them..even if unintentionally..and a Messenger of Allah would not talk like he's that one teacher from high school who had an opinion about everything and liked to *blabber* all day!..Messengers and Prophets are endowed with *eloquence* and *wisdom* which influences every bit of speech they make!...and there's nothing complicated about religion..if you want to go and understand things without background knowledge..then yes..you will be stomped..otherwise..*all will be crystal clear*

on another note...

I would appreciate it if you use a little more respect and reverence when you speak of religion..specifically..Rasulullah (saaws)..and Islam altogether..sarcasm is never accepted in Islam in conversations regarding Allah..messengers..holy books and so on..even if its innocent..in fact if you are to be sarcastic about religion..a Muslim is supposed to stop conversing with you or leave you until you change the topic or you stop talking in that manner...you said that people are screaming at you here...well there's a reason to everything..

Take a step back..review things..straighten up the tone (lose the lols..and the sarcastic metaphors and examples)..sprinkle A LOT of seriousness on it..and then communicate your questions..comments..opinions..et cetra..WHATEVER THEY MIGHT BE!...if anybody yells at you THEN..then you bet my fellow Muslims will hasten to defend you and put the person being rude back in place!..even *before you* do!..

I thought I should point this out for your own benefit and while I *still* have the patience to communicate with you (especially after you managed to insert the word *stupid* in the same sentence where Rasulullah (saaws) was mentioned!)..this is not because I'm after *you*..but because I and many many many more others do not take kindly to *ANYONE* taking religion lightly not even OTHER MUSLIMS!

I apologise for the offence caused.

Is "Rasulullah " Muhammed? And if it is does "Sawws" mean the equvilent to pbuh?

I still don't understand why Muhammed did not make it easier to undertand his word. Or is it more to do with the time it was written? Would it have been easier to undertand back then?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I apologise for the offence caused.

Is "Rasulullah " Muhammed? And if it is does "Sawws" mean the equvilent to pbuh?

I still don't understand why Muhammed did not make it easier to undertand his word. Or is it more to do with the time it was written? Would it have been easier to undertand back then?

acknowledging a fault is the leap towards betterment..I appreciate that you saw the good in what I said

yes Rasulullah is Sayidina Mohammad (saaws)..the word means *messenger of Allah* in Arabic..out of reverence and respect and to distinguish ourselves as believers..the prophet (saaws) is never mentioned by his first name only..Muslims normally mention him by saying *the prophet*..*the messenger*..*the prophet of allah*..*the messenger of allah*..*the beloved*..in Arabic or in English whichever is preferred...if we want or have a need to mention his actual first name then we must say *Sayidina* or *our master* (i.e. teacher..guider..role-model..etc.) before his name..and also we always put *saaws* or *pbuh* after his name or after he is mentioned (saaws)...because *saaws* is the Arabic abbreviation for *allah's blessings and peace be upon him*..and *pbuh* is the English abbreviation for that (i.e. peace be upon him)..this also comes from our reverence and respect towards Rasulullah..and from the divine instructure to do so..

As for wording..when reading hadiths or the Qura'an itself even..you must remember that what you're reading is a translation from a *very dense* language that is Arabic..in Arabic one word can replace literally *an entire sentence (if not more) in the English language*..back then..it was easy to understand the speech made by Rasulullah (saaws)..because due to the divine eloquence bestowed upon him (saaws) he would make a statement of *3 words* that will be *pure crystal clear* to an Arab speaker..and which would have a meaning so dense..that *in English* you need *a paragraph* to translate and explain of the words and their meaning..so the issue here lays in the simplicity of the English language when compared to Arabic..not with *wording* of The Prophet himself..a proof to that some hadith is taught to *first graders* in Arab-Muslim countries..and they would comprhened it just fine..so like I said the issue here is of *lingual incompetence* strictly

I hope that I clarified the matters to you..and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask them..just remember the little suggestion I made to you..which I trust you took to heart (hence the apology in the beginning) :)

vegangoth

Banned
That's a expelnation.

Crikey the whole thing is rather complicated know wonder it's recommended to learn Arabic.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
That's a expelnation.

Crikey the whole thing is rather complicated know wonder it's recommended to learn Arabic.

exactly!..hadith and Qura'an have a special allure to them in their original Arabic..which cannot come close to that one might sense when reading their *translation*..

I'm pleased that I was of help :)

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu Alaikum:)
JazakaAllah khairan for sharing this with us:)
I am left-handed and I often *unintentionally* go and have my drinks or eat my food with my left hand..and I either realize that while doing it or after ..make dua'a for me that I get over this and use my right hand..because I feel so bad about using my left!

Sister Muslimah86, May Allah make this matter easy for you, I am pretty sure you know this but I am going to say it anyway, when you do things unintationally, it's not sin! So, inshaAllah you will get in to the habit of eating and drinking with your right hand, but dont be feeling sad about not doing it because it's not your fault.
Assalaamu Alaikum:)
Allah hafiz now and always:)

vegangoth

Banned
This isn't meaning to offend!!!

Allah is the creator So why dosn't he make every one born right handed? then there would not be an issue with using the wrong hand.