DRESS CODE IN ISLAM

rguyah

Have you ever seen a jeans where the back of it is ripped, torn, or just worn down? I had a few and that normally indicates that is contacting the ground. The hadith is clear proof and evidence:
Book 32, Number 4082:
Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri:
AbdurRahman said: I asked AbuSa'id al-Khudri about wearing lower garment. He said: You have come to the man who knows it very well. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: The way for a believer to wear a lower garment is to have it halfway down his legs and he is guilty of no sin if it comes halfway between that and the ankles, but what comes lower than the ankles is in Hell. On the day of Resurrection. Allah will not look at him who trails his lower garment conceitedly.

seekingtruth2

Wearing a thawb or izaar does a better job of cover the awrah then pants do and it can be could for dawah when the non-muslims see you in that kind of dress and you deal with them in a good why. Also makes it easier for muslims to know each other because a lot of the muslim that dress the same as the non-muslim you can not tell wheather they are muslim or not so you are not sure if you should give them the salams. The Imaam of a masjid should dress that way, if he leads the prayer in pants his awrah will be exposed to those behind him. From the scholars that say wearing pants is aloud still say it is better to wear a thawb or Izaar. Plus why should the women be the only ones in the spotlight being seen as muslims without doubt in public.
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and yes I understood that you were speaking about men however this subject really does apply to both men and women but I can only reply from a womans standpoint as this is what I happen to be....but the dress rules however not as strict for men are still there.....
#2... this hadith about the trailing garment.... I am curious about this? I'm really hoping this only applys to men because I happen to drive a truck ( a pick-up truck).. ( ok, you can laugh) so I try to buy dresses that are longer ie: they all touch the ground, so that I can get in and out without anything showing!!!! hhhmmmmmm

T

TearfulEyes

Seekingtruth2, Salamo Alaikom

I think the hadith about the trailing garment is only for Men. I am not laughing at you cuz u drive a truck, but you have a dilemma here. How would jump in and out from the truck with a long dress? Just curious :d

rguyah

The hadith does clearly mention 'he' so it only refers to the clothing of men. There are numerous hadith about it in the link that I previously posted.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri:
AbdurRahman said: I asked AbuSa'id al-Khudri about wearing lower garment. He said: You have come to the man who knows it very well. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: The way for a believer to wear a lower garment is to have it halfway down his legs and he is guilty of no sin if it comes halfway between that and the ankles, but what comes lower than the ankles is in Hell. On the day of Resurrection. Allah will not look at him who trails his lower garment conceitedly.

I think that answers the question. It's only for men.

Solemn_G

My Theory

As-salaamu alaikum

I have a theory. Islam has been around for 1400 years, has it not? And during those 1400 years Muslims have been doing their best to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet(pbuh), which means they choose to dress like him and immitate him. After 1400 years people have seen Arabs predominently dressing in this fashion so they began to think that it has to do with culture rather than religious reasons. So, in present day people beleive that to dress like the Prophet(pbuh) is to dress like an Arab, when really it is to dress like a Muslim, part of a universal community. That's just my theory, there are probably several contradictions in it, but I lack the necessary knowledge to truly see whether I'm right or wrong.

Also, I find that the clothes of the Prophet(pbuh) are very humble and plain showing modesty and lack of pride. Inshallah, I will immitate the Prophet(pbuh) in this respect as well soon.

PEACE BE UPON YOU!!!

Clothes

:salam2: I like to say people wear it so the people can differentiate between muslim and non muslim in a foreign country. Same like Hijab it shows and tells people I AM A MUSLIM AND I AM PROUD OF IT. Also i guess people wear it out of love for our rasool SAW cause he also used to wear the Abaya or Jubba. Well a lot of people wear the pakistani pathani does not mean that they are trying to copy a pakistani. Just that when you wear that outside a muslim country everybody knows you are a muslim.

T

TearfulEyes

Basicofislam,

Do you know that Pakistani Christians wear the same clothings like Pakistani Muslims?

I am still convinced that there is no Islamic dress for Muslim Men, as long as it is modest and not pure silk.