Du'a before fasting and while finishing the fast: Is it a Bida'h?

Discussion in 'Islamic Discussion' started by Ershad, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Ershad

Ershad Junior Member

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +28 / 0
    Dear brothers and Sisters,

:salam2:

Ramadan Kareem!

I hope Allah is making the fasting easy for everyone. I have a question. It is a practice I have been doing for long and recently there is a debate about it. I would be glad if someone would clear my doubt with references and proofs.

I say (or whisper not read out loud) these du'a before fasting:
    "Wa bisawmi ghadinn nawaiytu min shahri ramadan" which means "I intend to keep the fast for tomorrow in the month of Ramadan" and while finishing the fast "Allahumma inni laka sumtu wa bika aamantu wa alayka tawakkaltu was ala rizq-ika-aftarhu" which means "O Allah! I fasted for You and I believe in You and I put my trust in You and I break my fast with Your sustenance".

I know it is not Fard. But some articles say Prophet Muhammad used to say it ( http://d1.islamhouse.com/data/en/ih_books/single/en_The_Fasting_of_Ramadan_Zeenoo.pdf). Now, some people say that it is wrong and saying these du'a would result in the act of Bida'h. I am confused about this since I have been doing it for long and the meaning of the du'a is not wrong. I am just expressing my intention (not loud, just saying to Allah).

Please clarify if it is a bida'h.

Thank you all.

Allah knows the best. Jazakallahu Khair!
  2. JenGiove

JenGiove Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0

Since you do not know me, I will let you know that I am not a Muslim but I hope that your Ramadan is filled with peace and joy thus far.

I think this is an EXCELLENT question and the answer is something that needs to be known. I took a moment and looked up this information for you. I hope it is useful for you.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/37805/dua before fasting

3. JenGiove

JenGiove Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0

I just found this one as well relating to Iftar..

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/124410/dua before fasting

4. Ershad

Ershad Junior Member

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +28 / 0
    Dear sister,

Salaam.

I hope you will embrace Islam someday. Ameen. May Allah's blessing and guidance be upon you. Thank you for the article. I have read it before. But it didn't convince me. First I am not sure about the source. I don't understand which is authentic and which is not. The site I mention has articles by Bilal Philips and Zakir Naik who are well known for their correctness. As quoted by your article "The intention is subject to the condition that it be made at night, before the dawn comes, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not intend to fast before dawn, there is no fast for him.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 730. According to a version narrated by al-Nasaa’i (2334): “Whoever does not intend to fast from the night before, there is no fast for him.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 573. What is meant is that whoever does not intend to fast and resolve to do so from the night before, his fast is not valid. "

Now, like it said I understand quoting it loud would be a bida'h which I do not do. Also we understand that we have to make this niyaah. What is wrong in making it in arabic or any other language? Both mean the same thing right? How would that cause a bida'h? The article I provided says " At the time if breaking the fast, the Messenger of Allah (sal-Allahu 'alayhe wa sallam) used to say: ((The thirst has gone and the veins are moistened, and the reward is confirmed, if Allah wills)), [Hasan, transmitted by Abu Daawood]; " Please check the etiquettes of fasting section in it. Here is another article mentioning it : http://sunnah.org/ibadaat/fasting/ramadan_breakfast.htm. This is a article by Dr.Bilal Philips and he also mentions about du'a while breaking the fast : http://www.fastramadan.com/ramadan_and_fasting.php.

I am confused.

Jazakallahu Khair!

Hope I get more convincing answer.
  5. Janaan
    sunnah

Janaan ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا Staff Member

Amatullaah
    Ratings Received:
    +456 / 3
    As-salaamu `alaikum warahmatullaah !

Brother, out of the two 'suplications', the former is considered bid`ah. The one with the "wa bisawmi ghadin..." This is because there are no reports indicating Rasool-Allaah making that 'suplication'. We are told to make "intentions" before fasting in order for it to be valid. This "intention" should be concealed.. The tongue should not be uttering it. It is not an "action". You said that your reason for saying it outloud(or whispering, though I do not see a difference between the two because your tongue, lips etc will still be 'moving' despite whatever volume you make of your voice) is because you're saying it to Allaah? Well, just so you know, Allaah SWT knows whatever is in our hearts. He's All-knower. You do not need to say it outloud for Him(subhaanu wa ta`aala) for He is already aware of your intention.

And the du`aa you read when opening your fast is correct (it's in the Husnul Muslim as well, I think). I don't believe I, or anyone has told you that reading it was bid`ah, akhy.

Read through sis Jen's post(I think Tabassum has also posted the same fatwa in the other thread for you... But it won't hurt to read it once more)... Hope things are more clear now, Insha'Allaah!
    :)
  6. JenGiove

JenGiove Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0
    Brother,

First, thank you for your Dua as I know it is from the heart and that should never be rejected.

As for the source, I found the site because of the moderators here. Also, when you goto the "About the site" section, it tells you who runs the site and how the Fatwah's are issued. I can understand your distrust and that is a good thing to have...I hope you receive the answers you are looking for.
  7. Ershad

Ershad Junior Member

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +28 / 0
    :wasalam:

Dear Sister,

Okay. It is a bit clear. But I need more clarification. Saying out loud and whispering are different. By saying out loud I disturb others. Do you have any proof for the fact that lips and tongue should not move while making niyyat? or Is it not clearly stated in Qur'an. If it is not clearly stated, either way is accepted right?

Regarding the first supplication. How do you make your niyyat? Must be in your language right? Similarly, I consider Arabic to be the lingua franca of Islam. So, I am making my niyyat in arabic with those words. How can this be bida'h?

If you have substantiate and give more explanation, I will be happy. I hope you understand how confused I am.

Thank you for your efforts.

Jazakallahu Khair!
  8. JenGiove

JenGiove Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0

Brother, I just found this one and thought I'd pass it on. I understand your reluctance to accept this from the website but maybe it'll help guide you towards more answers...like a stepping stone.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13337/intention

Brother, I just found this one as well. I hope it helps. To me, it can not be refuted since it comes straight from the General Presidency of Scholarly Research and Ifta.

In case the link doesn't work properly, I used English language with the search string "niyyah" and it was the 4th link down.

[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"][SIZE=2"][SIZE=2"]

[/size][/size][/SIZE][/FONT]
  9. Ershad

Ershad Junior Member

Student
    Ratings Received:
    +28 / 0

Dear Sister,

Thank you for the link. I am not reluctant. I checked about the site and I believe it is genuine. I think this explanation is more clear. I can't believe I have been wrong all these days. Anyway, not too late to learn.

Thanks so much for clarifying. You are not a muslim but you still try to learn it. I am impressed by it. Thank you again.

Jazakallahu Khair!
  10. JenGiove

JenGiove Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0
    Brother,

I was happy to be of service. Ramadan kareem..be well.
  11. Tabassum07

Tabassum07 Smile for Allah

Ratings Received:
    +436 / 5

Alhamdulillah brother, that all the brothers' and sisters' posts in this thread and the other one have helped you understand the truth.
  12. uddim004

uddim004 Junior Member

student
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    i can't belive i was saying these my whole life. this ramadan muslim aid sent me a fridge magnet with their letter and it had these dua's but if its wrong, its wrong
  13. Tabassum07

Tabassum07 Smile for Allah

Ratings Received:
    +436 / 5

Just to clarify, the dua for the intention to start the fast is bidah. However, we can say the dua to break the fast.
  14. queenislam
    Fine

queenislam ★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★

Educator.
    Ratings Received:
    +794 / 12
    It's Wajib To Say The Intention And Not Bid'ah!

~~~

Dear sister;

For the fasting of Ramadhan, the obligatory fasts and other fasting (ie, fasting vows, and some cases), required intention done at night or before dawn(before fajar Azan)
    because the Prophet Muhammad s.a.w said;
    "He/She who does not pronounce/say the intention of fast at night or before dawn(before Azan Fajar) there is no fast for him" .
    (Reported by Imam Daruqutni and Sufis from Aisha).

The 3 rule of fasting is:
    1: To Fast.
    2: To say the Intention of fasting.
    3:Abstain from the things that invalidate the fast.

Fasting is wajib is an Ibadah.
    We have to say the Intention because it's the beginning of fasting.

Even making up fast
    like because of menstruation(for woman),some other those who miss like sick,e.t.c
    still have to say their intention too for the make up fast.

Fating of sunnat too have to say the intention of exactly what type of fast we are
    performing
    like:
    Fasting six days in Shawwal;
    Fasting the day of 'Arafah (9th Muharram)
    e.t.c

For a month of Ramadhan intentions/niat fasting to be said at earliest of
    Ramadhan fasting to be start the next day.
    And one doesn't need to say the intention anymore.

But for a daily of intention say before the start of each fast day in Ramadhan should be say every day before fajar Azan and to avoid eating after the intention make even not timed yet for fajar Azan!

Not necessarily the fasts intentions to expressed in Arabics, (Mention the name of what we about to fast example Ramadhan fasting)
    The Intentions to be said before dawn hours before Fajar Azan.

The above is about the intentions/niat to perform fast in Ramadhan or any fast performing.

Dear sister;
    I hope my explaination is clear as
    this is what i've learn .

If you choose not to follow, the decision is yours.

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide us~Amin!

Ramadhan Kariim Al Mubarak!

Thank you ,
    Take care!
    ~Wassalam :)
  15. abdul-aziz

abdul-aziz Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0

let's start with the first question as I understood by your questions.

Intentions:

reference:

An-nawawi 40 hadith:

"Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have what he intended. Thus, he whose migration (hijrah) was to Allah and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

commentary can be found: here
    additional hadith about deeds with commentary:here
    Yes you need to make your intention and for fasting it is night before the fasting day. The night before the fasting day ends at fajr that day.

The bidaah part is when you say it out loud. You don't need to say out loud your intentions as Allah states about His knowledge:

[Hilali-Khan] Or say they: "He has invented a lie against Allah?" If Allah willed, He could have sealed your heart (so that you forget all that you know of the Qur'an). And Allah wipes out falsehood, and establishes the truth (Islam) by His Word (this Qur'an). Verily, He knows well what (the secrets) are in the breasts (of mankind).[42:24]

[Hilali-Khan] He knows what is in the heavens and on earth, and He knows what you conceal and what you reveal. And Allah is the All-Knower of what is in the breasts (of men). [64:4]

There is a bidaah where people utter or mumble that they are going to like pray salat al asr or salat so and so and feel they are required to do so. Only this part of the action is bidaah.

Now for your other question that I understood.

There is a lot of value of making duaa when someone completes or is about to complete an act of worship. IE. in salah, after tashahud and salat ala nabi SAW and Ibrahim Alayhi assalam and after the salah. Duaa can be made in fact all through out the salah. Same with fasting, it is from the sunnah to make duaa upon the time of breaking the fast. As you mentioned Dr. Gibril Hadaad article reference:http://sunnah.org/ibadaat/fasting/ramadan_breakfast.htm

This is correct but let me make 1 note. The duaa Dhahab az zamaa’u.... is to be said after you had satisfied yourself of thirst and hunger.

Also you could make as many other duaa as you wish as it is mentioned that one of the times Allah answers duaa more than others is the time of breaking a fast. I don't have the hadith in reference to that sorry.

Third question I understood you asked: Is should you utter or speak out loudly your duaa. You can and normal supplication is by moving of the lips and it is not necessary to make any recognizable sound. You also can say it in your heart if you want to make it a private affair between you and Allah.

Also QueenIslam made some very good comments as well. She said Fating but she meant Fasting.

:wasalam:
  16. JenGiove

JenGiove Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0

While looking for a different answer, I found this fatwah and remembered this thread....as if it was yesterday actually, and thought I'd post the fatwah for everyone to see. I'm sorry but I can't seem to fix the exposed HTML code completely...

From the General Presidency: