Dutch govt to ban Islamic face-covering veils

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
Dutch govt to ban Islamic face-covering veils

Sep 16, 2011

AMSTERDAM: The Dutch government said on Friday it will ban face-covering veils worn by some Muslim women because these flout the Dutch way of life and culture.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte also announced tougher rules for immigrants and asylum-seekers wanting Dutch nationality who, in future, must show they have earned income and have not received financial assistance or benefits for at least three years.

The country’s reputation as relatively easy on immigration has changed over the past decade, reflecting voter concerns over the large number of Muslim immigrants.

“The government believes the wearing of clothing that completely or almost entirely covers the face is fundamentally at odds with public life, where people are recognized by their faces,” the government said in a statement on Friday.

“Face-covering clothing prevents this and goes against the principles of equality between men and women, especially women.”

The new measures reflect the influence wielded by populist politician Geert Wilders, whose anti-Islam, anti-immigration Freedom Party is the third-largest in parliament.

Wilders has a pact with the minority coalition government to provide crucial support in parliament in exchange for tougher policies on Islam and immigration from non-Western countries.

The Liberal-Christian Democrat coalition government has already faced tough opposition from Wilders’ Freedom Party over its support for euro zone bailouts, and needs to keep it on side in order to push ahead with crucial budget cuts.

The government said it did not consider the ban on face-covering veils a restriction of religious freedom, but that even if it was, it was “necessary and justified in the interest of protecting the character and way of life in the Netherlands.”

The proposals will first be presented to the council of state, the administrative court, and then to parliament.

No time frame was given, but Wilders has said he hopes to introduce the ban on face-covering veils this year or next.

Arabic-style niqabs which leave the eyes uncovered and Afghan-style burqas that cover the face with a cloth grid are far less commonly seen on the streets of the Netherlands than Muslim headscarves which leave the face exposed.

France imposed a ban on burqas last year and on Friday banned street prayers.

Ershad

assalamu Alaikkum,

All due to the zionist Geert Wilders. He won't stop till he bans the Qur'an. He compares it to Mein Kampf. The day he was acquitted of hate speech against muslims, I figured, it is going to be a hard time in future for Dutch muslims.

Hatty

I think this is somewhat good news. So in the future they do not talk about Muslim countries if and when they introduce measures against practices that go against our culture and heritage - such as measures that does not allowed the wearing of short skirts and see through clothing and alcohol and nightclubs etc ...

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Europe is starting to suck :/

I never see America doing this. As long as our constitution goes unchanged - women will be allowed to wear Niqab.

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
Europe is starting to suck :/

I never see America doing this. As long as our constitution goes unchanged - women will be allowed to wear Niqab.

America is headed in Europe's direction with growing islamophobia here. check out the thread on this topic to see for yourself.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
America is headed in Europe's direction with growing islamophobia here. check out the thread on this topic to see for yourself.

Yes I know America has Islamophobia, but our constitution guarantees the right for individuals to choose what to wear, choose what religion to follow.

Im not saying there isnt a 1% chance it will happen because I dont know the future. But based on our constitution and how changing 1 right will leave the whole thing open to change - I am quite sure it wont happen. At least in our lifetime.

The minute the Conservatives want to limit what we wear or what religion we practice, the liberals will take their guns away. Its a delicate balance of tolerating something they dont understand in order to keep what they love.

Come to Georgia or Texas, and tell someone you think guns should be made illegal ;)

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com
Yes I know America has Islamophobia, but our constitution guarantees the right for individuals to choose what to wear, choose what religion to follow.

Im not saying there isnt a 1% chance it will happen because I dont know the future. But based on our constitution and how changing 1 right will leave the whole thing open to change - I am quite sure it wont happen. At least in our lifetime.

The minute the Conservatives want to limit what we wear or what religion we practice, the liberals will take their guns away. Its a delicate balance of tolerating something they dont understand in order to keep what they love.

Come to Georgia or Texas, and tell someone you think guns should be made illegal ;)

You should read more on what's going in washington. Last few years, several bills have passed giving the president unprecedented powers, including cancel some of your constitutional rights. Lot has happened that you are unaware of. I wouldn't keep my hopes too high...

btw, I hope your not in cobb country, I really hate that place.

JenGiove

Asalaamu alaikum,

Besides, since "Freedom of Religion" is part of the Bill Of Rights, that can't be changed. Amendments can be ADDED, but nothing can be removed...so the practice of religion is protected. While banning the niqab can be enacted IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS, like government building or banks or such, Shariah law says that uncovering the face in those situations is allowed for the purpose of identification..

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2198/face veil

sabina isa

Asalaamu alaikum,

Besides, since "Freedom of Religion" is part of the Bill Of Rights, that can't be changed. Amendments can be ADDED, but nothing can be removed...so the practice of religion is protected. While banning the niqab can be enacted IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS, like government building or banks or such, Shariah law says that uncovering the face in those situations is allowed for the purpose of identification..

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2198/face veil

Sister, you amaze me. You not only have learned Islam, but you can teach very well, very beneficial knowledge. May Allah bless it.:hijabi:

Wannabemuslim

I dont care what "extremes" people take it to, or what they call it, by there is some kind of world order, and its not as secretive as some people think imo, we are letting all this stuff happen while we witness it passing by. People think " the government does what it wants, we arnt to be blamed"<this is not the case. I dont know about every one else here, but in 10 years i dont want to be shooting at people who are my brothers, all the video games are about war these days, all the news on Cnn is about muslims. Things deffinatly seem to be getting closer to a ww3.

septithol

Banned
Hatty wrote: I think this is somewhat good news. So in the future they do not talk about Muslim countries if and when they introduce measures against practices that go against our culture and heritage - such as measures that does not allowed the wearing of short skirts and see through clothing and alcohol and nightclubs etc ...

Hatty, I would say you are half right (and it IS a very good argument). There is not a single GOVERNMENT on this planet that has a right to point the finger at Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries for having a law about what to wear, because (so far as I know), every other government on the planet ALSO has laws about what to wear, or not wear.

Now, if there were a government (which there isn't) which actually HAD no such laws, and allowed people to choose to wear anything they wanted, be it hijab, halloween costumes, or total nudity, then THAT government would have a right to point a finger at Saudi Arabia about having laws telling people what to wear. But there is no such government in the world right now. Governments love taking all the power they can, from people foolish enough to hand it to them in return for a little temporary and imaginary 'safety'.

Mind you, as I said, you are half right. Governments have no such right to criticize Saudi Arabia's laws on dress, since they all have such laws themselves, but certain private individuals do. Myself, for instance. I disagree with the laws in Saudi Arabia *compelling* hijab, and I ALSO disagree with the Dutch laws *forbidding* hijab. As well as the laws everywhere in the world regarding either what clothing to wear, or forbidding nudity.

NONE of the above laws are acceptable to me, I disagree with ALL governments, including my own in the US on such laws. What to wear or not wear should be a matter of individual choice (unless safety in some job dicates certain sorts of dress). In fact, if I were a Muslim, and valued my right to wear hijab, I would STILL advocate this principal of individual choice in dress, even if I found the way other people dressed to be 'immodest' or 'offensive'.

Why?

Because once you grant that any government has a right to tell anyone how to dress (even if they are telling them at the moment to dress the way you personally happen to like), you've given up your own best argument against some government, somewhere, telling YOU how to dress, in some way that YOU don't like.