Era of Ali Ibn Abu Taleb,

asalaf salih

Era of Ali Ibn Abu Taleb, May Allah be pleased with him
The era of Ali Ibn Abu Taleb, May Allah be pleased with him, witnessed several political crises which plagued the Muslim society. But as it was a great and well structured society built up by the Messenger of Allah, SAWA, it didn’t collapse but it remained intact, with its individuals being coherent and cooperative. Following are examples of solidarity and adhesion of the society at this era. We in this subject of research deal with two features:
First: His concern for and relief of his subjects
Second: Examples of the abovementioned
First: His concern for and relief of his subjects
Although he was the Caliph of the Muslims, Imam Ali, May Allah be pleased with him, was in the habit of frequenting the markets of Koofa, guiding the misguided and helping the meek. He might even meet the old, carrying their effects. Sometimes his closest aides felt awkward at this and wondering how the Caliph of the Believers did so[1]. But he reminded them of ayahs in the Qu'ran in which Allah said"[2] That is the Last Home. We make it for the ones who would not like exaltation in the earth nor corruption, and the (fortunate) End is for the pious.
Out of his conviction of the necessity to set an example for Muslims, he donated a plot of land in Yanbo area, which he was allotted by Omar Ibn Al Khattab, May Allah be pleased with him. While he was digging a well in this area, his workers were surprised at a huge fountain of water as thick as a camel's neck. After they ended digging and the well abounded with water, Ali decided to donate it for the poor and the needy for the cause of Allah. In his will he wrote: This is what Ali Ibn Abu Taleb willed as part of his legacy: I donated Yanbo, Wadi Al Kora, Azneya and Ra'a, seeking Allah's Grace and His Good Pleasure. I will that this charity be used for the interest of all Muslims both at war and in peace , on soldiers, remote and close relatives, and these plots of land shall not be floated for sale or gifted to specific persons to the exclusion of others, nor shall they be inherited either in my life or after. In doing this, I only seek the Good Pleasure of Allah and the Paradise in the Hereafter, hoping that He accept this donation from me as He is the Best of the Interstaters.[3]
As Ibn Kathir related that a man came to Ali Ibn Taleb, May Allah be pleased with him, and said: Oh, Emir of the Believers, I need a favor from you, but I prayed to Allah before I asked you, so if you do me this favor, then I will thank Allah and thank you, otherwise I will thank Allah and excuse you. "Write what you need on the ground as I hate to see humiliation of begging on your face", Ali said. So the man wrote on the ground" I need clothing". Ali then ordered new clothes for the man. The man took the new clothes and improvised a poem in which he thanked Imam Ali, May Allah be pleased with him, and prayed that Allah reward him clothes in the Paradise. The man in his poem also called on all people to do favor, citing the notion "one good turn deserves another ".
Admired at his reply and his poem, Imam Ali ordered one of his aides to bring him one hundred dinars and he gave it to the man. Seeing this, Al Asbagh, one of the people who witnessed the incident, wondered " Oh, Emir of the Believers, clothes and one hundred dinars?!!" " Yes," Ali said, citing the prophet, SAWA, as ordaining to "appreciate the people at their real worth[4] " and I see this man is worth this", Ali said.[5]
This abovementioned situation illustrates the social conscience of the Emir of Believers Ali Ibn Abu Taleb, May Allah be pleased with him, as he felt for the needy, catered for their needs and considered their feelings.
An example of his justice and his sound and right policy concerning the funds of the Nation is that he considered any money coming to the House of Charity as purely for the poor and the needy and for catering of the needy, with the aim to curb poverty so that the Nation lead a decent life. So he adopted his right guided policy which provided that "Allah imposed amounts of money taken from the rich to the poor, as poverty emerges with the extravagance of the rich!". He went on distributing handouts to the poor and the needy until he had nothing left[6].
Once he, May Allah be pleased with him, received funds, he only divided all of them until late in the day. One day his caller Amer Ibn Al Nabbah said to him: Oh, Emir of the Believers, the House of Charity now bustles with gold and silver." Allah is Great", he said and he accompanied Ibn Al Nabbah to the House of Charity, saying "Oh, Ibn Al Nabbah, bring me the poor of the Koofa. Ibn el Nabbah related that people were called and given all that was in the House of Charity, while Ali was repeating and addressing "I will not allow the worldly desires to drag my leg, and will pursue my charity and donations until I spend all dinars and dirhams on the poor and the needy
Second Feature: Further Examples in His Era
Not only did Imam Ali pursue his generosity and favor deeds, but he also brought up his children to giving and charity for the needy and the poor. It was related by Imam Ali, May Allah be pleased with him, that he addressed the people saying, "Al Hassan- his son- raised funds and he would like to divide it among you. When the people came, Al Hassan stood up and said "I only raised it for the poor". On saying this, half of the people stood up[7].

All the forms of charity and relief which we quoted from the era of the rightly guided caliphs do illustrate that this principle took root within the society which was brought up at the hands of the prophet, SAWA. The society individuals also adhered to Islam and its principles, thus dominating the world, giving a lesson that the reform of individuals is indispensable for the reform of society. It means that the fragile and badly structured individuals cannot make up a powerful society.
[1] Ibn Kathir in al Bedaya Wa Al Nihaya , volume 8/ 6, See also, Khaled Mohammed Khaled in his book Caliphs of the Messenger, page 287
[2] Al Qasas 83
[3] Ibn hazm: almohalla 6{180}fikh ali p 626
[4] abu Dawood, Kitab El Adab, Chapter" appreciating people at their real worth" No. 4842, see also Al Mottaki Al Hindy in his book Kanz Al Ommal , No. 5718, Al Albany said that this hadith is incompletely transmitted.
[5] Ibn Kathir in Al Bidaya Wal Nihaya 8/9
[6] Al Zamakhshary in Rabeea Al Abrar 1/420

[7] Al Zahabi in Siyar A'alam Al Nobala'a 3/261