Essential Lessons for Every Muslim by Shaykh Abdul-Aziz bin Abdullah bin Baz

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum.

These lessons have been taken from Shaykh Abdullaah bin Baaz book - Essential Lessons for Every Muslim. It was very good and I felt it would be beneficial here - Insha'Allaah.

You can read the Shaykh's biography here, just in case you forgot one of his teachers - :) :) :).

http://www.fatwa-online.com/scholarsbiographies/15thcentury/ibnbaaz.htm

May Allaah have mercy on him.

Ameen.

Walaykum Salaam.

Lesson One

Memorisation of Suwar [plural of Surah.]

To memorise Surat al-Fatihah, and from Surat az-Zalzalah to Surat an-Naas. Memorisation of these Suwar should be accompanied with a good recitation as well as a deep understanding of their meanings.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Two

The Declaration of Faith

To know the meaning of the Declaration of Faith:

'Ash-hadu an la ilaha illallahu wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulullah'

- and to know the conditions of the statement:

'La ilaha illallah.'

The meaning of the Declaration of Faith is:

I bear witness that there is no god worthy of worship except Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His Messenger.

The phrase 'La ilaha' negates the existence of all deities, while the phrase 'ilallah' conforms the right of Lordship and Godship to Allah Who Alone deserves to be worshipped.

The conditions of this declaration are as follows:

1) Knowledge which negates ignorance.

2) Certainty which negates doubt.

3) Sincerity of worship which negates Shirk.

4) Truthfulness which negates lying.

5) Love which negates hate.

6) Complete submission which negates rebellion.

7) Acceptance which negates rejection.

8) Rejection of all those that are unjustly worshipped besides Allah (
subhaanahu wa ta'aala)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Three

The Articles of Eemaan or Faith

The articles of Eemaan are six: Belief in:

1) Allah.

[Allaah – the Creator of the Universe. Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) is singular and is not human nor part of a Trinity, as in Christianity.]

Refer to thread below with more information in relation to Allaah (the All-Mighty and Majestic:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58853

2) His Angels

3) His revealed Books.

4) His Messengers.

5) The Last Day, and

6) The Divine Preordainment, or Al-Qadar, the good of it and the bad of it.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Four

The Categories of Tawheed

Tawheed - the Oneness of Allaah
Tawheed has three categories:

1) Tawheed ar-Ruboobiyyah, or Oneness of the Lordship of Allah. This means that Allah is the only Lord of all the worlds. He is the Creator, the Sustainer, the Planner, the Organiser, the One Who gives life and causes death, etc.

2) Tawheed al-Uloohiyyah, or the Oneness of the worship of Allah. This means that no one has the right to be worshipped but Alllah.

3) Tawheed al-Asma'i was-Sifaat, or the Uniqueness of the Names and Attributes of Allah. We must believe in all of Allah's Beautiful Names and Lofty Attributes; none can be named or given Allah's Attributes. We must also confirm all Allah's Attributes which He has stated in the Qur'aan or mentioned through His Messenger Muhammad :saw:, without changing them, ignoring them completely, twisting their meanings, or likening them any of those of His creatures.

:saw: Sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam – May Allaah send prayers and salutations upon him.

Shirk also has three categories. They are:

Shirk – polytheism, associating partners in the worship of Allaah.
1) Shirk Akbar, or major Shirk.

2) Shirk Asghar, or minor Shirk.

3) Shirk Khafiyy, or hidden Shirk.

The major Shirk is bound to cause the good works of those who commit it to be vain and fruitless. It is also bound to cause those who commit it to remain in Hell-fire for all eternity, as the Qur'aan says:

"But if they were to join others with Allah in worship, all that they used to do would be of no benefit to them." (6:88)

"It is not for those who join others with Allah in worship to maintain the mosques of Allah while they witness against their own souls to disbelief. The works of such are in vain, and in Fire shall they dwell." (9:17)

Those who die in the state of Shirk will not be forgiven their sins and they will be forbidden admittance to Paradise, as the Qur'aan says:

"Verily, Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him in worship, but He forgives anything else, to whom He pleases. (4:48)

"Verily, whoever sets up partners with Allah in worship, Allah will forbid him Paradise, and the Fire will be his abode. The polytheists and wrongdoers will have no helpers." (5:72)

This type of Shirk in an unpardonable sin and includes, among other things, such acts as seeking assistance from the dead and the idols, supplicating them, making vows in their names and offering sacrifices to them.

The minor Shirk includes such things as showing off certain relgious acts of worship, swearing by other than Allah, and one's saying,
"If Allah and so-and-so wills."

At-Tabarani and Al-Bayhaqee reported on the authority of Mahmud bin Labid al-Ansari (radhiyAllaahu anh), with a good chain of narrators, that the Prophet :saw: said:

"What I fear for you most is the minor Shirk."

When he was asked about what he meant by the minor Shirk, he replied,

"Showing off."

The Prophet :saw: also said:

"Whoever swears by other than Allah has indeed committed Shirk."

Radhi-yallaahu ‘anhu – literally means, “May Allaah be pleased with him”.
Rahima-hullaah – literally means, “May Allaah have mercy upon him”.
Imam Ahmad (rahimahullaah) authentically narrated his tradition on the authority of Umar (radhiyAllaahu anh). Abu Dawood and At-Tirmidhee also authentically reported on the authority of Ibn 'Umar (radhiyAllaahu anh) that the Prophet :saw: said:

"Whoever swears by other than Allah has indeed disbelieved or committed Shirk."

Abu Dawood also authentically reported on the authority of Hudhaifah bin al-Yaman (radhiyAllaahu anh) that the Prophet :saw: said:

"Do not say, 'What Allah wills and so-and-so wills'; you should rather say, 'What Allah wills, then what so-and-so wills."

To commit this type of Shirk does not take one out of the fold of Islam, nor does it cause those who commit it to abide in the Fire forever. It rather goes against the ideal principles of Tawheed.

The evidence for the third category of Shirk, namely Shirk Al-Khafiyy, or the Hidden Shirk, comes from the Prophetic tradition in which the Prophet :saw: said

"Shall I not inform you about what I fear more for you than the Antichrist?"

The Companions replied,

"Yes, O Allah's Messenger."

Then he said,

"It is the hidden Shirk. A person stands up in prayer and tries to make it perfect when he realises that others are looking at him."

[Imam Ahmad reported this hadeeth on the authority of Abu Sa'id al-Khudri (radhiyAllaahu anh).]

Shirk can also be divided into two categories only, namely, the major Shirk and the minor Shirk. The hidden Shirk can occur in them both. It can be found in the major Shirk, like the type of Shirk committed by the hypocrites, who reveal their belief while concealing their false beliefs for fear of being killed. It can also occur in the case of minor Shirk in the form of showing off, as evidenced by the above mentioned hadeeth reported on the authority of Mahmud bin Labid.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
:salam2:

Jazak Allah Khair Akhi.

I think this is a good Sticky!

Wasalam Amirah80

Assalaamu'Alaykum,

Shukran Jazeelan

May Allah bless you with good. Ameen

Sticky - I am not sure, let's see what happens. :)

Walaykum Salaam.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Five

The Pillars of Islam.

Islam is based on the following five pillars:

1) To testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger. This declaration in Arabic reads:

"Ash-hadu an la ilaha illallah, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulullah."

2) To offer the five compulsory prayers dutifully and pefectly.

3) To pay Zakah, or obligatory alms.

4) To observe fast during the month of Ramdhaan.

5) To perform Hajj, or pilgrimage to Makkah, for those who can afford it physically and financially.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Six

The Conditions of Prayer

The conditions of prayers in Islaam are nine. They are:

1) Islaam.

Islaam – literally means “Total submission to the Will of Allaah”. In this context, Islaam is the only religion recognised by Allaah. Its message (There is none truly worthy of worship except Allaah) was the same Message delivered by all Prophets. This divine religion was completed with revelations in the form of the Noble Qur’aan given to the last Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam).

2) Sanity.

3) Discernment.

4) Major and minor cleanliness.

5) Removal of impurity.

6) Covering the private parts.

7) Commencement of the actual of time prayer.

8) Facing the Qiblah.

Qiblah – the direction to the Ka’bah in Makkah, where Muslims turn to in prayer.

9) Intention.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Seven

Pillars of Salah, or Prayers

The pillars of prayers are fourteen. They are:

1) Standing with the ability to do so.

2) The Takbir
[One's saying, Allaahu Akbar.] which signals the commencement of prayers.

Allaahu Akbar – literally means “Allaah is the Greatest.”

3) The recitation of Surah al-Fatiahah.

4) The act of bowing.

5) Rising from it (bowing)

6) Standing (all the way) upright after bowing.

7) Prostrating on the seven parts.

[The seven parts are: the forehead and the nose, the two hands, the two knees, and the toes of both feet. All these parts should be touching the floor while in the prostrating position.]

8) Rising from it (prostration).

9) Sitting between the two prostrations.

10) Deep concentration, peacefulness and tranquility during all acts of prayers.

11) The recitation of the final Tashahhud.

12) Sitting while reciting the final Tashahhud.

13) Invoking Allah's blessing upon the Prophet :saw:.

14) The pronouncement of the two Taslim.

By Taslim is meant one's saying Assalaamu 'Alaykum to one's right and then one's left.
Tashahhud – the recitation of the invocation:: ((at-tahiyyaatu lillaahe)) up to ((wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan Rasoolullaah)), while in the qu’ood posture in salaah.
Qu’ood – the sitting posture in salaah.
Salaah (pl. Salawaat) – term referred to specific supplications and actions, correctly understood as prayers. The Muslims are required to perform five daily prayers. It is one of the five pillars of Islaam.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Eight

The Obligations of Salah

The obligations of prayers are eight. They are

1) All the other Takbirat [plural of Takbir] apart from the Takbir which signals the commencement of prayers.

2) One's saying, "Sami'-Allaahu liman hamidah." [may Allaah hear whoever praises Him.] For both the Imam and the person who is praying individually.

3) One's saying, "Rabbana wa lakal-hamd" [Our Lord, praise is Yours.] for the Imam, those who are following him, and the person who is praying individually.

4) One's saying, "Subhana Rabbiyal-'Azeem" [Glory to my Lord the Exalted.] while bowing.

5) One's saying, "Subhana Rabbiyal-A'la" [Glory to my Lord, the Most High.] while prostrating.

6) One's saying, "Rabbigh-fir Li" "Rabbigh-fir Li" [My Lord, forgive me, My Lord, forgive me.] between the two prostrations.

7) The recitation of the first Tashahhud.

8) Sitting while reciting the first Tashahhud.

[I have added the audio files for sake of memorisation.]

Attachments

• 2 - Rising from Rukoo.mp3
    49 KB · Views: 12
  • 3 -.mp3
    46.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 4 - Rukoo - Bowing.mp3
    44.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 5 - Prostration.mp3
    56.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 6 - Sitting between both Prostrations.mp3
    63.7 KB · Views: 20

AAminAA

Amatullah

May Allah s.w.t., reward you sister :) I have this book, so if you need help, just PM me.

Barak Allahu feek

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Nine

Tashahhud

The Tashahhud is as follows:

"At-tahyiyatu lilllahi, wassala-watu wattayybatu, Assalamu alaka ayyuhan-nabiyyu wa rahmatullahi wabarakatuhu. Assalamu alayna wa ala ibadillahis-salihin. Ash-hadu an la-ilaha-illallah wa ash-hadu anna Mohammedan abduhu wa Rasuluhu,"
"Allahumma sali ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad kama salyata ala Ibrahim, wa ala ali Ibrabih, innaka Hamidun Majid, wa barik ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad kma barkt ala Ibrahim wa ala ali Ibrahim innak Hamid Majid.
"

This means:

"Greeting to Allah, and blessings and goodness. Peace and mercy and blessings of Allah be on you, O Prophet, May peace be upon us and on the righteous slaves of Allah. I bear witness that there is no god worthy of worship but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger.

O Allah, send Your Favor (Graces and Honours) on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad as You have sent Your Favour (Graces and Honours) on Ibrahim and on the family of Ibrahim. You are the Most Praised, Most Glorious. O Allah, bestow Your Blessings on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad as You have blessed Ibrahim and the family of Ibrahim. You are the Most Praised, Most Glorious."

In the final Tashahhud, one should seek Allah's refuge from punishment in the Fire, the punishment in the grave, the trials and tribulations of life and death, and the trial of the Antichrist. Then one should recite any supplications one desires, but preferably those that the Prophet :saw: has taught us.

[I have attached the Tashahhud which contains no English translation for the sake of memorisation. Jazak-Allaahu Khayr to brother alkathiri who provided the source for the audio file, I have simply edited it slightly.]

Attachments

• Tashahhud - Part 3.mp3
    195.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Tashahhud - Part 1.mp3
    333.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Tashahhud - Part 2.mp3
    369 KB · Views: 20

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member

May Allah s.w.t., reward you sister :) I have this book, so if you need help, just PM me.

Barak Allahu feek

Assalaamu'Alaykum,

May Allah bless you with good. Ameen.

I am a brother by the way.

There isn't that many lessons, a very concise book, but if you want to post some go ahead. :) [I am stopping here for now.]

Walaykum Salaam.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Ten

The Sunan of Prayers

[Plural of Sunnah, which means anything that the Prophet :saw:, said, did, or approved. Yet, here it refers to the non-obligatory acts that are recommended for extra reward and perfection of the prayer.]

These include the following:

1) The supplication of Istifah, or the commencement of prayers.
An example of the supplication of Istifah is:

"Subhanak-Allaahumma wa bihamdika, wa tabaraka-smuka, wa ta'ala jadduka, wa la ilaha ghayruk."

"Praise and glory be to You, O Allah. Blessed be Your Name, exalted be Your Majesty and Glory. There is no god worthy of worship but You."
2) Placing the palm of one's right hand on the left hand over one's chest in the standing position.

3) Raising one's hands with the fingers joined together parallel to one's shoulders or ears upon the first Takbir, upon bowing, rising from bowing, and upon standing to begin the third Rak'ah after the first Tashahhud.

4) Pronouncing Tasbih more that once while bowing and prostrating.

[One's saying, Subhana Rabbiyal-'Azim (Glory to my Lord, the Exalted) Subhana Rabbiyal-'A'la, (Glory to my Lord, the Most High) in the bowing position and in the prostrating position.]

5) One's saying Rabbighfir li "Forgive me, my Lord" more than once while sitting between the two prostrations.

6) Making one's head straight and on the same level with one's back (while bowing).

7) Separating one's upper arms from one's sides and one's stomach from one's thighs while prostrating.

8) Lifting one's arms and elbows from the floor while prostrating.

9) Resting on one's left leg while raising the right foot erect with the toes bent forward while reciting the first Tashahhud and between the two prostrations.

10) Resting on one's haunch during the final Tashahhud, while raising the right foot erect with the toes bent forward.

11) Invoking Allah's peace and Blessings upon the Prophet :saw: and his family as well as upon Prophet Ibrahim (aalayhis-salaam) and his family in the first Tashahhud. This reads:

["Allahumma salli ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad kama salyata ala Ibrahim, wa ala ali Ibrabih, innaka Hamidun Majid, wa barik ala Muhammad wa ala ali Muhammad kma barkt ala Ibrahim wa ala ali Ibrahim innak Hamid Majid."

"O Allah, send Your Favor (Graces and Honours) on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad as You have sent Your Favour (Graces and Honours) on Ibrahim and on the family of Ibrahim. You are the Most Praised, Most Glorious. O Allah, bestow Your Blessings on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad as You have blessed Ibrahim and the family of Ibrahim. You are the Most Praised, Most Glorious."]

12) Supplications in the final Tashahhud.

13) To recite the Qur'aan loudly in Fajr prayers as well as in the first two Rak'at of Maghrib and 'Isha prayers.

14) To recite the Qur'aan quietly in Zuhr and 'Asr prayers, in the third Rak'ah of Maghrib prayer, and in the last two Rak'at of 'Isha' prayer.

15) To recite any other Surah of the Qur'aan besides Surat al-Fatihah, while observing the rest of the Sunan of the prayers other than what we have briefly mentioned here.
Fajr, Salaat al- - pre-dawn prayer. The first of the obligatory five daily prayers.

Zhuhr, Salaat az- - mid-afternoon prayer. The second of the obligatory five daily prayers.

‘Asr. Salaat al- - late afternoon prayer. The third of the obligatory five daily prayers.

Maghrib, Salaat al- - after sunset prayer. The fourth of the obligatory five daily prayers.

‘Ishaa, Salaat al- - night prayer. The fifth of the obligatory five daily prayers.

Attachments

• Istifah.mp3
    159.6 KB · Views: 13

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Eleven

Invalidators of Prayer

The invalidators of prayer are eight. They are as follows:

1) To talk intentionally while knowing that this act invalidates prayer. To talk out of ignorance or forgetfulness does not, however, invalidate one's prayer.

2) Laughter.

3) Eating.

4) Drinking.

5) Exposure of one's private parts.

6) Extreme divergence from the direction of Qiblah.

7) Excessive and continuous movements during prayers.

8) The breaking of one's Wudu'.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Twelve

Conditions of Wudhoo

Wudhoo – “minor ritual purification”, ablution with clean and pure water, required for the performance of prayers and other such acts.

The conditions of Wudu' are ten. They are as follows:

1) Islaam.

Islaam – literally means “Total submission to the Will of Allaah”. In this context, Islaam is the only religion recognised by Allaah. Its message (There is none truly worthy of worship except Allaah) was the same Message delivered by all Prophets. This divine religion was completed with revelations in the form of the Noble Qur’aan given to the last Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam).

2) Sanity.

3) Discernment.

4) Intention.

5) Accompanying the ruling of the intention. This means that one does not intend to interrupt Wudu' until it is completed.

6) Complete cessation of that which requires one to perform Wudhoo (such as urine and stool).

7) Washing one's private parts with water or a dry substance (i.e. soil, stones, toilet paper, etc.).

8) Purity and permissibility of the water with which one intends to perform Wudu'.

9) To remove anything that may prevent water from reaching the skin.

10) Commencement of the actual prayer time for those whose state of breaking Wudu' is continuous against their will.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Thirteen

The Obligatory Acts of Wudhoo

The obligatory acts of Wudhoo are six. They are as follows:

1) Washing the face including the mouth and the nostrils.

2) Washing the hands up to the elbows.

3) Passing wet hands over the head including the ears.

4) Washing the feet up to the ankles.

5) Observing the right order in Wudhoo.

6) Observing constancy and continuity between the acts of Wudhoo.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Fourteen

Invalidators of Wudhoo

The invalidators of Wudhoo are six. They are:

1) Discharging anything from the two natural orifices.

2) Discharging anything from the body that is deemed filty and impure.

3) Entering into a state of unconsciousness as a result of sleep or anything else.

4) Touching one's private parts (the sexual organ or the rectum) without a 'partition' (such as gloves).

5) Eating camel meat.

6) Apostasy from Islaam (may Allah save the Muslims from falling into it.) [Ameen.]

Important Remarks

The act of washing the body of the deceased does not invalidate one's Wudu'. This is the opinion of the majority of Muslim scholars, as there is no textual evidence from the Qur'aan or the Sunnah to prove this. If the person who undertakes the washing accidentally touches the private parts of the deceased without a covering (on his hand), then he or she should perform Wudhoo.

The act of touching a woman does not invalidate one's Wudhoo, whether this is done with a lust or not, as long as this does not result in a discharge. This is the opinion of the majority of Muslim scholars. The evidence brought forward in this regard is that the Prophet :saw: kissed some of his wives, then he prayed without performing Wudu' again.

The Qur'aanic Verse:

"...or if you have been in contact with women".

(4:43)

Simply means sexual intercourse. This is the most correct opinion of the Muslim scholars, including that of 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas (radhiyAllaahu anh).

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Fifteen

Morals Every Muslim Must Observe

The morals that the Qur'aan and the Sunnah call to are many. These include the following:

1) Truthfulness.

2) Faithfulness.

3) Chastity.

4) Modesty.

5) Bravery.

6) Generosity.

7) Fulfillment of trusts (obligations, payments, etc.).

8) Avoidance of all that Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) has forbidden.

9) Good neighbourliness, and

10) Giving assistance to the needy within one's capacity.

Subhaanahu wa ta’aala – Glory be to Him the Almighty.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Lesson Sixteen

Islaamic Manners

The Islaamic manners penetrate all aspects of life and include the following:

1) Greeting others.

2) Cheerful demeanor.

3) Eating and drinking with the right hand.

4) Islaamic etiquette upon entering and leaving one's house or the mosque.

5) Islaamic etiquette when travelling.

6) Displaying kindness to the parents, the relatives, the neighbours, the elderly, and the children.

7) Congratulating people on the occasion of having a new baby.

8) Giving condolences to the bereaved.