Ethanol in House Cleaning Products? HELP.

lightofnur

Assalammualaikum.

Firstly, I'm just going to say that I know there are different opinions on this topic (and one can research from creditable, evidence-backed sources, so I won't elaborate), and basically, the general opinion (and the strongest opinion, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong), is that ethanol is an impure substance, and whatever it is added to will become impure as well. According to some scholars, this includes denatured ethanol/alcohol, which basically means the alcohol in the product is rendered unsuitable to drink.

So my question is this:

Liquid floor cleaners use solvents, and most of the time, "Alcohol" is used as an antibacterial agent and/or solvent for the floor cleaners. When they say "Alcohol" at the back of the floor cleaner liquids, it could mean any of the three alcohols: Isopropyl Alcohol, Ethanol & another type of alcohol which I've forgotten, but is allowed; same goes to Isopropyl Alcohol, I think.

Sometimes, at the back of the bottle, it could be blatantly written as denatured alcohol/alcohol denat, which is the one I'm generally trying to avoid now. So now I'm in doubt, because many liquid floor cleaners don't display their ingredients/materials on the bottle. So how do we know what alcohol is being used, and let's say if the impermissible alcohol is indeed inside the bottle, what do we do? "Alcohol" is a common solvent in liquid floor cleaners. Wouldn't it get stuck to the soles of our feet while cleaning, and won't there be some dried and undried liquid residues on the floor (especially where we pray)? And if something drops on the ground and we touch it, wouldn't we need to wash everything that did? The same goes to when wringing the mop (with our hands or by a squeezer) and the heavy splashes of liquid hit our clothes, the floor, and our hands.

How would be pray in this state, especially when we're "transferring" the impure liquid to the prayer area with the soles of our feet (especially when wet)?

I know this may sound confusing and such a handful, but it's really a relevant question to ask when there are so many household items/products/etc. that have this kind of stuff inside. I hope someone can please provide a good answer with sources and a practical solution. This problem is eating me up with all the cleanliness issues and is beginning to make prayers difficult for me again, especially when the cleaner comes in and cleans the house with this liquid and unknowingly leaves many residues all over. And if she wrings the mop with her hand and touches everything else, I simply don't know how to clean it all up.

Please give a quick answer. May Allah heavily Bless everyone who took their time to read this.

strive-may-i

Walaikum Ssalaam,

The irony of modern home. Lot of toxic substance, to clean whom I wonder :)

You could try a homemade solution using good old soap water + Vinegar or Borax. Aren't non-alcoholic varieties available? Is Alcohol based disinfectant a must. is it for some medical reason, a sick elder etc... ?

Goes against the commercial ads might suggest, My reasoning is that homes are relatively cleaner, especially places like bedroom, prayer area. Is it proven that soap water etc are no longer enough to keep the house safe for the toddler? If its proven, then in the name of modernity, we have added more impurity!

May Allah give us enough wisdom to conserve and save this beautiful planet.... Ameen